Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Any Marc Bolan fans ?
Date: September 21, 2018 15:06

I remember way back while first digging into the Stones catalog etc, but also finding other music that I had "Bolan Boogie". A good collection because it has the earliest Glam rockers on there, but mainly it is the transitional songs that dominate the album. It was a collection but came off like a strong album.
His acoustic work isn't for everyone. I just got done reading a bio on him. Odd thing - the writer didn't seem to like Bolan very much LOL. The word 'bleating' was used a lot for his vocals. I like the early stuff a lot. And Steve Took should get way more credit than he does.
Bolan stumbled later on when he became fat - physically and artistically, but he found his mojo again before his passing. Last album was strong.

Re: OT Any Marc Bolan fans ?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 21, 2018 15:17

No argument here.

I was a fan .

[ Aside from anything else...he could swing . Liked his rhythms & timing]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 21, 2018 15:41

Tyrannosaurus Rex should be re-evaluated.
Literally, Marc was Rolls Royce from 1968 to 1973. memento mori.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-21 15:45 by Toru A.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: September 21, 2018 16:26

He was extremely gifted

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 21, 2018 16:34

Sorry.....doesn't float my boat. Never has done

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 21, 2018 16:40

I feel like you either love him or hate him. You either dig that style or you don't. Personally, I loved his guitar playing and his lyrics, which were basically just children's poetry, are amazing. He said so much with so little. But I know many guitar players that think he was extremely limited and then hate the song writing. It was right up my alley. I know everyone makes a big deal about Electric Warrior, I think its ok. The Slider is my @#$%& bag though. One of the best albums ever to me. And Ringo Starr shot the iconic album cover! Tanx was also pretty good. Beyond those 3 it does immediately drop off though which is sad. He seemed like he was finally getting it back towards the end there, then so tragically died. How insane, he was deathly afraid of driving so he never did, and then gets killed in a car accident that his girlfriend was driving. So beyond sad. Loved the man, wish he was still around.

David Bowie idolized him. Did a great job emulating him with Black Country Rock. I love Bolan's lead on ELO's Ma Ma Ma Belle. Great friends with Ringo and Elton and Keith Moon. Just so tragic. Died before he could truly be celebrated. This final thing shows he could have been onto some great stuff here. This sounds classic T Rex. Recorded like a week before he died and aired like a week after. So sad, it sounded good:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-21 16:43 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 21, 2018 18:11

BIG fan. T.Rex were the first group I saw live, back in 1971. I have pretty much a full collection from Tyrannosaurus Rex through to Bolan's Zip Gun and love all of it. The phase from Unicorn through to The Slider was near perfection, with Slider being the best of the lot. Tanx was a strong album too.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 21, 2018 22:22

Big fan, too. Perhaps unfairly he seems to be always reduced to his most commercial glam phase nowadays. Considering his whole body of work, he is one of the true geniusses in Rock 'n Roll history.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2018 22:32

He was great... thumbs up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 21, 2018 22:55

Get It On was blasting out most venues early Seventies I visited - Great Times

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 21, 2018 23:26

20th Century Boy. One of the classic rock guitar openings that just grips you by the gonads.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: September 21, 2018 23:57

Yeah, I have almost all of his albums. Electric Warrior was huge during my high school years.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: September 22, 2018 12:08

My gonads were unimpressed by Mr Bolan. I always looked upon him as a bleating, low brow, prancing, glam rock opportunitist who ran out of steam when his fans grew out of it. I don't mean that in a bad way.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: September 22, 2018 13:22

Loved some of his Boogie songs.
Once read that Keith hated him.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 22, 2018 13:53

RollingFreak
David Bowie idolized him. Did a great job emulating him with Black Country Rock.

There are some episodes about relationship between Marc Bolan and David Bowie.

"Boogaloo" was a favorite phrase of Marc.
David quoted this on All The Young Dudes.

Management company established by Tony Defries (manager of David) was Mainman.
Main Man was one of songs of T.Rex "The Slider."

The Rise and Fall of ZIGGY STARDUST and The Spiders From Mars inspired the title of ZINC ALLOY and The Hidden Riders of Tomorrow or A Creamed Cage in August.

The original "The Prettiest Star" by David featured Marc Bolan on guitar.

They wished to rhyme on baby's name when their child were born.
They lived up to their promise actually naming their children as Rolan and Zowie. smiling smiley
David paid for Rolan's education and settled other expenses for him since Marc passed away.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 22, 2018 15:57

I was a fan and still love his music. Probably the rock death that upset me the most

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 22, 2018 15:59

ROLLINGSTONE
20th Century Boy. One of the classic rock guitar openings that just grips you by the gonads.

Once saw a show where the True Believers--opening for the Replacements--performed it.

Since the Replacements had already covered it (on a b-side), they played it too during their set that followed!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 22, 2018 17:44

ROLLINGSTONE

Gets mine...every time

video: [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 22, 2018 17:50

Kurt
ROLLINGSTONE

Gets mine...every time

video: [m.youtube.com]

I still have very fond memories of watching this video on MTV, soon after I came back to my hotel room after watching the Stones for the first time.

20th Century Boy

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: September 22, 2018 18:35

yes sr

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 22, 2018 21:40

I like his big hits, but they sound alike. He was like a glam version of Bo Diddley. Maybe his albums have more variety. I did watch the Ringo-directed "Born to Boogie" movie on YouTube, which is odd. Marc was a good showman.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 22, 2018 22:27

Yes and no, only his big hits

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 22, 2018 23:54

"Yes and no, only his big hits"

Same here, NICOS.

But I really loved "Get It On"...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 23, 2018 00:23

Love his early-70’s run of top-notch singles. Bolan’s dream was to be No.1 and appear on BBC’s Top of the Pops. He genuinely didn’t aspire to much more. Hi

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: September 23, 2018 05:13

Like him a Lot, Electric Warrior is one of the best albums of all time.

LIke his acoustics songs a lot, songs like "Girl" "Spaceball Ricochet" "Main Man" "Life's a Gas" are incredibles songs.

Marc Bolan had all you need to be a rock star, he could play guitar, write from good to all time classic songs, he was a good looking guy. What else do you need ?

I think he was not as famous in the US as he was in UK. Am I right ?

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2018 06:09

What else do you need ? ........ Chilli ... rice and a good dose of satisfaction

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 23, 2018 09:43

Hairball
He was great... thumbs up

Yep, I agree. I just watched some of his videos this weekend. Very gifted, indeed.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 23, 2018 10:35

I did like his music, sorry hes gone.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 23, 2018 10:42

…. now that's a nice warm group of words bb.. …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: September 23, 2018 12:26

Yes I like him. Always looked forward to Marc and T-Rex appearing on Top of the Pops in the early 70's. He was one of the giants of the Glam Rock era in the UK and one of the first rock stars I became aware of and went out and bought their records.

He was a great loss in my view and I still occasionally go and see T-Rex tribute bands when they play nearby.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home