Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: first concert new Wembley for Bon Jovi
Posted by: Marnix ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:07

According a dutch website Nieuws.nl will Bon Jovi be the first live act in the New Wembley Stadium in London on June 11th 2006.

Re: OT: first concert new Wembley for Bon Jovi
Posted by: sater ()
Date: September 30, 2005 23:16

this is 5 or 6 post about that...........

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 1, 2005 01:35

Now it's also on the belgian news channel.
Still, I don't believe it yet.This just can't be true.
But if it is........than the Stones ....are a...

Posted by: terry ()
Date: October 1, 2005 01:42

bon jovi said on bbc radio 2 on friday that he will play the new wembley in june....what load of bollocks that is...theres only one band that should open wembley...cant believe that two bit band will open wembley ...come on mick sort this out

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: October 1, 2005 01:43

FROM BBC WEBSITE................

Bon Jovi book new Wembley stadium

Bon Jovi were the last musical act to play at the old stadium
Bon Jovi have become the first band to announce they will perform at the new Wembley Stadium in London when it opens after six years of rebuilding.
The US rockers will appear at the new venue on 11 June 2006, a month after it is due to open with the FA Cup Final.

Wembley said it was likely to be the first concert at the new stadium, but other acts were also being lined up.

Bon Jovi were the last musical act to play at the old stadium in 2000 before it was knocked down.

Singer Jon Bon Jovi said: "The band and I are looking forward to performing at the new Wembley and creating new memories with our fans. It's going to be an incredible night."

The band's latest album Have A Nice Day has just gone in at number two in both the UK and US albums charts.

As well as football, the old Wembley stadium became known for high-profile concerts including Live Aid, Queen, Michael Jackson and The Rolling Stones.

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 1, 2005 02:01

We know the first show ever held at a brand new stadium would just have to have perfect logistics and sound with no rough spots whatsoever.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 1, 2005 02:02

"Wembley said it was likely to be the first concert at the new stadium, but other acts were also being lined up".

"Likely" unless someone else as yet unconfirmed gets in a week earlier

There's still a 'glimmer' of hope, then! You have to remember that Wembley CANT say the Stones (or anyone else) will be the first act unless and until the band publicly announce their tour schedule. Bon Jovi could very well have played the stadium the previous weekend and that would have pretty much guaranteed them being the first act to play there - maybe the reason they didnt is because the venue is 'provisionally' booked for someone else...

After all the noises made about this in the last year or two, I would find it absolutely inconceivable that the Stones and their management have not either approached or been approached by the owners of the stadium about being the first act to play there. These people are very protective of the stadium's tradition and history. A London band, and the biggest one of all, is the most appropriate act to be the curtain raiser. Everyone bloody knows that and the Stones themselves would be more than aware of it and conscious of the prestige and publicity that getting that gig will have.

And yeah, the Singing Poodle himself was on The Frank Skinner Show last night talking about being the first act to play Wembley...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-01 02:06 by Gazza.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: October 1, 2005 03:04

lol just love it the singing poodle....bon jovi said on radio two that he went on a tube to wembley and arranged the show...desperate git...but like gazza said..theres still time for the stones to arrange something.. they have a week or two to play with...its only right the stones do this gig...it be a crying shame if the stones let this go

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 1, 2005 04:39

I was under the impression this is a brand new building with the same name. Hence there is no "tradition and history" to speak of. Or as Gazza said, no dates have been announced for Europe for the stadium cannot announce the concert. Its also possible they have a better offer at a different venue or due to routing reasons they cannot be the first concert. Its my own personal opinion that I would not want to hassle seeing the Stones at a massive venue that has never hosted a rock concert. Let some other band break it in. Then again I have no intention of going unless Hanoi Rocks and Therapy? are confirmed as openers.

Date: October 2, 2005 21:18

well, to use a comparison, Dan..there have been 3 or 4 Madison Square Gardens, and the current one has only been on the same site since 1968 - and I think you'd have a heck of an argument that that venue (which is probably the most famous indoor arena in the world) doesnt have a 'tradition' or 'history'

The new Wembley is on the same site as the old one, so considering its a reconstructed version of the most famous sports stadium in the world, I'd say theres some history worth talking about

There is a huge amount of prestige in being the first act to play there. And considering what the stadium means to London and England in general, the Stones are the most obvious choice to play there

Bon Jovi opening it is akin to Fenway Park or Giants Stadium being rebuilt and the organisers bypassing local acts like Aerosmith or Bruce Springsteen respectively and giving the honour of being the first band to play there to U2 or Robbie Williams instead.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 2, 2005 21:48

The singing poodle? !!!

Gazza, honestly, you suprise me.

I think that remark is totally uncalled for and that you should apologize at once.

The poodle is a noble breed and undeserving of such a slight.

Date: October 2, 2005 21:52

Camper

I would sooner f*ck a poodle than defend Bon Jovi...

my apologies to pooch lovers everywhere for the comparison, however

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-02 21:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: sam726 ()
Date: October 3, 2005 01:21

It would mean a lot to me too if the Stones were the first band to play the new Wembley.

I've noticed that getmetickets.net is selling tickets for the stones at Wembley on 18 June 2006 - a week after Bon Jovi. Although they admit that this date is provisional (do they know something we don't).

I wonder why both dates are Sundays - I know they sometimes add extra dates but they normally start with the Saturday don't they? I guess the only way for the Stones to play on the 10th would be if they shared a stage....

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 3, 2005 02:41

Please do not corrupt this site by even writing the name of that most despised Jersey band.

Date: October 3, 2005 17:11

sam726 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would mean a lot to me too if the Stones were
> the first band to play the new Wembley.
>
> I've noticed that getmetickets.net is selling
> tickets for the stones at Wembley on 18 June 2006
> - a week after Bon Jovi. Although they admit that
> this date is provisional (do they know something
> we don't).
>
> I wonder why both dates are Sundays - I know they
> sometimes add extra dates but they normally start
> with the Saturday don't they? I guess the only way
> for the Stones to play on the 10th would be if
> they shared a stage....
>

those brokers have had those dates for several months. Its guesswork and like all of their crap, subject to change. Plus they had listed back to back nights (17th and 18th) - which proves that they know next to nothing about Stones tour schedules as the band never play two nights in a row anymore

Posted by: riffhard72 ()
Date: October 3, 2005 19:02

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home