Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Talk is Cheap 30 years old
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 5, 2018 16:05

matxil
Yes, still one of the best things any Stone has done in the past 30 years or more. I wouldn't call "How I Wish" filler and I never liked "Big Enough" (for me, that's the weakest of the album, Keith is not good in funk) but for the rest I agree with the article. Interesting what Steve Jordan says about those two turning points, 1) listening to Tom Waits and 2) giving Keith his own vocal style.

The song I liked the most at the start was Rockawhile.
The song that surprised me most and admired the most was It Means A Lot.
And the songs I have warmed most to over the years are Locked Away and Make No Mistake.

Good point on Keith's interpretation of funk. But with Bootsy amd Maceo there are some outstanding moments on Big Enough.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 5, 2018 16:46

keefriff99
I know some people here have criticized Main Offender for being somewhat half-baked and unfinished, with a lot of tracks being more extended musical ideas rather than fully-realized songs...and I hear that, but it's still so fun to listen to.

I think I've re-visited it more often that TIC over the years. There are some great hard rocking numbers on MO.

They are both great. MO has more weaker songs than TIC (2 instead of 1, namely Yap Yap and Body Talks) but it has Hate It When You Leave which crowns it. Crosseyed Heart is better than both (1 weak song: Blues in the Morning) both song-wise and production wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-05 16:49 by matxil.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 5, 2018 16:48

Maindefender
matxil
Yes, still one of the best things any Stone has done in the past 30 years or more. I wouldn't call "How I Wish" filler and I never liked "Big Enough" (for me, that's the weakest of the album, Keith is not good in funk) but for the rest I agree with the article. Interesting what Steve Jordan says about those two turning points, 1) listening to Tom Waits and 2) giving Keith his own vocal style.

The song I liked the most at the start was Rockawhile.
The song that surprised me most and admired the most was It Means A Lot.
And the songs I have warmed most to over the years are Locked Away and Make No Mistake.

Good point on Keith's interpretation of funk. But with Bootsy amd Maceo there are some outstanding moments on Big Enough.

Yes, I can imagine that rhythm wise, both drums and bass could be interesting, but it's not the first thing I listen to, to be honest. The thing is, I am not very fond of funk music myself so I am severely biased.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 5, 2018 17:54

hopkins
so are these jeans

bake them a cake?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 5, 2018 19:25

LOVE THIS QUOTE...kind of puts the animosity/blame that some like to place on some band members in a different box....accountability is a good thing....

Richards came to believe their time apart had helped him to be "a better Rolling Stone, or make the Rolling Stones better. I have a little more confidence in myself, by myself. I found that I can, if I have to, live without the Rolling Stones. And that my only job isn't desperately trying to keep a band together that maybe needed a break."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2018 20:02

keefriff99
I know some people here have criticized Main Offender for being somewhat half-baked and unfinished, with a lot of tracks being more extended musical ideas rather than fully-realized songs...and I hear that, but it's still so fun to listen to.

I think I've re-visited it more often that TIC over the years. There are some great hard rocking numbers on MO.

For me, that's part of the charm of Main Offender.
It might not stand up as well as Talk is Cheap as a whole on it's own, but these days I tend to see them both as a linked at the hips of a particular era - similar to the way I see Godfather pt. I and II.
And no, I wouldn't consider Crosseyed Heart the Godfather III of the trilogy haha (a horrible movie imo) as CH stands completely on it's own as a latter day masterpiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-05 20:03 by Hairball.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 5, 2018 20:37

First time I ever went to the dark side, meaning my first ever "CD" purchase

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 5, 2018 21:13

What a fantastic album this was/is, and then of course the supporting tour! Seeing Keith and Wino's at the Aragon in Chicago was a dream gig and then I was able to see them again at Brendan Byrne Arena supported by The Replacements. Killer shows. Never forget Keith in Chicago saying "this one's for John" before launching "I wanna Be Your Man". The place was jumpin. Same deal in NJ. "Crazy Mixed Up World" Johnnie Johnson sitting in, AND then Run Rudolph Run in the setlist. Are you kidding me?? Keith turned out to be a pretty good front man didn't he?

You can't make that stuff up

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 5, 2018 21:35

One of the biggest dissapointness ever,same with she,s the boss

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 6, 2018 00:10

Hairball
keefriff99

For me, that's part of the charm of Main Offender.
It might not stand up as well as Talk is Cheap as a whole on it's own, but these days I tend to see them both as a linked at the hips of a particular era - similar to the way I see Godfather pt. I and II.
And no, I wouldn't consider Crosseyed Heart the Godfather III of the trilogy haha (a horrible movie imo) as CH stands completely on it's own as a latter day masterpiece.
Yeah, I see what you mean.

Crosseyed Heart sadly didn't do much for me. I gave it a few listens and very little of it popped for me. I didn't expect to hear any of the hard-driving riffing of Main Offender, but it just bored me for the most part. I was very happy that he put it out though, and I appreciate the effort.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 6, 2018 00:48

harlem shuffle
One of the biggest dissapointness ever,same with she,s the boss

I agree. Maybe I had inflated expectations, but this was a Keith Richards solo album, how could it not be awesome? I think I've managed to listen to it maybe three times since it came out.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 6, 2018 02:53

Greatest solo cd ever

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 6, 2018 06:42

The best Stones-related album of the last 40 years!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 6, 2018 09:23

Like with most things Keith does solo, it surpassed my expectations, and although it's 30 years old, i always had the view that it was 5 or 10 years too late.

Had Keith chose to make this album sooner i think it would have served better for Mick and Keith's song writing partnership in the long run, it would have earn't Keith more respect from his glimmer twin.
I doubt we would have witnessed WW3, certainly not in such a negative way, and as a result of that, the breakdown in Jagger Richards compositions might not have been so extreme.

TIC is a fantastic album, but as Mick pointed out , the drums are too loud winking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 6, 2018 09:53

filstan
What a fantastic album this was/is, and then of course the supporting tour! Seeing Keith and Wino's at the Aragon in Chicago was a dream gig and then I was able to see them again at Brendan Byrne Arena supported by The Replacements. Killer shows. Never forget Keith in Chicago saying "this one's for John" before launching "I wanna Be Your Man". The place was jumpin. Same deal in NJ. "Crazy Mixed Up World" Johnnie Johnson sitting in, AND then Run Rudolph Run in the setlist. Are you kidding me?? Keith turned out to be a pretty good front man didn't he?

You can't make that stuff up

And they started the encores with Connection! At the time, that was a surprise.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 6, 2018 11:57

ab

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 6, 2018 11:57

ab

thumbs up

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 6, 2018 20:13

TeddyB1018
How I Wish is “filler?” More like a classic for me. Along with Locked Away, my two favorite songs on the album.
Yep I couldn't agree more....to this day

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2018 20:07

detroitken
TeddyB1018
How I Wish is “filler?” More like a classic for me. Along with Locked Away, my two favorite songs on the album.
Yep I couldn't agree more....to this day

How I With has to be one of the best solo songs by any Stone.

And OMG can Keith do justice to that one live.smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home