Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17
Re: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 4, 2021 22:16

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet
RollingFreak
There has never been a band where fans are forced to defend the company line moreso than KISS. And I say that as a huge fan of them. But the way the band spins things, and then fans will run with that to stay on the right side of their idols is truly hysterical. I hope in the long run it works out for them. As for the band itself, I do still, however small the chances are now, hope for a respectful farewell to this once great band.

Its also even funnier the way fans act because of the way Paul Stanley acts. He was one of the best frontmen ever, and was maybe always a dick, but in the last 25 years showed he was a colossal one. All his stuff in the 90s about bands staying too late at the party, lip syncing isn't ever acceptable, and now they do it all. They just change the wording. SOME shouldn't stay too long at the party, but we still have it. The band will never cop to lip syncing but fans have now defended it as necessary and not all that bad. I applaud that they have tried to keep trucking, and if they quit when they said they were going to they wouldn't have gotten caught in a tangle of very funny past lines. KISS was never honest, and it reached a certain point where I feel it just seems so much harder to lie than just tell the truth. You're 70, who the hell even cares anymore?

Wow that's hilarious!

It is fun to bash KISS since they are the epitome of over the top ridiculous - and always have been. That was part of the charm. Which, really, should've never stopped. But the other stuff, eh, somehow they got signed - what garage band hasn't had at least one moment that something sounded good?

That's where the rub is it seems: big spectacle but no actual talent, hence the studio recordings (what are the chances it's not KISS but session musicians?) for their live sound.

They are very talented. Ace Frehley has influenced every guitar player that followed him, even if his skills were limited. And Paul and Gene were great songwriters. Maybe not writing the next Stairway to Heaven, but fun great rock songs that they did consistently for as long as all of their contemporaries.

When Dan Rather asked Gene Simmons to rate his songwriting between 1 and 10, Simmons said 5 or 6. So you take into account his big ego that equates to about a 2 or 3 which seams just about right.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 5, 2021 00:18

I watched most of the Dubai show. I wonder if they are paying the Who for the jam out on Lick it Up. Straight, almost note for note rip off of the last part of Won't Get Fooled Again. They should get Guinness record for most money made with least amount of talent. I only saw them once (Love Gun tour) & was not impressed even at a young age. Cheap Trick opened & blew them away. Cheap Trick were touring to support In Color.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 6, 2021 03:57

More Hot Rocks
RollingFreak
GasLightStreet
RollingFreak
There has never been a band where fans are forced to defend the company line moreso than KISS. And I say that as a huge fan of them. But the way the band spins things, and then fans will run with that to stay on the right side of their idols is truly hysterical. I hope in the long run it works out for them. As for the band itself, I do still, however small the chances are now, hope for a respectful farewell to this once great band.

Its also even funnier the way fans act because of the way Paul Stanley acts. He was one of the best frontmen ever, and was maybe always a dick, but in the last 25 years showed he was a colossal one. All his stuff in the 90s about bands staying too late at the party, lip syncing isn't ever acceptable, and now they do it all. They just change the wording. SOME shouldn't stay too long at the party, but we still have it. The band will never cop to lip syncing but fans have now defended it as necessary and not all that bad. I applaud that they have tried to keep trucking, and if they quit when they said they were going to they wouldn't have gotten caught in a tangle of very funny past lines. KISS was never honest, and it reached a certain point where I feel it just seems so much harder to lie than just tell the truth. You're 70, who the hell even cares anymore?

Wow that's hilarious!

It is fun to bash KISS since they are the epitome of over the top ridiculous - and always have been. That was part of the charm. Which, really, should've never stopped. But the other stuff, eh, somehow they got signed - what garage band hasn't had at least one moment that something sounded good?

That's where the rub is it seems: big spectacle but no actual talent, hence the studio recordings (what are the chances it's not KISS but session musicians?) for their live sound.

They are very talented. Ace Frehley has influenced every guitar player that followed him, even if his skills were limited. And Paul and Gene were great songwriters. Maybe not writing the next Stairway to Heaven, but fun great rock songs that they did consistently for as long as all of their contemporaries.

When Dan Rather asked Gene Simmons to rate his songwriting between 1 and 10, Simmons said 5 or 6. So you take into account his big ego that equates to about a 2 or 3 which seams just about right.

Gene is surprisingly, not humble, but modest in his rankings. He doesn't rank himself as a good bass player either when his bass playing on 70s KISS stuff is great. Its like the one area he doesn't overinflate, and actually underinflates. Again, the band, each one of them, is pretty talented on their own and did some great things.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: January 6, 2021 07:17

crholmstrom
I watched most of the Dubai show. I wonder if they are paying the Who for the jam out on Lick it Up. Straight, almost note for note rip off of the last part of Won't Get Fooled Again. They should get Guinness record for most money made with least amount of talent. I only saw them once (Love Gun tour) & was not impressed even at a young age. Cheap Trick opened & blew them away. Cheap Trick were touring to support In Color.

It is Won't Get Fooled Again.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 6, 2021 07:32

KISS was playing the Won't Get Fooled Again piece during Lick It Up every night of the tour. Not sure what the reasoning for choosing that was.
I remember VH used to jam on Cream's I'm So Glad in concert.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 7, 2021 04:24

They've been playing Won't Get Fooled Again since I saw them in 2009. So probably even longer.

Date: January 7, 2021 09:48

RollingFreak
They've been playing Won't Get Fooled Again since I saw them in 2009. So probably even longer.

Yep.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 7, 2021 12:42

What a great song choice for a group that's been trying to make fools of their audience for years

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 7, 2021 20:01

Maybe The Stones should play their "Fool" songs more often.... eye rolling smiley

Date: January 7, 2021 22:01

Elmo Lewis
Maybe The Stones should play their "Fool" songs more often.... eye rolling smiley

Agreed. At least they played two of them on the No Filter-tour (Just Your Fool and Fool To Cry) smiling smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: January 7, 2021 22:17

Nikkei
What a great song choice for a group that's been trying to make fools of their audience for years

Exactly.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 8, 2021 01:28

Funny how the speaker of that line is looking downright presidential right about now.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 8, 2021 04:47

RollingFreak

And they keep fooling their fans! That's awesome.

Date: January 8, 2021 10:02

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak

And they keep fooling their fans! That's awesome.

At least, let's hope they play that segment live smiling smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 30, 2021 01:15

They had extra time at the Dubai gig and did a stinking off the cuff version of Strutter.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 26, 2021 02:12

KISS announced Australian shows today for this November and December. What are the odds these will happen?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 26, 2021 02:39

DGA35
KISS announced Australian shows today for this November and December. What are the odds these will happen?

Where is the Covid virus when we need it. Some bands don't need to play anymore.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 26, 2021 02:50

daspyknows
DGA35

Where is the Covid virus when we need it. Some bands don't need to play anymore.

Lol........thumbs up

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 26, 2021 04:05

Well, since it's all playback, they won't even have to show up!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2021 05:20

Thee odds are pretty high .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pjb ()
Date: February 26, 2021 05:40

No New Zealand dates? i know the cancelled show in 2019 had sold poor .Still got gunsnroses set for Oct .An Neil finns Crowded house touring next fortnight.

smiling smileyRe: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 26, 2021 19:35

daspyknows
DGA35

best post of he day

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: February 26, 2021 19:46

If you're taking KISS seriously you're completely missing the point.

Date: February 26, 2021 23:56

These shows are gonna be f***in AWESOME you Beautiful People(great Marilyn Manson by the way)!

Date: February 27, 2021 01:57

Advertiser --------- 27 February 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: February 27, 2021 09:10

Thanks for posting that article Rockman.

Date: February 27, 2021 09:41

....pleasure man .... anytime

ROCKMAN

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: February 27, 2021 10:04

that's what Rock'n'Roll attitude has become:
'..whatever the protocol is, and whatever the requirements are, we will meet them.' confused smiley

Date: February 27, 2021 10:19

And Rockman keep up the funny posts,really appreciate them particularly in the nightmare of lockdown in UK.Cheers !

Date: February 27, 2021 10:52

No worries star ..... i'll do what i can ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 14 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home