Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: O.T. RnR Hall of Fame class of 2019 announced
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 14, 2018 07:27

Kanye is next. confused smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 14, 2018 09:17

I'm surprised Kanye isn't in there yet. The only attention I have for the rnrhof is when I read about it here.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 14, 2018 10:02

It don't mean a thang till they nail Harmonica Frank's name up on da wall ….... Rock-A-Little Baby

ROCKMAN

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 14, 2018 10:33

Nicks and Jackson bring more women into the Hall, but there must be previously overlooked women who are more deserving. I'm glad Roxy Music and the Zombies got in.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 14, 2018 15:37

Radiohead, The Cure and Roxy Music make complete sense.

Maybe if they limited it to 3 new entries per year there would be a feeling of a bit more exclusivity?

At this point with so few uber rock and roll acts not already inducted why fill the void with all these marginal and non rock acts? They can still do the show around the main inductees and add in their influences and other things.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 14, 2018 15:55

Ridiculous list. And I'm a fan of a number of those bands. I love the Zombies and Def Leppard. I don't think they are Hall Of Fame bands. They are very good bands, but this (should be) a top honor in a perfect Hall and I just don't think they fit. Odsessy and Oracle is one of the greatest albums of all time. I don't think that alone should get them into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. They didn't truly do enough to separate themselves from the rest of the 60s bands which is kind of the point of a Hall Of Fame band. Yes, Def Leppard were founders of that New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, and I think their first 3 albums are fantastic. But come on, they are just a fine band, and that really is coming from a big fan. I just don't think they did anything truly incredible that would warrant such a distinction. They would go in a Very Good Band Hall Of Fame, not the best of the best (I know the Hall isn't that anymore).

Still strange to see these people go in when people like Harry Nilsson, Jethro Tull and many other worthy inductions don't even get nominated. I'm a bigger fan of Def Leppard, but if you're talking truly changed the game with continued success, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden deserve the honor way more.

Re: OT: And The 2019 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees Are ....
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 16:55

Def Leppard is one of the foundational NWOBHM bands, and then they took a massive left turn to become a hugely successful pop metal band. The sales figures they hit with Pyromania and especially Hysteria make them worthy of HoF induction.

Priest, Maiden and Motorhead all deserved to be in years ago, but we all know that Wenner and Co. have a massive anti-metal bias.

The only reason Sabbath and Metallica got in is because they're both so huge and popular that they simply couldn't be denied, bias or not.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 14, 2018 17:45

Stevie Nicks how did she get in as a solo artist ? If the Rock and Roll Hall has this low bar then many more of the classic band members that go off on their own should also get in.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 14, 2018 19:18

MIA: Nicky Hopkins.

50 years later, "Sympathy for the Devil" gets played everyday on rock radio.

"She's a Rainbow" is back in a big way, and playing on TV. Hopkins' playing is essential to both of those recordings.

If there is a sideman who belongs in, it's Nicky.

Oh yeah. There's also that other guy who played with the Beatles and the Stones: Billy Preston.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 14, 2018 20:54

OpenG
Stevie Nicks how did she get in as a solo artist ? If the Rock and Roll Hall has this low bar then many more of the classic band members that go off on their own should also get in.

Ringo Starr is in the HOF as a solo act. That may be part of their justification.

Date: December 14, 2018 21:02

marianna
OpenG

Ringo Starr is in the HOF as a solo act. That may be part of their justification.

Ringo is actually very specifically not in as a solo artist but got an Award for Musical Excellence. Sure its essentially the same thing, but there's a reason it has a different title. Leon Russell is in in the same way, as is someone like Nile Rodgers. Its a weird little thing, but its different than what Stevie Nicks is getting. Stevie Nicks is being honored for her solo catalogue, laughable as that is. Ringo was basically given a participation award, which I'm fine with, the guy is a Beatle. But it is different.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 14, 2018 21:09

Realistically, there are no more than 25 or so acts that truly belong.

It's became anyone who had a hit or video on MTV.

Preaching to the choir.....

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:47

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
What was so great about Stevie Nicks solo career? Why is she in there? Maybe because he singing sheep version of Silent night?

she is massively huge and influential as a solo artist

I don't think you should talk about her weight gain.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 14, 2018 22:51

I love Stevie. I think she's a borderline case for induction, but are any of her solo songs aside from "Edge of Seventeen" and "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" ever played on classic rock radio?

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:08

Why then not Keith Richards solo work - I am not sure Keith would want to go in as soloist since MJ kind of forced Keith into making Talk is Cheap because of no tour with Dirty Work, with Keith it was always about the band.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 14, 2018 23:10

keefriff99
I love Stevie. I think she's a borderline case for induction, but are any of her solo songs aside from "Edge of Seventeen" and "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" ever played on classic rock radio?

her voice was great when i saw her last month & she didn't talk too much. i actually got misty during her performance of "free falling". she gave it everything she had & it was very powerful & emotional. i just read an interview with lindsey where he was calling it a cover band. don't think that's fair. apart from the drum solo, it was an excellent show. lindsey was definitely gloating & it wasn't very becoming. & i'm a fan of his. sorry got a bit off track. i think the cure are very deserving of getting inducted. & word is there is going to be a new record in march! i might be in minority on this site but i think nine inch nails need to get in. it appears that trent reznor is committed to carrying the torch for david bowie. appropriate because david mentored him. i've been listening to a lot of tapes from the north american tour that is just wrapping up. stunning, both the old & new material. & the current band is amazing. there has been some sort of really good bowie tribute every night & the setlists overall have been totally different every night. check out the site reflecting in the chrome if you're interested. great tape site that has been blessed by trent although not officially. sorry if i'm rambling. running a big fever.

Date: December 14, 2018 23:15

keefriff99

around here:
leather and lace
stand back
I can't wait

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 15, 2018 01:06

I heard Def Leopard's 'Let's Get Rocked' on the radio the other day for the first time in decades...

...shit sandwich

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 15, 2018 02:59

crholmstrom

i just read an interview with lindsey where he was calling it a cover band. don't think that's fair. apart from the drum solo, it was an excellent show. lindsey was definitely gloating & it wasn't very becoming. & i'm a fan of his. sorry got a bit off track.

Interesting - is there a link to the interview.
Maybe post in Fleetwood Mac thread?

Evidently the lawsuit has been settled.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 15, 2018 04:26

keefriff99

Those songs get her into the hall and Bonnie Raitt doesn't even get mentioned.
Does Nicks even play an instrument or does she just scribble words on a piece of paper and calls herself a musician?

Singing sheep

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 04:30 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: December 15, 2018 05:06

More Hot Rocks
keefriff99

Does Nicks even play an instrument or does she just scribble words on a piece of paper and calls herself a musician?

Singing sheep

[www.youtube.com]

Definite similarities...

Sheep

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 15, 2018 05:32

No doobie brothers, Tull, wtf and J Geils Band. Hard to believe they vote for some that have limited success

Date: December 15, 2018 14:48

black n blue
No doobie brothers, Tull, wtf and J Geils Band. Hard to believe they vote for some that have limited success

no grand funk, judas priest, iron maiden, motorhead, megadeth, bad company, etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 14:48 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: December 15, 2018 22:03

No Harry Nilsson, Joe Cocker, Ozzy Osbourne solo which is super deserving either.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 15, 2018 22:26

Hairball
More Hot Rocks
keefriff99

Singing sheep

[www.youtube.com]

Definite similarities...

Sheep

Besides their sex, I see no similarities. Bonnie is one of the top blues guitarists playing these days male or female, is a solid songwriter and has been doing it for 40 years. Makes the nomination of Janet Jackson that much more wrong.

Date: December 15, 2018 22:34

daspyknows
Hairball
More Hot Rocks
keefriff99

Singing sheep

[www.youtube.com]

Definite similarities...

Sheep

Besides their sex, I see no similarities. Bonnie is one of the top blues guitarists playing these days male or female, is a solid songwriter and has been doing it for 40 years. Makes the nomination of Janet Jackson that much more wrong.

The similarities had nothing to do with Bonnie Raitt who I admire and have seen several times - including opening for and performing with the Stones, and in a very small theater as headliner.
The similarities cited were Stevie Nicks' vocals compared to the video of the sheep noises I posted (did you not see that?) - and it was tongue-in-cheek of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-15 22:34 by Hairball.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 15, 2018 22:39

daspyknows
Hairball
More Hot Rocks
keefriff99

Singing sheep

[www.youtube.com]

Definite similarities...

Sheep

You don't get it. We are comparing Nicks to Singing sheep. definite similarities read again.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 16, 2018 05:04

Again the MC5 are snubbed. Shithouse of fame. Janet Jackson is in but no MC5...
I shaked my head when I read she had got in but then laughed immediately when I remembered that episode of the office where Michael mentioned he went to the previous years Halloween party dressed as Janet Jackson’s boob. grinning smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 15, 2019 09:49

Trent Reznor is going to induct the Cure. Perfect choice. David Bowie is smiling somewhere. smiling smiley

Date: March 15, 2019 14:33

Trent Reznor should be getting inducted on his own.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1350
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home