Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LIVE ALBUM TALK: On Air
Date: September 28, 2018 11:00

The Rolling Stones – On Air

Tracklist and details:

Come On (Saturday Club, 1963)
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction (Saturday Club, 1965)
Roll Over Beethoven (Saturday Club, 1963)
The Spider And The Fly (Yeah Yeah, 1965)
Cops And Robbers (Blues in Rhythm, 1964)
It’s All Over Now (The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964)
Route 66 (Blues in Rhythm, 1964)
Memphis, Tennessee (Saturday Club, 1963)
Down The Road Apiece (Top Gear, 1965)
The Last Time (Top Gear, 1965)
Cry To Me (Saturday Club, 1965)
Mercy, Mercy (Yeah Yeah, 1965)
Oh! Baby (We Got A Good Thing Goin’) (Saturday Club, 1965)
Around And Around (Top Gear, 1964)
Hi Heel Sneakers (Saturday Club, 1964)
Fannie Mae (Saturday Club, 1965)
You Better Move On (Blues in Rhythm, 1964)
Mona (Blues In Rhythm, 1964)

Bonus Tracks (Deluxe)

I Wanna Be Your Man (Saturday Club, 1964)
Carol (Saturday Club, 1964)
I’m moving On (The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964)
If You Need Me (The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964)
Walking The Dog (Saturday Club, 1964)
Confessin’ The Blues (The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964)
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love Top Gear, 1965
Little By Little (The Joe Loss Pop Show, 1964)
Ain’t That Loving You Baby (Rhythm And Blues, 1964)
Beautiful Delilah (Saturday Club, 1964)
Crackin’ Up (Top Gear, 1964)
I Can’t Be Satisfied (Top Gear, 1964)
I Just Want to Make Love To You (Saturday Club, 1964)
2120 South Michigan Avenue (Rhythm and Blues, 1964)

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: On Air
Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 28, 2018 13:17

It is a great collection to show who the Stones really were and why they became famous.
Its a revelation for anyone who was too young to be there in the sixties.
But I didn't buy it because at my age, and having lived through the sixties as they happened, I already had all the tracks and more (and unedited).
The remastered bootlegs I believe have a better sound and are a more complete collection.
Now I'm just waiting for the Luxemburg tapes to surface !!!!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 28, 2018 13:45

I don't think I have listened to it in its entirety.

Mathijs

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 28, 2018 18:45

I think it is a nice surprise, from an era that the Stones dont usually endorse as it were (for copyright reasons I guess). I already had a bootleg with half of the recordings on vinyl (bad pressing though).
I have to admit that I dont play it very often, but dont know why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-28 18:55 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 28, 2018 18:56

Aint That Loving You Baby is from Top Gear and at least one other track isn't from the show they say it is.
They don't appear to have used any surviving BBC tapes held by the BBC and other parties and their Transcription Disc transfers are not the best they could be.
Is it The Last Time that has an error in it ? like a skip ?
The sleeve note contains inaccuracies and the book was far worse and they included nothing from the Radio Luxembourg acetate.
It was a good idea. They should have put someone who knew what they were doing in charge. I have been told that they were advised to ask "Mr X" regarding certain tapes and did not.
Plus Bill had some writing left from the draft sleeve on his head on some issues.
Walking The Dog, I Just Wanna Make Love To You, Hi Heel Sneakers were labelled from the wrong shows iirc.
Apart from all that, I prefer the Assblaster fan made set.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2018 20:17

Great original 24 page thread here filled with pertinent info on this release:

On Air in the Sixties: New Book, CD and LP by The Rolling Stones

Discussion on confirmed album release starts at page 5 (previews, reviews, etc.), with the actual release starting on page 12 with detailed critiques (both positive and negative), etc.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: September 28, 2018 21:16

I was surprised at the poor quality of this set.....seems shoddy and slapdash--hurriedly thrown together with no real thought put into it....bootlegs MUCH better

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 28, 2018 22:21

Too little, too late.
Can't say I was particularly taken by the ‘Audio Source Separation’ either.

This from Zentgraf:

Listed above are the recording dates (the album lists the airing dates). Hi-
Heel Sneakers, Walking The Dog, Ain’t That Loving You Baby and I Just
Want To Make Love To You are misdated on the album's sleeve notes.
Come On, Hi-Heel Sneakers and Ain't That Loving You Baby are
incomplete. Hi-Heel Sneakers is clearly taken from a bootleg source, as it
has a part from the second refrain edited into the first refrain (as it appeared
on a couple of bootlegs, probably to fix a flaw).

The complete "High Heel Sneakers":
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 28, 2018 22:29

havent listened to it in its entirety to comment.

seems a good idea though, as there isnt much live stuff from this era available.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 29, 2018 00:44

Deltics
Too little, too late.

This from Zentgraf:

has a part from the second refrain edited into the first refrain (as it appeared

[www.youtube.com]

Where is the complete version from? Even the assblaster Boot is not complete.

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: September 29, 2018 00:48

It is a production that should have had its launch 20/25 years ago!
besides the errors previously said by you, I am seriously disturbed by the altered order, outside the chronological order that we have all heard from the historical bootlegs

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 29, 2018 01:10

Happy Jack
Deltics
Too little, too late.

This from Zentgraf:

[www.youtube.com]

Where is the complete version from? Even the assblaster Boot is not complete.

From an off-air recording of the whole Joe Loss programme posted on YouTube last year.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-29 01:18 by Deltics.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 29, 2018 02:49

Thank you!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 29, 2018 03:51

This is the stones thru and thru. Wish they would play their old jewels on tour.

On Air
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 14, 2023 10:12

I tried to search if there is a thread for this album, but couldn't find it - surely there is but I am so bloody awful to find anything here...

Not that there was that much to say about it. Just wanted to declare that is a helluva collection. I've listening to it for several days in my car while driving around Finland (holiday). I have liked the album - since the bootleg days - but now I really put my ear on it, and truely discovered its brilliance.

It such a wonderful collection of the early Stones and of their genesis. Almost essential in capturing in one album how they were like in the early days, you know, telling why this band that charmed the world. Lots of Berry and Bo Diddley numbers to begin with. Then some definitive blues covers to show their deep Electric Chicago blues based essence. Then we have great numbers from their 'soul period' , them following up closely the hottest new trends in American Black Music scene. And all this ending up with their original songs, naturally closing with the huge hit single "Satisfaction". From then on a new chapter begins, but that's another story: I simply love the story so far told here!

And oh man, I love their sound here. Surely varies sonically from session and session, but that doesn't bother me (besides, they've a great job there compared to my first bootleg versions of the material). Such freshness, eagerness, natural groove... I could listen, say, "Fanny Mae" or "Cops and Robbers" forever. It is the over-all sound of the band, how each dude contribute so damn tastely the whole noise the band makes, that is simply irrestible for my taste. Oh man. Brian is so integral here, Keith does his best Berry licks ever, Bill is amazing and the way he clicks with Charlie.. Stunning. Mick's voice in most of the songs is one more instrument of the band. No band sounds like the Stones.

At the moment this is my favourite Rolling Stones album - pretty hard to think they could do anything better than this... To quote Keith, maybe this "Best Stones Ever"...

Your thoughts?

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 10:17 by Doxa.

Re: On Air
Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: July 14, 2023 10:38

Doxa, I couldn’t agree more. This stuff is so exciting and original and I enjoy it today just as much as I did when I first bought the bootlegs way back. It’s such a pity that there’s no more to come, I think we have everything from this era that was in the vault. If only we could find the Gomelsky tapes and the missing BBC recordings…..

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 14, 2023 11:15

Old thread
[iorr.org]
Tons of criticism from purists winking smiley.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2023 11:29

ironbelly
Old thread
[iorr.org]

Of course, nothing but critics out th4ere!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 14, 2023 11:32

Whilst it was certainly nice that their session for BBC Radio finally received an official release, I just cannot help but compare it to the terrific, Beatles at the BBC release from 1994. The Beatles' set was expertly researched and the audio-quality near-perfect on the majority of recordings. Yes, the Stones' set has some excellent-sounding recordings, though it also features - for me - too many of so-so quality. I was a little disappointed with the set, truthfully. The set wasn't lavished with the love and care that the Beatles were afforded.

Date: July 14, 2023 11:43

ironbelly
Old thread
[iorr.org]

Thanks for the link! Yeah, need to read the stuff there some day, and I do understand there is a lot to critizise from purist point of view, like there is about any Stones release, but sometimes I just let that all go, and let the music just speak for itself. I think this official one CD version is just such a great complete music in itself. A great flow, a great selection (limited) of suitable songs. Not any definitive collection 'for collector's only', but just a good old time album, if you know what I mean. Like, if one wants to hear how the Stones sounded like in the early days, this would be a great showcase of that. It could be that as I get older, I have lost my interest to catch anything this band is ever done - you know, like any stone unturned for the sake of its own - but more like going back to essentials, you know, like rediscovering why I like this band so much in the first place.

But if the administor feels like, go ahead and add this thread to the old one.

- Doxa

Date: July 14, 2023 11:53

Big Al
Whilst it was certainly nice that their session for BBC Radio finally received an official release, I just cannot help but compare it to the terrific, Beatles at the BBC release from 1994. The Beatles' set was expertly researched and the audio-quality near-perfect on the majority of recordings. Yes, the Stones' set has some excellent-sounding recordings, though it also features - for me - too many of so-so quality. I was a little disappointed with the set, truthfully. The set wasn't lavished with the love and care that the Beatles were afforded.

It could be that anything concerning the Stones is never "lavished with the love and care". It's just not their style. There is always a certain feel 'yeah, this could be done better but we can't give a flying...'. For die-hard collectors and historians this sloppiness/intentional arrogance is a bit annoying, I am sure.

My band. grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-14 11:57 by Doxa.

Date: July 14, 2023 12:30

On Air Live Album Talk: [iorr.org]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 14, 2023 12:38

Doxa
Big Al

It could be that anything concerning the Stones is never "lavished with the love and care". It's just not their style. There is always a certain feel 'yeah, this could be done better but we can't give a flying...'. For die-hard collectors and historians this sloppiness/intentional arrogance is a bit annoying, I am sure.

My band. grinning smiley

- Doxa
Exactly. It is not about the music but about representation of material. Although, I still think that chronological order would let smoother flow of that release.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 14, 2023 13:49

I have listened to it repeatdelty in the past and I enjoyed it a lot. It is R&B rather than R&R. It is what Sam Philips was looking for; the perfect imperfection or the antithesis of the Beatles' music.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 14, 2023 14:05

rollmops
I have listened to it repeatdelty in the past and I enjoyed it a lot. It is R&B rather than R&R. It is what Sam Philips was looking for; the perfect imperfection or the antithesis of the Beatles' music.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Sam Phillips was looking for the antithesis of the Beatles' music??

By the way: the 'early Beatles' were pure rock n' roll.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 14, 2023 16:20

"On Air" is the Bible, Torah and Koran of rock'n'roll. It's all there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home