Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17
Re: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 15, 2018 15:14

Stanley spoke about his vocal issues during a brand new interview with Australia's Herald Sun, saying: "If anyone wants to hear me sound like I did on (1975's) 'Kiss Alive!', then put on 'Kiss Alive!' It would be absurd. Of course your voice changes. Any athlete's body changes. Any singer's voice changes. The naysayers and the scrooges will find the video of you falling on your ass, that's the one they'll post. But when you're playing to between 20,000 to 60,000 fans a night and beginning and ending a show with an audience going crazy, I'm not really that concerned with the sceptics.

"I'm in the same boat a lot of people are," he added. "I see singers around my age and we talk about it. The difference could be many bands have a singer where you go, 'Well, he sounds really good,' but so does the keyboard player singing along with him. Or the person singing off stage. KISS have never done that.

"I understand there's people who tend to spout negativity, but they're in the vast, vast, vast minority. I will do everything in my power and I know that I will sound great on this tour. That is not delusional. I don't look the same as I did at the beginning of the band, nobody looks the same today as they did decades ago, but it's all about degree. But there are realities, of course."

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2018 15:22

God he is delusional grinning smiley .

You gotta love KISS for their stock answers. He's been using that "Alive" comment for awhile now. Also, look the same? Dude, you wear makeup. You DO look the same. Thats the whole point of your band. He's not wrong about a few things but he's also so completely bias and egotistical about the whole thing that it evens out. Paul Stanley and KISS would defend that the earth is flat if their ticket sales depended on it. They also flip flop like the wind. So I love ya Paul, but its hard to take anything you say seriously.

Also, Gene has called him out on the vocals and when GENE calls you out on the vocals you KNOW you sound pretty bad. Just man up dude. Unfortunately, his vocals aren't even the worst part of the show to me.

Date: November 15, 2018 15:26

RollingFreak

You gotta love KISS for their stock answers. He's been using that "Alive" comment for awhile now. Also, look the same? Dude, you wear makeup. You DO look the same. Thats the whole point of your band. He's not wrong about a few things but he's also so completely bias and egotistical about the whole thing that it evens out. Paul Stanley and KISS would defend that the earth is flat if their ticket sales depended on it. They also flip flop like the wind. So I love ya Paul, but its hard to take anything you say seriously.

Also, Gene has called him out on the vocals and when GENE calls you out on the vocals you KNOW you sound pretty bad. Just man up dude. Unfortunately, his vocals aren't even the worst part of the show to me.

LOL! grinning smiley

Date: November 15, 2018 15:54

RollingFreak

I've gotta say that Stanley must work REALLY hard to stay fit. He's almost 70 and he still looks good in a stage outfit that could be REALLY unflattering, which is quite an achievement.

There's a LITTLE sagging and extra skin, but overall, he keeps himself in great shape. I'll give him that if nothing else.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 15, 2018 16:07

You can't take KISS seriously. They're like the circus coming to town - just crazy fun.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 15, 2018 16:14

rbk
You can't take KISS seriously. They're like the circus coming to town - just crazy fun.

Yep! Same could be said for another band too.........spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: November 15, 2018 16:19

Elmo Lewis
rbk

Yep! Same could be said for another band too.........spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I'm far from a blind Stones fanboy, but you can't put them in the same category.

Date: November 15, 2018 16:27

they are pathetic

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 15, 2018 16:47

From the high school year book quote: "Kiss isn't dead, they are sleeping."smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 15, 2018 19:05

RollingFreak

Out of curiosity what would be the worst part of the show ? Maybe no Ace ?

Date: November 15, 2018 19:45

TheGreek
RollingFreak

By today's standards the childish stageshow to me is the worst. I like KISS for their music, funny as that may be, but I get that a stageshow has always been part of their act and usually it does enhance things. When I saw them 10 years ago I was shocked by how they thought their pyro and effects didn't look so tacky compared to what bands do today. I get for 1975 this was probably pretty cool but update with the times guys. It made an already pretty bad show just laughable. They need to up their game in that department or lose it altogether.

Yes, not necessarily Ace and Peter not being there but dressing people up as them is so dumb and always has been. Have their be their own characters, have them be themselves, but its beyond retarded to watch Tommy Thayer up there playing Shock Me and doing literally Ace's solo and effects from 1978 up there. Come up with your own thing dude. At the very least GNR had the smart thinking to have each guitarist come up with their own solo spot. They weren't playing Slash's Godfather solo. Its beyond stupid.

I guess yes, Paul's voice is third to me. Or that all three of those are equally bad elements of the show.

Date: November 16, 2018 02:24

All the twitter comments are BRUTAL about Paul's "I know that I will sound great" quote. Even on KISS fan twitter accounts, which you'd think are followed by rabid KISS fans. Mostly one of two comments: "yeah, you'll sound good cause it'll be a backing track" or "no Ace, no Peter, not going." I truly don't see how they get through this tour without adding Ace. There's literally no driving factor to be there in its current form. And even adding Ace isn't akin to the Stones adding Mick Taylor. That made me HAVE to see the Stones one more time. All KISS fans that even want Ace have seen him enough solo, Taylor never toured. There's very much a hate watch feeling to this tour that I kinda can't wait for, which is so sad for a band I truly liked for so long.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 16, 2018 11:51

RollingFreak
... a band I truly liked for so long.

Haha, that made me chuckle!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 16, 2018 13:40

foo fighters had a kiss style elevating drum kit this year.it was kind of dumb. not to mention the drum solo that went with it! confused smiley

Date: November 16, 2018 14:21

RollingFreak
TheGreek
RollingFreak

By today's standards the childish stageshow to me is the worst. I like KISS for their music, funny as that may be, but I get that a stageshow has always been part of their act and usually it does enhance things. When I saw them 10 years ago I was shocked by how they thought their pyro and effects didn't look so tacky compared to what bands do today. I get for 1975 this was probably pretty cool but update with the times guys. It made an already pretty bad show just laughable. They need to up their game in that department or lose it altogether.

Yes, not necessarily Ace and Peter not being there but dressing people up as them is so dumb and always has been. Have their be their own characters, have them be themselves, but its beyond retarded to watch Tommy Thayer up there playing Shock Me and doing literally Ace's solo and effects from 1978 up there. Come up with your own thing dude. At the very least GNR had the smart thinking to have each guitarist come up with their own solo spot. They weren't playing Slash's Godfather solo. Its beyond stupid.

I guess yes, Paul's voice is third to me. Or that all three of those are equally bad elements of the show.
I have seen the Ace less KISS twice (03 and the 35th anniversary at the Garden ) Then I seen Ace solo and my friend said to me do you want to see KISS again without Ace ? NO . So in 2009 for the 35th it was a nice show but Paul's voice was shot . I enjoyed the spectacle of it , but it was not the same without Ace .Ace is a show all by himself and all of his tricks and effects , but he really blazes up and down the fretboard which is a Pyro show all by himself . After his smoke and fire coming out of his pickup during his solo spot on Shock Me he says to the crowd "Still smoking after 40 years " which I thought was pretty cool . What I don't like is the fake out by Gene and Paul, that they have KISSED and made up with Ace but is it Tommy who is going to play guitar ? Which is what I think , so it's like Ace is being used as a decoy to sell tickets for the next final Farewell tour ! Which I think anything is possibile with Gene and Paul to pull Ace out and on stage . So the question for me is do I want to spend $ and buy tickets to show without Ace ? or will he be there and that is the fake out money grab which is a matter of fact nowadays !

Date: November 16, 2018 17:20

I too was at that Garden 35 show. That was what left me so disappointed. I didn't want to see them without Ace but my friend really wanted to and I went with a positive attitude. And it was just so pathetic. They didn't even seem like they wanted to be there and this was a hometown show! The stage show spectacle was completely unremarkable to me and the setlist on paper is great but just felt plodding and perfunctory live. I was trying to leave upset but I couldn't help it. I thought Buckcherry opening blew them off the stage. I cracked up when Paul said "we're gonna do the longest encore ever!" and did like 15 minutes. Its crap like that that KISS does that its like "why even bother saying something like that? We're not morons."

I saw Ace 6 months later solo for a 10th of the price and it was 10 times the show. He played everything and sounded fantastic. To me, what set KISS apart was always Ace's guitar, but I liked it with other guys. But Ace was a huge part of what made them unique, as much as Gene and Paul want to downplay it. They had good songs but Ace's solos is what made them stand out. I don't think thats overstating it. I can't imagine seeing them even with Ace. I've heard him do all the stuff and him being up there with a bad Paul doesn't seem worth it. At least with the Stones invite Taylor you know the Stones will ALSO be top notch. I just couldn't picture seeing this tour unless it was done the right way, with love, honoring their actual history, but KISS is always a cash grab. Personally, and to each their own, I can't imagine anyone that saw the Garden 09 actually wanting to see KISS again.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 16, 2018 17:20

I've never understood the whining about KISS in the original line up.They were marginally talented and only wrote so-so songs too. I'm old enough to have scene them numerous times in the mid-'70s. They were the same then as now except now they have even more lights and pyro.

Date: November 16, 2018 19:34

rbk
I've never understood the whining about KISS in the original line up.They were marginally talented and only wrote so-so songs too. I'm old enough to have scene them numerous times in the mid-'70s. They were the same then as now except now they have even more lights and pyro.

Its a thing. Either you get it or you don't. I am a big fan of that original lineup and they stuck out in a time when it was hard to do that. I give them all the credit in the world for it. I'd never say they were Beatles or Stones level talented, thats silly. But they worked well for them and gelled together beautiful. Paul and Gene know how to write a fun catchy song. They are a way lesser Lennon/McCartney but its a partnership that just works. Ace Frehley is a very limited guitarist, but one who made what he does very uniquely go quite far and was an inspriation to countless guitar players after him. Peter Criss was a great drummer from them in the same vein as Charlie Watts (again, a very lesser Charlie Watts) in that he was more of a jazz drummer but he provided just the right swing for their music.

Separately, they are nothing special. Together, it makes a cool noise. Again, nothing groundbreaking, but it works, and what they lacked in inventiveness they made up for in spectacle, which set them apart and made them memorable. I'm not gonna argue they are some amazing band, but they played the game smart and right and legitimately had great music to go along with it. I firmly believe they belong in the rock and roll hall of fame for those reasons. They made their own rules and became a household name on their own terms. Most don't do that, even if you're not a fan.

Thats the fuss about the original lineup. Their other lineups were also fairly solid, but the ones that did the heavy lifting are the originals. Obviously thats a biased fans perspective, but I've always thought you don't have to like their music but you have to give them credit for the fact that everyone knows who KISS is. But hey, I get that they aren't everyone's cup of tea. I think your description of them though is personally unfair and shortsighted, but again, thats what makes horse races.

Date: January 30, 2019 14:06

Ace is pissed, and wants his job back.

The gloves are off!

His response to Gene’s Post Today (from his Facebook page):

«Gene, your memory is really incorrect!…I was NEVER FIRED from KISS, I quit twice (not 3-times) of my own free will, because you and Paul are control freaks, untrustworthy and were too difficult to work with!

…Your slanderous remarks about my bad habits over the years has cost me millions of dollars and now that I’m over 12-years sober you're still saying I can’t be trusted to play a whole nights show! Well that’s exactly what I’ve been doing for the last 12-years with different configurations of “The Ace Frehley Band” to you and Paul’s dismay!

…I’m also the most successful solo artist to come out of the original KISS lineup , and proud of it!…You and Paul have tried to derail my solo career multiple times over the years unsuccessfully.

…I’ve tried to be nice and friendly by inviting you and Paul to perform on my past albums for eOne Music, give each of you guys one of my prized Gibson Les Paul 59’ models, but today’s comments have made me realize you’re just an @#$%& and a sex addict who’s being sued by multiple Women, and you’re just trying to sweep it all under the carpet!

…The icing on the cake was when you groped my wife and propositioned her in Los Angeles at the Capitol Records building behind my back, when I was trying to help you out at one of your “Vault Experiences” which I only found out about several weeks later…she was planning on pursuing a suit against you, but I told her to call it off!!!

…Well now the gloves are off after your terrible comments today and I’m thinking that this really may be “The End Of The Road Tour” for you guys!!!

….Without a complete and heartfelt apology, an offer to give me my old job back, and removing Tommy from the Throne that I created… THE SHIT WILL HIT THE FAN AND THEY’LL BE NO STOPPING IT-IT’S ON»!!!

Date: January 30, 2019 15:16

Well, so much for that!

I really thought that Ace, at the very least, would work something out to make guest appearances on the "farewell" tour.

Paul and Gene CONSTANTLY bring up Peter and Ace's history with drug abuse and being fired in interviews like it's nothing, and I always wondered how they could stand having their names casually dragged through the mud like that repeatedly over the years...well, I guess Ace finally hit his breaking point.

The sad thing is Gene and Paul will laugh his tirade off, probably mock him some more in the media, and then go on to make millions off this charade of a tour.

Date: January 30, 2019 15:21

keefriff99
Well, so much for that!

I really thought that Ace, at the very least, would work something out to make guest appearances on the "farewell" tour.

Paul and Gene CONSTANTLY bring up Peter and Ace's history with drug abuse and being fired in interviews like it's nothing, and I always wondered how they could stand having their names casually dragged through the mud like that repeatedly over the years...well, I guess Ace finally hit his breaking point.

The sad thing is Gene and Paul will laugh his tirade off, probably mock him some more in the media, and then go on to make millions off this charade of a tour.

whats funny is when they are on good terms with ace they say he quit, which he actually did. when they are on the outs they say he was fired, which he never was

Date: January 30, 2019 15:45

Haha good look selling your tour morons. He'll still make a guest appearance I'm sure, but thats not really the press you want when your tour's already not selling well. I hope this tour falls on its face.

Date: January 30, 2019 15:52

RollingFreak
Haha good look selling your tour morons. He'll still make a guest appearance I'm sure, but thats not really the press you want when your tour's already not selling well. I hope this tour falls on its face.

Maybe that's exactly the kind of press they want?

Date: January 30, 2019 15:57

I get what you mean that you just want ANY press, but when the tour has pretty much hinged on them promising at least Ace, THIS is not the press you want. Sure people will know KISS is on tour, but the second you read the headline "Ace not joining" thats all people need to know. Seems like a dumb move. Literally the entire lead up to the tour has been "don't rule Ace out. See, we're playing an acoustic set with him." Thats all clearly calculated so then this just seems like the weirdest backtrack, when they hold no aces (no pun intended) up their sleeve.

Date: January 30, 2019 15:59

RollingFreak
I get what you mean that you just want ANY press, but when the tour has pretty much hinged on them promising at least Ace, THIS is not the press you want. Sure people will know KISS is on tour, but the second you read the headline "Ace not joining" thats all people need to know. Seems like a dumb move. Literally the entire lead up to the tour has been "don't rule Ace out. See, we're playing an acoustic set with him." Thats all clearly calculated so then this just seems like the weirdest backtrack, when they hold no aces (no pun intended) up their sleeve.

If this «conflict» is staged, and they get another story later: «They kissed and made up», they will probably fill the arenas.

These guys are cynical enough to pull a stunt like that, imo. Let's wait and see...

Date: January 30, 2019 16:34

This doesn't feel staged, but who knows? KISS isn't beneath pulling anything.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: January 30, 2019 18:31

Saw KISS in '96 and '97 on the Reunion tour and again in 2000 on the "Farewell" tour all three shows with the original four. I closed the books on KISS in 2000. I'd much rather see Iron Maiden tear it up still then listen to Paul Stanley recite the same stage banter from 1975.

Date: January 30, 2019 18:41

TumblinDice76
Saw KISS in '96 and '97 on the Reunion tour and again in 2000 on the "Farewell" tour all three shows with the original four. I closed the books on KISS in 2000. I'd much rather see Iron Maiden tear it up still then listen to Paul Stanley recite the same stage banter from 1975.
Maiden still put on an incredible show. Those guys are ageless...just amazing.

Date: January 30, 2019 18:48

Also don't forget that Paul Stanley's voice is shot and no Ace -to means why bother

Date: January 30, 2019 18:49

TheGreek
Also don't forget that Paul Stanley's voice is shot and no Ace -to means why bother
Gotta love how Gene and Paul constantly say everyone in the band needs to be at the top of their game when Paul can't sing for shit anymore. What a @#$%& joke.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home