Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Is Lisa Fisher ever going to tour again with the stones?
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 8, 2018 21:25

It’s obvious it was her choice to stop touring with the Stones.You wouldn’t fire Lisa Fischer and replace her with Sasha Allen.

Nate

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 8, 2018 22:13

Lisa's (and Bernard's) vocals on CYHMK really soared and brought the tune together imo. She definitely sings at the top of her range and coveys all the emotion the song deserves.

I don't think they've played it since Lisa's departure, either - (but I might be wrong).

If they haven't, it's pretty telling...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 8, 2018 23:02

Hairball
Even if most tunes the Stones play these days are over 40 years old, at least they wrote and recorded them themselves - can't imagine them going out and performing an all covers set.

I know what you mean, but would you ever have guessed that the Stones' first studio album in 11 years would be an album of covers?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2018 00:06

Rocky Dijon
Hairball
Even if most tunes the Stones play these days are over 40 years old, at least they wrote and recorded them themselves - can't imagine them going out and performing an all covers set.

I know what you mean, but would you ever have guessed that the Stones' first studio album in 11 years would be an album of covers?

Honestly yes, but it would have been just a guess. After all Clapton did it, Aerosmith did it, and whoever else did it. And not just blues covers, but other artists have released entire albums with Sinatra covers, or the Great American Songbook, etc. As for the Stones, many people including myself thought they should have done a blues covers album years ago, and when there was talk of Mick recording with the Red Devils there was some excitement in the air - a shame he didn't release it back then. So the Stones finally get around to releasing a blues covers album, and while it was OK for what it was (some liked it more than others), seems they were a bit late to the party as far as that trend goes.

But back to Lisa and the title track to her 1991 solo album:

Lisa Fischer - So Intense

smiling smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 9, 2018 00:54

So whats the truth about Lisa leaving?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2018 00:58

Hairball

Honestly yes, but it would have been just a guess. After all Clapton did it, Aerosmith did it, and whoever else did it. And not just blues covers, but other artists have released entire albums with Sinatra covers, or the Great American Songbook, etc. As for the Stones, many people including myself thought they should have done a blues covers album years ago, and when there was talk of Mick recording with the Red Devils there was some excitement in the air - a shame he didn't release it back then. So the Stones finally get around to releasing a blues covers album, and while it was OK for what it was (some liked it more than others), seems they were a bit late to the party as far as that trend goes.

Total bullshit or anti-Stones propaganda. The Stones blues album was a bigger deal than any of those albums you mentioned. It was (a non expected) number one album in many countries and actually the biggest selling album in the whole world around the much competed Christmas season. Now tell me that anyone could do that by covering Little Walter, Magic Sam, Eddie Taylor and other 'commercial' artists. If it was for you "a bit late for the party", you probably missed the whole party. You might not appreciate the album, but don't bullshit and belittle the achievements of the Rolling Stones, please.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 01:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 9, 2018 01:39

Nate
It’s obvious it was her choice to stop touring with the Stones.You wouldn’t fire Lisa Fischer and replace her with Sasha Allen.

Nate

I agree. I remember that Lisa was doing a lot of solo stuff including touring after she left the band. She als clearly emerged as an artist wanting to do her own stuff rather then being always there for the Stones.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 9, 2018 01:59

Doxa
Hairball

Total bullshit or anti-Stones propaganda. The Stones blues album was a bigger deal than any of those albums you mentioned. It was (a non expected) number one album in many countries and actually the biggest selling album in the whole world around the much competed Christmas season. Now tell me that anyone could do that by covering Little Walter, Magic Sam, Eddie Taylor and other 'commercial' artists. If it was for you "a bit late for the party", you probably missed the whole party. You might not appreciate the album, but don't bullshit and belittle the achievements of the Rolling Stones, please.

- Doxa

Some nerve you have there, Doxa. To call someone else's opinion total bullshit or anti-Stones propaganda. Woke up on the wrong side? I tend to agree with Hairball here. A blues cover album in 2016 wasn't the freshest of ideas. It would have made more sense in the 70's. The album got good reviews though. Can't argue with that. I think they came up with this album because they weren't able to come up with anything else (i.e. a new album with original compositions). I remember Jagger telling journalists already in the 70's that he was fed up with the blues. He wanted to do something else...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 9, 2018 02:26

mosthigh
Lisa's (and Bernard's) vocals on CYHMK really soared and brought the tune together imo. She definitely sings at the top of her range and coveys all the emotion the song deserves.

I don't think they've played it since Lisa's departure, either - (but I might be wrong).

Played only one time since Lisa's left...
Argentina,La Plata, Febr. 10th 2016

Date: October 9, 2018 02:50

Stoneage
Doxa
Hairball

- Doxa

Some nerve you have there, Doxa. To call someone else's opinion total bullshit or anti-Stones propaganda. Woke up on the wrong side? I tend to agree with Hairball here. A blues cover album in 2016 wasn't the freshest of ideas. It would have made more sense in the 70's. The album got good reviews though. Can't argue with that. I think they came up with this album because they weren't able to come up with anything else (i.e. a new album with original compositions). I remember Jagger telling journalists already in the 70's that he was fed up with the blues. He wanted to do something else...

Let's not turn ugly. I think it's fun to banter with Hairball when our views aren't the same. He's passionate about the band and his opinions. That's good. It stops it from being 20 threads of people who agree on everything. Mixing it up is healthy so long as we're tolerant of the fact there isn't a right opinion and not everyone agrees facts are facts. I include myself in the latter category. There are things Keith says (in particular) or even Mick that I quite simply disbelieve. I think every public person exaggerates, lies, or obscures truth. Sometimes it's to make stories interesting. Sometimes it's to protect individuals or a claim. Sometimes because they're natural born raconteurs and storytelling comes natural to them. There are no rules that says we have to accept a party line. We just need to respect one another so as not to bring the wrath of The Lone Norwegian down upon us.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 9, 2018 02:58

shortfatfanny
mosthigh

Right and it was the song of A GREAT night!

Anyway I miss Lisa and her wonderful voice but I have to admit that on her last Stones' tour it wasn't a brillant as it used to be from 1994 to 1999.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 9, 2018 03:28

Bjorn
No.

Bjorn , I could not have said that any better.

Date: October 9, 2018 04:03

Rocky Dijon
Stoneage
Doxa
Hairball

- Doxa

Let's not turn ugly. I think it's fun to banter with Hairball when our views aren't the same. He's passionate about the band and his opinions. That's good. It stops it from being 20 threads of people who agree on everything. Mixing it up is healthy so long as we're tolerant of the fact there isn't a right opinion and not everyone agrees facts are facts. I include myself in the latter category. There are things Keith says (in particular) or even Mick that I quite simply disbelieve. I think every public person exaggerates, lies, or obscures truth. Sometimes it's to make stories interesting. Sometimes it's to protect individuals or a claim. Sometimes because they're natural born raconteurs and storytelling comes natural to them. There are no rules that says we have to accept a party line. We just need to respect one another so as not to bring the wrath of The Lone Norwegian down upon us.

Yeah - interesting to see the toxic vitriol reappearing here again ..."anti-Stones propaganda"...hahaha wtf!
And not completely sure what that rant was all about anyways as I did say "some liked it more than others"... someone must be drunk again.... eye rolling smiley
But I shall rise above and refrain from getting caught up in the toxic storm from hell.

As for the success of Blue and Lonesome, hallelujah for the Stones! It's been eons since they had that type of relevancy and success, and go figure it was an album of blues covers - they should have done it sooner!
And can't help but think it was partially their brand name alone that helped with the sales during the Christmas season as most people bought it as a gift for others.
I bought three Deluxe box's on sale for apprx. $10 each via amazonUK as many others here did (original price was over $40?), and they made for great gifts!

PS - Cheers Stoneage and Rocky. You both know how to handle a conversation well without turning it in to a a dogfight. thumbs up

*And back on topic - another sappy tune from Lisa's solo album from 1991:

Lisa Fischer - How Can I Ease The Pain

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 04:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: October 9, 2018 07:47

Saw her last night with Stone's Throw in Memphis and she was great. She is doing her own thing. Talk with her at the airport and shelve Madame Allen her props.I didn't ask her if she would tour with Stones because that is none of my busy. Oh and the Lady is still pretty hot.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 9, 2018 13:20

I love Lisa , no matter what ! That voice is sorely missed IMHO . I loved all of her acrobatic and operatic vocals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 9, 2018 14:30

...sorry but what's sappy is someone's incessant harping about Lisa Fisher....

Date: October 9, 2018 14:43

Stoneage
Doxa
Hairball

- Doxa

You know that was the case, as Don Was told us in an interview (hit the wall, remember?).

Regarding Hairball's post (he can speak for himself), I don't think the Stones thought this release as part of a trend at all. Trends don't last for decades. It was just something they wanted to do, regarding the circumstances.

And they succeeded big time. They topped the charts, won a Grammy and most people really enjoyed this album, which took them back to their roots – as opposed to more Don't Stops or ABBs (A direction Hairball also whined about earlier).

However, as with all releases: there are always someone who won't be happy, no matter what they do. They always seek new angles, new opportunities and different ways of saying it, too smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 14:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 9, 2018 15:42

I agree that Lisa's live vocals on Gimme Shelter seemed to be all about her and not the song. Great instrument in her voice with huge range and power, but I think she tried to make the song about her fireworks - and however powerful her voice is, it distracted from the dark emotions of the original.

That being said, she is very talented. Got a lot of publicity with 20 Feet From Stardom from her work with the Stones and many others and will do fine on her own.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2018 16:23

buffalo7478
I agree that Lisa's live vocals on Gimme Shelter seemed to be all about her and not the song. Great instrument in her voice with huge range and power, but I think she tried to make the song about her fireworks - and however powerful her voice is, it distracted from the dark emotions of the original.

I hear what you say, and many others have made a similar observation, but to me Lisa's contribution in "Gimme Shelter" has been like a guitar solo - the original studio version being like a blueprint which can be developed further and more being improvising-like in live surroundings. True that sometimes it has a danger of just showing technical abilities or over-playing, but that hasn't really bothered me. For me her part in "Gimme Shelter" has always been like a nice bonus extra in a Stones show. She doesn't 'destroy' "Gimme Shelter"- if it doesn't resemble the dark and dangerous masterpiece it used to be, we have the whole band to blame that for...

But to the question, pretty hard to imagine we will see her ever again with the Stones. But I warmly remember her time with the Stones. She was given a certain role but she really took that role, and made it her own.

- Doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 9, 2018 16:23

Hairball
Why wouldn't she perform more of her own songs, or better yet release an album of her own songs and tour with that?
Not doubting her reason for striking out on her own as nobody really knows the real reason why, but seems she's just coasting on the coattails of others.

If you consider all the great performers of popular music (including jazz, blues, soul etc.) only a minority wrote their own music.

Covering other peoples songs, interpreting standards or songs written by others would be the absolute common practice if the big money wasn't all in copyright to lyrics and melody.

C

Date: October 9, 2018 16:30

liddas
Hairball
Why wouldn't she perform more of her own songs, or better yet release an album of her own songs and tour with that?
Not doubting her reason for striking out on her own as nobody really knows the real reason why, but seems she's just coasting on the coattails of others.

If you consider all the great performers of popular music (including jazz, blues, soul etc.) only a minority wrote their own music.

Covering other peoples songs, interpreting standards or songs written by others would be the absolute common practice if the big money wasn't all in copyright to lyrics and melody.

C

And it still is, in jazz, blues, soul, folk, country, classical music etc.

Lisa and her guitar player have worked really hard coming up with new arrangements and interpretations of the tunes they perform on stage. They deserve credit for that.

Date: October 9, 2018 17:46

liddas
Hairball

C

True enough, and to clarify I didn't mean songs that she actually wrote on her own, but songs that she recorded and released under her own name (some of which she might have co-written). Maybe she could do what the Stones and so many others have done, and record a studio album of covers of some of the songs she currently performs...or maybe something like "Lisa Sings the Blues"...or "Lisa's Tribute to Female Blues, Soul and R&B Artists" (Etta James, Aretha, Roberta Flack, et al), or "Lisa Sings Motown", or "Lisa Sings Rock's Greatest Hits". It might help get her name out there, and she would have something more solid to tour behind vs. just being out there performing covers. I'm sure she would sell some copies,especially to those who attend and enjoy her shows. As it stands, all she has is a solo release from 1991 under her own name...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-09 17:47 by Hairball.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: October 10, 2018 00:07

Nice point comparing to a guitar solo, Doxa. I don't think she destroys the song by any means. The crowds love her interpretation of it.

I just love Merry Clayton's original so much, I'd prefer whoever sings it keeps the same dark vibe. Much like Steve Vai could create some crazy solos if guesting on-stage with the Stones, I don't think they need it and would not add to the experience for parts of the crowd (though a chunk of the stadium crowd would be impressed).

I wish her well, whatever path she pursues, and would love to see her live doing her own thing.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 10, 2018 05:16

More Hot Rocks
So whats the truth about Lisa leaving?

Because regularly cancelling shows that are booked a year or more in advance to accommodate a Stones tour that is only 14 shows and may only be confirmed a few months out would be very detrimental to her long term career prospects.

And her gigs are often small community performing arts centers where artist fees don't necessarily come from straight ticket sales but from donors and subscriber packages.

Date: October 10, 2018 06:58

That was the best answer I've ever read or heard, Dan. Thanks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2018 07:12

Just check out the doco -- Rock & Roll Guns For Hire
ta see the pain these back-up artists go through waitin around for the next BIG TOUR ….

ROCKMAN

Date: October 10, 2018 07:47

Quique-stone
shortfatfanny
mosthigh

Right and it was the song of A GREAT night!

Anyway I miss Lisa and her wonderful voice but I have to admit that on her last Stones' tour it wasn't a brillant as it used to be from 1994 to 1999.

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was also performed in 2015 on the "Zip Code Tour" four or five times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-11 16:45 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home