Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Listing Albums Artwork
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 13, 2018 14:05

Hated Love You Live album cover when it came out in 1977 when I was 15 years old. Never a huge fan of the album. Musically it could have been so much better. El Mocambo side is great, but boy was it a let down from Ya Yas, and the great boot LA Friday. Now I actually find the out side cover really cool. A 15 year old kid from southern NH just didn’t get Warhol at the time. Still think the inside gatefold art work sucks.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 13, 2018 15:24

I also think Grrrr is pretty good, at least it is bold and interesting, which is a lot more than can be said for the extremely dull Blue n Lonesome.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 13, 2018 18:02

I hope Artist Ron Wood
designs
The Next New Rolling Stones Album.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 13, 2018 18:04

Well, I'm not sure artwork was really a strength for our boys LOL.

I think my fav would be "Sticky Fingers" but a close second could be the original "Some Girls"

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 13, 2018 18:16

NICOS
This one was very enjoyable to look at listing to GYYYO at the age of 17....as if I was at the concerts back in '69

I also was 17 when this came out. I remember while riding home on the bus I was totally exited about these pics on the back.

Date: October 13, 2018 18:25

[imgur.com]

The one cover that the band must've put a lot of work into, is the one we have not touched upon in this thread yet: 'Their Satanic Majesties'
What do you guys think?

PS - I used imgur; how do I make the actual image show up in post?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2018 20:11

Palace Revolution 2000
[imgur.com]

The one cover that the band must've put a lot of work into, is the one we have not touched upon in this thread yet: 'Their Satanic Majesties'
What do you guys think?

PS - I used imgur; how do I make the actual image show up in post?

Right click on your image on imgur site, and "copy image location"

Click on "insert image url" above just to the right of "insert url".
Erase the http:// in the little box that appears, and paste entire image url (w/http"//)into space, then click OK.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 13, 2018 20:17

Palace Revolution 2000

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 13, 2018 20:24

Naturally fitting here is IORR.smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 14, 2018 03:02

peoplewitheyes
I also think Grrrr is pretty good, at least it is bold and interesting, which is a lot more than can be said for the extremely dull Blue n Lonesome.

A gorilla? It's pathetic! Just as bad as the album title!

Date: October 14, 2018 08:18

schillid
Palace Revolution 2000

I can't recall what the actual 3 D cover does. is that your work Schillid?

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 09:29

my vote(s) go to
Between the Buttons
Through the Past Darkly
Exile On Main St
original Some Girls
(Spanish) Sticky Fingers

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 14, 2018 15:17

Exile, Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet and Some Girls are classic.

Let it Bleed, IORR, Tattoo You and Voodoo Lounge are good.

ER, GHS and Love You Live are ok.

The rest: meh...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 15, 2018 15:56

I like the covers on a few of the older discount compilations: Get Stoned, Stone Age and Slow Rollers.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: October 15, 2018 16:30

Live In England '65 is great! Too bad it's not a standalone release..

Date: October 15, 2018 18:03

Palace Revolution 2000
is that your work Schillid?

Check out: The ATTIC

Date: October 15, 2018 18:20

schillid
Palace Revolution 2000
is that your work Schillid?

Check out: The ATTIC

I probably should chip in on utility bills in the Attic. And seen the Satanic post. So that is yours.

Date: October 15, 2018 18:24

Yup

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 15, 2018 20:19

The "censored" spanish SF is also a very good one that one should list here as well if you ask me.

HMN

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 15, 2018 20:35

One I don't think anybody has mentioned yet is the cover to Made in the Shade. It's really nice, quite evocative, and it made me quite pleased to purchase the LP even though I already had everything on it.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 15, 2018 20:37

blivet
One I don't think anybody has mentioned yet is the cover to Made in the Shade. It's really nice, quite evocative, and it made me quite pleased to purchase the LP even though I already had everything on it.

thumbs upthumbs up

C

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2018 05:33

blivet

Those comps generally have great covers. MITS is awesome. I liked TWFNO, SIT70s and I thought REWIND was really good.

After that... forget it.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: October 16, 2018 06:01

I like how the first few UK covers sorta set up a series.. December's Children I think was their first UK album to have the band name on it...love Aftermath, Buttons, Satanic, Beggar's, LIB, SF, Exile and A Bigger Bang (not seen much love for that cover, I think its a great pic...I like GHS, IORR, Black Blue, Some Girls, ER, Undercover, DW, Bridges (I have the slipcase version and I think the whole concept looks good.) I don't care for Tattoo You (that doesn't look like Mick at all), SW (boring) Voodoo is ok and B & L is boring as well...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 16, 2018 11:08

All albums post Undercover suck big time, I don't even want to think about which is the worst.

Of the pre-and-including Undercover period, I'd say their best album-covers are Black and Blue and their first 3 or 4 albums (just those guys posing with non-smiling faces). The toilet-cover of Beggar's Banquet is cool too. The worst from that period is It's Only Rock and Roll and Their Satanic Majesties.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: October 16, 2018 22:54

Always thought Let It Bleed's cover somehow didn't fit with the album. Maybe if I had been a fan at the time and bought it when it came out I would feel different. SF, Exile, SG, GYYYO would be my favourite covers. The photograph with the open suitcase and other artefacts from the 69 tour would probably have been an even better and more fitting cover for GYYYO. Pity they didn't have photoshop back then to get rid of the joint which Mick didn't like.

The mid 60s ones were all very good for that era - especially BTB.

I doubt too many braincells were used for DW or BnL which are probably my least favourite. Shame because BnL was such an excellent album, it deserved better and with the title and musical style the scope for a much more interesting creative cover was huge.

GHS is another cover that in my mid doesn't quite fit with the album - the inside artwork was more literal and perhaps more appropriate.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 16, 2018 23:23

Top 5:
Get Your Yayas Out - fun!
IORR - majestic cover for a crappy album
Black and Blue - amazing photography, original
Undercover - she turns me on! I love the butt on the rear end of the CD (pun intented)
Bridges to Babylon - never liked the album but love the art

5 worst:
Dirty Work - ugh...
Flashpoint - lame...
Still Life - never liked it, even with the Eiffel Tower
Emotional Rescue - crap, artistic fail...
A Bigger Bang - this one always reminds me of Grateful Dead's last album, Built to Last

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 16, 2018 23:35

35love
I hope Artist Ron Wood
designs
The Next New Rolling Stones Album.

YES!! That would be so great. His artwork on albums like his solo records "Gimme Some Neck", "Live at the Ritz" and "Not For Beginners" and Clapton's "Crossroads" box set are classic to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-16 23:38 by floodonthepage.

Date: November 2, 2018 16:01

How could I forget the boot covers? I will try and start posting them here. And anyone who feel like chipping in...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 16:02 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: November 2, 2018 18:30

Ok here is another classic boot cover.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 2, 2018 19:16

Lotta love here for the invitation artwork for BB. The toilet is fine but it will just always be the RSVP cover that brings back the memories. And then opening out to the gatefold and the gloriously debauched banquet scene within. Memories ...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1828
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home