Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: What is the Stones most beautiful melody?
Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 6, 2018 12:58

The Stones don't do the beautiful melody. But Nicky Hopkins sure played some purdy piano parts on their records

Posted by: wolundamo ()
Date: October 6, 2018 14:17

Doxa
Witness
One objection only, Doxa, but a vital one, now you are narrowing down the diversity of what Rolling Stones music may comprise with decency. The call in the opening post, however, was for songs that are described as "beautiful melodies". There are many, can I call it, idioms for that in the Rolling Stones canon. You seem to insist in excluding some of them. I am not embarassed by one of them more or less ( I would still say less) overlapping with a Beatles mode, but am attracted to them as well with their marked Stones characteristic difference. I am very surprised by your remark with a quite general aim that Beatles' songmaking was conservative, without qualification, then meaning all over. (I have never been attracted to Simon & Garfunkel, and I see no relationship there. The German Decca compilation box THE BEST OF THE REST has got a track, where the Stones are joyfully and shamelessly playing around with the Ronettes song " Be My Baby". I guess that you hardly can like or even accept it, where I do).

Ì may be attracted to music out of different reasons. What I am often attracted to, is music that I myself find has got an emotional intensity in some way, even if I may by taste exclude much music that also does. For instance, "Indian Girl" that possibly for you are easy listening music, to me has that superb quality. The two songs I nominate in this thread, may for some listeners be heard as easy listening. That is not the reason for their appeal to me.

By the way, apparently within your boundaries, there is one beautiful Keith sung song, not mentionned, I think. I seem to remember from earlier on that, surprisingly enough, the really beautiful "Coming Down Again" does not have so much appeal to you, whereas I may share your verdict on "All About You". The attraction of the latter to me, however, is not most of all its beauty, but the masterful way the song serves as a musical vehicle for expressing bitterness.

Thanks, good points. I need to clarify myself that I didn't mean to say all those rubytuesdays, ladyjanes, astearsgobys etc. were bad or that I disqualify them or something. Absolutely not! They all are great, beautifully written songs, and I like each of them very much. Like I do of many The Beatles, Abba or Simon & Garfunkel songs (but not so much as I do of the mentioned Stones songs). And I do accept the argument that it is that kind of more traditionally written songs one can whistle the catchy melody easily, are the ones belonging to the category of "beautiful melodies". But I was attracted to the word "most" here - while Jagger/Richards are able to write some damn beautiful melodies in that mentioned sense, I think their true uniqueness and strength - and the one which attracts me most - is their more idiosyncratic way to handle the melody in 'odd' contexts, such as in bluesy rockers. For example, I think "Sway" and "Rocks Off" and, say, "Soul Survivor" are masterpieces in this sense. I don't think anyone can do better than they do that, inwheras one could easily argue that writers like Lennon/McCartney or Paul Simon or the Abba guys are able to do a better work in that more traditional catchy melody field, think of things like "Yesterday", "The Winner Takes It All" or "The Boxer" (although I agree with you that the Stones ballads and melodically catchy tunes have a kind of 'Stonesy' idiosyncratic character in them). Plus Jagger/Richards have that "bluesy" feel in the their style of writing melodies they had learned by the time of making BEGGARS BANQUET, many of the songs being damn simple structurally. The 'less is more' philosophy there. They are bluesmen by heart. To me that sounds beautiful and clever melodically (although I am sure many in music world would oppose me here).

By the way, I belong to a small group of people who actually likes "Indian Girl" very much. As I do of "Coming Down Again". "Bye Bye Baby" is a fantastic song!

- Doxa

Doxa, I love you!

You always find the right words for my thoughts and emotions... und I appreciate Indian Girl too!smiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 13, 2018 15:25

so....Beast of Burden it is?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 13, 2018 15:50

Maybe this song meets the criterion:

Hannah honey was a peachy kind of girl
Her eyes were hazel
And her nose were slightly curved
We spent a lonely night at the Memory Motel
It's on the ocean, I guess you know it well
It took a starry to steal my breath away
Down on the water front
Her hair all drenched in spray
Hannah baby was a honey of a girl
Her eyes were hazel
And her teeth were slightly curved
She took my guitar and she began to play
She sang a song to me
Stuck right in my brain
You're just a memory of a love
That used to be
That used to mean so much to me
She got a mind of her own
And she use it well
Well she's one of a kind
She's got a mind
And she use it mighty fine
She drove a pick-up truck
Painted green…

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 13, 2018 16:01

This recorder part of Ruby Tuesday.

[www.youtube.com]

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 13, 2018 16:02

And this...

[www.youtube.com]

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: October 13, 2018 16:09

Spud
A large part of their greatness is just the glorious noise they make.

It can make almost any song sound great .

Yup, the raucous rice krispies advert track they did proves this.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 13, 2018 22:21

I don't think this qualifies as the melody, maybe its the bass line or chord progression...

I was listening to this play-along bass cover of Almost Hear You Sigh on YT and the bridge especially is just lovely:

( you need to hear it with headphones or good speakers, otherwise the bass doesn't stand out enough).

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-13 22:26 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2018 23:06

This was a tough one, but I'll go with "Let It Loose."
Runners-up would be "I Got the Blues," "Coming Down Again," "Beast of Burden," "Waiting on a Friend," and "Slipping Away."

Honorable mention to Keith's version of "You Win Again" and "Lovers Plea."

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2018 23:07

Doxa is unquestionably the most articulate of all of us when it comes to expressing how the music moves him. The fact that he does so in a second language is even more impressive.

Date: October 14, 2018 00:38

Doxa is ace!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 14, 2018 00:48

Doxa is wiser than many realize ……….. he can see things that others can't ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 14, 2018 00:54

Rocky Dijon
Doxa is unquestionably the most articulate of all of us when it comes to expressing how the music moves him. The fact that he does so in a second language is even more impressive.

thumbs up

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 14, 2018 01:04

Rockman
Doxa is wiser than many realize ……….. he can see things that others can't ...

There are many gifted folks in this forum. Doxa is an eloquent and talented writer. I agree with him 90% of the time on the actual topic or opinion. For example, I disagree that Soul Survivor is a melodic tune. This classic Stones song falls in line more with the blues-rock genre. Anyhow, proud to share the same earth with very knowledgeable folks. We cover all topics - one way or another smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 14, 2018 05:42

This one is touching...

Out Of Tears, Ice Dancing
[youtu.be]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 14, 2018 08:30

Chris Fountain
Maybe this song meets the criterion:

Hannah honey was a peachy kind of girl
Her eyes were hazel
And her nose were slightly curved
We spent a lonely night at the Memory Motel
It's on the ocean, I guess you know it well
It took a starry to steal my breath away
Down on the water front
Her hair all drenched in spray
Hannah baby was a honey of a girl
Her eyes were hazel
And her teeth were slightly curved
She took my guitar and she began to play
She sang a song to me
Stuck right in my brain
That used to be
That used to mean so much to me
And she use it well
Well she's one of a kind
She's got a mind
And she use it mighty fine
She drove a pick-up truck
Painted green…

A young Lem bought this album the day it came out,and sat there stunned on the first listen of the absolutely unadulterated beauty of this song.
There is no other group of musicians on this earth capable of playing on the level of the songs the fans are listing in this thread.
When they are gone and people do the inevitable sifting through and fine tooth combing of what they left us,then and only then will the superiority of the Stones be realized.
Trust me, they will be digging up Memory Motel,Till the next goodbye,Wild Horses,Out of tears and dozens of other beautiful melodies that will show how adults bare their souls.
Hey Jude don’t make it baad,lol!-we still live in a world where children’s lullaby’s are considered the gold standard in songwriting,that will change in the end.
Look how people are responding to rainbow now on that car commercial “what?,what is this great song? Stones fans are going, uh yeah we got about 200 hundred more of those if ya care to listen.

Date: October 14, 2018 11:04

If You Let Me also deserves a mention, imo.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 14, 2018 16:21

WINTER
and no other song ever came close to it's melody.
Simply GREAT.

On a literal basis the only nominee can be: Melodysmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-14 16:24 by micawber.

Date: October 14, 2018 17:03

micawber
WINTER
Simply GREAT.

Do you mean what Mick sings or the guitar/strings-theme?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 14, 2018 18:33

I think people are confusing lyrics with melody.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 14, 2018 19:55

lem motlow

When they are gone and people do the inevitable sifting through and fine tooth combing of what they left us,then and only then will the superiority of the Stones be realized.
Trust me, they will be digging up Memory Motel,Till the next goodbye,Wild Horses,Out of tears and dozens of other beautiful melodies that will show how adults bare their souls.

Wonderfully summed up...

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 15, 2018 04:19

I changed my vote.
Time Waits For No One is the prettiest melody for me.

[youtu.be]

(And, close 2nd is Till The Next Goodbye)
Out Of Tears is beautiful, and love the video.
Angie was a favorite in the past.

Oh! Here’s another one:

Heaven is mesmerizing
[youtu.be]

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: October 15, 2018 11:28

It´s hard -but I go with Ruby Tuesday, Wild horses, Angie and Beast of Burden....

Date: October 15, 2018 12:30

shortfatfanny
lem motlow

Wonderfully summed up...
Love that too. "...beautiful melodies that show how adults bare their souls."

I wish I had held on to some of these classic sentences ( like the one from Rocky the other day) through the years.

Date: October 15, 2018 15:08

...still think its Beast...but yesterday listening to Fonda Theatre show...I felt like both Dead Flowers and Wild Horses..could be right up there...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 15, 2018 18:19

This thread makes you realise just how many beautiful melodies they have come up with.

Not the first thing that most folks would associate with the Rolling Stones.. but maybe they shoudl !

I agree with nearly all the songs folks have mentioned .

has any body mentioned "No use in cryin" ?

That's another one ...and another benefitting from the nice harmonies that I'm so fond of .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-16 10:23 by Spud.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 16, 2018 13:19

As Tears go by or Lady Jayne

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: October 16, 2018 13:42

DandelionPowderman
micawber
WINTER
Simply GREAT.

Both.

Date: October 16, 2018 13:51

micawber
DandelionPowderman
micawber
WINTER
Simply GREAT.

Both.

Thanks. There are very few notes in Mick's phrasing in Winter, so I never thought of that one as a very melodic song.

The guitar/strings theme, however, contains a beautiful melody. The descending notes are very unusual melody-wise for the Stones. Taylor re-did that passage in some of the 1973 YCAGWYW live-versions.

Date: October 17, 2018 02:51

does anything compare to the interwoven notes played by RW and KR on BoB?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home