Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why dont the Stones release the outtakes???
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 24, 2018 15:28

It makes me wonder why. Dylan and neil young seem to do that. I know..some outtakes are simply only sketches or not that good. But there are a lot of unreleased songs or other takes of existing songs and very very good outtakes. There are even quite a lot of gems.
Do the Stones keep them as a kind of insurance in case their grandchildren need money??
I know..we are lucky we can get hold of the outtakes and i treasure them. But a lot of people would be glad if they could hear this stuff too.
Jeroen

Re: Why dont the Stones release the outtakes???
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 24, 2018 15:42

Income? The Stones are still getting rich on the back of tours so have no motivation to spend the time/money on developing an anthology of outtakes. Dylan and Neil Young need other sources of cash, hence the extensive archive releases?

Date: September 24, 2018 16:15

well, i think Dylan and Young are not poor, and dont need much money .but i think they know their fans longing for outtakes and stuff. thats why i dont understand the Stones dont do that . ofcourse we get stuff from the Vault series, but there is so much more,locked up.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-24 16:16 by corriecas.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 24, 2018 16:45

I'd buy a multi CD outtakes package. I'd love them to do a multi live CD set from the 1972 and 73 tours. Will that ever happen? Probably not. I think Jagger and Richard might even be offended - when you start scraping the barrel for outtakes, you're kind of saying you've got nothing new to offer and have given up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-24 16:46 by Father Ted.

Date: September 24, 2018 17:08

Thanks for your comments Father Ted. Guess the outtakes wont ever get released.
Jeroen

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 24, 2018 17:36

Of course more outtakes will see the light of day.....eventually

Date: September 24, 2018 17:40

Maindefender
Of course more outtakes will see the light of day.....eventually

Hope its within 30 years, i will be dead after that period.
jeroen

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 24, 2018 18:42

When unreleased material takes forever to see the light of day, the target audience that would appreciate it the most is either dead, or can't afford it.

If Mick is 75, the Sinatra crowd would be at their youngest in their mid-80's. If you're on a fixed income, are you gonna spend to get an expensive box set, or use that money on medications that keep you alive?

In recent years the Stones have put out a lot of unreleased video, like Charlie Is My Darling, the '78 live film, the '81 and '75 videos, etc., etc. It's like they suddenly woke up to the fact that their original base is fading away. I wish they had put out those films years earlier.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 24, 2018 18:47

I've read many times that Mick wants perfection. It's one reason why the Stones are great!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 24, 2018 19:03

Probably won't see many outtakes until the band is finished, then there will be massive deluxe box sets.

exilestones
I've read many times that Mick wants perfection. It's one reason why the Stones are great!

On the other hand it might be part of the reason some of the latter era work suffers a bit.
Someone recently posted a quote from Bill Wyman saying Mick could be a perfectionist to a fault.
Sometimes it's wise to know when to leave well enough alone.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: September 24, 2018 19:05

exilestones

...and why his solo releases aren't, presumably.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 24, 2018 19:14

exilestones

I always thought Keith was the perfectionist. Well, maybe they both are, that would explain a lot.

Date: September 24, 2018 19:22

loog droog
When unreleased material takes forever to see the light of day, the target audience that would appreciate it the most is either dead, or can't afford it.

If Mick is 75, the Sinatra crowd would be at their youngest in their mid-80's. If you're on a fixed income, are you gonna spend to get an expensive box set, or use that money on medications that keep you alive?

In recent years the Stones have put out a lot of unreleased video, like Charlie Is My Darling, the '78 live film, the '81 and '75 videos, etc., etc. It's like they suddenly woke up to the fact that their original base is fading away. I wish they had put out those films years earlier.

I would spend it on the box set because that will keep me Happy.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-24 19:23 by corriecas.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 24, 2018 19:28

stones might be great but perfection they are not.

they should release as many outtakes as possible, they still have plenty target audience that will buy it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 25, 2018 00:49

buttons67
stones might be great but perfection they are not.

they should release as many outtakes as possible, they still have plenty target audience that will buy it.

Agreed. I always thought that part of the Stones appeal was precisely because they ARE NOT perfectionists. The actual studio time to produce albums, compared to some artists is quite modest. And noone ever mentioned Keith's occasional sloppiness on stage?

Re Outtakes: Don't forget Public Domain and Copyright Laws. After 50 years some of this material could be made available...if there is money to be made....but we are not talking about The Beatles (or Dylan) here and I doubt they would trouble the charts.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 25, 2018 01:30

Do they even own the rights to pre-Sticky Fingers outtakes? ABKCO shows no interest in a set of early outtakes.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 25, 2018 01:37

even if they did want to release the many outtakes they have, i doubt they would want to do it all on the one set of cd,s. More money to be made on drip feeding us 2 or 3 at a time as part of a wider already released compilation.

would be great though to get as many outtakes as possible in some format,as it would increase the number of official songs they have which stands at 400 at present according to well known sources.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: September 25, 2018 01:40

Why do you need official outtakes ? There are plenty of good quality ones available from all periods if you care to look.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2018 01:51

Father Ted
I'd buy a multi CD outtakes package. I'd love them to do a multi live CD set from the 1972 and 73 tours. Will that ever happen? Probably not. I think Jagger and Richard might even be offended - when you start scraping the barrel for outtakes, you're kind of saying you've got nothing new to offer and have given up.

They certainly didn't mind releasing another ridiculous greatest hits release that should've been called FIFTY LICKS.

It's interesting in that with TATTOO YOU there was nothing newly recorded with the band for that album. They could certainly do something like that again for a new album now going as far back as the 1993 VOODOO sessions. But... they don't want to, have to or need to now, where as in 1981, they did.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2018 01:54

ab
Do they even own the rights to pre-Sticky Fingers outtakes? ABKCO shows no interest in a set of early outtakes.

Not to my knowledge, nor all 9 of 10 songs on STICKY FINGERS (ABKCO Music) and the few on EOMS.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 25, 2018 08:21

corriecas
It makes me wonder why. Dylan and neil young seem to do that. I know..some outtakes are simply only sketches or not that good. But there are a lot of unreleased songs or other takes of existing songs and very very good outtakes. There are even quite a lot of gems.
Do the Stones keep them as a kind of insurance in case their grandchildren need money??
I know..we are lucky we can get hold of the outtakes and i treasure them. But a lot of people would be glad if they could hear this stuff too.
Jeroen

thumbs up

Date: September 25, 2018 09:18

carouslambra
Why do you need official outtakes ? There are plenty of good quality ones available from all periods if you care to look.

I know, and i have them. i was not talking for myself, but in behalf of other people.
we are not alone on this world and being egotistic is not nice.
jeroen

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 25, 2018 09:38

I don't understand the reluctance of the band and ABKCO to do something with their 60s catalogue of unreleased music. Even if they don't have every multi-track / master from that period we know from the Mobile Fidelity/ABKCO listings that they have a few cd.s worth of outtakes. The Satanic 50th box was piss poor and their "copyright protection" releases were a joke and possibly even infringed other companies copyright such as Europe 1 and whoever owns Ed Sullivan.
On Air was badly mishandled (in my opinion) and the failure to put out something like the Radio Luxembourg acetate (my personal Stones holy grail) is mystifying.
When you look at the last few years archive releases by The Beatles, The Who, Kinks, Neil Young, Dylan, Hendrix, The Beach Boys, crikey even The Monkees etc. etc. you have to wonder whether Mick and co. are simply uncooperative and ABKCO incompetent or a combination thereof.
The next few months are going to be very expensive for 60s collectors with November sets due by all and sundry. As yet, no real word regarding a Beggars set. It will be incredibly disappointing if they don't do something really special for the 50th. The White Album and Village Green Preservation Society are getting the full treatment. It's hard to believe that White / VGPS and Beggars were all released within days of each other. What a brilliant trio of albums. Surely there must be a well thought through 50th Beggars. It's probably THE pivotal LP in their catalogue, not to mention my personal favourite.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 25, 2018 10:49

Outtakes are unfinished art. You may get them on bootlegs and through other sources, but they are not supposed to be released to the public.

It is like an author should be releasing all the notes related to every book they are writing. The book - or the song - is the final product - the art - while the work towards that art item is not to be published to the public. Later on, for historic reasons, fans like us do of course want to see and hear everything. I would not mind being in the studio while they work on new songs.

Bjornulf

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 25, 2018 12:19

GasLightStreet
ab

Not to my knowledge, nor all 9 of 10 songs on STICKY FINGERS (ABKCO Music) and the few on EOMS.

There is a difference.
RECORDINGS ie the Masters only for pre 71 (excluding SF) are owned by ABKCO. The convoluted 1972 legal settlement with ABKCO meant, I believe that currently ABKCO Records cannot release outakes without the Stones agreement.

PUBLISHING. This is Mick and Keith's domain with all songs up to and including SF compositions and four or so on Exile copyrighted to ABKCO, the Publisher. The copyright period for publishing purposes is considerably longer than that for recorded work.

If the will was there (on both parties part) an Anthology series could be put out now. Maybe Mick will give it some thought whenever the group ceases to be? Of course when they have met their Maker the Lawyers and Estate Management people will take over...so expect any hidden gems to see the light of day then.
Not convinced there would be much commercial interest however.

Date: September 25, 2018 12:43

carouslambra

Better quality and more of them.

The Stones have been releasing outtakes with Some Girls Deluxe and Sticky Fingers Deluxe. Love'm!

Date: September 25, 2018 12:49

Sticky Fingers: Super Deluxe Edition

This will be out of print and worth a fortune some day.

Date: September 25, 2018 13:19

exilestones
carouslambra

Better quality and more of them.

The Stones have been releasing outtakes with Some Girls Deluxe and Sticky Fingers Deluxe. Love'm!
I know Exilestones.but we need more n more outtakes officially released.indeed because of the soundquality.
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-25 13:31 by corriecas.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 25, 2018 13:42

bv
Outtakes are unfinished art. You may get them on bootlegs and through other sources, but they are not supposed to be released to the public.

It is like an author should be releasing all the notes related to every book they are writing. The book - or the song - is the final product - the art - while the work towards that art item is not to be published to the public. Later on, for historic reasons, fans like us do of course want to see and hear everything. I would not mind being in the studio while they work on new songs.

That is true but after a certain amount of time has passed, the work towards the final product becomes of great interest and historically significant. I would point at The Beach Boys Smile album and She's Your Lover Now by Bob Dylan. Both the Smile box set and the Dylan Cutting Edge box (every studio session 65-66) and complete 1966 Tour Box are essential documents. If presented correctly, these kind of things can be both an insight into the artistic process and entertaining.
It's also worth remembering that on occasion, tracks don't get released not because they're bad but because they're surplus to requirements or even sometimes the artist has lost sight of direction. The Smile album by the Beach Boys is arguably the high art moment of 60s pop yet it was left on the shelf for 45 years.
Take a look at the new White Album set. I'm sure I'll find something to moan about but blimey, if there's room in this world for outtakes of Ob La Di Ob La Da then I don't think it's too much to ask for a proper Beggars Sessions retrospective !

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 25, 2018 14:12

ABCKO can't be bothered and it would take a businessman with a dynamite business presentation to prove to them that it would be financially worth opening up the vaults.
I think compared to The Beatles, Dylan, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, The Beach Boys, and The Who that the Stones are just about the poorest of the major league acts in exhuming treasures from the archives.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home