Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: what is your fav version of Midnight Rambler?
Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 25, 2018 02:56

DandelionPowderman
This is probably the best one, playing-wise.

Would have liked to hear it in the late 60s/early 70s, though, with the gear and the equipment they used back then.

[youtu.be]

Nonsense...... Clean, crisp and plodding. Just like everything else on that tour. As much as I loved it at the time, being a kid, and a new fan and all, with hindsight I realise that this is The karaoke version of The Stones.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: September 25, 2018 04:52

Brussels Affair '73. Best version for me. Mick T and Kieth tighter than ever.

Date: September 25, 2018 08:44

strat72
DandelionPowderman
This is probably the best one, playing-wise.

Would have liked to hear it in the late 60s/early 70s, though, with the gear and the equipment they used back then.

[youtu.be]

Nonsense...... Clean, crisp and plodding. Just like everything else on that tour. As much as I loved it at the time, being a kid, and a new fan and all, with hindsight I realise that this is The karaoke version of The Stones.

You can't get past the sound? I was referring to the band performance, which is indeed excellent.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 25, 2018 08:56

Hampden Park Glasgow 1990.I get all that about the 1969 and 1973 versions But,to actually be there and watch and hear the song unfold surrounded by a great audience of wisecracking Glaswegians.A great version indeed that's what makes it my fav version. Taken from my cassettes.

[wetransfer.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 25, 2018 15:35

1972 and 1973 are the real live versions anyways.

Date: September 25, 2018 15:38

Redhotcarpet
1972 and 1973 are the real live versions anyways.

This one is just a wannabee?

Mick Taylor sounds exactly like Rick Parfitt here, btw grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-25 15:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 25, 2018 16:04

Tonstone
Hampden Park Glasgow 1990. Taken from my cassettes.

[wetransfer.com]

This shows what's problematic about Chuck's playing : MR is a dangerous nasty song but CL's style is everything but menacing or dangerous. It's just bluesy plink-plonk.
Maybe we shoud change this thread into "is there a really gripping version of MR performed during the CL era?" grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-25 16:26 by dcba.

Posted by: MTWEMISSYOU ()
Date: September 25, 2018 16:15

mandu
my fav version is off ladies and gentlemen,Midnight Rambler Rocks
You got it right it is the BEST version that I have ever heard. The interplay between Jaggers harmonica and Taylors guitar in the middle section is mind blowing and unlike anything I have ever heard on any other recording. London Roundhouse 71 is a close second in my opinion.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 25, 2018 16:35

dcba
Tonstone

[wetransfer.com]

This shows what's problematic about Chuck's playing : MR is a dangerous nasty song but CL's style is everything but menacing or dangerous. It's just bluesy plink-plonk.
Maybe we shoud change this thread into "is there a really gripping version of MR performed during the CL era?" grinning smiley
His cheerful plinking during this number is insufferable.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 25, 2018 16:47

My problem with all the '71-'73 versions is that they are to fast because IMHO that destroys the dangeous and scary feel if the original version. The ya-yas version has a good tempo though. Give me the ya-yas version combined with Mick Taylors virtuosity from the Brussels version and that would be the perfect rambler.

Date: September 25, 2018 16:59

StonedRambler
My problem with all the '71-'73 versions is that they are to fast because IMHO that destroys the dangeous and scary feel if the original version. The ya-yas version has a good tempo though. Give me the ya-yas version combined with Mick Taylors virtuosity from the Brussels version and that would be the perfect rambler.

Taylor's playing is best on the slow parts of the Brussels-version, imo.

The 71 versions are a bit slower than the 72-75 versions.

The version on Ya Yas is perfection. However, I've heard it a zillion times (because it's so good), so I'm into more obscure versions these days, hehe

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 25, 2018 17:56

London Roundhouse great version up their with ya yas brussels and 2003 MSG.

DP - the IORR band version is awesome your playing Keith's parts were awesome along with Mathis playing MT parts and the rest of the band sounding like brussels affair.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 25, 2018 18:03

Listening to MR (BA) now. yeah yeah. outstanding version. Mick Taylor was quite something. Hope he is doing allright .
Jeroen

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 25, 2018 23:10

dcba
Tonstone

[wetransfer.com]

Hey DCBA That's your opinion - but the post was what is your favourite version . I gave my reason . yes I understand about the plink plonk. You were not there I was. and to me at the time it was epic . If you want to change the thread then that's your choice.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: September 26, 2018 00:10

Midnight Rambler Shanghai 2014,
Its an mp3 but its the only audio I've found and i love it. Enjoy!

Wetransfer.com

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 26, 2018 01:20

With Mick Taylor only

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: September 26, 2018 01:23

brussels, ya yas

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 26, 2018 01:31

Three-way tie for me between YA-YA'S / LADIES AND GENTLEMEN / BRUSSELS AFFAIR

25 minutes or so of the very best band ever at their peak.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-26 01:31 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 26, 2018 09:07

dcba
Tonstone

[wetransfer.com]

Good one!

Date: September 26, 2018 09:11

My favourite versions are 2; Brussels 1st show and the one which one can see a glimpse of in CS blues and the "Rewind" video; available in it's entirely on bootleg CD. Is that the L&G version? Can't remember, all of a sudden; I thought it was Philadelphia July 20th....?

Date: September 26, 2018 10:31

black n blue
With Mick Taylor only

Yeah, let's forget about the one on Let It Bleed. Never happened winking smiley

Date: September 26, 2018 15:30

MichaelLassen
Roskilde 2014, Mick Taylor on fire, the longest version ever and Jagger on fire infront of a fresh audience

So they are all on fire and fresh - how good for you - I would love to sell you a used car btw

Basically; the MR of after 1975 do suck. Exceptions.....thinking....no, there are no exceptions!

Date: September 26, 2018 15:54

I don't know. Midnight Rambler usually sounds pretty good. At least up until 2014 / 2015. (I haven't listened to many since after Buffalo 2015.)

The 1999 b-stage versions were great in Boston and in Hartford.

Brussels ; L & G ; London Roundhouse are surely the best but, I would rank 1999 "Rambler" (Hartford and Boston at least) behind the '69 to '73 performances.

Date: September 26, 2018 16:20

The slow parts of the Brussels-version is perhaps some of the best work the Stones ever have done. But the rest? Nah, too fast and sloppy. Horrendous vocals.

Roundhouse and Ya Yas are excellent all the way through, but don't reach the peak of the Brussels-version. There are many more versions like those.

The Roskilde-version was majestic! I was there. 14-15 minutes of pure bliss. The main reason why the danish press were raving in their reviews of the show.

Date: September 26, 2018 16:25

Ya Yas feels more restrained and controlled. The tempo, the vocals, everyone is on point and playing perfectly in sync.

Brussels sounds like a band riding the edge of chaos. MT really outdid himself though.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 26, 2018 16:28

1972 when Mick whips the stage with his belt>grinning smiley<

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 26, 2018 16:41

keefriff99
Ya Yas feels more restrained and controlled. The tempo, the vocals, everyone is on point and playing perfectly in sync.

Brussels sounds like a band riding the edge of chaos. MT really outdid himself though.

I have been trying to buy on CD ‘Brussels Affair’ for ages always priced very high
UNTIL NOW
I found 1, ordered, on way thanks for your prompt to look again.
Watch out for me driving next week ;-)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 26, 2018 16:41

Rotterdam 73 - the 1st of the 3 soldout Shows!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 26, 2018 16:53

Winning Ugly VXII

The 1999 b-stage versions were great

Yes, thx for the reminder! That's a song that worked perfectly and acquired a new dimension when played on the "confetti" stage.

Date: September 26, 2018 17:00

Winning Ugly VXII
I don't know. Midnight Rambler usually sounds pretty good. At least up until 2014 / 2015. (I haven't listened to many since after Buffalo 2015.)

The 1999 b-stage versions were great in Boston and in Hartford.

Brussels ; L & G ; London Roundhouse are surely the best but, I would rank 1999 "Rambler" (Hartford and Boston at least) behind the '69 to '73 performances.
I was at the Boston show...Midnight Rambler was so bluesy and rocking that my knees almost buckled under me during the slow middle jam. It was incredible.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home