Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Talk is Cheap 30 years old
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 4, 2018 23:02

Re: Talk is Cheap 30 years old
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 4, 2018 23:54

Thanks for the article Maindefender.thumbs up

Hard to believe it's been 30 years, but I remember the occasion very well as some friends and I had a marathon listening party with all the "bells and whistles" to set the mood.

You Don't Move Me moved the the most upon those first listens, and still does to this day - my favorite Keith solo track ever.
The entire album is a gem, and was a very welcome addition in my world at the time.

"It's a real record. We weren't trying to do anything hip." - Steve Jordan '88

Make no mistake about it, Talk is Cheap is a real record. thumbs up

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 4, 2018 23:58

Pity a deluxe version isn't available.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2018 00:11

The Mobile Fidelity Gold Disc sounds good …….

ROCKMAN

Date: October 5, 2018 00:17

The greatest record making experience of my life …… Steve Jordan

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 5, 2018 00:20

I still love the album. I played hooky from school (I was 17) to listen to WMMS play "Take It So Hard" and "Whip It Up" on the radio two weeks before the album dropped. I remember hanging out at Frank's Shattered Records in Cleveland where his stoned girlfriend told me about Virgin Records' listening party that she attended the night before. Finally On October 4th, I made the pilgrimage with two friends after school to buy the album. Thereafter came SNL which I watched on VHS daily thereafter for weeks. The excitement of each issue of BEGGARS BANQUET and its sister publication CONNECTION. Finally, seeing Keith at Music Hall with three other friends from school (and one parole officer) the night after Roy Orbison died. Colin James opened the show (I wanted Ivan). It was the equivalent of a religious experience for me.

Date: October 5, 2018 00:37

It was the equivalent of a religious experience for me.

Ahhhhhh Bill …. that line knocks me …… lucky boy ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 5, 2018 01:59

fantastic album

I love rock awhile and locked away and make no mistake,3 of my fav songs on the album

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 5, 2018 02:37

Best Stones album in years...or should have been. It was/is so much better than most of what the Stones had been putting out up until then and somewhat after. I kept the disk in continuous play for a week at home and in the car. The two shows I saw on the Talk Is Cheap tour and the one from the Main Offender tour were some of the best rock shows I'd attended. I have a better and more rockin' memory of them than any show I saw by the Stones in the 1990s/2000s.

My fave cuts are Locked Away and Make No Mistake. But, all moved me and still do.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 5, 2018 04:30

so are these jeans

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 5, 2018 04:37

[www.youtube.com]

this holds up very fine for me; i make fun of the lyrics soemtimes but do love this track Very Much. real gritt hot dirty rock and roll; boy done his job real good on this. bitchin' band. it sure works for me. rolls deep love it.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 5, 2018 06:45

How I Wish is “filler?” More like a classic for me. Along with Locked Away, my two favorite songs on the album.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 5, 2018 08:02

I'm still in love with TIC!!
Great album.

Date: October 5, 2018 08:43

Take It So Hard is me fave ….. what a grindin' racket...… cool clip tooooo

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 5, 2018 10:18

30 years ! Nah

Oh bugger . That means I'm nearly 60 .confused smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 5, 2018 10:23

TeddyB1018
How I Wish is “filler?” More like a classic for me. Along with Locked Away, my two favorite songs on the album.

I agree...it's a classic thumbs up
[youtu.be]
smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 5, 2018 11:45

Easily the best solo Stones record in my opinion. Wandering Spirit gets second place, another great record.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 5, 2018 11:56

Too bad the record ws kinda botched at the mixing stage. The horrible FM-friendly sound of TIC is an insult to the great music that on the album.

Keef correctly addressed the problem and gave MO a more natural organic less processed sound (too bad the songwriting on MO was inferior to TIC).

Date: October 5, 2018 12:12

dcba
Too bad the record ws kinda botched at the mixing stage. The horrible FM-friendly sound of TIC is an insult to the great music that on the album.

Keef correctly addressed the problem and gave MO a more natural organic less processed sound (too bad the songwriting on MO was inferior to TIC).

I don't hear that at all smiling smiley

On the contrary, it sounds awesome thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 5, 2018 12:14

Yes, still one of the best things any Stone has done in the past 30 years or more. I wouldn't call "How I Wish" filler and I never liked "Big Enough" (for me, that's the weakest of the album, Keith is not good in funk) but for the rest I agree with the article. Interesting what Steve Jordan says about those two turning points, 1) listening to Tom Waits and 2) giving Keith his own vocal style.

The song I liked the most at the start was Rockawhile.
The song that surprised me most and admired the most was It Means A Lot.
And the songs I have warmed most to over the years are Locked Away and Make No Mistake.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 5, 2018 12:50

I rank Locked Away a classic. Always loved it. Had a friend of a friend that had a music distributorship business and he received the cassette a week before the release and I drove out and got it at this warehouse. Had to wait for street date for cd and vinyl. Played the crap out of it. The distributor was kind of a jerk so I never did it again

Date: October 5, 2018 12:53

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 5, 2018 13:09

Rockman you da man! thumbs up

Date: October 5, 2018 13:12

Yeah that's what I keep tellin' Lisa … but she reckons I'm scum ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 5, 2018 13:17

Some good editions...

Date: October 5, 2018 13:23

Rockman

A review of Jordan's drumming in Drummer Magazine? smiling smiley

Date: October 5, 2018 13:31

Yeah most likely Dandeee …… I forget where I got it from …..

ROCKMAN

Date: October 5, 2018 14:48

TeddyB1018

Haha..yes, that jumped out at me immediately. A great article, but that sentence needs to be fixed. "How I Wish" is the other beautiful Open G workout of the album; the archetypical Keithian groove.

This album has stood the test of time so well. It's one of those that grows and grows; only gets better with each listen.
I so wish I could have experienced the songs like Waddy; to have only known and played them as changes. And then come back and hear the vocal melodies, and be swept away. I can imagine "Locked Away" especially doing that.
The live shows were special too on the first Wino tour.
I still think 'Main Offender' is every bit as good.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 5, 2018 15:40

Love the album .... especially in this time of year

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 5, 2018 16:03

I know some people here have criticized Main Offender for being somewhat half-baked and unfinished, with a lot of tracks being more extended musical ideas rather than fully-realized songs...and I hear that, but it's still so fun to listen to.

I think I've re-visited it more often that TIC over the years. There are some great hard rocking numbers on MO.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2170
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home