Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: fans of James Lee Burke and James Crumley?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 12, 2018 15:15

I bet there are some on IORR

Re: OT: fans of James Lee Burke and James Crumley?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 12, 2018 15:25

I've read a dozen or so of J L Burke's work, and enjoy their slow, description-rich pace. It has been a while since I've read one though, so might be time to pick up another.

I only discovered Crumley with 'Last Good Kiss' which I read in the summer and enjoyed very much. I'll actively look for some more of his.

Broadly in that genre I really love John D MacDonald, particularly his Travis McGee series. Intelligent mysteries with some prescient philosophical meanderings (concerning the environment and big business) from boat bum McGee.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 12, 2018 16:16

From one McDonald to another : I discovered Ross Macdonald this summer with The Moving Target. Loved it.

Do some of you read Don Westlake ?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 12, 2018 21:59

I've read a few by Burke but until today never heard of Crumley. Amazed that someone brought up Travis McGee. I've been around long enough to have started reading the McGee series when it first came about, looking forward to a new book every year. I've reread the series over the years - Travis' observations about some things seem more relevant than ever - and now am into listening to the audio book versions. Not crazy about the late Darren McGavin as the narrator for the audio McGee - McGavin seems to read a bit too fast for my taste. I got into Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer stuff also for awhile after seeing the Paul Newman flick "Harper". Somewhere on my agenda is listening to Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer audio series. Spillane and Mike Hammer is one of those guilty pleasures. Next time I go, I will check out Crumley at the local library, along with Burke.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 13, 2018 00:26

Started with "the Mexican Tree Duck" and was hooked on Crumley. This led me into Jon Lansdale as well - good tv series based on his characters is floating out there too. JLB has always been a good read and the Louisiana settings just add to the storyline. Second that on Westlake: witty, funny capers that make sense - they even translate well on film.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 13, 2018 01:18

Back again regarding Westlake. He wrote a great series under the pseudonym Richard Stark about the professional thief named Parker. "Point Blank" with Lee Marvin was one of the movies based on the Parker character. Well recommended series if you like what they call hard-boiled crime stories.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 13, 2018 13:54

i really enjoy james lee burke. not familiar with james crumley, will have to check him out. really like john sandford, too.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 13, 2018 19:00

Joe R.Lansdale. That boy can write.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: September 13, 2018 23:09

'Last Good Kiss' is great, "The Mexican Tree Duck" is stuck in booze, guns, get you lost but is great too.
Burke has a thing to mix characters and decaying whereabouts, with some creepy figures, for instance the Crustacean Man (a body of a bum rotting in the swamp).
I started The Devil's Punchbowl by Greg Iles, but found it too depressing. Nothing to do with the writer, he may be just too good in his depictions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-13 23:20 by The Joker.

Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: September 14, 2018 16:18

I discovered James Lee Burke after my friend, who is a crime writer, recommended him. I've read more or less all of his novels. His main character is ex- NOPD Detective Dave Robicheaux who ends up as a Deputy Sheriff in New Iberia. His sidekick is his ex-Detective partner now Private Investigator Clete Purcel.

He also writes about Billy Bob Holland and Hackberry Holland in different series'.

Best reads are:-

A Stained White Radiance
Purple Cane Road
Jolie Blon's Bounce
The Tin Roof Blowdown (My personal favourite)

I believe he is the best in the business and to my mind his beautiful writing makes the scenes and characters come to life.

Not yet read James Crumley but am going to.

Enjoy!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 21:41

I have no idea how this question arose on this board, but yes, very much so, to both authors. Crumley is a lesser known with an almost cult following: hard edged and drug fueled.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 14, 2018 23:47

I love the Robicheux (sp) novels, such a richly drawn character. JLB's descriptions of place are also wonderfully evocative.

I enjoyed Crumley's 'Last Good Kiss' (the only one of his I've read), but it's certainly a nihilistic read.

Anyone else out there down with Travis McGee?

Date: September 15, 2018 00:53

Talking about connexions...
Just found this in James Lee Burke's Creole Belle, page 97

« So far the only person who had shown any knowledge about Caruso was Count Carbona, aka Baron Belladonna, who had freeze-dried his head with Owsley purple at the Stones concert in Altamont, where the decade of the flower children ended and the music flew away in a helicopter, leaving a dead man on the stage and outlaw bikers beating concertgoers with pool cues. »

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 15, 2018 14:20

Don Winslow is very good too. kind of old school hard edge but with modern twists. gritty is the word i was looking for....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1497
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home