Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17
Re: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Date: September 22, 2018 14:53

Midnight Toker
Bye Bye.The only band I can think of that overdubbed a live album
because the musicianship was so bad.

yes they are the only ones ever who did that "eye roll"

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 22, 2018 15:06

Midnight Toker
Lol hilariously uninformed and just looking to get a rise. They overdubbed it so that it sounded like you were actually at the concert. And it worked brilliantly. Actually one of the smarter decisions they ever did.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 22, 2018 15:33

Paint up Kenny Aronoff and Derek Trucks as Peter and Ace and rock on.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2018 18:26

I wonder how much they'll charge for the pre-show "meet and greet"...

5K? 10K? More?

confused smileyRe: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 22, 2018 23:16

keefriff99
They said the farewell will take closer to three years, and will visit every continent.

Paul's voice is completely shot, so it'll be interesting to see how he survives this trek.

Sounds like Elton John's 3 years lasting farewell tour confused smiley. Three years??? One could think they want to give themselves a change to finally collapse on stage some where on the road. Aren't KISS the band with the most farewell tours so far?

Re: confused smileyRe: OT: KISS announce (another) farewell tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2018 23:23

georgie48
keefriff99
They said the farewell will take closer to three years, and will visit every continent.

Paul's voice is completely shot, so it'll be interesting to see how he survives this trek.

Sounds like Elton John's 3 years lasting farewell tour confused smiley. Three years??? One could think they want to give themselves a change to finally collapse on stage some where on the road. Aren't KISS the band with the most farewell tours so far?
Well Metallica already technically played Antarctica so they can’t lay claim to that distinction. I'm sure that burns Gene up.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 23, 2018 09:48

I was a huge Kiss concert fan in the 70s. I went to nearly every concert in NC during those years. I never bought the albums as that was left up to my best mate, but we hit every damn show possible. I still have vivid memories of a show at Dorton Arena, Raleigh. Some wild-eyed frizzy haired hippie got up on his friend's shoulders during the song when Gene spits fire. He took a swig of lighter fluid, pulled out a Bic and proceeded to spew fire. He didn't take account of the huge fans on stage which proceeded to blow said fire back to him. His frizzy hair went up like a blow torch while the whole arena cheered him on. Gene Simmons saw it, pointed at him, and gave a thumbs up lol....what great times smileys with beer

The guy seemed to be ok. He went from a frizzy fro to stubble.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 23, 2018 17:45

StonedAsia
I was a huge Kiss concert fan in the 70s. I went to nearly every concert in NC during those years. I never bought the albums as that was left up to my best mate, but we hit every damn show possible. I still have vivid memories of a show at Dorton Arena, Raleigh. Some wild-eyed frizzy haired hippie got up on his friend's shoulders during the song when Gene spits fire. He took a swig of lighter fluid, pulled out a Bic and proceeded to spew fire. He didn't take account of the huge fans on stage which proceeded to blow said fire back to him. His frizzy hair went up like a blow torch while the whole arena cheered him on. Gene Simmons saw it, pointed at him, and gave a thumbs up lol....what great times smileys with beer

The guy seemed to be ok. He went from a frizzy fro to stubble.

All of us were fans. When they didn't tour, a quote from my high school year book: "Kiss isn't dead, they are sleeping".

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2018 19:28

The closest I came to being a fan of Kiss was when I was a 12 yr.old in 7th grade. For those of us who got into minor trouble - ditching class, smoking cigarettes, etc., there was a detention room set up after school where we had to go to for an hour or two to make up work and correct our evil ways. Aside from being forced to stay late after school, it was more of a clubhouse for rebels and delinquents than any sort of punishment. They actually had a crappy record player in there with a stack of crappy albums to play, and the only real rock album was Kiss Live. Must have heard it a hundred times! A year or so later, there was this creepy kid/Kiss fanatic who walked around campus with his cassette player playing ONLY Kiss! I recall hearing Detroit Rock City and the rest of the Destroyer album and it was actually all pretty good, but not something I ever bought or wanted in my own collection. When I hear those early tunes now (which is very rare), they take me right back to those rebellious Jr. High school days.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 23, 2018 19:57

Hairball
The closest I came to being a fan of Kiss was when I was a 12 yr.old in 7th grade. For those of us who got into minor trouble - ditching class, smoking cigarettes, etc., there was a detention room set up after school where we had to go to for an hour or two to make up work and correct our evil ways. Aside from being forced to stay late after school, it was more of a clubhouse for rebels and delinquents than any sort of punishment. They actually had a crappy record player in there with a stack of crappy albums to play, and the only real rock album was Kiss Live. Must have heard it a hundred times! A year or so later, there was this creepy kid/Kiss fanatic who walked around campus with his cassette player playing ONLY Kiss! I recall hearing Detroit Rock City and the rest of the Destroyer album and it was actually all pretty good, but not something I ever bought or wanted in my own collection. When I hear those early tunes now (which is very rare), they take me right back to those rebellious Jr. High school days.

Memories! it's like the story book of ones life. Tough school you were on Hairball! Well, in the mid sixties long hair became an issue at our (so called liberal) highschool of almost 700 kids. It was all to blame to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones off course. Drugs weren't heard of yet! Our Head of School was waiting every morning (!) at the school entrance to pick out guys with "long" hair and, after making a note, send them home straight away to get a haircut! No kidding. It was even a bigger issue than smoking a sigaret outside. Because my "front hair" wasn't very developed, it all grew over my neck. Just some water to temporarily squeez the sides and he never picked me to be send home winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2018 20:23

georgie48
Hairball

Memories! it's like the story book of ones life. Tough school you were on Hairball! Well, in the mid sixties long hair became an issue at our (so called liberal) highschool of almost 700 kids. It was all to blame to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones off course. Drugs weren't heard of yet! Our Head of School was waiting every morning (!) at the school entrance to pick out guys with "long" hair and, after making a note, send them home straight away to get a haircut! No kidding. It was even a bigger issue than smoking a sigaret outside. Because my "front hair" wasn't very developed, it all grew over my neck. Just some water to temporarily squeez the sides and he never picked me to be send home winking smiley

Long haired scoundrels!!! grinning smiley

By the time I started in Jr. High in '75 (which was a public school), I already had long hair down to my shoulders and kept it growing until it was quite a bit longer than that.
But thanks to the Clash in '78, I cut it very short haha, eventually growing it back again to a reasonable length to "conform" with society and to not stand out so much.
These days, I'll occasionally shave my head ala '78 in the thick of summer heat (much to my wife's dismay smiling smiley), but in general I keep it the same as it's been for decades now at reasonable length.

Date: October 2, 2018 19:56

Looks like ACE is ready to join in for the one more last time. If the price is right of course.

Date: October 2, 2018 20:18

jumpontopofmebaby
Looks like ACE is ready to join in for the one more last time. If the price is right of course.
I'll believe it when I see it. I believe he'll do some guest spots at select shows, but nothing beyond that.

Date: October 2, 2018 20:22

keefriffhard4life
Midnight Toker

yes they are the only ones ever who did that "eye roll"

Might be referring to disc 2 on Alive II. A "show" that never took place smiling smiley

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: October 3, 2018 10:31

Side 4 of the album was studio stuff like Rocket ride.Sides 1,2 and 3 all live.

Date: October 3, 2018 10:35

stargroover
Side 4 of the album was studio stuff like Rocket ride.Sides 1,2 and 3 all live.

According to Stanley, they rigged up in a warehouse (?) and played through the fresh songs they hadn't had time to play in concert on their latest tour, to make sure they were included on the live album.

So they are playing live, but for no one.

Date: October 3, 2018 12:54

Interesting.
Always liked the album Alive 2,my first and favourite Kiss album.Rarely listen to side 4 though.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 3, 2018 14:24

Paul Stanley needs a vocal coach. There are singers his age that still sing songs that were vocally demanding back in the day, they just sing them differently now. For some reason, Paul can't seem to stop trying to sing these songs the way he did back when he was in his 20's and 30's. Now when they perform, once they're three or four songs into the set, Paul's voice is shot. And he still tries to hit those high notes.

I'm sure his usual screaming at the audience between songs doesn't help either.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 3, 2018 15:31

Any chance, did anyone see these guys when they toured without the makeup?

Date: October 3, 2018 15:41

shattered
Any chance, did anyone see these guys when they toured without the makeup?[/quote

I did can't remember the year but was in Dallas TX.

Gene got pulled off the stage!

Date: October 3, 2018 16:49

jahisnotdead
Paul Stanley needs a vocal coach. There are singers his age that still sing songs that were vocally demanding back in the day, they just sing them differently now. For some reason, Paul can't seem to stop trying to sing these songs the way he did back when he was in his 20's and 30's. Now when they perform, once they're three or four songs into the set, Paul's voice is shot. And he still tries to hit those high notes.

I'm sure his usual screaming at the audience between songs doesn't help either.
He had vocal cord surgery a few years ago and it didn't help at all. Gene has even mocked his struggles.

Date: October 3, 2018 16:55

I saw the Animalize tour and I seem to remember this was without make up.First saw them in 1980 at Bingley Hall,Stafford ,UK.A great gig. So was the O2 show in London they recently did.They still rock!

Date: October 3, 2018 16:55

When I saw them a couple of years ago, Paul was quite good again.

But he should stop the shouting between the songs (We can hear you anyway, Paul)..

Date: October 3, 2018 17:03

pauls voice was great until about 2007 . pretty much right after he turned 55 it went downhill

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 3, 2018 19:02

I saw them 4 times, and even in 2015, I thought his voice was still OK
Recent videos show that he might indeed need a bit of training and vocal coaching to preserve his voice.

Playing consecutive nights is also something they should stop doing.

These guys didn't write the best rock songs ever but they have some pleasant tunes and know how to entertain an audience.

Date: October 3, 2018 19:20

Doc
I saw them 4 times, and even in 2015, I thought his voice was still OK
Recent videos show that he might indeed need a bit of training and vocal coaching to preserve his voice.

Playing consecutive nights is also something they should stop doing.

These guys didn't write the best rock songs ever but they have some pleasant tunes and know how to entertain an audience.

I think they have a ton of good songs and put on a great concert

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 3, 2018 20:09

Midnight Toker

Check out the Stones.

Date: October 3, 2018 20:17

Redhotcarpet
Midnight Toker

Check out the Stones.

The Stones did the same with I've Been Loving You and Fortune Teller.

Date: October 4, 2018 13:17

I was never a big Kiss fan. Even in a decadent self immolation sense I can not quite take Gene Simmons, and his sock-wearing deflowering of groupies.
The music was never great. Not trashy, not speedy, not sappy. Ace was ace. Especially as time wore on, and Paul?Gene took over and turned it into a corporation, I think any real rock infusion had to help. Plus he can play.
Those [players with actual chops like Kulick only contributed to the sterile corporate output.
On drums Peter Criss was always weak; Eric Carr was the one replacement player who should have been the one. truly a sad story how he passed so early.
I watched a lot of clips on Tube of Stanley reading his auto bio, and actually learned a bit about the band etc. But his constant beat-down of Ace and Peter got on my nerves. Then I saw some Ace clips, other side of the coin. Bands...what do you know.

OPS meant to say that the Who must have the record for most Goodbye Tours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-04 13:18 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: October 4, 2018 13:21

Palace Revolution 2000
I was never a big Kiss fan. Even in a decadent self immolation sense I can not quite take Gene Simmons, and his sock-wearing deflowering of groupies.
The music was never great. Not trashy, not speedy, not sappy. Ace was ace. Especially as time wore on, and Paul?Gene took over and turned it into a corporation, I think any real rock infusion had to help. Plus he can play.
Those [players with actual chops like Kulick only contributed to the sterile corporate output.
On drums Peter Criss was always weak; Eric Carr was the one replacement player who should have been the one. truly a sad story how he passed so early.
I watched a lot of clips on Tube of Stanley reading his auto bio, and actually learned a bit about the band etc. But his constant beat-down of Ace and Peter got on my nerves. Then I saw some Ace clips, other side of the coin. Bands...what do you know.

OPS meant to say that the Who must have the record for most Goodbye Tours.

I thought his bio was surprisingly good.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home