Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Mnintosh stereo equipment
Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 12, 2018 05:12

A friend of mine has some Macintosh stereo equipment for sale. (Receivers, amps, FM tuners etc). Totals about $7000. Is this really the top end. It’s way too high for me but I am just curious. It’s about 15 years old

Re: OT - Mnintosh stereo equipment
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 12, 2018 07:05

That stuff is astronomically priced. I've seen some amps costs $35K. Do some research on the particular models and go from there, this would be my recommendation.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 12, 2018 15:20

Fully engaged geeky audiophiles (I know a few), believe that Macintosh is coasting on a reputation built in 60s-80s and is no longer the best of the best. Many manufacturers of high-end tube amps have far surpassed them in quality, price and reputation. I have Audio Research tube amps myself.

HBK

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 12, 2018 16:29

Thanks it’s out of my league but I was curious

Date: October 12, 2018 18:40

The 15 year old McIntosh amp might be nice but, a 15 year old receiver or sound processor will be unable to handle some of the better modern formats ..... and obsolete (unless you can use the older receiver just as an amp with a new sound processor).

A dedicated amplifier is an amplifier so it will not be or become obsolete.

Anyway,I generally agree with what is posted above. McIntosh has a good reputation but,over-priced and maybe coasting on that reputation built from around 30 to 40 years ago.

Their amplifiers and MVP901 and MVP881 disc players look interesting,though.

Mid to High-End audio equipment ..... I would look at Anthem, Parasound, NAD, Pass Labs, and Rogue Audio.

Arcam is hit or miss depending on specific models with reliability. Usually great sounding equipment.

In the more affordable value category,Emotiva and Outlaw Audio deserve mention.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home