Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Listing Albums Artwork
Posted by: josepi ()
Date: November 2, 2018 22:06

Shout out to MrDDDD

Thanks to your post in this thread I just now noticed for the very fist time that the covers from 12 X 5 and OOOH were from the same photo shoot. Either that or they didn't change clothes much back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 22:08 by josepi.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 3, 2018 01:15

rogerriffin
Really don´t like Grrregory´s picture??

it´s really a piece of art, in the super deluxe boxset you can see the little hairs in the painting, i really like the concept and the merchandising about GRRR!

The only good Vegas era cover. I like it. The worst is ABB.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 3, 2018 15:25

Palace Revolution 2000

Ok here is another classic boot cover.

Is that by Gilbert Shelton? The guy that did the Dead and Janis Joplin covers.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: November 3, 2018 15:30

FrogSugar
Palace Revolution 2000

William Stout. He did a lot of Stones bootleg covers.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 3, 2018 15:31

The Rolling Stones (Decca, U.K.) is my favourite. Just four moody looking young men. No words necessary on the sleeve. The picture says everything.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 3, 2018 16:29

I liked Gregory. At least it's humorous. The trouble was that the gorilla wasn't accompanied with a real album. Only two songs on top of the usual rehashes...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2018 17:33

I think that Gorilla would have kicked Godzilla's ass! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 3, 2018 18:13

Big Al
The Rolling Stones (Decca, U.K.) is my favourite. Just four moody looking young men. No words necessary on the sleeve. The picture says everything.

Four moody looking young men?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 3, 2018 19:14

How about that dog pulling the girl's pant ( in an appropriate way) representing the Coppertone commercial to fight sunburn back in the 60's?

Date: November 3, 2018 19:26

FrogSugar
Palace Revolution 2000

Gilbert Shelton drew "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers".
The artist you're thinking of is Robert Crumb. [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: November 3, 2018 21:30

Deltics
Big Al

Maybe he referred to a reissue with Bill airbrushed out? winking smiley

Date: November 3, 2018 21:43

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
Big Al

Of course, I'd forgotten about that one!

Date: November 3, 2018 22:06

grinning smiley

Date: November 4, 2018 04:40

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
Big Al

Of course, I'd forgotten about that one!

Did this really happen? Did they airbrush Bill out of that cover?
I can not get into calling the Stones a 4 piece band - ever.

Date: November 4, 2018 12:39

No.

Date: November 4, 2018 19:09

Deltics
FrogSugar
Palace Revolution 2000

Ok, I was wrong about the Big Brother and the Holding Company album cover...but Shelton did indeed do the Dead's Shakedown Street cover smiling smiley

Date: November 4, 2018 19:19

FrogSugar
Deltics
FrogSugar
Palace Revolution 2000

Ok, I was wrong about the Big Brother and the Holding Company album cover...but Shelton did indeed do the Dead's Shakedown Street cover smiling smiley

He did indeed.

Date: November 5, 2018 16:53

As far as Stones album covers go,I never understood the popularity of the Sticky Fingers album cover among straight men.

A great album but,the cover / artwork is nothing that I enjoy seeing,myself.

I would rank the covers / artwork of Voodoo Lounge , Steel Wheels , and Emotional Rescue way ahead of the Sticky Fingers "artwork".

Date: November 6, 2018 01:27

Winning Ugly VXII
As far as Stones album covers go,I never understood the popularity of the Sticky Fingers album cover among straight men.

I would rank the covers / artwork of Voodoo Lounge , Steel Wheels , and Emotional Rescue way ahead of the Sticky Fingers "artwork".

Perhaps you prefer these fine selections! (first one's Balls to the Wall by Accept, a great album)

or

grinning smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 14, 2018 08:35

Argh! What a mistake to make. My apologies, Bill. You were an integral part of the Stones’ landscape!

Date: November 14, 2018 16:56

I do not understand the reasoning behind this ridiculous airbrushing of Wyman's image.
It simply makes no sense.
If he were hideous to look at, and the Stones were in a part of their career where they are trying to portray a flashy image, it would make sense. But he was one of the tough looking ones all up to the 80's. And they are in their 70's - they are not going to teeny bopper market anymore.
If he had royally pissed them off, and this was an ongoing act of vengeance, it would make sense. But he retired in basically good standing with rest of band.
If it was a matter of them just wanting to be known as a 4 piece it would make a little sense, but they are one of the most photographed acts in the world. Everybody knows their story and legacy, and cover artwork - so you can't tell the world "we have been a 4 piece all along".

Makes no f&ckin sense to me. There is no upside to this. What is the advantage? Its not even worth the cost of having to get him removed from pics. Let alone the hurt it puts on Bill.

Date: November 14, 2018 18:03

Palace Revolution 2000
I do not understand the reasoning behind this ridiculous airbrushing of Wyman's image.
If he were hideous to look at, and the Stones were in a part of their career where they are trying to portray a flashy image, it would make sense. But he was one of the tough looking ones all up to the 80's. And they are in their 70's - they are not going to teeny bopper market anymore.
If he had royally pissed them off, and this was an ongoing act of vengeance, it would make sense. But he retired in basically good standing with rest of band.
If it was a matter of them just wanting to be known as a 4 piece it would make a little sense, but they are one of the most photographed acts in the world. Everybody knows their story and legacy, and cover artwork - so you can't tell the world "we have been a 4 piece all along".

Makes no f&ckin sense to me. There is no upside to this. What is the advantage? Its not even worth the cost of having to get him removed from pics. Let alone the hurt it puts on Bill.

Fer goodness sake.
I did for a joke!
It doesn't exist out there in the real world!
Sensayumabypass

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 14, 2018 20:23

Deltics

Fer goodness sake.
I did for a joke!
Sensayumabypass

Remember ...

Posting photoshop faked pictures on IORR might be fun but in general will not allow it.

Date: November 14, 2018 22:48

Deltics
Palace Revolution 2000

Fer goodness sake.
I did for a joke!
Sensayumabypass

Not talking about the 'Hitmakers' cover.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: November 14, 2018 22:52

FrogSugar
Winning Ugly VXII

Perhaps you prefer these fine selections! (first one's Balls to the Wall by Accept, a great album)

or

grinning smiley

Ha! Still laughing, my fav post for the day

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 15, 2018 01:31

Winning Ugly VXII

Because... it's art? Because... that's just a weird mentality. Straight men shouldn't like the cover of STICKY FINGERS.

That's just flat out whack.

What's next? Straight men shouldn't like SOME GIRLS because the Stones seem to appear dressed in drag? Or the cover of HYSYMBSITS? Is the inside sleeve of BLACK AND BLUE too feminine? I'm sure there's more.

I'm straight and it's fine with me. Not sure what you issue is with that. So you like bad album artwork like VOODOO LOUNGE and STEEL WHEELS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. I'm gonna guess you love DIRTY WORK.

Date: November 15, 2018 01:34

redkev
Always thought Let It Bleed's cover somehow didn't fit with the album.

That artwork was done when the title was AUTOMATIC CHANGER. That's why it makes zero sense.

Date: November 15, 2018 01:48

MADE IN THE SHADE is a great cover. The photo it was based on for those that have never seen it... [semensperms.com]

The original photo that was used for UNDERCOVER I found once, can't find it now.

Date: November 18, 2018 06:49

GasLightStreet
Winning Ugly VXII

Because... it's art? Because... that's just a weird mentality. Straight men shouldn't like the cover of STICKY FINGERS.

That's just flat out whack.

What's next? Straight men shouldn't like SOME GIRLS because the Stones seem to appear dressed in drag? Or the cover of HYSYMBSITS? Is the inside sleeve of BLACK AND BLUE too feminine? I'm sure there's more.

I'm straight and it's fine with me. Not sure what you issue is with that. So you like bad album artwork like VOODOO LOUNGE and STEEL WHEELS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE. I'm gonna guess you love DIRTY WORK.

It's not weird that a straight guy doesn't like pictures of another guy's private area.

It kind of goes along with being a straight guy.

By definition,a straight guy would rather see a female. Like on the "Sticky Fingers Revisited" bootleg. GhostRyder 14

So,it makes the official album cover bad to me as a straight guy.

VOODOO LOUNGE and STEEL WHEELS and especially EMOTIONAL RESCUE look like good album covers to me and definitely better than 'Sticky Fingers' "artwork".

That's my honest opinion. If you like it,don't let me rain on your parade.

Date: November 18, 2018 07:14

Your rigidity is duly noted, as is your view on "good album covers".

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home