Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Stones Bar East Village NYC
Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: September 13, 2018 03:22

Re: New Stones Bar East Village NYC
Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: September 13, 2018 03:24

The Waiting on a Friend Bar Location

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 13, 2018 04:58

Pictures from the shoot here -

[evgrieve.com]

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 13, 2018 11:47

The place to be next year maybe smiling smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 13, 2018 16:52

If they play MSG then I will recommend the next door Mustang Harry pre and post shows, but sure a side trip to the East Village and St Marks Place is a must if you are in NYC. Right across the street of St Marks Place there used to be "Sticky Fingers Bakery", don't know if it is there still. They had some great hot chockolate.

Bjornulf

Date: September 13, 2018 17:33

Is it now open? Do they serve food?

I take my daughter to NYC every year as its her favorite city. We are going at the end of the month and would love to pop in and have a look.

I took her to this street 2 years ago and snapped a pic of her on the steps of the video shoot....Waiting on a Friend is her favorite Stones song - I teach my 9 year old the important things in life...

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 13, 2018 17:39

From the looks of their instagram page, it looks like they are catering to millennials. confused smiley
I will check it out and report back here.

Date: September 13, 2018 17:41

Let's hope they kept the stage there. Surely must be something for The IORR Band smoking smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 13, 2018 18:26

"Do ya think schillid is gonna post that story again about how he was there when they shot the WOAF video? "

Can you really ever go back ... ?

Shortly after I graduated from college, I moved to the East Village in NYC. My friend and classmate PK had also moved to NYC and he got a job as an assistant to a famous photographer. And when the Rolling Stones hired the famous photographer, suddenly my friend was on tour with the Stones! I could not believe it! I begged PK to tell me where the Stones were rehearsing in NYC. But he said that he was sworn to secrecy, and he wasn't allowed to tell.

One afternoon, the phone rang and it was PK calling. "Whatever it is that you're doing just drop it." he said, "Grab your camera and get over here to St. Mark's Bar and Grill now. The Rolling Stones are here shooting a video!" I ran out and sure enough, there they were: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, just hanging out on a stoop. It was their shoot for "Waiting On A Friend." Keith actually walked right by me. And I thought what I could possibly say to one of my guitar heroes, Keith Richards? I said simply, "Keith, can I shake your hand?" He came over and extended his right hand, while he ran his other hand through his perfectly messy hair.

Later, after it was dark, the Stones were taking a break on their tour bus, which was parked next to the bar. The door to the bus opened, and PK stepped out. He walked over to me, and he handed me a unusual-looking cigarette hand rolled with leopard-skin paper. It was still burning. He said it was from Keith. As I held it, I was torn. Should I save this or smoke this? I wondered. On one hand, I thought: Keith would want me to smoke it. On the other hand, if I saved it forever, it would make a great momento. I won't tell you which I chose...

Photos © schillid

© Google

St. Marks Place in New York City today

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-25 18:58 by schillid.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 13, 2018 19:37

It's just 30 yards from this building :

[www.google.fr]

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 13, 2018 19:46

Robert Plant on shooting location, 2012 (and in front of 'Physical Graffitea' coffee shop) :

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-13 19:47 by Massimo68.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 13, 2018 20:17

DandelionPowderman
Let's hope they kept the stage there. Surely must be something for The IORR Band smoking smiley

But...but...but Stones Place in Toronto!!! You may need a tour...

Date: September 13, 2018 20:57

SomeTorontoGirl
DandelionPowderman

But...but...but Stones Place in Toronto!!! You may need a tour...

Yep smoking smiley

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 25, 2018 08:56

schillid those are awesome shots, I love moments like that.

A friend was at Kings College working on a photographic assignment when David Bowie walked onto campus, his shots are amazing as he was using an CANON SLR, Bowie casually walking toward Simon up a tree lined driveway then past him, he was preparing to shoot for Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and the school was a location.

I must get copies of those, they're great.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 25, 2018 12:55

So cool and so awesome !!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2018 18:54

Massimo68
It's just 30 yards from this building :

[www.google.fr]

The building itself is in the beginning of video - Mick waiting for Keith:

And Keith strolling on to the scene...

Waiting on a Friend

schillid

"Do ya think schillid is gonna post that story again about how he was there when they shot the WOAF video? "

Can you really ever go back ... ?

PS - schillid always great to see you story and pics...looking forward to seeing it posted again next week. winking smiley grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-25 19:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: chrisvw ()
Date: September 26, 2018 20:37

we stopped in at this bar on monday. sadly, the stage area is now a storage room. there are some stones' references; the bar itself has quotes from stones' songs painted on; there's a "tattoo you" mick mural on one wall; and there's a few drinks named after stones' songs. but they play no stones' music; the bartender said that earlier some patrons had requested more stones' music be played, but the owners said no.

we were largely disappointed.

Date: September 27, 2018 00:10

Hairball
schillid always great to see you story and pics... looking forward to seeing it posted again next week.

Actually, it won't be until the week after next that these get re-posted.
Next week , I'm planning on re-posting my pics from crashing the Voodoo Lounge press conference in '94 on the pier in NYC...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-27 00:25 by schillid.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2018 00:32

schillid
Hairball
schillid always great to see you story and pics... looking forward to seeing it posted again next week.

Actually, it won't be until the week after next that these get re-posted.
Next week , I'm planning on re-posting my pics from crashing the Voodoo Lounge press conference in '94 on the pier in NYC...

smiling smiley

Hmmm...not sure I recall seeing those!
Looking froward to it, followed by the great Waiting on a Friend story/pics again. thumbs upwinking smiley

Posted by: nick ()
Date: September 27, 2018 01:26

chrisvw
we stopped in at this bar on monday. sadly, the stage area is now a storage room. there are some stones' references; the bar itself has quotes from stones' songs painted on; there's a "tattoo you" mick mural on one wall; and there's a few drinks named after stones' songs. but they play no stones' music; the bartender said that earlier some patrons had requested more stones' music be played, but the owners said no.

we were largely disappointed.

LOL, this thread is better than going to the new place in person.

Waiting on a Friend - New Stones Bar East Village NYC
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 27, 2018 12:14

spikenyc
Pictures from the shoot here -

[evgrieve.com]

love that vid

and so nice to read your story again, schillid

d.f

Date: October 1, 2018 19:55

Keith in the Doorway

Date: October 1, 2018 20:09

Watching Mick Passing By

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home