Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Cars, why were they never BIG in Europe?
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: September 16, 2018 07:33

grzegorz67

I remember enjoying them. JFK Stadium (?). I was 18 and watched the whole thing from start to finish - 16-17 hours. Noon BST with Status Quo to kick it off to 4.30am. The only bit I missed was Queen as we had dinner outside. Phil Collins played at BOTH stadia with a little help from Concorde.

You do realize that the Queen set from Live Aid is widely considered to be the best performance by anyone that day, on either stage - not to mention their greatest performance and/or performance in general of all time?
(I don’t necessarily agree with that assessment, but it is a rather popular sentiment that they blew everyone else off the stage that day).

Not your fault, I just find the unintentional back luck of that being the one band you missed a bit humorous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 07:35 by JMARKO.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 16, 2018 08:35

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Talking about making it big. Most band have a short span of success. Maybe 2-3 years. One or two hits and then they are off the radar. Very few bands survive more than a decade.
The Rolling Stones is an exception to the rule. Back to the question: If you want to make it big in Europe you can't decide not to tour here.

Elvis did pretty good over here? winking smiley

You know why he didn't tour Europe, or Japan, or Australia, don't you?

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 16, 2018 10:45

OK, I only read half of it...
Cars were huge in Norway at least.
Then you get the others.

Robbie Williams never did it in the US.
Dave Matthews not in Europe.

Mixed.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 16, 2018 11:07

JMARKO
grzegorz67

I remember enjoying them. JFK Stadium (?). I was 18 and watched the whole thing from start to finish - 16-17 hours. Noon BST with Status Quo to kick it off to 4.30am. The only bit I missed was Queen as we had dinner outside. Phil Collins played at BOTH stadia with a little help from Concorde.

You do realize that the Queen set from Live Aid is widely considered to be the best performance by anyone that day, on either stage - not to mention their greatest performance and/or performance in general of all time?
(I don’t necessarily agree with that assessment, but it is a rather popular sentiment that they blew everyone else off the stage that day).

Not your fault, I just find the unintentional back luck of that being the one band you missed a bit humorous.

Hate to say it. Queen at Live Aid. Best one ever, by any band/artist!
[www.youtube.com]

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 16, 2018 15:18

I thought that I have got one album of the Cars. And I have. It is the first one. Spread over time I will have listened to it approximately 6 or 7 times. It did not make any impression on me when I did. By now I don't remember anything at all. I therefore wonder about them described as great.

If I were to say great about some US-band from only a few years later, it will definitely be Sonic Youth. Still some further years later, the Pixies. More or less at the same time as the Pixies, there is also the band Come that I find highly attractive. However, those two last mentionned bands are a decade later than the Cars. But this thread made me one occasion to mention Come as a candidate to be seen at least as a semi-great band. For those who don't know Come, and I still am myself during the process of getting to know them, well worth to investigate.

Date: September 16, 2018 16:57

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Talking about making it big. Most band have a short span of success. Maybe 2-3 years. One or two hits and then they are off the radar. Very few bands survive more than a decade.
The Rolling Stones is an exception to the rule. Back to the question: If you want to make it big in Europe you can't decide not to tour here.

The colonel?

Date: September 16, 2018 17:00

TE
JMARKO
grzegorz67

Hate to say it. Queen at Live Aid. Best one ever, by any band/artist!
[www.youtube.com]

TE
Oslo

Great show, but some numbers were shite, imo.

It doesn't matter if Freddie was great when they play stuff like Radio Ga Ga...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 17, 2018 00:47

DandelionPowderman
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

The colonel?

Amazing, isn't it. Some misty guy named Dries van Kuik "forgot" to take a passport, when he was in a hurry to leave (escape from) the Netherlands on his way to the USA. He was nicknamed "the colonel", but didn't have to power to persuade the US army not to send Elvis to Germany. The rest is history.confused smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 17, 2018 22:31

OK, lets get back to the topic at hand....

The roads in Europe tend to be narrower and gas is more expensive, that is the main reason the cars were never that BIG in Europe.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 18, 2018 00:50

BluzDude
works both ways....a lot of the Brit pop era bands never made it big in the States, such as, Blur (had marginal success) Stone Roses, the Jam, Primal Scream more recently Kasabian & the Kaiser Chiefs...and I'm sure there are plenty more I never heard of.

One UK band I really liked back in the 70’s and had a small cult following in the US was Slade. Could not understand why they weren’t bigger .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2018 01:17

Could not understand why they weren’t bigger

Do you realise how silly they would have looked
strolling around Oakland if they'd have moved up to a 9" heel ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 18, 2018 01:27

I'm old enough to remember platform shoes and mid seventies fashion. It's easy to laugh at it now, but back then it was just fashion. Some even thought Slade were cool...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 18, 2018 07:32

A lot whether a band makes it big in a particular country comes down to a willingness to do the necessary work. Sure, a TV appearance might be a short cut, but there's no substitute for playing the gigs, schmoozing etc. to build a fanbase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-18 07:34 by ab.

Date: September 18, 2018 10:07

BluzDude
OK, lets get back to the topic at hand....

The roads in Europe tend to be narrower and gas is more expensive, that is the main reason the cars were never that BIG in Europe.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2018 10:18

What about a Skoda fitted with a Blown Hemi ..... ???????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 18, 2018 15:26

georgie48
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

The colonel?

Amazing, isn't it. Some misty guy named Dries van Kuik "forgot" to take a passport, when he was in a hurry to leave (escape from) the Netherlands on his way to the USA. He was nicknamed "the colonel", but didn't have to power to persuade the US army not to send Elvis to Germany. The rest is history.confused smiley

Always heard that Col. Parker was undocumented and was afraid he wouldn't be allowed back into the US if he left. Therefore, no Elvis tours of Europe (except army).

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 18, 2018 16:08

Elmo Lewis
georgie48
DandelionPowderman
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

The colonel?

Always heard that Col. Parker was undocumented and was afraid he wouldn't be allowed back into the US if he left. Therefore, no Elvis tours of Europe (except army).

I think Georgie was hinting that with his "forgot" smiling smiley

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 22, 2018 03:46

Rockman
Could not understand why they weren’t bigger

Do you realise how silly they would have looked
strolling around Oakland if they'd have moved up to a 9" heel ……..

Very Funny picture Rockman you forced me to retract my last statement.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 22, 2018 07:09

Because they were skin crawlingly American.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home