Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Nicky Hopkins sessions
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 6, 2018 07:57

Hamish Stuart was talking about Nicky Hopins at Flowers In The Dirt session with Paul McCartney.
It's coming back to me his brilliant works.

Jigsaw Puzzle
Nicky adds more than color to this track. His signature rhythm part is evident, building up, dueling with Charlie Watts on drums, providing a distinctive backbeat.
Brian Jones plays some of his best slide guitar on this song.
Nicky Hopkins played on quite a few Stones songs, starting with “Cool Calm Collected” and including “Gimme Shelter”, “She’s a Rainbow”, “Child of the Moon”,
“You Got the Silver”, and “Sway”. Nicky also accompanied the Stones on tour from 1971 to 1973.

Revolution
Nicky delivers the absolutely definitive best rock ‘n’ roll piano solo in the middle of this popular Beatles single (the most popular single of all time — the flip side of “Hey Jude”).
Nicky was brought in especially for this piano overdub. George Harrison was later to return the favor by playing on Nicky Hopkins’ solo album Tin Man Was a Dreamer (1973).

Sunny Afternoon
Nicky Hopkins plays both piano and the melodica solo on the Kinks’ hit “Sunny Afternoon”.
He started playing with the Kinks on the Face To Face album and also played on other Kinks tunes such as “Waterloo Sunset”.
The Kinks wrote “Session Man” about Nicky.

Re: Nicky Hopkins sessions
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2018 09:15

Don't remember reading about Hamish Stuart talking about Nicky Hopkins, do you have a link ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 6, 2018 10:44

gotdablouse
Don't remember reading about Hamish Stuart talking about Nicky Hopkins, do you have a link ?

According to Stones Professor Mike Koshitani's interview:
"Paul called my agent from London.
When I went to Paul's studio in East Sussex, Nicky Hopkins was playing the piano and drummer Chris Whitten was there, too.
We were jamming all afternoon."

[www.barks.jp] -Sorry, but I won't provide this in English.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 6, 2018 11:35

Toru A
gotdablouse

When I went to Paul's studio in East Sussex, Nicky Hopkins was playing the piano and drummer Chris Whitten was there, too.

It was rather misleading to say Hamish Stuart was talking about Nicky Hopkins. He simply mentioned his name.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 6, 2018 11:44

Toru A

Jigsaw Puzzle
Nicky adds more than color to this track. His signature rhythm part is evident, building up, dueling with Charlie Watts on drums, providing a distinctive backbeat.
Nicky Hopkins played on quite a few Stones songs, starting with “Cool Calm Collected”

Its Keith on slide on JSP. And I still do not believe Hopkins did a Stones session before 1967, so in my opinion it is Jack Nitzsche on piano (edit: on Cool Calm Collected).

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 13:16 by Mathijs.

Date: September 6, 2018 11:59

Why do people still claim that Brian played the slide on Jig Saw Puzzle? The playing style is totally different.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 6, 2018 12:12

Toru A
gotdablouse

ok that I remember, either from a Wings Fun Club magazine or from the FITD booklet ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 6, 2018 12:49

I bought Marc Bolan's "The Beginning of Doves" in 1973.
I didn't know Nicky played on that album about a year before She's a Rainbow.

Memento Mori.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 6, 2018 12:53

Mathijs
Toru A

Jigsaw Puzzle
Nicky Hopkins played on quite a few Stones songs, starting with “Cool Calm Collected”

Its Keith on slide on JSP. And I still do not believe Hopkins did a Stones session before 1967, so in my opinion it is Jack Nitzsche on piano.

Mathijs

So when was JSP recorded?

Date: September 6, 2018 13:02

Koen
Mathijs
Toru A

Jigsaw Puzzle

Its Keith on slide on JSP. And I still do not believe Hopkins did a Stones session before 1967, so in my opinion it is Jack Nitzsche on piano.

Mathijs

So when was JSP recorded?

March & July 1968

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 6, 2018 13:15

So it could be Nicky on piano? Just confused about Mathijs’ 1967 comment.

Date: September 6, 2018 13:17

Koen
So it could be Nicky on piano? Just confused about Mathijs’ 1967 comment.

I meant: on JSP it is Keith on slide (and of course Hopkins on piano), on CCC it is Jack Nitzsche on piano, as Hopkins did not do a session with the Stones before 1967.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2018 14:33

DandelionPowderman
Why do people still claim that Brian played the slide on Jig Saw Puzzle? The playing style is totally different.

It's the same slide style as on Monkey Man. Keith all the way.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: September 6, 2018 14:49

Hopkins did sedions previously with the Who. Is'nt it?

Date: September 6, 2018 14:59

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 15:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 6, 2018 15:51

Between The Buttons

The last of the albums to be released with a different track listing in America and Britain, “Let’s Spend the Night Together” and “Ruby Tuesday” were both included having been released as a double a-side in America.

With the controversy over the lyrics of the former song, most notably when Ed Sullivan banned the Stones from singing ‘night’ and subsequent black listing by many American radio stations it only made number fifty five. Nothing could stop “Ruby Tuesday” and it went to number one in early 1967. In Britain the two songs were also released as a single that made number three. Both the US and the UK version of the album was the last to be ‘produced’ by Andrew Loog Oldham. “Something Happened To Me Yesterday” features Brian Jones on sax and trombone. Regular keyboard players Jack Nitzsche and Ian Stewart are joined by Nicky Hopkins, who plays piano on several tracks, the start of his lengthy spell as a sideman.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 6, 2018 16:52

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-10 18:20 by schillid.

Date: September 6, 2018 16:55

runaway
Between The Buttons

The last of the albums to be released with a different track listing in America and Britain, “Let’s Spend the Night Together” and “Ruby Tuesday” were both included having been released as a double a-side in America.

With the controversy over the lyrics of the former song, most notably when Ed Sullivan banned the Stones from singing ‘night’ and subsequent black listing by many American radio stations it only made number fifty five. Nothing could stop “Ruby Tuesday” and it went to number one in early 1967. In Britain the two songs were also released as a single that made number three. Both the US and the UK version of the album was the last to be ‘produced’ by Andrew Loog Oldham. “Something Happened To Me Yesterday” features Brian Jones on sax and trombone. Regular keyboard players Jack Nitzsche and Ian Stewart are joined by Nicky Hopkins, who plays piano on several tracks, the start of his lengthy spell as a sideman.

And on clarinet.

Hopkins is not on BTB. His first session with the Stones was in 1967.

Date: September 6, 2018 17:09

DandelionPowderman
runaway
Between The Buttons

And on clarinet.

I got my info from: www.rollingstones.com

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: September 6, 2018 18:40

Nico has the first session for Nicky Hopkins listed
as 13th December 1966.

Date: September 6, 2018 18:54

Kingbeebuzz
Nico has the first session for Nicky Hopkins listed
as 13th December 1966.

Nicky recorded with the Stones for the first time in November and December. However, in September he recorded with A Stone, Brian Jones. Jones was composing, arranging, and producing the soundtrack for A Degree Of Murder, an avant-garde German crime noir starring Jones’ girlfriend (at the time), Anita Pallenberg.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 6, 2018 21:46

Toru A
Hamish Stuart was talking about Nicky Hopins at Flowers In The Dirt session with Paul McCartney.
It's coming back to me his brilliant works.

Jigsaw Puzzle
Nicky Hopkins played on quite a few Stones songs, starting with “Cool Calm Collected” and including “Gimme Shelter”, “She’s a Rainbow”, “Child of the Moon”,
“You Got the Silver”, and “Sway”. Nicky also accompanied the Stones on tour from 1971 to 1973.

Revolution
Nicky delivers the absolutely definitive best rock ‘n’ roll piano solo in the middle of this popular Beatles single (the most popular single of all time — the flip side of “Hey Jude”).
Nicky was brought in especially for this piano overdub. George Harrison was later to return the favor by playing on Nicky Hopkins’ solo album Tin Man Was a Dreamer (1973).

Sunny Afternoon
Nicky Hopkins plays both piano and the melodica solo on the Kinks’ hit “Sunny Afternoon”.
He started playing with the Kinks on the Face To Face album and also played on other Kinks tunes such as “Waterloo Sunset”.
The Kinks wrote “Session Man” about Nicky.

What a beautiful post, and thread. as gracious as was the man.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 10, 2018 17:26

Came across this. If already posted, please, oh powers that be, meld with the other post.

[www.allmusic.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 10, 2018 18:17

[www.facebook.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 10, 2018 18:21

DandelionPowderman
runaway
Between The Buttons

And on clarinet.

The brass on Something is not by Jones, but by hired session musicians. Hopkins first session with the Stones, according to himself, were in May 1967 when he was hired for She's a Rainbow and We Love You.

Mathijs

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 10, 2018 18:44

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-11 16:17 by Silver Dagger.

Date: September 10, 2018 20:25

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
runaway
Between The Buttons

And on clarinet.

The brass on Something is not by Jones, but by hired session musicians. Hopkins first session with the Stones, according to himself, were in May 1967 when he was hired for She's a Rainbow and We Love You.

Mathijs

In Bill Wymans book: Rolling with the Stones, Nicky hopkins is credited on piano!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 10, 2018 22:28

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
runaway
Between The Buttons

And on clarinet.

Mathijs

Interesting. On Nzentgraf it says Line-up ‘Something Happened...’:
MJ (voc)/
KR (voc, gtr)/
BJ (sax, tb, clarinet)/
BW (bass)/CW (dr)/
Nicky Hopkins (p; unsure)

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 11, 2018 09:35

Unveiling of the Nicky Hopkins memorial bench in Perivale park:
[www.perivalepark.london]

Date: September 11, 2018 12:29

mtaylor
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
runaway
Between The Buttons

And on clarinet.

Mathijs

Interesting. On Nzentgraf it says Line-up ‘Something Happened...’:
MJ (voc)/
KR (voc, gtr)/
BJ (sax, tb, clarinet)/
BW (bass)/CW (dr)/
Nicky Hopkins (p; unsure)

It's the Mike Leander Orchestra.

I think Brian does play the sax, as this is the only brass instrument that sounds like it is not played by a professional. All other instruments are played by seasoned professionals. Also, they recorded on 4 track, so overdubbing a brass section instrument by instrument is virtually impossible.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-11 14:42 by Mathijs.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1604
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home