Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: David Crosby
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 3, 2018 01:14

I just saw David Crosby at the venue Olavshallen, Trondheim, Norway. -A mixed pleasure. A lot of the songs, both old and new, had a lot of weird jazz influence, as many of you probably know. "Long Time Coming" was fine. The new song "Sky Trails" was fine. "The Lee Shore" opened part two of the gig and was fine. The song from 1982 that Jackson Browne persuaded him to finish because it was so good, was really so-so, and could stand as the evening`s least common denominator. A song like "Deja Vu" should be treated with the utmost delicacy, but the jazz elements were heavily challenging the audience`s patience, IMO. "Eight Miles High" was lackluster indeed. I had expected a bit more of "Wooden Ships". I remember it as a tight song with angelic voices. Now it was loose and a bit more heavy, with a lot of solo spots threatening to tear the song apart. The next song, "I Almost Cut My Hair" made up for it and was excellent. -This from the top of my head a couple of hours after the concert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-21 14:24 by bv.

Re: OT: David Crosby, - hmm...
Date: September 3, 2018 01:22

crosby has been on a roll the last few years with great albums

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 3, 2018 13:26

keefriffhard4life

Yes, he certainly seems to be outdoing many of his contempories in terms of output and quality.His albums aren't huge sellers of course...but does that really matter?
He doesn't need the others (SNY).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 3, 2018 15:18

Hum...mixed indeed, I'm catching him on Sunday in Paris from a good seat in the front. Hadn't gotten tix originally but quite liked the vids on YT and well dude's a legend ;-) Oh and I really loved the "What's Broken" song from his 2014 LP, too bad he's not playing it anymore...

Almost cut my Hair is down in that list [www.youtube.com] - what's with these idiots who put these fake links, can't Youtube crack down them, it's really ridiculous !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 3, 2018 16:12

Croz has always been a jazzer. You can hear it as far back as this 1964 demo of "Everybody's Been Burned."

[www.youtube.com]

When I first got into CSNY, sometime in the late 1970s, Neil was my favorite and David was my least favorite. I think I can now say that the exact opposite is true. Not sure why that is. Maybe Neil spoke to me as an angry, young, girlfriend-less "loner" while David's is the music of a somewhat wistful, but more or less contented and domesticated middle age. I'm seeing him in November, my first time seeing him play a solo concert since 1981 and the first time seeing him in any capacity at all since 2004. I'm a little disappointed by his current setlist, about two-thirds of which consists of songs taken from the C & N, CSN, and CSNY catalog. I was hoping he'd dig a little deeper into his solo material, but I guess he knows what works and what people want to hear. The fact that he's even still alive, much less performing, at the age of 77 is remarkable, and I feel very fortunate that I'll be getting the chance to see him and say "thank you" one last time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-03 16:31 by tatters.

Date: September 3, 2018 16:28

noughties
The song from 1982 that Jackson Browne persuaded him to finish because it was so good, was really so-so, and could stand as the evening`s least common denominator.

Sounds like you're talking about "Delta" from the CSN album Daylight Again. This was written during the depths of Crosby's days on the crack pipe, and was the first song he'd completed in several years. He played it at the 1981 solo club gig I attended, more than a year before it was released.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-03 16:34 by tatters.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 3, 2018 16:29

I'll be catching his tour when he kicks off the next leg of it in Seattle, Nov 2nd.
Looking forward to it.

For those that do the Twitter, he is one of my favorite artists that I follow.
Lot of Q&A's with interesting, albeit brief answers, comments and insights.
[twitter.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 3, 2018 16:30

doo doo doo doo dit
did doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo dit
dit doo doo doo doo
ny the time ah got to woodstock
the lines were pretty long
i'm talking backstage babygirl
and not that stinky throng
i can.....

ooh a squirrel!! i LOVE squirrels!!
i'll be back. !!

Date: September 3, 2018 17:10

jlowe
keefriffhard4life

Yes, he certainly seems to be outdoing many of his contempories in terms of output and quality.His albums aren't huge sellers of course...but does that really matter?

What's interesting about this is that during the years when he was writing his best songs, roughly 1968 to 1975, he wasn't particularly prolific, but he sure is cranking them out now. It's the opposite of what usually takes place. You'd think that as people see the end nearing, they'd want to get as much of their stuff down on tape as possible, but this is rarely the case. If anything, artists in their 60s and 70s have longer and longer periods of inactivity between albums. I guess there's many factors at play here, among them the issue of Why bother writing and recording new music when no one is going to buy it or want to hear it played live?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-03 17:12 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 3, 2018 19:48

I recommend his book from 1988 Long Time Gone: The Autobiography of David Crosby - haven't read it since then, but it left an impression.
From his lifelong love of sailing, growing up in L.A. and Santa Barbara, hitting the bottom of the barrel of heavy drug addiction, to his recovery (and lots of rock and roll)...somehow he survived.

Long Time Gone: The Autobiography of David Crosby

Date: September 3, 2018 22:56

tatters
jlowe
keefriffhard4life

What's interesting about this is that during the years when he was writing his best songs, roughly 1968 to 1975, he wasn't particularly prolific, but he sure is cranking them out now. It's the opposite of what usually takes place. You'd think that as people see the end nearing, they'd want to get as much of their stuff down on tape as possible, but this is rarely the case. If anything, artists in their 60s and 70s have longer and longer periods of inactivity between albums. I guess there's many factors at play here, among them the issue of Why bother writing and recording new music when no one is going to buy it or want to hear it played live?

You are quite right. An exception might be David Bowie, though of course he was relatively young (by today's standards when he sadly died. But after a long lay off, he came back with two strong albums.

I'm not sure if you can compare Artists (Painters that is) with musicians..but its interesting to note that age doesn't seem to slow down their creative output...though the quality is matter of judgement.
Certainly Picasso was very prolific in his 'twilight years'.

Date: September 4, 2018 00:20

Hairball
I recommend his book from 1988 Long Time Gone: The Autobiography of David Crosby - haven't read it since then, but it left an impression.
From his lifelong love of sailing, growing up in L.A. and Santa Barbara, hitting the bottom of the barrel of heavy drug addiction, to his recovery (and lots of rock and roll)...somehow he survived.

Long Time Gone: The Autobiography of David Crosby

Thanks for the tip, interestingly he published "Since Then" this summer that picks up where LTG left off ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 4, 2018 00:36

tatters
Croz has always been a jazzer. You can hear it as far back as this 1964 demo of "Everybody's Been Burned."

[www.youtube.com]

When I first got into CSNY, sometime in the late 1970s, Neil was my favorite and David was my least favorite. I think I can now say that the exact opposite is true. Not sure why that is. Maybe Neil spoke to me as an angry, young, girlfriend-less "loner" while David's is the music of a somewhat wistful, but more or less contented and domesticated middle age. I'm seeing him in November, my first time seeing him play a solo concert since 1981 and the first time seeing him in any capacity at all since 2004. I'm a little disappointed by his current setlist, about two-thirds of which consists of songs taken from the C & N, CSN, and CSNY catalog. I was hoping he'd dig a little deeper into his solo material, but I guess he knows what works and what people want to hear. The fact that he's even still alive, much less performing, at the age of 77 is remarkable, and I feel very fortunate that I'll be getting the chance to see him and say "thank you" one last time.

When I saw him in March, 2016, I felt the opposite, that I wished he had more from the "C & N, CSN, and CSNY catalog." He may have changed the setlist since then to reflect more what people want. In any case, I was pleased with the show.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 4, 2018 17:37

tatters
noughties
The song from 1982 that Jackson Browne persuaded him to finish because it was so good, was really so-so, and could stand as the evening`s least common denominator.

Sounds like you're talking about "Delta" from the CSN album Daylight Again. This was written during the depths of Crosby's days on the crack pipe, and was the first song he'd completed in several years. He played it at the 1981 solo club gig I attended, more than a year before it was released.

[www.youtube.com]

great song

Date: September 4, 2018 18:43

tatters

[www.youtube.com]

I had a similar feeling about CSN&Y. Never could stand Crosby. He stood for everything I hate about hippies. Plus I felt that he somehow was always in the right place to coast on the brilliance of others. Now I find that "...Remember my Name.." is a very good album, and am impressed by this late flash of energy. "Lighthouse' is really good album.

Date: September 7, 2018 18:06

His last song of the evening was "Ohio". I thought; "What is this?" Is it a hipster song? The trouble is, much of today`s music is so 60/70s sounding. -Nah, t`was a song by Graham Nash...

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 7, 2018 18:22

...hipster song...?

Original version:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 7, 2018 19:22

And it was written solely by Neil Young............

Date: September 7, 2018 19:29

yeah what an odd comment about the song "ohio"

Date: September 7, 2018 23:55

Odd or not, this is was what I was thinking. I think I explain why, and "to explain it any further would be difficult without sounding like bullshit." That said, it`s interesting to read that it was written by Neil Young. You could say it sounds like Neil Young too, imo.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 8, 2018 02:00

I thought maybe Crosby had rearranged it or something, but his 2018 version of "Ohio" sure sounds a lot like it has in concert for the past 48 years (electric band performances)...always faithful to the studio version.

video: [youtu.be]

Date: September 14, 2018 19:23

Terrific show in Paris last Sunday ;-)

DC : "...I'm Old and Corny and I believe in Democracy..."

My 120th concert but my first time seeing a member of the legendary CSN&Y band after a great seat popped up at face value on a fan to fan resale site (i.e. NOT on TM's "verified resale"...). Had been a casual fan over the years and have been following Crosby more closely since the great "Croz" album in 2014 with the haunting "What's Broken" that he no longer plays unfortunately. Anyway, great show with a man whose voice and spirit seems to have been untouched by the years, the substance abuse and the trials. Very "refreshing" in a way compared to so many of his contemporaries that "coast" and seem stuck in their "persona". Here's a guy who doesn't seem to give a toss about what others think and more power to him! Great voice, great band, great songs, what's not to like !

My recording is on Trader's Den and here are some clickable pictures :

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 19:26 by gotdablouse.

Date: September 15, 2018 18:22

-Hmm, thanks for your report. I reckognize a whole lot from the Trondheim concert; the set list, the size of the venue, the age of the audience, DCs own sign of the time to go to bed. I`m a casual fan myself. There were 2 songs from the 70s Crosby & Nash partnership; "Naked In The Rain" and "Homeward Through The Haze". In never fell in love with those albums, but those were the better tracks. I don`t like jazzrock and too much ambient feel. My favourites from the gig will reflect my taste: "Guinevere", "What Are Their Names", "Long Time Gone", "The Lee Shore", "Sky Trails" and "Almost Cut My Hair".

"Deja Vu" was too jazzy, "Wooden Ships" too noisy( more acustic guitars, please), "Eight Miles High" was just an average rock tune, and "Delta" caracterized the general impression of the whole concert, as said in my opening post.

Date: September 16, 2018 22:38

Yeah I guess the concert would be a bit hard to enjoy if you're not into jazz/fusion, I'm not a huge fan but I don't mind listening to it from time to time, a bit of a novelty I suppose. It helps of course that Pevar is a monster on guitar and can make his instrument wail like nobody's business. I also found Croz quite touching and really the free spirit, something that you only read about in books. I wasn't really expecting that TBH.

--------------

Date: September 17, 2018 02:17

Yeah, he was really a free spirit, something that is rare these days. Norwegian newspaper called him vital for his 77 years.

Date: September 20, 2018 14:46

Just read...ANOTHER new album of originals coming out from Croz next month.
Come on Mick and Keith!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 20, 2018 15:19

Eight miles high is very groovy on this tour!!! Fantastic!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 21, 2018 03:28

Love the song "Ohio." (Lived in Ohio most of my adult life.) Also would enjoy hearing "Long Time Gone."

I'm going to hear Graham Nash in concert this fall.
I appreciate Neil Young most out of the four.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 22, 2018 21:12

Being in Washington state, where we have been recreationally legal for some time now, I must say I am looking forward to checking out Croz's next release cool smiley

[twitter.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1807
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home