Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alternate version of Harlem Shuffle
Date: September 19, 2018 12:18

They should have released this version, imo.

Your thoughts?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Alternate version of Harlem Shuffle
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 19, 2018 12:26

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2018 12:48

Thanks, I like it! A bit more wildness, passion and sex in it than in the released version. A bit more Stones personality and uniqueness in it. Although I do understand they took the more polished and ordinary route to make it a radio-friendly dance hit. This alternative/early version would have been a strong album cut.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-19 13:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 19, 2018 13:40

Much better version

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2018 14:09

looser … jammier as a an album track but not 7" material ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 19, 2018 14:15

Not for me. Imiss the horns.
Backingtrack is the same

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 19, 2018 16:28

DandelionPowderman

Your thoughts?

[www.youtube.com]

But this is the same backing track as the released version right? It misses a load of overdubs, but this is the same track.

Mathijs

Date: September 19, 2018 16:50

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Your thoughts?

[www.youtube.com]

But this is the same backing track as the released version right? It misses a load of overdubs, but this is the same track.

Mathijs

Indeed + that some of Keith's licks we hear here are down in the mix or gone from the studio version. But this one is way longer, and captured the spirit of the recording: That of Mick and Bobby playing around with the track. That element is totally gone on the DW-version. The little rap-duet, towards the ending, is priceless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-19 16:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2018 16:52

Yes exact same backing track and vocals as the released version. Womack was mixed down and the lead guitar part was reworked. The "rapping" that starts at 4' is pretty cool !

This should never been the leadout single for DW, I mean a cover of a groove that doesn't really go anywhere and with no relevance whatsoever to the rest of the material, dark times...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 19, 2018 17:10

It may be an alternate version, even though the backing track is the same. All of the licks we hear from Keith here didn't wind up on the studio version, and the vocals are mostly different. Womack is higher in the mix - and the tune is longer, with interesting stuff going on later in the song.

Just for you guys who think it's the same version.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 19, 2018 17:17

Original version better

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 19, 2018 17:24

Hmm, I find this ad lib vocal stuff (in the vein of Don't Look Back) rather lackluster, really, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't keep it.
Unfinished as the basic track is, it does enable us to hear the guitar part more clearly, but apparently the overdubs were necessary to make this cool song one of the last really great singles (hits), in my opinion.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 19, 2018 18:30

Cool version. Love the looseness of it. Cranked up, it makes for a great dance/workout tune.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2018 18:46

This is great and almost sounds live - love the improvised vocal stuff, though prefer the original version which is amongst their best covers imo.
Would have been nice to have released this though, maybe an extended version as the b-side to an extended version of official on 12" vinyl - the longer the better!

Date: September 19, 2018 21:54

deardoctor
Not for me. Imiss the horns.
Backingtrack is the same

No horns in the song; all keyboards, Im' pretty sure.
There is also a lead guitar that Keith adds later.
Agree that this is the same basic track used for released version, but I bet the other takes sounded very much like this.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2018 03:58

This was the last great song recorded by the Stones. Bill Wyman just kills it. Although Steel Wheels had better quality throughout then Dirty Work, Harlem Shuffle stands as the best on either album.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: September 20, 2018 04:32

ONE HIT (to the body) should have been the lead-off single from the LP---much stronger and jamming ……plus better video...that counted for a lot in 1986...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 20, 2018 05:40

I thought the "Harlem Shuffle" / "Had It With You" 45 was a great single. I'm sort of fond of the 12" single with New York and London extended mixes. I never liked it live either by Mick solo or on the STEEL WHEELS tour. This version doesn't strike me as superior. If I had to replace "Harlem Shuffle" with anything it would be "Strictly Memphis." That said, you could replace a good number of songs on the album with "Strictly Memphis" and leave "Harlem Shuffle" where it is and you'd have a stronger album.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 20, 2018 12:26

Always loved the bass line of Shuffle, and it is loud and clear on this version.

I never was able to sort out Bill's work exactly.

Some time ago I gave up and bought a bass tab book: it says that Bill used a 5 string bass ... Possible?

Never saw him with a 5 string bass. If possible they are even more awful than those Steinbergers ...

C

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 20, 2018 12:41

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Your thoughts?

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Indeed + that some of Keith's licks we hear here are down in the mix or gone from the studio version. But this one is way longer, and captured the spirit of the recording: That of Mick and Bobby playing around with the track. That element is totally gone on the DW-version. The little rap-duet, towards the ending, is priceless.

To me it sounds like a version from New York, where all the overdubs and mixing was done. Jagger's and Womack's vocals are live vocals over the prerecorded track.

Mathijs

Date: September 20, 2018 12:56

The NYC-mix

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 20, 2018 13:37

Its good..like the rap bit. Sounds better thsn the clean production of the single.miss the horns really.
Jeroen

Date: September 20, 2018 13:38

The horns first came on stage, though.

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 20, 2018 13:41

Mathijs

To me it sounds like a version from New York, where all the overdubs and mixing was done. Jagger's and Womack's vocals are live vocals over the prerecorded track.

Mathijs

Agree with this. Basic track recorded in Paris April 1985.

Vocals overdubs in NYC.

Date: September 20, 2018 13:47

But several of those overdubs are missing here, and some licks that are not on the record are included on this version.

The basic tracks are the same of course. However, I'm pretty sure the vocals are earlier takes.

My guess is that this is the version that they started working with in NYC, before they peeled off stuff as well as adding guitars for the maxi single.

It sounds like they kept a few of Mick's howls and grunts on the maxi single as well.

Date: September 20, 2018 13:55

DandelionPowderman
But several of those overdubs are missing here, and some licks that are not on the record are included on this version.

The basic tracks are the same of course. However, I'm pretty sure the vocals are earlier takes.

My guess is that this is the version that they started working with in NYC, before they peeled off stuff as well as adding guitars for the maxi single.

It sounds like they kept a few of Mick's howls and grunts on the maxi single as well.

Would be nice if this take could be posted on WeTransfer.
Jeroen

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 20, 2018 13:58

Seems to be the same version as released on many bootlegs including :

2LP - The Last Goodbye - side C - track 1 (excellent stereo)
2CD - Back To Zero (DAC) - CD2 - track 1 (vg++ stereo)

None of the bootleg CD's I have reach ( or achieve ?)(sorry for my english) the quality of the original tapes circulating in 1986 - The 2LP "The Last Goodbye" is the only pressed release in really excellent stereo.

left : guitar
right : guitar
center : organ - guitar (low) - drums - bass
center : lead vocal - back-up vocals
center : rap (Mick & Bobby Womack)

Date: September 20, 2018 14:02

There is also one more guitar (occasionally) center/left.

Sorry, mixed up with the NYC-mix (been listening to too many versions, hehe)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-20 14:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 20, 2018 14:10

LiveAtHidepark
Seems to be the same version as released on many bootlegs including :

2LP - The Last Goodbye - side C - track 1 (excellent stereo)
2CD - Back To Zero (DAC) - CD2 - track 1 (vg++ stereo)

None of the bootleg CD's I have reach ( or achieve ?)(sorry for my english) the quality of the original tapes circulating in 1986 - The 2LP "The Last Goodbye" is the only pressed release in really excellent stereo.

left : guitar
right : guitar
center : organ - guitar (low) - drums - bass
center : lead vocal - back-up vocals
center : rap (Mick & Bobby Womack)

Thanks.
jeroen

Date: September 20, 2018 14:18

HS is one of my favourite Stones dance songs. Good groove.
Jeroen

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1379
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home