Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Any Ted Nugent fans out there?
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: September 21, 2018 23:52

Just been listening to "This is Ted Nugent" on Spotify.Never really listened to him before,but was well aware of his killer rock guitar sound.Particularly like the song Fred Bear.Politics aside and all that,are there any other fans out there?Any recommended tracks?Recent live shows?Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-22 07:51 by bv.

Re: Any Ted Nugent fans out there?
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 22, 2018 00:02

stargroover
Just been listening to "This is Ted Nugent" on Spotify.Never really listened to him before,but was well aware of his killer rock guitar sound.Particularly like the song Fred Bear.Politics aside and all that,are there any other fans out there?Any recommended tracks?Recent live shows?Thanks in advance.

Not too many will admit it these days.

Painkiller off Little Miss Dangerous is an underrated track.

Fred Bear is a later era fan favorite. Tooth, Fang & Claw is a decent enough later era song though just about everything after the Derek St Holmes era is contrived and mediocre.

There are LOADS of soundboards and FM broadcasts from the 1970's.

However, let it be known that if he continued with a genuine band name post Amboy Dukes, Derek St Holmes would be fronting a still semi popular rock band on the summer shed circuit with a different guitar player and no one would remember Ted Nugent's name.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: September 22, 2018 00:03

He had a good run out of the box with Ted Nugent (1975), Free-for-All (1976) and Cat Scratch Fever (1977). After that he only caught my ear with a song or two.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2018 00:13

Visions of smoking bong loads while listening to Stranglehold back in the day...
As mentioned above, first three albums were for the most part great.
Saw him at the Santa Monica Civic mid '80's and he sucked.

One of his best songs:

Ted Nugent - Dog Eat Dog

Great White Buffalo w/Amboy Dukes was also good - especially the extended live versions.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 22, 2018 00:16

Never allowed him into The Bunker …..Too many ballads for this kid ...…

ROCKMAN

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 22, 2018 00:16

Ted Nugent is a far-right @#$%& these days.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 22, 2018 00:35

Blah blah blah

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2018 00:59

Stranglehold is one of the greatest rock songs ever, and Double Live Gonzo is an absolutely smoking live album.

I despise him as a person, but he was one hell of a guitarist and showman back in the day.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 22, 2018 02:40

Ted Nugent is scum. He adopted a 17year old so he could have sex with her. Real nice guy. His music sucks!

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: September 22, 2018 02:53

my sister loved him in the '70s....weekend warriors and intensities in ten cities....never caught on with me...but I heard a lot of his stuff...along with Foghat……..

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 22, 2018 03:23

IrisC
Ted Nugent is scum. He adopted a 17year old so he could have sex with her. Real nice guy. His music sucks!

He also admitted crapping his paints to avoid the draft. He is scum

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 22, 2018 03:39

I applaud anyone who denounces what he represents and espouses.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 22, 2018 03:57

Wasn't there a bunch of stuff thrown back and forth about Nugent in another thread recently? Whatever's gonna show up here is probably already there. Never really listened to anything by him beyond Cat Scratch Fever which was good for party time back in the day.

Date: September 22, 2018 05:35

dmay
Wasn't there a bunch of stuff thrown back and forth about Nugent in another thread recently? Whatever's gonna show up here is probably already there. Never really listened to anything by him beyond Cat Scratch Fever which was good for party time back in the day.
You mention his name, and you're gonna instantly gonna get strong reactions from people.

Like I said, I think he's a terrible person but I can admire his work from the '70s.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 22, 2018 05:57

Listening to the Nuge in his hey day was like buying a bag of BBQ pork rinds from the vending machine and scarfing them down...or scaling the mackerel to dad's "Playboy"...very short term pleasure. But then you do it again.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 22, 2018 06:09

Does he ever take a bath?

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 22, 2018 06:17

I saw him several times in the late 70s. At the time, it was a damn good show. Haven't listened to him since.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 22, 2018 07:05

His first album, as well as a smattering of ones after, are great. Even fantastic. He lost it pretty quickly but had a the classic run many had in the 70s of like 5 pretty good album and then a live album thats basically the best of those. Ted was no exception.

As for today, I couldn't really care less about his politics. Sure he's a gun toting loon but I pay him to play guitar. So as long as he can still do that I'm fine. And honestly, he's entertaining. I may disagree with everything he stands for, but he's an entertaining figure and he's not hurting anyone. I just don't get when a musician's politics really bothers someone else. You pay to hear to the music. I have no problem being a Ted Nugent music fan, entertained by the man, and disagreeing with all his beliefs.

Date: September 22, 2018 14:52

More Hot Rocks
IrisC

why does this got brought up every time? ted got a student deferment that can be viewed online. he made up the story about crapping his pants for high time magazine because he doesn't like potheads

Re: OT: Any Ted Nugent fans out there?
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 22, 2018 15:54

Some of his bandmates speak very badly of him,allegedly taking their songs as his own and not crediting or paying them for it

Date: September 22, 2018 16:34

keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
IrisC

why does this got brought up every time? ted got a student deferment that can be viewed online. he made up the story about crapping his pants for high time magazine because he doesn't like potheads
He put it out there, prank or not. Given all the awful things he's said in his life, it's only fair that that story gets hung around his neck like a millstone.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 22, 2018 16:45

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
More Hot Rocks
IrisC

He put it out there, prank or not. Given all the awful things he's said in his life, it's only fair that that story gets hung around his neck like a millstone.

The main point about the story is that, regardless of how it actually happened, he avoided the draft, because he considered himself too important to actually go and that his music mattered more. Which is a curious thing to have done for someone who keeps on saying "support the troops" and states that more people should serve and fight in wars.

As to main point here in this thread, musically, he hasn't achieved anything truly stellar after the '70s. He became the living embodiment of trying to recycle past glories and stopped looking for new, inventive riffs. The only thing he was connected to that was good after this period was Damn Yankees, but that was mainly good because of Tommy Shaw and Jack Blades.

And live, he isn't anywhere near as good as he used to be. He hits all the notes and chords, sure, but his playing of them has become noticeably slack. Now all his intensity has become focused on his personality and his vile onstage rants, doing so to compensate for what he has lost.

I will always admire what he achieved with the Amboy Dukes and in the '70s, but he simply is the definition of washed up.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 22, 2018 16:52

Had a Ted Nugent belt buckle and some 8 tracks in the day. Like Free for All but not to my taste these days.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 23, 2018 01:34

He named an album Intensities in Ten Cities. So I'll give him props for that. And nothing else.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 23, 2018 02:09

i'll take keith & the blade vs ted & the bow any day....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2018 02:17

What worries me recently is seein' Keith in a Nugent style camouflage jacket ………..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: September 23, 2018 06:14

PS - BV I'm really trying to stay to facts here and avoid politics.

I heard the first radio play of "Stranglehold" in 1975 in Los Angeles, and it was completely striking. I bought his first 4 albums. So 38 years later (!) I finally decided to see his show at The Canyon in Agoura.

Even though he's "out there" and beyond my own Republican stands, I still admired his commitment to the "hunter lifestyle."

But his show was the same day Trevon Martin's shooter was acquitted. I don't care about one's viewpoint, but no matter what that was a sad event since a kid died.

Ted came out wailing on the guitar and he screamed his first words "George Zimmerman!!!! Not f-ing guilty!!!!!" A few cheers but a lot of boos...

I almost walked out but wanted to see the show. Never again, however, and several people outbound said the same thing.

But yeah he can still hit that axe...

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 23, 2018 09:13

Braincapers
Some of his bandmates speak very badly of him,allegedly taking their songs as his own and not crediting or paying them for it

You know, that has a familiar ring to it...where have I heard that before?

Not a Nuge fan here.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 23, 2018 23:22

Braincapers

Oh, like Mick and Keith?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 24, 2018 01:07

Love Ted...huntin' season's around the cornerhot smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1910
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10