Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 17
Re: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 1, 2019 17:26

The set looks very similar to what they have been playing the last 2-3 years. If one is going to a 3 year farewell tour, you may want to change it up a bit from what you have already been doing. Really, nothing at all special about this tour at all. I live in Peoria (Halfway between St. Louis and Chicago) and I looked at ticket availability for the Midwest. Looks like most of the shows are a little more than 50% sold. Pretty steep ticket prices too. With The Who, Stones, Iron Maiden, and so many other solid bands touring kind of hard to compete when your just doing the same thing as last tour. Plus, with a three year tour, if you live in a big city like LA, NY, or Chicago wouldn't you just wait to year 3 to see them on the final stop of the tour?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 1, 2019 18:36

keefriff99
Here's some footage from opening night...

Detroit Rock City

Lick It Up

Do You Love Me?

Rock'n'Roll All Nite

01. Detroit Rock City
02. Shout It Out Loud
03. Deuce
04. Say Yeah
05. Heaven's On Fire
06. War Machine
07. Lick It Up
08. 100,000 Years
09. God Of Thunder
10. Cold Gin
11. Psycho Circus
12. I Love It Loud
13. Hide Your Heart
14. Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
15. Love Gun
16. I Was Made For Lovin' You
17. Black Diamond

Encore:

18. Beth
19. Do You Love Me
20. Rock And Roll All Nite

Yes, numbers 4-13 take a serious dip, IMHO.

I like most fans like the stuff up through Love Gun best.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 1, 2019 18:42

They never beat their 96 reunion setlist. It was basically perfect:

1. Deuce
2. King of the Night Time World
3. Do You Love Me
4. Calling Dr. Love
5. Cold Gin
6. I Stole Your Love
7. Shout It Out Loud
8. Watchin' You
9. Firehouse
10. Shock Me (with guitar solo and rockets and smoke)
11. Strutter
12. Rock Bottom
13. God of Thunder (with bass and drum solo and spitting blood and flying)
14. New York Groove
15. Love Gun
16. 100,000 Years
17. Black Diamond

Encore:
18. Detroit Rock City
19. Beth
20. Rock and Roll All Nite

Date: February 1, 2019 18:48

Elmo Lewis
keefriff99
Here's some footage from opening night...

Detroit Rock City

Lick It Up

Do You Love Me?

Rock'n'Roll All Nite

01. Detroit Rock City
02. Shout It Out Loud
03. Deuce
04. Say Yeah
05. Heaven's On Fire
06. War Machine
07. Lick It Up
08. 100,000 Years
09. God Of Thunder
10. Cold Gin
11. Psycho Circus
12. I Love It Loud
13. Hide Your Heart
14. Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll
15. Love Gun
16. I Was Made For Lovin' You
17. Black Diamond

Encore:

18. Beth
19. Do You Love Me
20. Rock And Roll All Nite

Yes, numbers 4-13 take a serious dip, IMHO.

I like most fans like the stuff up through Love Gun best.

Cold Gin makes a good dip, though...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 1, 2019 18:54

Did Simmons ever get better at playing the bass after all these years?

Date: February 1, 2019 19:09

More Hot Rocks
Did Simmons ever get better at playing the bass after all these years?

I always loved Gene's bass playing. I love shitting on KISS as much as the next guy, but as much as he talks up everything, I've never heard him actually praise his own bass playing. Its the one thing he should talk up. He's nothing amazing, but he's solid, has great tone and works for their music. I've always defended his bass playing. Listen to the album, he's got a great groove.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 1, 2019 19:54

Gene is a damn solid bassist. He studied Paul McCartney and it shows. He comes up with simple, effective, melodic lines.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 1, 2019 20:06

RollingFreak
They never beat their 96 reunion setlist. It was basically perfect:

1. Deuce
2. King of the Night Time World
3. Do You Love Me
4. Calling Dr. Love
5. Cold Gin
6. I Stole Your Love
7. Shout It Out Loud
8. Watchin' You
9. Firehouse
10. Shock Me (with guitar solo and rockets and smoke)
11. Strutter
12. Rock Bottom
13. God of Thunder (with bass and drum solo and spitting blood and flying)
14. New York Groove
15. Love Gun
16. 100,000 Years
17. Black Diamond

Encore:
18. Detroit Rock City
19. Beth
20. Rock and Roll All Nite

Yes, very good setlist

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: February 1, 2019 22:39

I watched the entire show on persicope last night. The stage was really amazing - bar far the best thing they've done.

Not sure it offsets the weak setlist, Paul's voice, and the 2 fake members, but for the right price, the spectacle may be worth it.

Low point of the show was Eric Singer singing Beth while seated (not sure if he was really playing) at a grand piano. It was just wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 22:42 by Kennedy.

Date: February 1, 2019 22:42

Pretty sure I saw evidence of a backing vocal track for Paul too. There is a quite a bit of evidence proving some degree of lip synching on YouTube recently, and it appears to be true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 22:43 by Kennedy.

Date: February 2, 2019 00:24

Kennedy
Pretty sure I saw evidence of a backing vocal track for Paul too. There is a quite a bit of evidence proving some degree of lip synching on YouTube recently, and it appears to be true.
Eddie Trunk talks about this a lot. It's difficult to say so much backing track is being utilized. There are times when Paul's voice is obviously live simply due to the fact that it's so ragged and hoarse.

They probably use some type of vocal blending algorithm using pre-recorded vocals to make them "less bad" (especially at higher pitches), but they can only do so much.

Date: February 2, 2019 03:19

keefriff99
Kennedy
Eddie Trunk talks about this a lot. It's difficult to say so much backing track is being utilized. There are times when Paul's voice is obviously live simply due to the fact that it's so ragged and hoarse.

They probably use some type of vocal blending algorithm using pre-recorded vocals to make them "less bad" (especially at higher pitches), but they can only do so much.

Yeah, there is definitely some of that going on. However, the examples posted online as well as what I swear I saw during the periscope was blatant singing but Paul was not at the mic.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: February 2, 2019 03:58

How was David Garibaldi, the live action painter who opened?

Date: February 2, 2019 04:46

Well said. "Watching You" was the highlight. I'll never forget it.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Date: February 2, 2019 04:47

I saw Ace Frehley in concert for first time two months ago. It was a ball! Great show and I loved the non-Kiss songs. Gene is just a capitalist thug. I do like Paul quite a bit. It's sad to see the band become a caricature of its one great self.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Date: February 2, 2019 07:20

Paul is lip syncing. Maybe not all the time, but its really incredible considering how much of a dick he is about other bands that then he pulls that shit and won't even cop to it. Attack everyone else, but when you're caught deflect deflect deflect. Its always been the worst quality about KISS. His book where literally every mistake in his life is never blamed on HIMSELF is very telling.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 2, 2019 14:56

Eric Singer doing Beth is just like Mick Taylor singing Before they make me run.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: February 2, 2019 16:07

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 16:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 2, 2019 22:27

Detroit Rock City and Shout It Out Loud, Portland

LOL, just watch this video from last night in Portland...it's front-row, and the evidence of lip-syncing is all over the damn place.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 3, 2019 00:35

Final tour and no "Firehouse". WTF.

Five adjustments would make this a much superior setlist:

1. Ditch "Say Yeah" and do "Firehouse"
2. Ditch "Psycho Circus"and do "Calling Dr. Love"
3. Ditch "War Machine" and do "Creatures Of the Night"
4. Ditch "Hide Your Heart" and do "King of the Night Time World"
5. Ditch "100,000 Years" and do "Strutter"

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 3, 2019 01:24

SonicDreamer
Final tour and no "Firehouse". WTF.

Five adjustments would make this a much superior setlist:

1. Ditch "Say Yeah" and do "Firehouse"
2. Ditch "Psycho Circus"and do "Calling Dr. Love"
3. Ditch "War Machine" and do "Creatures Of the Night"
4. Ditch "Hide Your Heart" and do "King of the Night Time World"
5. Ditch "100,000 Years" and do "Strutter"

Cheers,
SonicD

They should just do "Black Diamond" 18 times & then encore with "Detroit Rock City" & "Rock n Roll All Night". & just to make it good, use the Replacements version of "Black Diamond" on the tapes they are lip synching to. That way there would be a great band playing the song, at least on tape. I saw the Love Gun tour with a largely unknown band called Cheap Trick opening for their In Colour record. This was when I was in high school & even back then I just knew that Cheap Trick were way better even without the spectacle. Not a fan & don't get it. To each his own though. I mean, they are charging top dollar for a 2 hour show with no opening band. More tapes for the opener, EDM at that. Pass.

Date: February 3, 2019 02:20

My perfect KISS setlist would be:

1. Deuce
2. King Of The Night Time World
3. Room Service
4. Firehouse
5. Calling Dr. Love
6. Nothin' To Lose
7. C'mon And Love Me
8. Lick It Up
9. Shock Me
10. Christine Sixteen
11. Comin' Home (semi-unplugged)
12. Hard Luck Women (semi-unplugged)
13. Take It Off
14. Tomorrow And Tonight
15. I Want You
16. Hell Or Hallelujah (great new song and something recent)
17. Beth
18. God Of Thunder
19. Love Gun
20. Black Diamond

ENCORE: (side 4 of Alive with Detroit in for Rock Bottom)
21. Detroit Rock City
22. Cold Gin
23. Rock And Roll All Nite
24. Let Me Go, Rock N Roll

I'd pay good money to see even this pathetic excuse of KISS playing that set. Lip syncing and all. But to see what they do every year? Thats even more pathetic.

Date: February 3, 2019 02:24

keefriff99
Detroit Rock City and Shout It Out Loud, Portland

LOL, just watch this video from last night in Portland...it's front-row, and the evidence of lip-syncing is all over the damn place.

Its so beyond embarrassing he thinks people are buying it. I guess many are, but nothing with this country surprises me anymore. As a fan though, it really is so sad. He was once an excellent singer. When he asks for some noise two minutes in, which ARE real vocals, he barely has ANY voice. Its a new low which KISS always manages to hit when you think they can't get any lower.

Date: February 3, 2019 02:44

Paul really was an AMAZING singer. He had a great range and a genuine charisma to his voice.

The comments section on the video I posted are mostly fans shouting down people pointing out the lip-syncing, saying all big bands do it and that they had a great time regardless.

Hey, if people are happy, then so be it. When I saw The Wall tour in 2012, it occurred to me that Roger was completely lip-syncing, but the spectacle of that show made up for it. Don't think you can say the same for KISS...their stage is cool, but not THAT cool.

Date: February 3, 2019 08:06

KISS fans would have called out lip syncing on any band for the last 20 years, but now that its happening to them its the norm, no big deal. Their fans are bred out of the people they idolize.

No one can take away what they were, but yeah the downward slope has been very sad to see. First no Ace and Peter after the "supposed" farewell 20 years ago. Then dressing people up as Ace and Peter. Then saying there will essentially be a sanctioned KISS tribute band without Paul and Gene someday (such a dumb idea). Now going out with another "Farewell tour" where Paul can't even sing the songs. I don't know how you defend it, but god damn their fans certainly do.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: February 3, 2019 08:35

bye Kiss!
coming out of retirement of saying goobye to Kiss for one last bye Kiss

Date: February 3, 2019 15:07

RollingFreak
My perfect KISS setlist would be:

1. Deuce
2. King Of The Night Time World
3. Room Service
4. Firehouse
5. Calling Dr. Love
6. Nothin' To Lose
7. C'mon And Love Me
8. Lick It Up
9. Shock Me
10. Christine Sixteen
11. Comin' Home (semi-unplugged)
12. Hard Luck Women (semi-unplugged)
13. Take It Off
14. Tomorrow And Tonight
15. I Want You
16. Hell Or Hallelujah (great new song and something recent)
17. Beth
18. God Of Thunder
19. Love Gun
20. Black Diamond

ENCORE: (side 4 of Alive with Detroit in for Rock Bottom)
21. Detroit Rock City
22. Cold Gin
23. Rock And Roll All Nite
24. Let Me Go, Rock N Roll

I'd pay good money to see even this pathetic excuse of KISS playing that set. Lip syncing and all. But to see what they do every year? Thats even more pathetic.

that's pretty dang good. I'd make some changes on a few tunes but I like that setlist

Date: February 3, 2019 15:13

keefriff99
Paul really was an AMAZING singer. He had a great range and a genuine charisma to his voice.

The comments section on the video I posted are mostly fans shouting down people pointing out the lip-syncing, saying all big bands do it and that they had a great time regardless.

Hey, if people are happy, then so be it. When I saw The Wall tour in 2012, it occurred to me that Roger was completely lip-syncing, but the spectacle of that show made up for it. Don't think you can say the same for KISS...their stage is cool, but not THAT cool.

until about 2010 he was a fantastic singer. around 2008 his voice started to lose some steam and by 2010 is was gone. no shame being about 60 and your voice goes. he played a million gigs and sang in a very high register. it was bound to get him eventually. very few singers who sang near the top end of their register that long can maintain it that long. dio was a rare one. glenn hughes is doing well. joe lynn turner is another. I'd like to see how tony harnell and Michael sweet do in 5-6 years when they are 60

Date: February 3, 2019 15:53

Dio, Glenn Hughes, Sammy Hagar, and Steven Tyler are who I think of when it comes to hard rockers still being able to deliver the goods in your 60s and even 70s.

Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson are kicking ass as well, although Bruce can sound a little strained sometimes.

I have a lot of sympathy for singers who lose their voices simply due to age. It's really gotta be frustrating and depressing. It's not like playing an instrument (although things like arthritis can take a toll on that)...your BODY is your instrument, and it starts failing you.

But what gets me is Paul's arrogance and constant putting down of ex-members as if he's infallible. I know he has spoken somewhat honestly about his voice in recent interviews, but he still acts like he's above everyone else. I guess that's the false bravado you come to expect from KISS, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Date: February 3, 2019 16:32

keefriff99
Dio, Glenn Hughes, Sammy Hagar, and Steven Tyler are who I think of when it comes to hard rockers still being able to deliver the goods in your 60s and even 70s.

Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson are kicking ass as well, although Bruce can sound a little strained sometimes.

I have a lot of sympathy for singers who lose their voices simply due to age. It's really gotta be frustrating and depressing. It's not like playing an instrument (although things like arthritis can take a toll on that)...your BODY is your instrument, and it starts failing you.

But what gets me is Paul's arrogance and constant putting down of ex-members as if he's infallible. I know he has spoken somewhat honestly about his voice in recent interviews, but he still acts like he's above everyone else. I guess that's the false bravado you come to expect from KISS, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

i forgot hagar and tyler still sound great. both have clearly lost some power and range. halford in his high register is very think now and yes bruce sounds strained. all 4 of them still have a lot of power in the lower and mid register . paul Stanley really has nothing left in any register

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home