Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Do You Get Overwhelmed By This Site?
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 16, 2018 22:18

Please ,Yes I get overwhelmed by the generosity of Stones Posters on this site. Who offer up continual posts of unreleased stuff, with little or no thanks from the Grabbers. This without its hard core posters is the best Stones website.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 16, 2018 22:30

IORR.org is a good place to get good info... but

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 22:41 by Leonioid.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2018 23:58

Green Lady
Leonioid
Pretty good site except for the looney forgetful fritterers who seemingly can not help repeating themselves as they post the same whines over and over and over again, posting the same negative things about The Stones. Repeating the same complaints about no new album, ticket prices being too high or needing a new stage. It is kind of sad how they have not said said anything new in years, but it may be heredity, maybe Alzheimer's or something? Maybe we should feel sorry for them. They seem like oldpeople in an old folks home retelling the same story over and over... and it seems that it makes them feel good to be so negative and complain all the time.... so who knows. It is a pretty sad deal.

Maybe someday there will be a cure, I hope so.

In the mean time brace yourselves for another retelling of desert trip, stories of how The Stones music has sucked since 1974, claims of never going to another show, hoping they can get people banned, then blathering how The Stones need to release a new album and wanting another tour so they can... who knows?

Maybe best to just nod and say "OK Granny"

The predictable response to the "whiners" can become just as tedious as the alleged whining. Maybe you should just say OK Granny and let them get on with it for a bit. The site won't fall apart!

Just as bad are the whiners about people who don't fall in line with the company spiel. Non-critical appreciation of this fantastic group is just as bad as constant whining. You know, the people who think every new tour is great, and the boys are playing better than ever. Should we just say "OK Grampa" and let them blather on? The site won't fall apart.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 17, 2018 00:07

…. I know a girl who gave up love to be with her GRANNY.....
................……. Sad but guess they musta had so much in common ……….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 00:33

Hairball
Great site, and I learn something every day regarding the Stones and/or music in general - some very respectable Rolling Stones experts on this site.
And when the loonies come out of their bin to monitor threads and patrol the site as if it's their own, it's laughable as they usually end up getting banned themselves.
Hats off to bv for keeping a level head and an open mind amidst the wide variety of opinions - keep on rolling. thumbs up

Well said! A band like the Rolling Stones deserves a site like this! And their fans too! Thanks bv. smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 17, 2018 00:37

georgie48
Hairball
Great site, and I learn something every day regarding the Stones and/or music in general - some very respectable Rolling Stones experts on this site.
And when the loonies come out of their bin to monitor threads and patrol the site as if it's their own, it's laughable as they usually end up getting banned themselves.
Hats off to bv for keeping a level head and an open mind amidst the wide variety of opinions - keep on rolling. thumbs up

Well said! A band like the Rolling Stones deserves a site like this! And their fans too! Thanks bv. smileys with beer

Cheers georgie - you're a well respected Stones fan! smileys with beer

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 00:49

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball

Cheers georgie - you're a well respected Stones fan! smileys with beer

The pleasure is all mine, Hairball cool smiley

Date: September 17, 2018 01:06

21 years and counting. Love it!

Long live IORR, and Bjørnulf deserves thanks and praises for running it thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-17 01:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 17, 2018 01:40

21 Years coming up !!! !! …..Wow!!! that's so cool ...Pre-Congrats …

We should all chip in and get BV a Stones CD or lash-out BIG_TIME and get him a Stones T-Shirt …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 17, 2018 02:11

With winter coming maybe a Stones sweater and hat? Ill chip in!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 03:17

DandelionPowderman
21 years and counting. Love it!

Long live IORR, and Bjørnulf deserves thanks and praises for running it thumbs up

I’m a mere junior member at 11 years winking smiley . I read the site for a while prior to that. Yes - big thanks to Bjornulf. How does he manage to fit so much into his time?

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 17, 2018 13:00

24FPS
Green Lady
Leonioid
Pretty good site except for the looney forgetful fritterers who seemingly can not help repeating themselves as they post the same whines over and over and over again, posting the same negative things about The Stones. Repeating the same complaints about no new album, ticket prices being too high or needing a new stage. It is kind of sad how they have not said said anything new in years, but it may be heredity, maybe Alzheimer's or something? Maybe we should feel sorry for them. They seem like oldpeople in an old folks home retelling the same story over and over... and it seems that it makes them feel good to be so negative and complain all the time.... so who knows. It is a pretty sad deal.

In the mean time brace yourselves for another retelling of desert trip, stories of how The Stones music has sucked since 1974, claims of never going to another show, hoping they can get people banned, then blathering how The Stones need to release a new album and wanting another tour so they can... who knows?

The predictable response to the "whiners" can become just as tedious as the alleged whining. Maybe you should just say OK Granny and let them get on with it for a bit. The site won't fall apart!

Just as bad are the whiners about people who don't fall in line with the company spiel. Non-critical appreciation of this fantastic group is just as bad as constant whining. You know, the people who think every new tour is great, and the boys are playing better than ever. Should we just say "OK Grampa" and let them blather on? The site won't fall apart.
thumbs up

Well said, Green Lady and 24FPS.

Date: September 17, 2018 13:34

I fail to see how killing other people's enthusiasm can be viewed as important contributions on a fan site. But that's me. By all means, pat your backs.

No, the people who praise the band's work are NOT as bad as those who repeatedly complain and whine. How could they be - on a fan board?

Positivity > negativity

Positivity and some negativity > negativity

Negativity and some positivity > negativity

And one more reminder: No one possesses the truth around here. If somebody prefers the Stones anno 1990 to the other eras, the Stones anno 1990 IS indeed the best for them.

Trying repeatedly to say that the Stones never did anything worthwhile after Bill quit won't help at all. They won't be convinced, they won't see the light, they won't hear it.

Even though Bjørnulf has created threads for complaints, like for ticket prices, setlists, Mick Taylor etc. etc. I see the same complaints in thread after thread - usually from the same suspects.

Everybody should be allowed to address things they're not happy with. All opinions should be equal. Everybody has the right to be heard.

However, in an environment - be it a workplace, a team or a community like this - complaints and bad vibes influences everybody. The result might be that the community dips a little in quality as well as in people's everyday well-being around here.

I saw a post the other day, where a poster - very carefully - felt the need to add «I hope it's okay that I attend the shows today because I like them» (paraphrasing). It had really come to this: A poster felt the need to explain why he/she attends a Rolling Stones-show, because other posters were hammering on for the umpteenth time about Vegas, ticket prices, bad setlists, no new albums of original material, the bandmembers age etc. etc.

So, some of you guys think complaints and whining is «well said».

Really?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 17, 2018 15:34

Internet has given everybody the ability to publish their opinion and thoughts, easily and with no moderation. Sober or drunk. Night or day. Instantly. Some are sunrise people and some are sunset people. The posts and the comments do reflect people, how they are and how they think.

I would assume that 99.99% of everything on Internet would never have been published by any editor. Just like you may publish a picture of your drink or your cat or dog or friend or food or travel plans on Facebook, you may do verbal and may be not so significant talk on IORR. Some might call it smalltalk, others might call it spam.

It is a full time job to moderate a site on Internet. IORR have one million plus posts, two million unique visitors yearly, tens of thousands of registered users, and it is impossible for me to avoid smalltalk in the threads. This means that most threads will be filled by smalltalk, then there will be some parts that are more interesting than others.

When I went to university many years ago one the professors told me the task of our education was not to store all the facts, but to mature such a way that we could find and evaluate loads and loads of information, right and wrong. This was back in the pre-Internet days. The very same rule do apply today. The most important challengs I have in life is sorting out 99% inaccurate and/or wrong info from the 1% important bits.

If you do only want facts, or information to be trusted, then read the IORR News, or follow those people who are to be trusted. You don't need to read everything, and you don't need to take into account everything published on internet.

Finally, if you feel there is a lot of BS published on IORR, then feel free to help out improving the quality by sending me - the editor and moderator of IORR - an e-mail with a link to the actual post example, with short info about the issue.

IORR has been around for 23 years on Internet, since 1995. That is a long time. We do carry a lot of weight, but if you do want first hand Stones info, this is the place to be. Fact is, IORR do know a lot even before Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie do know everything. It is hard work to know schedules, plans, optional shows, release dates, and everything else, long time before contracts are signed, even before people in charge write the contracts.

Enjoy... And rather than complaining, after vll IORR is a free service I am running in my spare time, I would invite people to contribute.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: September 17, 2018 16:13

DandelionPowderman

'However, in an environment - be it a workplace, a team or a community like this - complaints and bad vibes influences everybody. The result might be that the community dips a little in quality as well as in people's everyday well-being around here'

Well said DP I agree with your comments wholeheartedly, in fact the best post I have seen round here in a long while.

I think the negativity began to build just before the UK tour, mainly by people not going to a show or 'scoping etc. I was looking forward to my show (London 1) and reading comments like 'what's Mick gonna think when he sees all the empty seats? Really?!!). As we all know, nothing compares to the live experience, and I had a fantastic time. The 30 somethings I was with were more critical of the fireworks than the setlist, and when Keith opened in Hyde Park a few years back, in the wrong key, I was the only one in my crowd who noticed. Proving we all want/need/expect different things from our experience.

Despite BV's impassioned plea a while ago to stop the cat fights, on and on they go, fuelled I sometimes think from sheer boredom now the tour is over.

I'm beginning to get a bit 'over-Stoned' atm, in part, I think, due to the negativity and squabbling I see here. I need a little fresh air, (away from here at least). Then I will return to my RS appreciation on my own terms, and probably keep my opinions to myself.

I know, we are all entitled to our opinions (of course), but it is sad that people use that justification to enter the next round of squabbling

Lastly so many thanks to BV for all his hard work and putting up with it all.

PS so sorry to those who may be offended if I have repeated anything I have posted before........"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 17, 2018 17:15

Harlem Shuffler
24FPS
Green Lady
Leonioid

thumbs up

Well said, Green Lady and 24FPS.

disagree

do the math:

if the whiners stop then the whiner-whiners would stop

but if the whiner-whiners stop the whiners will just keep on rolling

this breaks the tie. the whiners are the worst.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 17, 2018 19:05

bv says "...I would invite people to contribute."

That is one area where it's easy to feel overwhelmed by this site. It's wonderful that there are so many superfans here - whatever aspect of Stonesworld interests you, there's probably at least one person here who's a world authority on it. But it also makes you a bit wary of adding your two cents' worth, because it has to be 100% accurate - you'll soon be put in your place if it isn't. But I do try to add what I can.

The other thing is that this site is sort of like Keith - do NOT try to keep up with its standards of knowledge, show-attendance, spending of time and money, or ownership of Stones-stuff - because you can't. Just enjoy from a safe distance!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 17, 2018 20:05

Green Lady
bv says "...I would invite people to contribute."

That is one area where it's easy to feel overwhelmed by this site. It's wonderful that there are so many superfans here - whatever aspect of Stonesworld interests you, there's probably at least one person here who's a world authority on it. But it also makes you a bit wary of adding your two cents' worth, because it has to be 100% accurate - you'll soon be put in your place if it isn't. But I do try to add what I can.

The other thing is that this site is sort of like Keith - do NOT try to keep up with its standards of knowledge, show-attendance, spending of time and money, or ownership of Stones-stuff - because you can't. Just enjoy from a safe distance!

Personally speaking I see that as a good thing, somehow. There were countless times when some of my posts were quickly corrected by some better informed users, which made me double check before posting anything.

I think some new users may feel intimidated by that behavior, but I've always felt very comfortable with that. We may bark sometimes, but we don't bite. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home