Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The longest touring period... is now
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 17, 2018 12:11

The Rolling Stones have played in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 which makes 7 consecutive years on stage. This is the longest period in their career. Previous one was 6 years between 62-67 (in 1968 they did only 2-song appearance at Empire Pool and TV show for R'n'R Circus which I don't count as full shows).
I know that in 62-67 they played far more shows and their touring schedule was far more extreme, but it's still pretty impressive that after 50 years on stage they have toured the longest in their career without a break. If 2019 tour comes true it will be even more. smiling bouncing smiley

Re: The longest touring period... is now
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 17, 2018 15:34

"...7 consecutive years on stage [...] they have toured the longest in their career without a break.."

I think this would be one for dear ole Charlie to conquer:

"Seven consecutive years on stage?!? More like one year on stage, and 6 years of hangin' around really."

Honestly Franzk, I admire your positivity & enthusiasm; and I am nót being negative nor trying to puit you or the guys or anything else down here;
but these 7 years have been ALL 'breaks'... - apart from the occasional 'on stage' slot.

Let's keep a kean eye on Reality, shall we.

Date: September 17, 2018 15:57

I agree with the premise that The Rolling Stones have been active in recent years... I can remember multi year droughts when they disappeared altogether... So in comparison to many other periods of their career, that have been very active

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 16:03

It's quite a fudge of reality to say "without a break", but yes, it's fantastic that they're playing a handful of shows every year. I think it's a perfect balance for them at this stage of their lives.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 16:15

keefriff99
It's quite a fudge of reality to say "without a break", but yes, it's fantastic that they're playing a handful of shows every year. I think it's a perfect balance for them at this stage of their lives.

It's also the perfect balance for most of the rest of us. This year, I took 19 days of leave from work for my 11 shows and associated travels. It was supposed to be 18 but I was one of those stuck in London after the Twickenham transport mess so took another day. The rest of the year to work and pursue other interests with a Stones tour of 7 or 8 weeks is a good balance for me grinning smiley Add in the ticket scrambles, lucky dips, ticket drops, date and venue rumours and hints and travel organising.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 17, 2018 16:22

keefriff99

Completely agree, the 2017 & 2018 shows were truly fantastic. Most people I know who (like me) have attended a number of both, reckon that if anything - the 2018 shows were very slightly up on the 2017 performances. I saw them in Amsterdam and Paris (twice) in 2017, then this year in Coventry, Cardiff, Twickenham, Berlin, Marseille, Prague, and Warsaw. as I say (but this is really a matter of personal taste), I think and I feel that perhaps the way they were playing was marginally better in 2018 than in 2017, but in general - the performance levels were pretty much indistinguishable. Basically, they're currently at the top of their game, they're as much a joy to see these days as ever they were, and possibly they've got a very small number of years left to roll before the REAL 'last time' ....... heaven forbid !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: September 17, 2018 16:33

grzegorz67
keefriff99

It's also the perfect balance for most of the rest of us. This year, I took 19 days of leave from work for my 11 shows and associated travels. It was supposed to be 18 but I was one of those stuck in London after the Twickenham transport mess so took another day. The rest of the year to work and pursue other interests with a Stones tour of 7 or 8 weeks is a good balance for me grinning smiley Add in the ticket scrambles, lucky dips, ticket drops, date and venue rumours and hints and travel organising.

My thoughts are similar to yours! grinning smiley

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 17, 2018 17:55

RoughJusticeOnYa
"...7 consecutive years on stage [...] they have toured the longest in their career without a break.."

"Seven consecutive years on stage?!? More like one year on stage, and 6 years of hangin' around really."

Honestly Franzk, I admire your positivity & enthusiasm; and I am nót being negative nor trying to puit you or the guys or anything else down here;
but these 7 years have been ALL 'breaks'... - apart from the occasional 'on stage' slot.

No offence taken, RoughJusticeOnYa, but as I mentioned in my original post, it's not about the number of shows or days on tour, but about the fact, that every year since 2012 someone somewhere around the globe had a chance to see the Stones live. And such long period of Stones years never happened before.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 19:04

franzk
RoughJusticeOnYa

No offence taken, RoughJusticeOnYa, but as I mentioned in my original post, it's not about the number of shows or days on tour, but about the fact, that every year since 2012 someone somewhere around the globe had a chance to see the Stones live. And such long period of Stones years never happened before.

You're absolutely right, Franzk! After I saw the first 50th Anniversery show in November 2012, with Mick T. and Bill W., I said to my son that now I was perfectly happy. Whatever would come next, I would consider it to be a bonus ... well yes, every following year I was able to see the Stones live (anywhere around the world). I'm in love with bonuses since smileys with beer
To be continued cool smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 17, 2018 19:58

Theres a world of difference between touring 6-7 years in a row and playing 15 shows a year and touring for the same period and playing 150-300 shows!

I wouldnt call this 'touring without a break' when theres usually about 7-8 months between tour legs. 50 years ago theyd have recorded two albums during that kind of hiatus.

Different MO now. They're effectively semi-retired from touring but crank the machine up for a couple of months every year when they do two shows a week.

Certainly better than what we could have expected at this stage though and the only logical option as taking 2-3 years off between tours isnt a viable alternative anymore.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 17, 2018 20:06

This is no time to make sense, Gazza.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 17, 2018 20:21

Sorry aren't they retired yet?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 17, 2018 23:02

yes but they often un-retire..

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 17, 2018 23:33

exhpart
Sorry aren't they retired yet?

What - me and Gazza? I still have a ways to go, but yes, Gazza is getting up there.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: September 18, 2018 14:14

not "without a break" but as constant as never before. amazing!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 18, 2018 14:27

Really hope(depending on money savings) i can catch them in south america in 2 or 3 years.that would be amazing.the 2017 n 2018 gigs for me were very good.i think they were slightly better in 2018.they were having fun themselves.i have got 38 gigs in my pockey since 1976 but hope i will be able to see them again in south america or in europe (2022???).
If for any reason that will not happen...The Stones still are my All time greatest band. And i am immensely proud of them. What a band.
Jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2018 04:28

paulywaul
keefriff99

Completely agree, the 2017 & 2018 shows were truly fantastic. Most people I know who (like me) have attended a number of both, reckon that if anything - the 2018 shows were very slightly up on the 2017 performances. I saw them in Amsterdam and Paris (twice) in 2017, then this year in Coventry, Cardiff, Twickenham, Berlin, Marseille, Prague, and Warsaw. as I say (but this is really a matter of personal taste), I think and I feel that perhaps the way they were playing was marginally better in 2018 than in 2017, but in general - the performance levels were pretty much indistinguishable. Basically, they're currently at the top of their game, they're as much a joy to see these days as ever they were, and possibly they've got a very small number of years left to roll before the REAL 'last time' ....... heaven forbid !

Is "top of their game" in context or do you mean in general? Because it's easy to say they were at the top of their game in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973 etc.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 19, 2018 08:55

the stones always get slaughtered for the contribution to the vegas years, thats 1989 onwards.

they are accused of not being as good live as they were pre 1989.

yet a lot of concerts ive watched recently have proven they can and are so much better live than many shows in the 70,s.

they have been heavily critisised for not being active in the studio. yet i pointed out that they have released enough material since 1989 to have released 1 album every 2 years. a fact that seemed to be missed by many on here who want to pick and choose what should be released and what shouldnt, i was dealing in stats not opinions regarding quality of songs.

and they get critisised for being old. do you choose the age you want to be.

will you be as productive when your old, will you live long enough to be old, anyone who critisises someone for being old really dosent understand nature.

the stones have achieved a lot these last few years, but still people moan they have downtime.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2018 09:39

buttons67
they have been heavily critisised for not being active in the studio. yet i pointed out that they have released enough material since 1989 to have released 1 album every 2 years. a fact that seemed to be missed by many on here who want to pick and choose what should be released and what shouldnt, i was dealing in stats not opinions regarding quality of songs

Not to be a nitpicker, but that's not exactly what you posted with your theory as you included live tunes also (not studio work)- 30 of them.

"nearly 30 songs have appeared on official live albums which hadnt been previously released before, usually cover songs but if released seperately could have given us another 3 new albums"

You also mentioned old outtakes from Exile and Some Girls which doesn't really show they've been active in the studio since '89:

"the some girls/exile outtake releases could have been released in a tattoo you style fashion meaning another 2 studio albums".

You also said of the five official albums released, they could have stretched them out to make seven instead:

"The 5 studio albums could have featured less songs per album and stretched to 7 albums"

Well they could have even stretched it to 10 albums, but no matter how you dice them up, the numbers remain the same.

And finally:

"another 20 or so songs have been released over the time usually as b-sides or one off recordings/singles, or appeared on compilation albums, so if released seperately could have produced another 2 albums"

Yes, that is a valid point.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: September 20, 2018 04:43

franzk
The Rolling Stones have played in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 which makes 7 consecutive years on stage. This is the longest period in their career. Previous one was 6 years between 62-67 (in 1968 they did only 2-song appearance at Empire Pool and TV show for R'n'R Circus which I don't count as full shows).
I know that in 62-67 they played far more shows and their touring schedule was far more extreme, but it's still pretty impressive that after 50 years on stage they have toured the longest in their career without a break. If 2019 tour comes true it will be even more. smiling bouncing smiley
I would hardly call 5 shows in one calendar year (2012) a tour like people do...I mean they played live in 1977, 1979, and 1986, but lets be real....so why not count NME in 1968?....

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 20, 2018 17:42

Live in 86? not

Date: September 20, 2018 17:53

potus43
Live in 86? not

Yep, they did

Date: September 20, 2018 17:54

diverseharmonics
franzk
I would hardly call 5 shows in one calendar year (2012) a tour like people do...I mean they played live in 1977, 1979, and 1986, but lets be real....so why not count NME in 1968?....

Two songs hardly makes a show?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 20, 2018 17:56

potus43
Live in 86? not

Live in '86.

Tribute to Stu.
860223A 23rd February: THE ROLLING STONES & FRIENDS. London, 100 Club.
- Route 66 (Bobby Troup) -without CW; Simon Kirke on drums
- Down The Road Apiece (Tony Raye) -without CW
- Key To The Highway (William Broonzy/Charles Segar) -without CW
- Confessin’ The Blues (Walter Brown/Jay McShann) -without CW
- Mannish Boy (M. London/E. McDaniel/M. Morganfield) -without CW
- Bye Bye Johnny (Chuck Berry) -without CW
- Harlem Shuffle (Bob Relf/Ernest Nelson) -without CW
- Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon)
- Down In The Bottom (Willie Dixon)
- Dust My Broom (Elmore James)
- Little Queenie (Chuck Berry) -without BW
Guest musicians: Simon Kirke (dr, from Route 66 to Harlem Shuffle)/Jack Bruce
(bass on Little Queenie)/Eric Clapton (gtr from Key To The
Highway - Bye Bye Johnny, Dust My Broom & Little Queenie)/
Jeff Beck (gtr from Bye Bye Johnny - Down In The Bottom)/
Pete Townshend (gtr, bvoc from Harlem Shuffle - Little
Queenie)/Chuck Leavell (p; not all songs)
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Yeah, I know, I'm a troll.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-20 18:25 by Deltics.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 20, 2018 17:59

DandelionPowderman
potus43
Live in 86? not

Yep, they did

Who’s that in the picture in that link?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 20, 2018 18:03

Koen
DandelionPowderman
potus43
Live in 86? not

Yep, they did

Who’s that in the picture in that link?

The mathematician Ian Stewart!

[en.wikipedia.org])

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 20, 2018 18:31

Priceless grinning smiley

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: September 20, 2018 21:01

potus43
Live in 86? not
ummm...yes 100 club wake for Stu...no recording has surfaced but Sir Paul has said the gig was recorded...that should be a vault release

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1820
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home