Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: David Gilmour on his guitar tone
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 14, 2018 18:17

Came across this. So, for all you PF and Gilmour fans....

[www.openculture.com]

Re: OT: David Gilmour on his guitar tone
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 18:31

Probably my favorite guitar tone of all time. He's one of the only guitarists that can give me goosebumps repeatedly no matter how many times I've heard his playing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2018 19:07

One of the best guitar players ever, but without the proper songs it can sound akin to new age jazzy elevator music as heard on some of the latter day post-Roger Waters Pink Floyd albums.
The Endless River from 2014 which was made up of tunes cobbled together from post-Roger era leftovers is an example of this.

That said, almost everything he recorded with Pink Floyd up until 1979 ranks amongst the best, and Comfortably Numb is always mentioned as one of the greatest solos ever.
In this article of the 50 Greatest Solos ever, he makes the list twice - Time at #21 and Comfortably Numb at #4.

Regarding Comfortably Numb:
"Gilmour’s classic guitar solo was cut using a combination of the guitarist’s Hiwatt amps and Yamaha rotating speaker cabinets, Bob Ezrin (producer)recalls.
But with Gilmour, he adds, equipment is secondary to touch; “You can give him a ukulele and he’ll make it sound like a Stradivarius.”

Seeing him high atop the Wall in 1980 playing the solo to Comfortably Numb is among the best single concert moments I've ever experienced.

*I recall reading an interview where Gilmour said his #1 influence was Hank Marvin of the Shadows.

The Shadows - Apache (1960)

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 14, 2018 20:30

Actually I love Rattle that lock and he still puts on an amazing spine tingling show ( particularly with Chuck on keyboards ) Chuck is effusive about Gilmours musicianship. Its all personal taste but I prefer Gilmour on his own to Waters on his own.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 14, 2018 20:40

[www.youtube.com]

Raise My Rent From David Gilmour - right from the opening licks his tone glistens.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 14, 2018 20:45

Pink floyd is the only music that makes me depressed on a sunny day.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 21:07

Hairball
One of the best guitar players ever, but without the proper songs it can sound akin to new age jazzy elevator music as heard on some of the latter day post-Roger Waters Pink Floyd albums.
The Endless River from 2014 which was made up of tunes cobbled together from post-Roger era leftovers is an example of this.

That said, almost everything he recorded with Pink Floyd up until 1979 ranks amongst the best, and Comfortably Numb is always mentioned as one of the greatest solos ever.
In this article of the 50 Greatest Solos ever, he makes the list twice - Time at #21 and Comfortably Numb at #4.

Regarding Comfortably Numb:
"Gilmour’s classic guitar solo was cut using a combination of the guitarist’s Hiwatt amps and Yamaha rotating speaker cabinets, Bob Ezrin (producer)recalls.
But with Gilmour, he adds, equipment is secondary to touch; “You can give him a ukulele and he’ll make it sound like a Stradivarius.”

Seeing him high atop the Wall in 1980 playing the solo to Comfortably Numb is among the best single concert moments I've ever experienced.

*I recall reading an interview where Gilmour said his #1 influence was Hank Marvin of the Shadows.

The Shadows - Apache (1960)

Truly great guitar player. I missed The Wall tour, but saw them sans Roger, live at the Oakland Coliseum in 1994. Ehen he hit the first note of his solo on comfortably Numb a bolt of electricity shot up my spine- that is the only time that has ever happened!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 21:39

So glad he came to Chicago on the last tour, I went to all three shows. I didn't mind the Rattle That Lock tunes at all. Hell, I would enjoy David singing the phone book.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 15, 2018 00:10

Keith and David. The best ones IMHO

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 29, 2018 13:32

Hairball
... The Endless River from 2014 which was made up of tunes cobbled together ....

I must admit that even the post-Rog albums have their moments (What Do You Want From Me is simply a great song), but calling the stuff on The Endless river 'tunes' goes a bit too far for me. grinning smiley I didn't expect much when the album came out and still it was a let-down to me. From Dave's comments somewhere, it's basically taken from warm-up noodlings in the studio, and that's exactly what it sounds like.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2018 20:06

doitywoik
Hairball
... The Endless River from 2014 which was made up of tunes cobbled together ....

I must admit that even the post-Rog albums have their moments (What Do You Want From Me is simply a great song), but calling the stuff on The Endless river 'tunes' goes a bit too far for me. grinning smiley I didn't expect much when the album came out and still it was a let-down to me. From Dave's comments somewhere, it's basically taken from warm-up noodlings in the studio, and that's exactly what it sounds like.

Yes, reminds me of music I'd hear at the dentists office when I was a kid. Not sure what was worse...the music or the dentist himself.

And then there were the dreadful/unintentionally funny lyrics to Louder than Words written by hi wife Polly:

We bitch and we fight
Diss each other on sight
(lol)
But this thing we do
These times together
Rain or shine or stormy weather
This thing we do
With world-weary grace
We've taken our places
We could curse it or nurse it and give it a name
Or stay home by the fire, filled by desire
Stoking the flame
But we’re here for the ride

This is someone attempting to write lyrics in the classic Pink Floyd/Roger Waters style, but the end results are a mockery and the antithesis of Pink Floyd.

I agree though that there are a few good moments of the post-Roger era - Marooned is great due to the fact that it's an instrumtental untainted by lousy lyrics.

Marooned

On the Turning Away is another decent tune, and has the climactic grandiosity of a Wall type tune w/ guitar solo a blazin'.

On The Turning Away

Another good one of that latter era is Sorrow - written solely by Gilmour himself.
It was definitely one of the highlight of his Rattle That Lock Tour - him alone in the spotlight wailing away for the intro.:

Sorrow

There's a small smattering of other decent moments, but my main prob with that era is it was so manufactured - bringing in multiple outside songwriters and producers. As Roger called it, a "clever forgery".
Really liked his solo album On an Island and the tour w/Rick Wright on keyboards - there was some integrity to all of that.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 30, 2018 05:55

There's some worthwhile playing on the post-Waters Floyd albums, mostly from Gilmour, but the lyrics are generally dreadful.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 30, 2018 17:55

He certainly can play that guitar. Saw Floyd 3 times.was hoping for one last lp but doesn't look promising, but I can hope, same goes for Supertramp, just heard Davies is on the mend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-30 17:59 by babyblue.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 30, 2018 17:56

Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-30 17:58 by babyblue.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 1, 2018 05:57

Hairball
And then there were the dreadful/unintentionally funny lyrics to Louder than Words written by hi wife Polly:

You checked out the lyrics? You must be a real fan! grinning smiley winking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Maybe his wife had to do something to make up for the rent?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 2, 2018 06:31

I caught one of his shows in Chicago for the last tour. Amazing! I really was stunned by how good it was, how good he sang and his playing is still amazing. A great set list too! I wish I could have seen him on the On an Island tour as well. I would definitely go see him again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2224
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home