Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OK, for All You Ya Yas and Gimme Shelter Film Experts Out There
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 26, 2018 05:49

I have a question:

MSG November 27-28, 1969 (were those the dates, and wasn't there more than one show on one of the days?) --

so, which shows were filmed by the Maysles Bros (all 3?) and which shows ended up with actual footage in the film and which shows had one or more songs on Ya Yas?

if you care to offer more specifics in your replies, that is fine too.

I will tell you why I need this information after I get some replies. Thanks to any who reply.

plexi

Re: OK, for All You Ya Yas and Gimme Shelter Film Experts Out There
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 26, 2018 05:52

timbernardis
I have a question:

MSG November 27-28, 1969 (were those the dates, and wasn't there more than one show on one of the days?) --

so, which shows were filmed by the Maysles Bros (all 3?) and which shows ended up with actual footage in the film and which shows had one or more songs on Ya Yas?

if you care to offer more specifics in your replies, that is fine too.

I will tell you why I need this information after I get some replies. Thanks to any who reply.

plexi

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: August 26, 2018 06:16

OK thanks, I will read that carefully. But an initial question might be: Wikipedia is notorious for being "unregulated" and errors, it is not "peer reviewed" as a journal would be, not reviewed by experts before articles are published, and anyone can put anything up without review by known experts. People such as many of you.

So, what do any of YOU think about the accuracy of the contents in the Ya Yas wikepedia entry? Or what corrections might you have?

But, having asked that, I don't mean to get overly hung up on a overall review of the Wikepedia entry, maybe just those parts that deal with my original questions. But I guess, go ahead if you want to. All of it would be of interest.

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-26 06:21 by timbernardis.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 26, 2018 06:35

timbernardis
OK thanks, I will read that carefully. But an initial question might be: Wikipedia is notorious for being "unregulated" and errors, it is not "peer reviewed" as a journal would be, not reviewed by experts before articles are published, and anyone can put anything up without review by known experts. People such as many of you.

So, what do any of YOU think about the accuracy of the contents in the Ya Yas wikepedia entry? Or what corrections might you have?

But, having asked that, I don't mean to get overly hung up on a overall review of the Wikepedia entry, maybe just those parts that deal with my original questions. But I guess, go ahead if you want to. All of it would be of interest.

plexi

Ok.....try this thread if it feels more thoroughly vetted ----------
[iorr.org]

Date: August 26, 2018 08:44

the thread is 16 pages of a lot of detail, and I will review it soon, or at least parts of it.

But what about what the song footage on Gimme Shelter -- what dates and shows were they from?

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2018 09:05

Ok Tim …. now you can go on the Ya Ya's quiz show ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 26, 2018 09:11

Go to Nico Zentgraf's brilliant page
[www.nzentgraf.de]

701206A 6th December: New York City, Plaza Theater. Premiere of the movie Gimme
Shelter. Directors: Albert and David Maysles & Charlotte Zwerin. Incl.
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -New York City 28.11.69, 1st show
- Satisfaction (MJ/KR) -New York City 28.11.69, 1st & 2nd show (spliced together)
- You Gotta Move (Fred McDowellRev. Gary Davis) -Muscle Shoals Studios,
Alabama 12/69, part only
- Wild Horses (MJ/KR) - Muscle Shoals Studios, Alabama l2/69, part only
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR)- Muscle Shoals Studios, Alabama 12/69, part only
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson) -New York City, 27. or 28.11.69 (soundtrack
is from Baltimore 26.11.69)
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -New York City 28.11.69, 2nd & New York
City 27.11.69 (spliced together)
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -New York City 28.11.69, 2nd show
- Sympathy For The Devil 1 (MJ/KR) -Altamont 6.12.69
- Sympathy For The Devil 2 (MJ/KR) -Altamont 6.l2.69
- Under My Thumb 2 (MJ/KR) -Altamont 6.12.69
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -Altamont 6.12.69, part only
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -Altamont 6.12.69, part only

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: August 26, 2018 14:11

This was posted a number of years ago and it may be helpful:
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: January 2, 2011 18:24

Some time ago I made a list (with the help of you all) of all available NYC soundboards, here you can see what's available from the 1st show of the 28th. Here it is again:

Song Title Remark Date Where To Find
Jumpin' Jack Flash 27 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Jumpin' Jack Flash 28-1 Gimme Shelter DVD
Carol overdubs 28-1 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Carol overdubs, different mix, correct announcement 28-1 Time Trip Vol. 4
Carol no overdubs 28-1 Gimme Shelter VHS video (US) bonus track
Carol 28-2 Gimme Shelter DVD bonus track
Sympathy For The Devil verse 1,2,3 28-1 Original Ya-Ya's
Sympathy For The Devil verse 1,4 28-1 Ya-Ya's acetate
Stray Cat Blues 28-1 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Love In Vain Baltimore 26 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Love In Vain different mix, correct announcement Baltimore 26 A Shot Of Salvation
Love In Vain different mix, edited out one verse, wrong announcement Baltimore 26 Gimme Shelter DVD
Prodigal Son 27 Ya-Ya's DVD
Prodigal Son 27 Gimme Shelter DVD bonus track
Prodigal Son 28-2 Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
You Gotta Move 27 Ya-Ya's DVD
You Gotta Move 28-2 Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
Under My Thumb 27 Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
Under My Thumb 28-1 Ya-Ya's DVD
I'm Free 27 Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
I'm Free incomplete 28-1 Ya-Ya's DVD
Midnight Rambler intro cut 28-2 Original Ya-Ya's
Midnight Rambler intro complete 28-2 Ya-Ya's acetate
Live With Me 28-2 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Little Queenie 28-1 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Little Queenie 28-1 Gimme Shelter DVD bonus track
Satisfaction 27 Ya-Ya's DVD
Satisfaction 28-1 Ya-Ya's bonus tracks CD
Satisfaction mix & edit 28-1 + 28-2 Gimme Shelter DVD
Honky Tonk Women 28-1 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Honky Tonk Women mix 28-2 + 27 Gimme Shelter DVD
Street Fighting Man vocal overdubs 28-1 Original Ya-Ya's, different mix: Ya-Ya's acetate
Street Fighting Man original vocals 28-1 A Shot Of Salvation
Street Fighting Man mix with voiceover 28-1 + 28-2 Gimme Shelter DVD

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 26, 2018 22:54

I've been hoping since I saw Gimme Shelter (1971) to view a whole 1969 concert in one seemless show. I thought about giving it a go myself but lacked the source info to start

Date: August 27, 2018 05:15

midimannz
I've been hoping since I saw Gimme Shelter (1971) to view a whole 1969 concert in one seemless show. I thought about giving it a go myself but lacked the source info to start

so do you have enough info and footage to where u could put together an entire show and maybe post it on YouTube? And I don't think it would b necessary to have it all from one show, you could mix it up, just so long as you could put together an entire show as I think they tended to play the same numbers every show in pretty much the same order. side note: don't complain that they do this today, even if the songs now are a lot older.

plexi

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: August 27, 2018 14:15

timbernardis
midimannz

so do you have enough info and footage to where u could put together an entire show and maybe post it on YouTube? And I don't think it would b necessary to have it all from one show, you could mix it up, just so long as you could put together an entire show as I think they tended to play the same numbers every show in pretty much the same order. side note: don't complain that they do this today, even if the songs now are a lot older.

plexi
If you took the footage from GIMME SHELTER, including bonus footage, as well as the songs from the Ya-Ya's DVD, you would only have about 2/3 of the show. Missing are: Stray Cat Blues, Sympathy, Midnight Rambler and Live With Me.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: August 27, 2018 15:52

the Ya Ya's Midnight Rambler is played in a form Ive not heard live like this with mick taylor, where's it from?

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 27, 2018 21:52

thkbeercan
timbernardis
midimannz

plexi
If you took the footage from GIMME SHELTER, including bonus footage, as well as the songs from the Ya-Ya's DVD, you would only have about 2/3 of the show. Missing are: Stray Cat Blues, Sympathy, Midnight Rambler and Live With Me.

I was arriving at the same conclusions...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1253
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home