Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Just Another Night Case
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2018 23:57

Fight boys …… I'm gonna play hard ........... to get ….HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ROCKMAN

Date: October 11, 2018 00:01

Stoneage
As Keith says, Jagger didn't steal the song deliberately off course. I can't fathom though that people can't hear the similarities between the songs. I heard it instantly because K.D Lang's song was a big hit then.
You don't need absolute pitch to hear it. Angela Richards heard it instantly according to Keith.

Are we talking about the bloody 10 seconds melody of K.D'song "Constant Craving" and the Chorus of the Stone's "Anybody Seen My Baby"? That't about the only significant similarity I hear. Jagger might have borrowed it or even might have picked it up obliviously and built the song around it. We will never know for sure about anything with this dude, go ask Mick Taylor. I think Keith's reaction was quite smart at the time and he was Jagger's best consultant re K.D by saying: "Honesty has it's own price"! >grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-11 00:55 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 11, 2018 08:07

Rocky Dijon
Perhaps we could share her. That way she doesn't get bored of one man too soon. It's bigamy, of course. It's big of all of us.

We're going to have to take this off board. Pistols by morning light.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2018 08:45

Palace Revolution 2000
lem motlow
Anybody seen my baby was the Stones at their best and simultaneously at their most pathetic.
It was a beautiful song and then in some misguided effort to seem current or edgy or who knows what they put a rap sequence in the middle of it.
This was akin to Clint Eastwood’s gunfighter character having the small cigar lit,the eyes squinted ...and then making a goofy face at the camera.
WTFck were you thinking? Aerosmith had meshed rap and rock in an epic manner 13 YEARS before.it didn’t fit in the song,it destroyed the flow,and seemed like people trying to be hip and failing miserably.
Is there really no one there who can speak up and say these things to them?
Then the corporate Stones Machine took over,oh god it sounds like someone else’s song,call The lawyers!!
The saddest part of the Vegas Corporate Stones is that it never crossed their minds to call a fellow musician,play the song for her and ask her ”are you cool with this?”
A few years later KD Lang was on the same flight as Mick and thanked him for the credit,she also told him she would have never sued them.

Really good points Lem. ASMB was a great single, a great song, that was so tainted by that terrible head scratcher of a decision to throw a rap in there. Forgetting about that it doesn't make sense musically, it smacks of desperation. It's like those obligatory guest spots on Live stage, and Jagger adapting his moves to fit with the guest.

the rap sequence dates it. They should have had an album version without it, and maybe the single, or 12" remix with. Then the rap version would be an interesting curio.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 11, 2018 17:48

Palace Revolution 2000

Bloodshed is completely unnecessary. You can have 35love's hand in marriage. I will content myself with illicit extramarital sex. It's more exciting anyway.

Date: October 11, 2018 18:32

Rocky Dijon
Palace Revolution 2000

Bloodshed is completely unnecessary. You can have 35love's hand in marriage. I will content myself with illicit extramarital sex. It's more exciting anyway.

thumbs up
But bloodshed wasn't even really implied. Didn't they usually miss with those things anyway? Never understood the notion of that type of duel. 'Let's both have a gun, and stand 5 paces from each other, and then both shoot.' And then they actually had the nerve to miss!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 11, 2018 19:18

You guys both gonna have to pack just another night case.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 12, 2018 03:23

Jagger Song Prompts Lawsuit
Jamaican singer claims he wrote ‘Just Another Night’

By MICHAEL GOLDBERG

Mick Jagger in the studio on December 12th, 1986 in Hilversum Holland.
Rob Verhorst/Redferns

The authorship of Mick Jagger‘s hit “Just Another Night” has been called into question by Jamaican singer-songwriter Patrick E. Glanville, who claims in a copyright-infringement suit against Jagger, CBS Inc., Columbia Pictures Industries and several other companies that he – not Jagger – wrote the song.

Where this suit differs from copyright-infringement cases that have received media attention in the past – such as those brought against Michael Jackson and the Bee Gees – is that Glanville, who uses the stage name Patrick Alley, is a recording artist who had modest success selling his “Just Another Night” several years before Jagger recorded his song of the same name. Glanville’s recording – included on his Touch of Patrick Alley album – was released in 1982 on the TADS label in England. The song was copyrighted in November 1983 in the U.S. and released on the Pongora label. Glanville said it sold some 28,000 copies overall.

The suit, filed on January 2nd, 1986, in the United States District Court, Southern District of New York, asks for “all gains, profits and advantages” derived by the defendants – which could amount to millions of dollars – as well as statutory damages of $275,000.

Glanville learned of Jagger’s song from a friend last year. “After I played it, I realized it was a similar thing,” said Glanville. “I was very shocked. I looked at the record for some credit of my name, and I didn’t see it.”

“It’s the same song,” said Glanville’s attorney, Charles E. Baxley. “The same words, the same music – it’s obvious.”

Glanville is a friend of well-known reggae percussionist Sly Dunbar, who performed on Jagger’s “Just Another Night.” “Patrick told me that Sly told him, ‘Mick knocked you off,” said Baxley. But Jagger’s attorney, L. Peter Parcher, said, “Mick absolutely denies copying that song.”

This story is from the February 27th, 1986 issue of Rolling Stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-12 03:24 by exilestones.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2018 04:38

Biz Markie - One Two, 30 seconds in...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 12, 2018 05:24

Still not as painful as Mick and Bernard reciting it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 12, 2018 09:15

More importantly, where are the work in progress tapes of JAN played at the trial! I don't think these November 1983 Paris sessions by Mick have ever been documented? Could be simple home recordings of course.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1271
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home