Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: OT: And The 2019 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Nominees Are ....
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 9, 2018 23:13

roxy music and kraftwerk came from an era where music was competitive, so many great bands and influences were around in those days, so it was more difficult to get noticed.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 10, 2018 00:56

I signed up to vote. The only one I could justify voting for is Roxy Music. I like some of the artists, but don't find them HOF-worthy.

It may be worth signing up for, if you don't mind being added to yet another marketing list. The fan vote has some weight (though they don't clearly show how much). The site also shows the current leaders. Stevie Nicks is number one, Def Leppard is in second.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 10, 2018 01:31

The fan vote has zero weight.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 10, 2018 03:19

According to my confirmation e-mail, the fan vote counts as one full vote for each of the top five fan vote-getters. I'm not sure how many formal voters there are (among music critics, hall members, etc.), but it could make a difference in a very narrow margin. The poll results could also influence some voters.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 10, 2018 03:40

Sorry but there are at least 1000 voters.
A million fans could conceivably vote for a band, win the fan vote and not get in...
Zero weight.

It’s a complete sham designed to generate interest and conversation leading up to the TV show.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 10, 2018 03:42

MC5 and Todd

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 10, 2018 05:02

Where is the doobie brothers and tull

Date: October 10, 2018 05:10

MC5
Kraftwerk
Roxy Music
Todd Rundgren
Rufus

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: October 10, 2018 06:05

MC5 & Todd Rundgren (not sure he will accept). Oh & Joe Cocker & Jetro Tull.
Oh they're already in right? Yeah right!

Date: October 10, 2018 06:15

HOF is an absolute joke.
Where is BLUE OYSTER CULT?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2018 06:50

HOF is an absolute joke.

Hand Of Fate is a solid rocker ………………………….hhhhaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 10, 2018 08:41

Jann Wenner runs the thing,this is a guy who put a terrorist who murdered a little kid and blew peoples legs off at the Boston Marathon on the cover of his piece of shit magazine cause,you know he’s like provocative maaan.
He’s a money grubbing little jerkoff who doesn’t care about Rock and Roll one bit.
Steve Miller has a great story about Wenner and what a idiot he was when Miller was accepted,you could tell he didn’t wanna go but did it for other people around him.
I wish a tornado would hit that place and blow it into the middle of Lake Erie.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 10, 2018 10:31

Maybe they could change it to the Popular Music Hall of Fame. That way we won't expect nominees to be Rock and Roll.

Date: October 10, 2018 11:47

frankotero
Maybe they could change it to the Popular Music Hall of Fame. That way we won't expect nominees to be Rock and Roll.

Yep, rock as a musical genre is watered down by this nonsense.

LL Cool J? Kraftwerk?

Imagine this: While Kraftwerk is «playing» live in the Hall, Peter Wolf and the J. Geils Band will still be waiting for induction.

A disgrace.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 10, 2018 12:46

the cure deserve to get in. their music has held up real well for the most part & they are still a mighty live band. for various reasons i voted for the following also: roxy, radiohead, todd rundgren & def leppard. a fairly diverse bunch & all decidedly rock & roll in its various guises.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 10, 2018 13:15

Everything about that little man Jann Wenner is so overly political .Which if you trace back the roots and DNA of Rock and Roll (which was born from the Blues) is all about anti establishment and anti DA MAN and this has turned into a label that I can not even grasp or articulate into words. Shame on Jann Wenner and all his minions . Bravo Lem Motlow for calling out that rag that put the terrorist on the cover of the rag !

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 10, 2018 13:16

RollingFreak
All not in either. Probably many that don't deserve but are as good as many nominated or already in:

Badfinger
Boston
Don McLean
George Thorogood
Grand Funk Railroad
Harry Nilsson
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Jethro Tull
Joe Cocker
Meat Loaf
The Monkees
Ozzy Osbourne
Peter Frampton
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
T. Rex
Whitesnake

Now that's a list I actually listen to...

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 10, 2018 14:04

Since The Moody Blues and Yes got in the last couple of years the only band I care about now is Jethro Tull! I saw them play in football stadiums in the 70's, would love to hear an Ian Anderson acceptance speech!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 10, 2018 14:18

John Prine is the only artist from the list I'd vote in, but he himself called it an "unexpected" surprise. Cause of how he's not rock, I suppose.
Make the rock hall rock again.

J Geils Band deserves to be on the list again and in the hall, which undoubtably some day they will, unfortunately long after their namesake musician is gone.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2018 15:41

TheGreek
Everything about that little man Jann Wenner is so overly political .Which if you trace back the roots and DNA of Rock and Roll (which was born from the Blues) is all about anti establishment and anti DA MAN and this has turned into a label that I can not even grasp or articulate into words. Shame on Jann Wenner and all his minions . Bravo Lem Motlow for calling out that rag that put the terrorist on the cover of the rag !

If you read his book you'll see that he's just a horrible @#$%& man. And he's like, strangely proud of it. He bent Jagger over a barrel when they first got the name, then finally let Mick Jagger be a part of it and Mick completely got back at him for just letting it be a cool place to hang. Jann had to step in and take it over, so ultimately got the name he wanted but Jagger didn't make it easy and I thank him for it.

And yeah, what pisses me off is its not at all rock. I mean it hasn't been for awhile, but its just ridiculous now. Madonna is a talented artist but she's not a rock artist and no one would call her one. Michael Jackson at least has roots in rock. Now these days we get bands that were actually known for being things that tried to escape the rock thing (LL Cool J? Are we serious?) and unfortunately all the pretenders to the throne of rock like Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, etc. Even Def Leppard who I'm a fan of. But come on, its a slap in the face to put them in a Hall with The Who, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones. You induct people like Prince because they were able to transcend their generation and add something new to the conversation. You don't just induct Journey cause they were popular at one time. It just goes against what the Hall was actually built for if everyone goes in. And it seems like the Hall and fans of particular bands don't see that. Its not crapping on your bands, but be realistic with their impact. And identity to true rock and roll.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 10, 2018 15:55

Kurt
Sorry but there are at least 1000 voters.
A million fans could conceivably vote for a band, win the fan vote and not get in.

Conceivably, but I think since they started doing a fan vote, the fan vote winner has always gotten in. It may be like marianna says, that the fan vote does have some influence on how the people whose votes actually matter decide to vote.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 10, 2018 15:58

Mr.D
Since The Moody Blues and Yes got in the last couple of years the only band I care about now is Jethro Tull! I saw them play in football stadiums in the 70's, would love to hear an Ian Anderson acceptance speech!

Jethro Tull tops my list of most deserving acts that have never even been nominated .... and they've been eligible since 1993.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 10, 2018 16:31

RollingFreak
And yeah, what pisses me off is its not at all rock. I mean it hasn't been for awhile, but its just ridiculous now. Madonna is a talented artist but she's not a rock artist and no one would call her one. Michael Jackson at least has roots in rock. Now these days we get bands that were actually known for being things that tried to escape the rock thing (LL Cool J? Are we serious?) and unfortunately all the pretenders to the throne of rock like Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, etc. Even Def Leppard who I'm a fan of. But come on, its a slap in the face to put them in a Hall with The Who, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones. You induct people like Prince because they were able to transcend their generation and add something new to the conversation. You don't just induct Journey cause they were popular at one time. It just goes against what the Hall was actually built for if everyone goes in. And it seems like the Hall and fans of particular bands don't see that. Its not crapping on your bands, but be realistic with their impact. And identity to true rock and roll.

It has nothing to do with what fans want as the fan vote proves year after year. That's fine since it is a private institution. They can and do operate as they see fit. Their decisions are based on who will show up at the ceremony and help generate a media buzz (therefore expect Katy Perry, Kanye West, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, etc. in coming years).

Saying Journey (for example) doesn't belong in a Hall of Fame is true in one sense, but the idea was this thing keep rolling year after year inducting people who had their first record 25 years before (or more). The fact that Journey is still a mainstay on radio (at least here in the States) is a guarantee they will get a nod. Once again, their appearance (like Def Leppard) will generate a media buzz.

One thing for certain, last year's debacle with Dire Straits won't be repeated. Neither Knopfler brother attended the ceremony for different reasons ("entirely personal" ones according to the acerbic statement written by Mark Knopfler). For the first time in the Hall's 32 year history, the artist (bass player John Illsley) was forced to induct the band himself because not a single performer, producer, or label executive was willing to step forward and do so. For better or worse, it appeared to be an induction made against the Hall's better judgement. A concession to fans for once that certainly did not pay off in terms of P.R.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 10, 2018 16:46

Rocky Dijon
One thing for certain, last year's debacle with Dire Straits won't be repeated. Neither Knopfler brother attended the ceremony for different reasons ("entirely personal" ones according to the acerbic statement written by Mark Knopfler). For the first time in the Hall's 32 year history, the artist (bass player John Illsley) was forced to induct the band himself because not a single performer, producer, or label executive was willing to step forward and do so. For better or worse, it appeared to be an induction made against the Hall's better judgement. A concession to fans for once that certainly did not pay off in terms of P.R.
How the hell did that happen though? Mark Knopfler is considered one of the finest guitarists ever and Dire Straits were a big band. How could NO ONE have been willing to step up and induct them?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 10, 2018 16:57

Can't believe I'm even acknowledging the HOF by posting, but it really is a joke so far removed from what it should be.

WAY too many acts in there that don't belong - and a few who aren't that do.

After the first wave of about 15 that were no-brainers, about 1 a year should be added. NOT ONE-HIT WONDERS FROM THE 80'S AND 90'S.

The rappers are a joke - they should be in the hip hop HOF when that sad day comes. I won't be visiting it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 10, 2018 17:00

ThePaleRider
RollingFreak
All not in either. Probably many that don't deserve but are as good as many nominated or already in:

Badfinger
Boston
Don McLean
George Thorogood
Grand Funk Railroad
Harry Nilsson
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Jethro Tull
Joe Cocker
Meat Loaf
The Monkees
Ozzy Osbourne
Peter Frampton
Squeeze
Steppenwolf
T. Rex
Whitesnake

Now that's a list I actually listen to...

Great line-up for a festival!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 10, 2018 17:11

The idea that Def Leppard belongs in the Hall of Fame is ridiculous. If they get in Poison, Motley Crue and Winger won’t be far behind.

The R+R Hall of Fame has (or is close to) reached a period where there is literally no acts that deserve the honor. What’s worse is when they start putting in rap acts (should Led Zepplin be in the rap/hip hop HOF?) that have zero reason to be included...The entire concept is a joke and now that joke is magnified as they have nearly no deserving nominees going forward.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 10, 2018 17:16

keefriff99
Rocky Dijon
How the hell did that happen though? Mark Knopfler is considered one of the finest guitarists ever and Dire Straits were a big band. How could NO ONE have been willing to step up and induct them?

Knopfler isn't a guy who has many friends in the industry. He was friendly for awhile with Clapton, but that soured. Clapton made some unflattering (but honest) remarks about Knopfler to a biographer a number of years ago. Numerous ex-Dire Straits members and sidemen have characterized him as an unforgiving taskmaster when leading a band. He appears to have softened in the last couple decades. His lyrics are hardly politically correct which doesn't endear him either.

Despite having a decent relationship with Dylan in the 1980s, when they toured together a few years ago they avoided one another entirely. He's an odd bird. Dismissive of stardom and its trappings. He doesn't suffer fools gladly. He's also more than a bit of a curmudgeon and has responded contemptuously when people associate his own views with his lyrics. When asked about whether the Stones were recording at British Grove (his studio), he responded "British Grove does not comment on current, past, or future clients." After it was confirmed the band was there, he was asked if he watched the sessions and answered, "They seemed to want to be left alone so we left them alone."

He's serious about guitar and recording. He demands audiences behave in an orderly fashion at concerts so everyone can enjoy the show. He is not a Greatest Hits guy at all. He's serious about his increasingly idiosyncratic songwriting which tends towards folk with influences such as Roger Miller and Gordon Lightfoot though it means he has become only a respected cult figure. He is an odd duck. A bit like Dylan without the legend behind him.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 10, 2018 17:21

Rocky Dijon
keefriff99
Rocky Dijon

Knopfler isn't a guy who has many friends in the industry. He was friendly for awhile with Clapton, but that soured. Clapton made some unflattering (but honest) remarks about Knopfler to a biographer a number of years ago. Numerous ex-Dire Straits members and sidemen have characterized him as an unforgiving taskmaster when leading a band. He appears to have softened in the last couple decades. His lyrics are hardly politically correct which doesn't endear him either.

Despite having a decent relationship with Dylan in the 1980s, when they toured together a few years ago they avoided one another entirely. He's an odd bird. Dismissive of stardom and its trappings. He doesn't suffer fools gladly. He's also more than a bit of a curmudgeon and has responded contemptuously when people associate his own views with his lyrics. When asked about whether the Stones were recording at British Grove (his studio), he responded "British Grove does not comment on current, past, or future clients." After it was confirmed the band was there, he was asked if he watched the sessions and answered, "They seemed to want to be left alone so we left them alone."

He's serious about guitar and recording. He demands audiences behave in an orderly fashion at concerts so everyone can enjoy the show. He is not a Greatest Hits guy at all. He's serious about his increasingly idiosyncratic songwriting which tends towards folk with influences such as Roger Miller and Gordon Lightfoot though it means he has become only a respected cult figure. He is an odd duck. A bit like Dylan without the legend behind him.
Very interesting...thanks!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2018 17:50

Its simple: no one wanted to induct Dire Straits if Mark Knopfler wasn't there. I don't know if it was out of embarrassment or to respect his wishes, but probably a combo of both. Which I agree, as a big fan its sort of pointless to be asked to induct them if the one guy responsible for it all isn't there. I don't think it has to do with him not having any friends. They saw no point if Mark wasn't gonna be there.

As for the fan vote, if you truly think it has any impact well... then the Hall did their job. They've swindled you into thinking you matter at all. The fan vote means absolutely nothing. 1 vote for each band means nothing when there's thousands of voters. As if Def Leppard needed ONE more vote to get in and it was the fan vote to break the tie?! Are you serious? Come on now. I know a LOT of people are stupid (myself included) but don't fall for that. Thats like Ticketmaster saying they are "helping fans". They are never "helping fans", the same way the Hall of Fame doesn't care about fans. Its a sham and its sad that anyone would believe they have a voice. But thats exactly what the fan vote is designed to do. I'm sorry, its designed to make stupid people think they have a voice. It does not in any way affect the voters (the voters have changed thats why new people get nominated and inducted like Rush and KISS) and it in no way helps the bands get in. I'm sorry, there's no two ways about it.

As for the Hall itself, it was fairly flawless through 2000-2002. After then, they started scrapping and its been pretty bad ever since. Bands like Abba, Madonna, the rap guys, they do deserve their place in Hall. But they are not rock and roll. They would NOT call themselves that. There are a couple acts that have transcended multiple genres. Michael Jackson is one I can think of that is legitimately rock, pop, dance, etc. A lot of them though just plain aren't and its not a Grammys Hall Of Fame or a Pop Hall Of Fame. I don't look down on rap when I say they shouldn't be in. Its exactly as you say, Led Zeppelin would not be in a Rap Hall Of Fame. The institution was flawed from the start but you have to stick to that mistake and there was enough to do. Through 2000 it was fine, after that it should have been like every 3-5 years. Cause at this point there's truly so much shit there. You can like Winger, Poison, etc, but they don't belong in a rock and roll hall of fame. Thats just the way it works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-10 17:57 by RollingFreak.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home