Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Your favorite live version of Start Me Up is?
Date: August 29, 2018 14:09

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
The '89/'90 versions are good but a bit too clean sounding. I like the bluesy and less hysteric vibe it had on the Bridges to Babylon-tour, St. Louis '97 is a great version.

Atlantic City is NOT clean-sounding (that's why it's so good).

Yea you're right the guitars are not clean sounding on the Atlantic version. I was more thinking of SMU from Tokyo 1990 and Live at the Max etc.

Yeah, they sound very dry indeed. They must have changed amps after the US-leg. Didn't they have Boogies and Cervin Vegas in the US?

Date: August 29, 2018 14:10

Father Ted
If they ever release an expanded Tattoo You, I'd love to hear one of the alternative versions of SMU.

The acoustic version is a gem.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 29, 2018 14:28

Flashpoint version for me. Maybe it's atlantic city with great ronnie-solo overdub

Date: August 29, 2018 14:30

deardoctor
Flashpoint version for me. Maybe it's atlantic city with great ronnie-solo overdub

It's from Death Valley Stadium, Clemson. That's a good version, too.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: August 29, 2018 14:50

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
The '89/'90 versions are good but a bit too clean sounding. I like the bluesy and less hysteric vibe it had on the Bridges to Babylon-tour, St. Louis '97 is a great version.

Yea you're right the guitars are not clean sounding on the Atlantic version. I was more thinking of SMU from Tokyo 1990 and Live at the Max etc.

Yeah, they sound very dry indeed. They must have changed amps after the US-leg. Didn't they have Boogies and Cervin Vegas in the US?

As far as I know Keith was playing two Fender Twin and two Marshall Heads on the whole tour. Ronnie and Mick played Mesa Boogie stacks on the whole tour.

Date: August 29, 2018 15:03

RockingLonestar
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

As far as I know Keith was playing two Fender Twin and two Marshall Heads on the whole tour. Ronnie and Mick played Mesa Boogie stacks on the whole tour.

According to Mathijs (I think) there was some switching back and forth - and I think a Cervin Vega-head was mentioned.

Thanks for reminding me about the Marshall-heads, though. I knew, but had forgotten smiling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 29, 2018 15:50

Although I don't like the 89/90-Vegas-tour, in my opinion the best versions are to be found there, since Ronnie used to play very good solos during this tour on SMU. Good examples are Toronto 89 and Atlantic City 89. Later on I think: What is Ronnie doing on his guitar during Start Me Up? The later the years, the more the solos are messed up ...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 29, 2018 17:15

This one with a Swedish comedian, Robert Gustavsson, from a charity. He nails it!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 29, 2018 17:36

DandelionPowderman
Father Ted
If they ever release an expanded Tattoo You, I'd love to hear one of the alternative versions of SMU.

The acoustic version is a gem.

Sounds good! Have any of these versions surfaced on boots?

Date: August 29, 2018 17:36

Gustavsson is awesome! Love his work thumbs up

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 29, 2018 18:58

thrak
Barcelona 90 with Keith's kick in front of the public when he walked on stage

I'm watching Atlantic City now (thanks for link). What an incredible performance. Keith's solos were just incredible. He was on top with his playing. It Shoud be released on From The Vault series

Yeah its brilliant with so many new songs on it, Keith back then was almost the equivalent for showmanship as Mick, you can almost see them trying harder to outdo each other lol. Keith out plays Mick with charm and smiles, Mick tries to out perform Keith with grit and determination , just gotta love them, and when you look close at it they love and respect each other for their contribution to the shows. it's a supportive relationship, i think the Mick camp and the Keith camp on iorr miss out that fact.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 29, 2018 21:13

DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

According to Mathijs (I think) there was some switching back and forth - and I think a Cervin Vega-head was mentioned.

Thanks for reminding me about the Marshall-heads, though. I knew, but had forgotten smiling smiley
DP, do you know which Marshall amp heads he used ?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 29, 2018 21:18

I liked it on the 86' Dirty Work Tour. It was tightened up compared to 81-82, but not as slick and polished as 89.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-29 21:18 by ryanpow.

Date: August 29, 2018 21:30

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

This is the best pic I have here. Hard to decipher smiling smiley

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: August 29, 2018 23:19

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

This is the best pic I have here. Hard to decipher smiling smiley

Here is a a bit better picture of the Marshall amps:
[goo.gl]

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: August 29, 2018 23:57

Looks like JTM 45s or Superleads. Although I find the shape of the control-panel opening a little oddly shaped. Too oval "corners" if you see what I mean. Could be the light and / or picture quality of course.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-30 00:17 by audun-eg.

Date: August 30, 2018 14:59

RobertJohnson
Although I don't like the 89/90-Vegas-tour, in my opinion the best versions are to be found there, since Ronnie used to play very good solos during this tour on SMU. Good examples are Toronto 89 and Atlantic City 89. Later on I think: What is Ronnie doing on his guitar during Start Me Up? The later the years, the more the solos are messed up ...

Messed up "Start Me Up" more often in the later years,yes ..... but not always.

Date: August 30, 2018 15:05

Ronnie uses SMU, like Keith uses SFTD and S: To showboat and interact with the audience, rather than laying down a perfect solo.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 31, 2018 01:09

One of their finest because of what they make of it rythmically and lyrically, the song is a stroke of genius. People who don't get the song don't really get the Stones IMHO. Start Me Up could only have been written by Jagger/Richards. Same with Dice, Brown Sugar or Flash to name a few others.

The studio is the best but there are so many great live versions, my favourite is probably Parken Copenhagen 2007. Keith was determined to shut a certain journalistic c**t's mouth up…

smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2018 01:10

Ronnie's underneath playing, he does these particular rolling fills, especially in the Atlantic City version, is excellent on the 1989-90 versions of SMU.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 31, 2018 13:44

MadMax
One of their finest because of what they make of it rythmically and lyrically, the song is a stroke of genius. People who don't get the song don't really get the Stones IMHO. Start Me Up could only have been written by Jagger/Richards. Same with Dice, Brown Sugar or Flash to name a few others.

The studio is the best but there are so many great live versions, my favourite is probably Parken Copenhagen 2007. Keith was determined to shut a certain journalistic c**t's mouth up…

smileys with beer

Indeed, this is so true. For comparison, listen to The Cult's Love Removal Machine and see how the chord pattern is broadly similar but the Jagger/Richards magic just ain't there.

Date: August 31, 2018 14:30

Father Ted
MadMax

smileys with beer

Indeed, this is so true. For comparison, listen to The Cult's Love Removal Machine and see how the chord pattern is broadly similar but the Jagger/Richards magic just ain't there.

That's an understatement smiling smiley

It's a blatant rip off. However, they changed the rest: The tempo, the groove, the rhythm, the bass.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 31, 2018 18:18

ryanpow
I liked it on the 86' Dirty Work Tour. It was tightened up compared to 81-82, but not as slick and polished as 89.

??????there was no 1986 DW tour..
Jeroen

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: August 31, 2018 18:23

I believe that was an attempt at humour there Spock.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 31, 2018 18:45

Twickenham 2018 is my favorite live version of ‘Start Me Up’
other than that,
it’s not a song I go to.

Date: August 31, 2018 19:05

corriecas
ryanpow

Jeroen

They didn't play it in 1985, either.. (that year they did play live winking smiley )

Date: September 1, 2018 17:56

DandelionPowderman
Father Ted
MadMax

smileys with beer

That's an understatement smiling smiley

It's a blatant rip off. However, they changed the rest: The tempo, the groove, the rhythm, the bass.

I've never heard the similarity of Love Removal Machine and Start Me Up. I understand what it's about but there's really nothing similar.

Later on Billy certainly lifted the riff to UOTN for Dirty Little Rockstar. It's HILARIOUS.

Although the demo of Love Removal Machine sounds nothing like either finished - and similar sounding - version, the two finished versions of Wild Flower are completely different, with the ELECTRIC version, thanks to Rick Rubin, sounding like they essentially covered AC/DC's Rock'N'Roll Singer. The original PEACE version sounds nothing at all like the ELECTRIC version.

Date: September 1, 2018 17:58

DandelionPowderman
corriecas
ryanpow

Jeroen

They didn't play it in 1985, either.. (that year they did play live winking smiley )

As I recall on the 86 DIRTY WORK tour, they played Start Me Up inverted. What really blew my mind was how they opened with Love Is Strong.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 1, 2018 23:57

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
corriecas
ryanpow

Jeroen

As I recall on the 86 DIRTY WORK tour, they played Start Me Up inverted. What really blew my mind was how they opened with Love Is Strong.

I quite liked the 12' long reggae jam they did of it on the 1792 tour.
Off course, it was just a very early demo, back then...

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 2, 2018 00:22

I really like the hyde park version, Ronnie does a great solo, Ronnie plays very well on this version.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home