Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Just Another Night Case
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 9, 2018 15:14

Rocky Dijon

Funny how we rarely have posts accusing Keith of ripping off "Thunder Island" for "Start Me Up."

[www.youtube.com]
But wasn't Start me up originally written in 1975 two years before Thunder Island was released?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2018 15:15

Stoneage
Doxa
Stoneage
And then he went on to steal K D Lang's big hit "Constant Craving":
[wmgk.com]

No, he did not. The credit was given to K. D. Lang. That is not called stealing.

Nice authorities you have.

- Doxa

The authority in this case is Keith Richards. Did you even read the article?

"Richards explained that the Stones machine went into overdrive to avoid a massive lawsuit: "So I had to call up (our manager) and all the heavy-duty lawyers, and I said, have this thing checked out right now otherwise we're going to be sued. And within 24-hours, I got a phone call: You're right. We had to include K.D. Land in the writing credits."

Yep. I saw that the reference in that article is LIFE. I have read that book.

- Doxa

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 9, 2018 16:39

Somewhat relatedly, it seems that Mick’s solo catalog has been removed from Spotify. Anyone know why that might be?

Date: October 9, 2018 16:39

lem motlow
Anybody seen my baby was the Stones at their best and simultaneously at their most pathetic.
It was a beautiful song and then in some misguided effort to seem current or edgy or who knows what they put a rap sequence in the middle of it.
This was akin to Clint Eastwood’s gunfighter character having the small cigar lit,the eyes squinted ...and then making a goofy face at the camera.
WTFck were you thinking? Aerosmith had meshed rap and rock in an epic manner 13 YEARS before.it didn’t fit in the song,it destroyed the flow,and seemed like people trying to be hip and failing miserably.
Is there really no one there who can speak up and say these things to them?
Then the corporate Stones Machine took over,oh god it sounds like someone else’s song,call The lawyers!!
The saddest part of the Vegas Corporate Stones is that it never crossed their minds to call a fellow musician,play the song for her and ask her ”are you cool with this?”
A few years later KD Lang was on the same flight as Mick and thanked him for the credit,she also told him she would have never sued them.

Really good points Lem. ASMB was a great single, a great song, that was so tainted by that terrible head scratcher of a decision to throw a rap in there. Forgetting about that it doesn't make sense musically, it smacks of desperation. It's like those obligatory guest spots on Live stage, and Jagger adapting his moves to fit with the guest.

Date: October 9, 2018 16:43

MelBelli
Somewhat relatedly, it seems that Mick’s solo catalog has been removed from Spotify. Anyone know why that might be?

Alfie and the latest single is still there, though.

Date: October 9, 2018 16:46

Slightly OT - can anyone recall the title of the KD Lang song, where she is talking to herself, and says things like "why do you fight this Katherine?" etc.
I only heard it once, and have never found it again. Maybe I just dreamed it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2018 16:55

Palace Revolution 2000
lem motlow
Anybody seen my baby was the Stones at their best and simultaneously at their most pathetic.
It was a beautiful song and then in some misguided effort to seem current or edgy or who knows what they put a rap sequence in the middle of it.
This was akin to Clint Eastwood’s gunfighter character having the small cigar lit,the eyes squinted ...and then making a goofy face at the camera.
WTFck were you thinking? Aerosmith had meshed rap and rock in an epic manner 13 YEARS before.it didn’t fit in the song,it destroyed the flow,and seemed like people trying to be hip and failing miserably.
Is there really no one there who can speak up and say these things to them?
Then the corporate Stones Machine took over,oh god it sounds like someone else’s song,call The lawyers!!
The saddest part of the Vegas Corporate Stones is that it never crossed their minds to call a fellow musician,play the song for her and ask her ”are you cool with this?”
A few years later KD Lang was on the same flight as Mick and thanked him for the credit,she also told him she would have never sued them.

Really good points Lem. ASMB was a great single, a great song, that was so tainted by that terrible head scratcher of a decision to throw a rap in there. Forgetting about that it doesn't make sense musically, it smacks of desperation. It's like those obligatory guest spots on Live stage, and Jagger adapting his moves to fit with the guest.

Haha..I recall when I heard the song first time and I liked its catchy melody, but when that part arrived I was like: what the fvck is that? It took me some listenings before I even grasped it was supposed to be some kind of rap part.. first I thought was there something wrong with my CD...grinning smiley

Now I am used to it, and I am fine with it, but still probably it isn't the most natural idea to be used in that song...

- Doxa

Date: October 9, 2018 17:09

I never had a problem with that little rap, but I like it better when Dillard does it live with the IORR Band winking smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 9, 2018 17:11

Ket
Rocky Dijon

Funny how we rarely have posts accusing Keith of ripping off "Thunder Island" for "Start Me Up."

[www.youtube.com]
But wasn't Start me up originally written in 1975 two years before Thunder Island was released?

The guitar riff is said to come from the BLACK AND BLUE sessions but wasn't developed. It circulates among private collectors apparently. The outtake from SOME GIRLS (generally known as "Never Stop") was changed to reggae because Keith said he later heard something on the radio that was too close. That would be "Thunder Island." No, I don't think Keith ripped off "Thunder Island" any more than I think Mick ripped off Patrick Alley or k. d. lang. The melody of the chorus of "Constant Craving" and "Anybody Seen My Baby" are undeniably similar. k. d. lang said she wouldn't have sued. At least one musicologist (not sure which university) has said that while similar, it isn't enough to qualify as plagiarism. Obviously, Virgin Records wanted to play it safe.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 9, 2018 17:33

ASMB is far from RS at their best and not just, or mainly, for the rap part that, to me is more (poorly) reminiscent of the r.e.m. great mix on "radio song" from out of time than aerosmith/run dmc, different ages. Failure
Mick, for once, was looking in the right direction when he praised Beck's Odelay and the Dust Brothers production on that in those days.
Then something went wrong and the outcome, B2B, came out half cooked. Or, as it was, cooked in two different ovens..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 17:39 by maumau.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 9, 2018 17:55

MelBelli
I also noticed on Napster which one I subscribe too, that Mick's music is almost gone ; only Performance soundtrack available.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: October 9, 2018 23:10

Pure speculation of course, but perhaps Universal will shortly announce they have acquired Mick's solo catalog.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 10, 2018 00:38

Rocky Dijon
Pure speculation of course, but perhaps Universal will shortly announce they have acquired Mick's solo catalog.

I went
looking and found this
Oh Virginia
Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, John Phillips, Ronnie Wood
listened 1st time and I kept thinking:
awful awful lead singer WHO is that I dismayed
(It just listed Keith Richards in Spotify under solo Mick, I didn’t know)
potential RS gem
completely marred/ ruined for life by John Phillips. Ish.

Date: October 10, 2018 00:42

The lead vocal is John Phillips. Both versions of the album (PAY PACK AND FOLLOW and PUSSYCAT) are worth picking up.

Date: October 10, 2018 00:46

Rocky Dijon
The lead vocal is John Phillips. Both versions of the album (PAY PACK AND FOLLOW and PUSSYCAT) are worth picking up.

No J Phillips is gross. Never liked him. Sorry.

Date: October 10, 2018 00:54

No need to apologize. He was a terrible person if the worst said about him is true, but he was talented. The Mamas and the Papas, THE WOLF KING OF L.A. (compare the sleeve with Dylan's DESIRE sleeve), the BREWSTER McCLOUD soundtrack, and THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH soundtrack (with Mr. Taylor) are all worthwhile. PAY PACK AND FOLLOW and PUSSYCAT are the officially released versions of his Rolling Stones Records material featuring Mick, Keith, Mr. Taylor, and Mr. Wood.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2018 00:58

John Phillips …..Genevieve Waite …… Mick Jagger

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2018 01:04

John Phillips …..Genevieve Waite …… Mick Jagger

ROCKMAN

Date: October 10, 2018 01:58

I never found John Phillips talented. His lead vocal ruins the song I found on Spotify, that I indicated above.
Had I seen his name attached to the song, I never would have played it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-10 02:06 by 35love.

Date: October 10, 2018 02:01

And, so sorry for veering off topic.
I am removing myself from the thread.

Date: October 10, 2018 05:20

Palace Revolution 2000
Slightly OT - can anyone recall the title of the KD Lang song, where she is talking to herself, and says things like "why do you fight this Katherine?" etc.
I only heard it once, and have never found it again. Maybe I just dreamed it.

I just answered myself: the song by KD Lang is called "The Mind of Love" and is beautiful.

Date: October 10, 2018 17:47

35love
Rocky Dijon

Ok, that does it. I am going to be asking for your hand in marriage very soon.

Date: October 10, 2018 19:40

Palace Revolution 2000
35love
Rocky Dijon

Thank you! :-)

Date: October 10, 2018 19:44

Palace Revolution 2000

Back off, I claimed 35love long ago. We both just need accidents to happen to our respective spouses.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 10, 2018 22:06

Is there a boot of this trial in circulation?

Date: October 10, 2018 22:23

ryanpow
Is there a boot of this trial in circulation?

Will be a From The Vault-release in 2020, for the STB 35th anniversary..

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 10, 2018 22:51

Great! It will be available in Blu Ray then I'm assuming.

Date: October 10, 2018 23:28

Rocky Dijon
Palace Revolution 2000

Back off, I claimed 35love long ago. We both just need accidents to happen to our respective spouses.

Kiss kiss on ya Dijon, thanks for the compliment :-)

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 10, 2018 23:52

Rocky Dijon
Palace Revolution 2000

Take a number, gentlemen winking smiley
Next time we get together I'm counting it as a third date cool smiley

Date: October 10, 2018 23:54

Perhaps we could share her. That way she doesn't get bored of one man too soon. It's bigamy, of course. It's big of all of us.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home