Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bobby Keys by Randy Patterson
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2018 22:33

For those who are living or will be in Austin tomorrow:

Every Night’s a Saturday Night
Directed by Jeff Stacy

USA, 2017, 1h 27min, Digital, English

Doc Nights

With special guest Bobby Whitlock in attendance.

Through interviews and archival materials, this documentary shows us the life and times of the hell-raising, globe-trotting Lubbock saxophone man Bobby Keys.

AFS Cinema
6406 N I-35 Suite 3100 Austin, TX 78752

Showtime
Wed, Sep 19
7:30 PM

[www.austinfilm.org]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 19, 2018 01:28

With Bobby passed the last of the great Stones instrumentalists. Hopkins, Wyman, Keys, Stewart, Taylor, and Preston. They attracted the best.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2018 02:37

They don't make 'em like they use to.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 19, 2018 02:41

35love
Bobby Keys on the gem
‘Whatever Gets You Through The Night’
[m.youtube.com]
fantastic tune of all time

Very enjoyable. Thanks! More please!

Date: September 19, 2018 02:44

Hairball
Delaney and Bonnie and Friends (including Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Bobby Keys, et al.)

Delaney & Bonnie - Comin' Home (Live)

That is Jim Price next to Bobby. I wonder what year this video was shot?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-19 02:47 by exilestones.

Date: September 19, 2018 03:23

SKILLS
exilestones
Cristiano Radtke
exilestones
IS there a list of songs Bobby played on?

There's a selected list of his recordings on his autobiography Every Night's a Saturday Night: The Rock 'n' Roll Life of Legendary Sax Man Bobby Keys. I'll try to post a scan tomorrow, if I can.

The list would be appreciated. I remember loving a Leo Sayer song. I didn't know why I liked it so much. Decades later I found out that it was Bobby on Sax!

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

LEO SAYER-When I Need You
apx 2:08

I never knew this... one of my Mum's fave's... i'll email her right now

Leo Sayer and Bobby Keys

My friends would kid me, "I thought you like Rock and Roll - THE STONES! Leo Sayer, he's all roll."

We went to see Leo Sayer in 1977. Appeared on stage was Bobby Keys and Nicky Hopkins! I was blown away. Nicky was beyond AWESOME and BOBBY!!!!

I was ecstatic! My friends didn't know why I was so happy. This concert rocked!

Leo is a great performer.

++++++++

Leo was now on top of the world in 1976 and the ricochet of his U.S. success echoed around the globe. Endless Flight was critically well received everywhere, and though some felt Leo had lost some of his uniqueness in the process, none could deny the instant pop appeal of the album.

The peak of his career came in 1977, when he scored two consecutive US number one hits, first with the disco-styled "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" (a Grammy Award winner for the year's best Rhythm and Blues Song), followed by the romantic ballad, "When I Need You" (1977) with Bobby Keys on sax, which reached number one in both the UK and US. Willie Weeks provided the bass to "When I Need You" with Jeff Porcaro on drums, David Bowie's guitarist Earl Slick on guitar, and Michael Omartian and James Newton Howard on keys (Omartian and Larry Carlton both show up on Albert Hammond recordings as well).

Q You take another turn with "When I Need You," written by Albert Hammond and Carole Bayer Sager.

Leo Sayer: I’d get boxes of records given to me. There was a lovely lady, Carol Pincus, at Motown’s publishing company Jobete. She turned up with a box of songs and in there was a ballad. She’d listened to me singing and she thought this might be suitable. She was damned right.

We couldn’t afford to bring my ex-wife Janice over with me so I would speak to her on the trans-Atlantic phone every other night and tell her I loved her but the lines were so shit in those days. This song comes along and all the words are what I want to say to Janice. I wrote down the lyrics and phoned her. I said all these words and she cried. It was all so emotional. She said, “That’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever said to me.” I said, “Well it comes from a song.” She said, “You have to record this song.”

We put it on the album. There was no sax solo on there but I was touring at the time and Bobby Keys was in the band. We played it every night on stage. Richard came up to see us in San Francisco. He got blown away by Bobby’s solo and he said, “I’ve gotta put that on the record.”

They cut Bobby onto the record and then released the single. It was the second big hit after You Make Me Feel Like Dancing. Some people thought it was a peculiar choice because it was a completely different song but I didn’t mind. It showed how I could sing ballads as well.

The liner notes said it came from the album Bobby Vee Meets the Crickets. When Buddy Holly died the Crickets were left on Coral Records. So Sonny Curtis and Jerry Allison, who were writing songs at the time, were put together with another Coral artist called Bobby Vee and they made an album. The record company thought it was a fine way to get them out of a jam.

The thing becomes a big hit. There we are 20 years later picking up this song. We recorded it in about three or four hours. We played the album for the record company and we said, we’ve got one extra track, we should play it for you, we don’t know what to do with it. And they all turned around and said, “That’s your hit.” And bang – that was the first single.

Later on I go to America and it became a country hit in the States. It topped the country charts at the time, which was pretty unique for me. So I walk into a Nashville station and some guy says [in Southern accent], “Here’s Leon Sayers, country star!”

Leo now had an all star band on the road, featuring Nicky Hopkins on keyboards and Bobby Keys on saxophone, Reggie McBride on bass and Steve Madaio on trumpet (both from the Stevie Wonder band), and Don Preston (from The Mothers Of Invention).

"3 December 2014: Leo Sayer has paid tribute to his friend Bobby Keys who passed away at age 70. Keys, the sax player for the Rolling Stones, also played on Leo's global hit ‘When I Need You’. In a statement Leo remembered his friend saying, "R.I.P. Bobby Keys. Bobby played the solo on "When I Need You", 20 secs of tenor sax that no other player has ever been able to emulate. We toured together in the mid 70's, and Bobby was always fun to work with, a great musician everybody now knows as the sax man with the Rolling Stones. I’m so proud to have known you ‘Texas’!"

More: [iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-19 03:30 by exilestones.

Date: September 19, 2018 03:26

Bobby Keys TM Trailer

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2018 06:26

exilestones
Hairball
Delaney and Bonnie and Friends (including Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Bobby Keys, et al.)

Here's the entire show: Delaney & Bonnie & Friends: Copenhagen December 10, 1969

Video description:

"This is a Danish TV recording of Delaney & Bonnie & Friends performing. This is the rare complete recording in good quality. Note: The "Friends" is really the future Derek and the Dominos in the making.
Line-up:
Bonnie Bramlett - vocals
Delaney Bramlett - vocals, guitar
Eric Clapton -guiatr,vocals
George Harrison -guitar
Carl Radle - bass
Jim Gordon -drums
Bobby Whitlock - keyboard, vocals
Billy Preston - organ
Jim Price - trombone,trumpet
Bobby Keys - sax
Rita Coolidge - vocals
Tex Johnson - percussion

Set list:
Poor Elijah
I Don't Know Why
Where There's A Will, There's A Way
My Baby Specializes
I Don't Want To Discuss It
That's What My Man Is For
Comin' Home
Encore: Tutti Frutti / The Girl Can't Help It / Long Tall Sally / Jenny Jenny

Info. for both via wiki: Delaney and Bonnie and Friends On Tour with Eric Clapton

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 21, 2018 05:37

I’m opening one of my RS mint preserved tour duffel bag/ safes
Looking for my LEEDS 1982 DVD to watch for Bobby and
how fun I found a shirt I didn’t know I had/ haven't thought about for a few yrs.
If You Can’t Rock Me,
The Rolling Stones Will.

Sweet —
still lookin for my LEEDS DVD although I can quote the CD songs ingrained in my brain.

Date: September 23, 2018 13:58

Hairball
exilestones
Hairball

Here's the entire show: Delaney & Bonnie & Friends: Copenhagen December 10, 1969

Thanks!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home