Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Those Pathe Marconi Sessions
Date: September 20, 2018 19:55

I've been listening to 'Girls,Pills & Powders' in car recently. It's so great because they were in creative overdrive. The first real session with Ron Wood; Keith relatively clean, Mich still one of the boys; all fueled with the need of something to prove.
Sort of like TellMe/IORR was in the earlier days; before we had driven almost every topic into the ground. The thread about 'are you overwhelmed by this site?' made me think about that. It is hard to get a fresh discussion going because nowadays a link to the older thread seems to suffice.
But the great thing about the Stones to me is that they don't get worn out. It's like listening to 'Exile' or 'Ya-Ya's' for the millionth time. I still find new things.
It's interesting to note how the never ending "Munich Hilton" morphs into "Golden Caddy".I thought "Hilton" was part of the 77/78 sessions, but "Caddy" from '83.
And on "Disco Muzik" I always assumed it was Jagger, Charlie and Ron Wood on Bass; with Jagger playing guitar. But then I noticed that during the singing you can hear Jagger clapping at times. It is definitely him because it is that real fast clap that he does at times. it overlaps with the guitar playing, and it is obviously a live vocal, so is it Keith on guitar?
Another weird note: two songs from those times that have always been very Keith-ian are "I like it too much" and "I need you" ( on some versions Jagger is already prominent). And it is odd that George Harrison's two songs from "Help" are "You like it too much" and "I Need you".

Re: Those Pathe Marconi Sessions
Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 20, 2018 21:18

"Those Pathe Marconi Sessions" sounds like an appropriate title for a release that could be treated as such.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 20, 2018 23:03

I’d love to hear it in my car so we could talk about it.

Believe it
or not,
not everybody bootlegs.

Need some new stuff, Stones.

Date: September 21, 2018 00:28

You could start a ‘Bootleg Club’
like a book club,
but somehow (hmmm) we all get a copy,
listen,
discuss.
I’m in smiling smiley

Date: September 23, 2018 15:47

I am stuck on this 5-disc album. I finally heard a version of 'Far Away Eyes" and got to hear what Keith has always talked about. he has stated that Jagger sang this song un-affected on every take, until the final version where he adopted the drawl. But in all the boots I have to say I never heard it. Finally got one.
I had to think on it. Because the released version is so ingrained in me.
But yes - IMO Keith is right. Especially the chorus is so much more vulnerable. Jagger does have all the lyrics in place already. Different phrasings etc, but it's all there essentially. By him singing it straight the song takes on a completely different POV. Now it's a real tale, a bit sad, melancholic, wistful. The official version is mainly funny; the girl with the far away eyes is tongue-in-cheek. But early takes are wonderful.

I love these outtakes.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 23, 2018 17:00

...many of their out takes....and there are many....underscore their brilliance...these 2 need to get their shit together one day and officially release some of these beauties...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 23, 2018 17:04

Rip This
...many of their out takes....and there are many....underscore their brilliance...these 2 need to get their shit together one day and officially release some of these beauties...
smileys with beerdrinking smileyhot smiley
jeroen

Date: September 23, 2018 22:17

Palace Revolution 2000
I am stuck on this 5-disc album. I finally heard a version of 'Far Away Eyes" and got to hear what Keith has always talked about. he has stated that Jagger sang this song un-affected on every take, until the final version where he adopted the drawl. But in all the boots I have to say I never heard it. Finally got one.
But yes - IMO Keith is right. Especially the chorus is so much more vulnerable. Jagger does have all the lyrics in place already. Different phrasings etc, but it's all there essentially. By him singing it straight the song takes on a completely different POV. Now it's a real tale, a bit sad, melancholic, wistful. The official version is mainly funny; the girl with the far away eyes is tongue-in-cheek. But early takes are wonderful.

I love these outtakes.

I had no idea, thank you.
I would truly love to hear ‘Far Away Eyes’ original -

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 23, 2018 22:29

The most interesting period. New music, new approach, same band with same roots

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 23, 2018 22:42

35love
Palace Revolution 2000

I love these outtakes.

I had no idea, thank you.
I would truly love to hear ‘Far Away Eyes’ original -

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-23 22:43 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 24, 2018 07:13

had not heard this out take before...really good...thanks!

Date: September 24, 2018 08:12

Thank you bleedingman, thank you Anthony R!

I loved it (straight Mick on ‘Far Away Eyes’)
I tried very hard to get thru it, but the audio quality hissing was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I forget this about bootlegs/ cannot listen if audio quality is too far below ‘decent’
But THANK YOU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-26 00:35 by 35love.

Date: September 24, 2018 16:02

35love

I tried very hard to get thru it, but the audio quality hissing was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I forget this about bootlegs/ cannot listen if audio quality is to far below ‘decent’
But THANK YOU

I often find that one develops "Bootleg ears", where you just get used to it, and you disregard audio hi-fi, and go straight for the artistic quality. It made me a better listener I think. But yes it takes some re-arranging. On 'Far Away Eyes", one thing I forgot to mention that Mick is still very low in the mix. He most likely was sitting at the piano mumbling the lyrics.
AnthonyR always has many, many rarities, and always great images to go with it. He must be one of the oldest Stones authorities on the Net. Way back in the day he and SteveP ran the first ever Stones board. I'm sure there are some other carry-overs here on tellMe from then.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 25, 2018 19:34

Palace Revolution 2000
35love

I tried very hard to get thru it, but the audio quality hissing was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I forget this about bootlegs/ cannot listen if audio quality is to far below ‘decent’
But THANK YOU

I often find that one develops "Bootleg ears", where you just get used to it, and you disregard audio hi-fi, and go straight for the artistic quality ...

Great definition and so true!

Do "Bootleg Ears" include the ability to appreciate not only extremely-lo-fi music, but also to see ART in out-of-tune ramblings produced by Keith over a Charlie-groove?

Was listening to the 1972 Dallas rehearsals this morning ...

C

Date: September 26, 2018 00:40

Yes, Anthony R. has gems, to be sure. Thank you, and obviously I’ve given a ‘like’ utube.

I understand ‘bootleg ears’ and believe me, make exceptions (or my heart does/ love for a song I’m hearing)
I pushed through El Mocambo ‘Worried About You’
and then just got high off it 5-6x in a row.
But if it was CLEANED UP
I would pay hard cold cash for it, lol.
Yep, the ear is an art.

Edit: spelt Mocambo wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-26 01:03 by 35love.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2018 01:16

Hey yeah 35 your Stones love
gonna help ya get them bootleg ears.
But for now maybe best you hold back
on becoming a fan of Blind Lemon Jefferson ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: WetWillie ()
Date: September 26, 2018 06:50

Would someone post the straight version of Far Away Eyes on wetransfer please, just that track? Thanks. Tony

Date: September 27, 2018 00:55

I have been listening to all the Paris 77/78 sessions non stop for days.
I've always been transfixed by "Disco Muzik" it's just such a stupid song. Often I heard it, but never really analyzed what was going on.
Are there two versions? Because now I have even heard a second guitar.
I always believed Jagger picks up a guitar, strums, Charlie shuffles along, and then he sings "Disco Muzik" for a while.
But now I hear that Ronnie comes along, and joins in on Bass. I say Ronnie because it sounds a lot like his Bass playing. Then there is a low volume distorted guitar that also comes in. But it is that clapping that throws it all off because it is while all are playing. That eliminates Jagger from guitar. There is no way there are any overdubs on that thing. So could it be the classic line up all along?

Another item that is interesting is that on some boots they throw in the 78 LA sessions with the lot. But one can tell from song selection and the performances that they obviously ran right into a studio coming hot off that 78 tour.

You know, I thought that Dandy had created one of those preserved threads with all the boot songs on them and discussions.

Date: September 27, 2018 01:16

Supply and demand, Tony. That thread died without anyone noticing smiling smiley

Date: September 27, 2018 09:10

DandelionPowderman
Supply and demand, Tony. That thread died without anyone noticing smiling smiley

Yes, my request has been blown away Dandelion.

Date: September 27, 2018 11:30

WetWillie
DandelionPowderman

More like crumbled...

Are there even more Tonys on here who'd like the bootleg thread revived? winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 27, 2018 11:33

Yeah well i am not a Tony..but it would be nice to see it revived yeah.
Jeroen

Date: September 27, 2018 11:34

Well, here's how far we got: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 27, 2018 11:45

DandelionPowderman
WetWillie
DandelionPowderman

More like crumbled...

Are there even more Tonys on here who'd like the bootleg thread revived? winking smiley

Tony can you hear me????? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 29, 2018 09:17

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
WetWillie
DandelionPowderman

More like crumbled...

I hear you. I did miss the thread - the bootleg track thread. It is a nice idea.

Date: September 29, 2018 12:49

WetWillie
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
WetWillie
DandelionPowderman

More like crumbled...

I hear you. I did miss the thread - the bootleg track thread. It is a nice idea.

Now that it's up again feel free to contribute to it. I'll add more songs next week.

Date: September 29, 2018 17:00

One of the craziest tracks from the sessions; no, make that from the Stones' entire catalog, has got to be "Some People Tell Me". Jagger's delivery, but more so those guitars, LOL.
It reminds me of that scene in a John C Reilly as Dewey Cox, where he is going through his 'cocaine period', and at band practice is in coke frenzy, and yells at the stupefied band members. "Aaarrgh!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home