Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The vault
Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: August 25, 2018 18:37

When everyone mentions that the RS have many unreleased songs in the "vault". Where exactly is the "vault"? Is it a recording studio, an actual vault with tapes, or in someone's home?

Re: The vault
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 25, 2018 18:59

The Stones have been recording since 1962, uptil now. They have been keeping tapes of these recordings, and of most Live Gigs they did, also.
So, all these tapes are somewhere. Maybe collected in Jaggers room, or , more likely in Vaults at record companies. or maybe, the stones have hired large containers to keep all these tapes.

One time, the Stones will stop recording and stop doing live gigs. one time, all of the stones will die.

and . as the stones themselves do not have much money, they are keeping the tapes as some kind of savings for their children and grand children. there will always be Stones fans, who want more products.
and as long as there are buyers, money is certain.

Thats why there are stones vaults.

Jeroen

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 25, 2018 19:07

I understood that they have stored everything somewhere in Belgium? Didn't Don Was said this at one point?

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 25, 2018 19:46

If.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-26 20:31 by tioms.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: August 25, 2018 20:08

corriecas
and . as the stones themselves do not have much money,

Hmm, seriously?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 25, 2018 20:44

maybe we should all have a whipround to get the stones some money.

Date: August 25, 2018 20:57

buttons67
maybe we should all have a whipround to get the stones some money.

already did for the NoFilter 2017 n 2018 tours.
Jeroen

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: August 25, 2018 21:01

I doubt this but I would if all live and studio stuff like everything is backed up digitally

Posted by: rara ()
Date: August 25, 2018 21:26

corriecas
So, all these tapes are somewhere. Maybe collected in Jaggers room, or , more likely in Vaults at record companies. or maybe, the stones have hired large containers to keep all these tapes.

Record companies usually don't store tapes themselves. It's way to much effort to eliminate any threats and dangers (theft, fire, humidity, ...). There are companies specialized in storing such things. I would assume the Stones or their record company respectively have contracted a similar company.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 25, 2018 21:40

Theres footage of Jagger in a Tape room with one heck of a lot of individually labelled Ampex Tapes or whatever they're called, and he's taking to the session or shows as i remember it.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 25, 2018 21:40

I remember in Martin Elliott's book it was stated that the vault was lost (or heavily damaged) during the flood in London. They used to keep the tapes in some warehouse. Unfortunately I do not have the book in hands to check ;(.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: August 25, 2018 22:05

I would never trust any record company to store unheard tapes. Only copies Of contracted work maybe.

Date: August 25, 2018 22:08

U2Stonesfan
I would never trust any record company to store unheard tapes. Only copies Of contracted work maybe.

i would not store U2 Tapes anyway
jeroen

Date: August 25, 2018 22:11

corriecas
U2Stonesfan

i would not store U2 Tapes anyway
jeroen

That's your loss pal

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2018 22:29

Chuck's got everything hidden away in a tree-house …………………………

ROCKMAN

Date: August 25, 2018 22:34

Rockman
Chuck's got everything hidden away in a tree-house …………………………

Please don't send Keith up it to retrieve anything...

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 26, 2018 09:05

How bout Jagger's bedroom.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 26, 2018 12:20

They should have a big vault somewhere on a secret location, but it would make sense if they also had digital copies of everything in case of fires or natural disasters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-26 12:20 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 26, 2018 12:45

claremont29
When everyone mentions that the RS have many unreleased songs in the "vault". Where exactly is the "vault"? Is it a recording studio, an actual vault with tapes, or in someone's home?

it's basically a fans' fantasy

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: August 26, 2018 19:06

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2018 20:21

I've heard the vault is located in deep inside a salt mine in Spain.

Date: August 26, 2018 21:34

I heard it was beneath an olive farm in Siberia …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2018 23:36

Siberian olives are amazing.

Date: August 26, 2018 23:58

treaclefingers
I've heard the vault is located in deep inside a salt mine in Spain.

Salt mine would be the safest place.

"HUTCHINSON FACILITY – THE SALT MINE
THINK “FORT KNOX” – BURIED 650 FT UNDERGROUND"

[www.undergroundvaults.com]

Date: August 27, 2018 00:21

Salt mine would be the safest place.

Not if there's a fish & chip shop at the entrance …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 27, 2018 00:38

As alluded to above, there's a scene in BEING MICK where Mick visits the London studio where the Stones' analog archives were being transferred digitally. You get a quick look at the tapes and it's a mix of familiar and unfamiliar outtakes as well as concert recordings. Much of this process resulted in the contract they've had with Universal for the past decade.

As to whether there is a physical vault, there are several. The Stones maintain an archive, so does ABKCO, so does Bill Wyman. And no, Bill did not have to surrender his archive when he left the band. He still works with them on some of the archival releases. Additionally, various studios, engineers, family members, friends of friends, and former trafficking associates hold acetates or tapes with rare recordings. That's where bootlegs and trading circles begin.

As recently as 2010, the archive was still in disarray with tracks from various decades spliced together with no rhyme or reason. Sad, when you consider James Karnbach or Nico Zentgraf or Felix Aeppli or Dieter Hoffmann would easily have been able to organize it for posterity.

Yes, whenever something comes along, artists and labels like to claim it was discovered in a shoe box under the bed of an old girlfriend or one of the artist's children. No, I don't believe that, but it makes for good press.

And if you still want a single place where everything can be found...the answer is Matt Lee's house. Mind the alligator-filled moat and the 100 foot wall with spikes on the top.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 27, 2018 00:56

I'd say that explains it all.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 28, 2018 17:56

ironbelly
I remember in Martin Elliott's book it was stated that the vault was lost (or heavily damaged) during the flood in London. They used to keep the tapes in some warehouse. Unfortunately I do not have the book in hands to check ;(.

Which flood ?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 28, 2018 17:59

It's in a undisclosed location .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 28, 2018 18:00

The Stones' 'Vault' is in London. And not far from the Thames. A friend of mine has been there but only long enough to see piles of tapes, not to actually examine what was on them.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home