Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17
Re: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 3, 2019 22:03

Few days late reporting but here's my thoughts about opening night. Show was pretty much sold out, very diverse crowd as far as age goes. Lots of parents with their young kids, many had painted faces! No opening band, just a speed painter who was on for about 25 minutes. I only watched the last several minutes where he painted the four faces on a canvas probably 6 feet high and then afterwards, a local DJ came on and said the painting would be auctioned off on the radio the following day. Talked with an usher and show was supposed to start at 7:30 with the painter being on for about 20 minutes then KISS was supposed to start around 8:45 til 10:45. Painter was a bit late but fairly accurate as far as time goes.
Couldn't believe the huge lineups for merchandise. Short sleeve shirts were going for $60 Cdn and long sleeve $100 Cdn, $45 tour books. I can only imagine how much they made on the merch sales.
Before the concert, I noticed a number of people at the back of the floor taking pics where the sound engineers sit. I'm sure Shannon Tweed and family were sitting there as they have on previous tours.
Stage show was awesome, great light show, tons of pyro and lasers. This was the sixth time I've seen the band and by far the best stage. I'm sure there's lots of vids on Youtube showing the elaborate stage and Paul going up to the top of the lighting over center ice to sing Love Gun and I Was Made. Set list was pretty good, only one song I didn't know, the Yeah Yeah one. Overall, a good mixture for a career perspective. As far as the lip synching allegations, I'm sure they're true. Paul's voice was pretty good though and most had to be live since he mentioned Vancouver a number of times. I was joking that Paul says Let me hear you a lot throughout the show and Gene says I can't hear you a lot. Perhaps hearing loss!?
I was not impressed with Tommy Thayer's guitar playing. Seemed a bit sloppy and the sound was muddled. First encore of Beth with Eric Singer alone on stage playing piano with piped in symphony music. Not too sure if he was actually playing the piano since I wasn't too close to the stage. His voice sounds good for singing Black Diamond and Beth. Wish they would have played Hard Luck Woman, too.
My brother was at the show and also drove down to Tacoma last night. He also went on the KISS cruise last Halloween in Miami and was also down in Seattle a couple weeks ago for Ace Frehley. Concert was identical to Vancouver but his friend who went said Thayer's guitar sounded better. Overall a very energetic show, I can't believe they can still perform to this level at their age! Everyone I talked to loved the show.

Date: February 3, 2019 22:22

pauls stage banter is live. the singing is pretty much not, its already been compared side by side of several songs and its identical. there are in ear monitors giving the band click tracks and cues to come in and lip sync.

Date: February 3, 2019 22:34

keefriffhard4life
pauls stage banter is live. the singing is pretty much not, its already been compared side by side of several songs and its identical. there are in ear monitors giving the band click tracks and cues to come in and lip sync.

Hmm, I was paying particular attention to Paul's singing since I've read so many online reviews saying he can't sing anymore. I'll have to check some of the vids filmed close to the stage!

Date: February 3, 2019 22:47

DGA35
keefriffhard4life

Hmm, I was paying particular attention to Paul's singing since I've read so many online reviews saying he can't sing anymore. I'll have to check some of the vids filmed close to the stage!

they are all over youtube. some showing multiple nights and its identical

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 4, 2019 12:42

Saw them at the 02 in London and I was front row.No lip synching.Seems like the Kiss bashers are out and about.

Date: February 4, 2019 13:50

stargroover
Saw them at the 02 in London and I was front row.No lip synching.Seems like the Kiss bashers are out and about.

They just started lip syncing this tour

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: February 4, 2019 14:16

Yeah course they.

Date: February 4, 2019 15:04

stargroover
Yeah course they.

not sure what that means. I saw KISS in 2014 and clearly at least a majority of the lead vocals were live. bad, bum, out of tunes notes by paul all night. it is very clear from videos posted comparing multiple nights of this tour and the bands performance of the kiss cruise that paul is 100% lip syncing almost if not all of the concert. the kiss cruise there is footage showing his teleprompter and you can see the color in the scrolling words that are letting paul know when his mic is live and when its not so he can shout things to the audience . sometimes the words were white and other times red.

Date: February 4, 2019 15:17

keefriffhard4life
stargroover
Yeah course they.

not sure what that means. I saw KISS in 2014 and clearly at least a majority of the lead vocals were live. bad, bum, out of tunes notes by paul all night. it is very clear from videos posted comparing multiple nights of this tour and the bands performance of the kiss cruise that paul is 100% lip syncing almost if not all of the concert. the kiss cruise there is footage showing his teleprompter and you can see the color in the scrolling words that are letting paul know when his mic is live and when its not so he can shout things to the audience . sometimes the words were white and other times red.

That's sad. I thought he was pretty good in Oslo a couple of years ago, but maybe that was lip syncing, too sad smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 4, 2019 15:45

I think Paul prerecorded a bunch of vocals under optimum studio conditions (humidifier, lots of tea, etc.) so that it would sound age-appropriate. It would be foolish to pipe in live vocals from him 25 years ago in his prime.

Some of his vocals sound live and others...you can see him prematurely moving away from the mic and his voice is still coming out clear. I know there's a slight delay on the PA, but it looks suspicious.

There were some vids last year in Europe that were the worst I've ever heard him. He could barely croak his way through the songs. His voice was cracking constantly.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 4, 2019 15:51

This was the peak of all that was bad with Paul:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 4, 2019 15:54

RollingFreak

[www.youtube.com]
LOL, this is classic. Is this where Gene tells him to stop 'cuz he's gonna blow his voice out?

Date: February 4, 2019 15:56

keefriff99
RollingFreak

[www.youtube.com]
LOL, this is classic. Is this where Gene tells him to stop 'cuz he's gonna blow his voice out?
Yup haha. So awkward.

Another video recently where Gene tells the crowd at one of his solo shows "my voice always works. I don't lose my voice Paul Stanley." or something is also hysterical. Thats why its so funny Paul magically sounds good again. Its been a running joke for years he sounds bad. At 70 he didn't all of a sudden get his voice back.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-04 15:57 by RollingFreak.

Date: February 4, 2019 16:15

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
stargroover
Yeah course they.

That's sad. I thought he was pretty good in Oslo a couple of years ago, but maybe that was lip syncing, too sad smiley

that was more than likely live. prior to 2013 his good voice would come and go. that was from about 2008-2013. 2014 it was more miss than hit. after 2015 it was gone

Date: February 23, 2019 23:21

Had a little road trip today. Had a rental car. Sirius XM channel 30 KISS

Listened to it for 5 hours. What a great Rock and roll band and lots and lots of great songs.

I had forgotten

Date: February 24, 2019 08:39

One of my best friends who also lives near Vancouver happened to be down in New Orleans yesterday since he was going on a Caribbean cruise. KISS was playing so he texted asking if he should go. I said it's a great show and tickets were cheap down there. Afterwards, he said it was the best concert he's seen in ages.
One thing I noticed when he sent a pic of his ticket was it was very cheap, only $29 for an upper bowl seat and more importantly the service fee was only $3!
All concerts I go to in Vancouver that are through Live Nation/Ticketmaster charge a lot more than $3. For KISS, my lower bowl ticket was $99 and the service fee was $25.60. Bob Seger was $29.95, Pink was $27.75. These are Canadian amounts. Out of curiousity, how much are the fees for some major concerts in other cities?

Date: February 24, 2019 17:14

jumpontopofmebaby

Listened to it for 5 hours. What a great Rock and roll band and lots and lots of great songs.

I had forgotten

Thats the saddest thing. They are a GREAT band. I get the music is not for everyone, but they were a solid rock band. Great music, funny interesting lyrics. Their 70s material is basically all good IMO. Then there's a mixture of good and bad after that. But they are a really great BAND and never really get the credit for that. And in the last 20 years they've changed the narrative themselves so that that is not the focus which is dumb. Cause yeah, when you put em on shuffle for hours you remember its just fun great music. Now when I listen to it I just have to not think about what @#$%& the guys making it are. Although I've also always said, they are great, but those 70s albums its Ace Frehley that sets them apart. Without his guitar playing, they are just an average generic rock band. His solos and fills are the kick they need to be interesting IMO.

As for concert fees, I'm in the NY/NJ area so I'm probably not the best judge but EVERYTHING here has a service fee of no less than $20 usually.

Date: February 24, 2019 17:18

You know, I've seen some other videos recently where Paul sounds pretty much live. I don't really know WHAT'S going on...maybe he's just working night to night. If he feels good beforehand, he'll wing it, and if something goes wrong, he's got prerecorded vocals in the can as a backup.

Contrary to how I sound in this thread, I don't hate KISS by any stretch. Like jumpontopofmebaby said, they were a GREAT band. Lots of simple rock'n'roll songs, but catchy as hell, great riffs, choruses and basslines.

It's just all the bullshit, greed, endless drama, the creepy/gross Gene interviews, etc. that wear me down year after year.

Date: February 24, 2019 17:23

RollingFreak
jumpontopofmebaby

I had forgotten

Thats the saddest thing. They are a GREAT band. I get the music is not for everyone, but they were a solid rock band. Great music, funny interesting lyrics. Their 70s material is basically all good IMO. Then there's a mixture of good and bad after that. But they are a really great BAND and never really get the credit for that. And in the last 20 years they've changed the narrative themselves so that that is not the focus which is dumb. Cause yeah, when you put em on shuffle for hours you remember its just fun great music. Now when I listen to it I just have to not think about what @#$%& the guys making it are. Although I've also always said, they are great, but those 70s albums its Ace Frehley that sets them apart. Without his guitar playing, they are just an average generic rock band. His solos and fills are the kick they need to be interesting IMO.

As for concert fees, I'm in the NY/NJ area so I'm probably not the best judge but EVERYTHING here has a service fee of no less than $20 usually.
Ha, didn't even read your post...we pretty much said the exact same thing.

Date: February 24, 2019 17:24

The general consensus I feel I've heard is that he is live for a good portion of the show. He's got a backing track thats definitely there, but he's singing with it most of the night. And then there's only a few songs like I Was Made For Lovin' You where he's fully relying on it and not singing at all. I'd say he's probably actually singing 60% of the time and is lip syncing the other 40%. But that there's always a track ready just in case that is basically playing. Cause also, there's just no way he's doing 2 and 3 nights in a row and sounding good. Thats just NOT happening. So yeah, who the @#$%& knows whats really going on.

Date: February 24, 2019 17:47

keefriff99
RollingFreak
jumpontopofmebaby

I had forgotten

We're all fans. They are an underrated band but an overrated oddity and spectacle. What I just listened to the other day that I encourage others to listen to since they probably haven't is this live compilation that came out before the Reunion tour in 96 called You Wanted The Best You Got The Best. Its basically a compilation of songs from Alive I and II, BUT it also includes 4 previously unreleased live songs that are all EXCELLENT deep cuts and sound @#$%& awesome. I put it on the other day walking back from work and loved rocking out to it. Now thats some good old fashion rock and roll.

Room Service - [www.youtube.com]

Two Timer - [www.youtube.com]

Let Me Know - [www.youtube.com]

Take Me - [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 24, 2019 18:07

RollingFreak
keefriff99
RollingFreak
jumpontopofmebaby

I had forgotten

We're all fans. They are an underrated band but an overrated oddity and spectacle. What I just listened to the other day that I encourage others to listen to since they probably haven't is this live compilation that came out before the Reunion tour in 96 called You Wanted The Best You Got The Best. Its basically a compilation of songs from Alive I and II, BUT it also includes 4 previously unreleased live songs that are all EXCELLENT deep cuts and sound @#$%& awesome. I put it on the other day walking back from work and loved rocking out to it. Now thats some good old fashion rock and roll.

yeah "live songs". I believe 2 of those songs were never even played live by the band

Date: February 24, 2019 18:07

Thanks! I'll put these on my "Watch Later" and check them out....don't think I've ever heard them.

Date: February 24, 2019 18:14

keefriffhard4life
yeah "live songs". I believe 2 of those songs were never even played live by the band
Yeah, I know. Everything "live" KISS is pretty much an illusion. But they're still great songs and killer versions. And while I know its not live, but they were all played live back in the day.

Date: February 24, 2019 18:17

Ah, and right on cue, another "gross" Gene interview, haha:

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Hey, at least he's honest.

Date: February 24, 2019 19:51

RollingFreak
keefriff99
RollingFreak
jumpontopofmebaby

I had forgotten

You know, I HAD this album back in the '90s... I think I got through the old Columbia House mail-order CD scam they used to run.

I listened to some of it and ended up giving it to a friend of mine.

Date: February 24, 2019 20:15

RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life
Yeah, I know. Everything "live" KISS is pretty much an illusion. But they're still great songs and killer versions. And while I know its not live, but they were all played live back in the day.

oh ok. well all 4 songs were touched up live in the studio in the mid 90's and I think at least 1 of them is from a soundcheck to an empty venue

Date: February 25, 2019 01:45

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak
keefriffhard4life

oh ok. well all 4 songs were touched up live in the studio in the mid 90's and I think at least 1 of them is from a soundcheck to an empty venue

The vocals are 100% new on them. I'm not sure about the rest. The soundcheck thing was definitely true of a song or two on Alive II, I'm not sure about it here. I don't mean to defend them cause I'm certainly not a kiss ass for them, but there are levels with them and I don't mind doing it here. Alive is very much a studio creation, Alive II even moreso. I give Alive a pass because it is great and it also IS a true representation of their live shows at the time. Its constructed but it also accurately makes you feel what it was to be at that shows which just a straight live album probably wouldn't do. Its a lie, but to make a point so I'm cool with it. Their other live stuff like these 4 tracks in the 90s is just more of that to me. As long as it sounds good, I can live, they're still great songs.

And yes keefriff99, it was a fairly unnecessary record to have since its basically a compilation. But those unreleased tracks were surprisingly great, at least to me. It doesn't make the album worth it, but I did have to seek those songs out. Its basically Alive and Alive II outtakes, again probably completely constructed from a fantasy, but all of those songs were played live back in the day.

Date: February 25, 2019 03:22

i own all the kiss live releases so i certainly don't mind the touch up

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 25, 2019 04:48

I got a seat off a co-worker for the gig in Columbus on 16th March... seen 'em many times since Animalize in '84.

I remember reading a Paul quote back then where he said if you can't jam with just the guitar and an amp, the basics, then what's the point? I've always kept that in mind about them, and many others, and they always deliver in that regard. Straight-ahead Rock'n'Roll tunes with a big production to back them up.

Payin' a big price for the ticket, and I don't even know where exactly it is, but that's alright! I'll enjoy it, it could be the last Kiss gig for me. But if they do three years with this run, maybe Dayton will get another dose...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home