Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"It's a Lie" and other Outtakes
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 24, 2018 00:20

I'm trying to figure out exactly where "I'll Let You Know," "Not the Way to Go" and "It's a Lie" should fit in to my collection. I'm thinking with Undercover even though they sound like Some Girls session. They don't have the dance grooves that came with some of the Undercover sound.

I know people consider "It's a Lie" a Some Girls outtake and maybe that's where it fits in best there. This info I found online says "It's a Lie" was recorded in March 20, 1981. Is it a 'Some Girls Outtake' or not since apparently it made after Some Girls? It reminds me of "Where the Boys All Go."

Also, what about "I'll Let You Know?" Is "I'll Let You Know" an Dirty Work outtake as some claim?

Are these considered Undercover lost gems? What's your opinion or information?
Thanks, as always to a great group of Stones fans here on IORR.

04 I'll Let You Know - unavailable on CD
05 Not The Way To Go - unavailable on CD
07 It's A Lie - harmonica intro version

[recordmecca.com]

Not the Way to Go:

[www.youtube.com]

It's a Lie:

[www.youtube.com]

I'll Let You Know:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: "It's a Lie" and other Outtakes
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 24, 2018 01:04

Nico thinks "It's a Lie" originates from the EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions in 1979:

[nzentgraf.de]

Art Collins is at least partially mistaken. March 1981 was when Kimsey was pulling tracks for Mick to overdub on in Paris to compile TATTOO YOU. If the song was considered early on for UNDERCOVER, it's not when the Fallfire tape in the photo originates.

Incidentally, I recall someone on here linking to a Youtube clip of Mick being interviewed in 1977 (probably about Keith's bust, but possibly when LOVE YOU LIVE was released) and "It's a Lie" is playing in the background. It's possible it was faked and added at a later date to the clip or it's possible the song predates the first Pathe-Marconi sessions. Somewhere I had read an interview which alleged the SOME GIRLS songs were demoed and rehearsed during mixing sessions for LOVE YOU LIVE. For some reason, I think it might be in Mac's book, ALL THE RAGE.

Good luck with your sleuthing!

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 24, 2018 02:15

I'm not expert on these types of matters but my opinions are as follows.

NOT THE WAY TO GO, sounds alot like WHERE THE BOYS ALL GO
IT'S A LIE sounds like SOME GIRLS SESSIONS material
I'll let you know sounds like side 2 of Tattoo You.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 24, 2018 02:42

“I'll let you know sounds like side 2 of Tattoo You.”

That made me look, loved it, but I need a vocal.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 24, 2018 03:02

I'll Let You Know -- RCA Studio LA 1978
Not The Way To Go -- RCA Studio LA 1978

It's A Lie -- Pathe Marconi Studio Paris -- 1979

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 24, 2018 03:30

Polish 'em up and get 'em ready to go for 2019.
Plenty more where those came from...somewhere buried...in the vast barrel of time...decades worth of good stuff.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 24, 2018 07:49

Yep NTWTG is RCA 78. ILYK is a bit murkier as Mac mentions it in his book and says it lacks a vocal because cut himself with some kind of knife and had to have it taken care of and then forgot about the song, or something like that.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 24, 2018 13:28

WOW! You people are awesome!

I'm always amazed at the knowledge and generosity of the people in our group here. It inspires me to post and work to share here. Thank you very much.

We definitely have another Tattoo You buried in the archives. I always loved "Tried to Talk Her in to It."

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 24, 2018 22:24

Pathe marconi sessions should be released. All of them since 1978 to 1985.
One of the best Rolling Stones age. A new group, a new style with the very same roots but with a new and fresh sound. A perfect reborn group ready to compete with punk and new wave .
Maybe the best version of themselves

Posted by: django ()
Date: August 24, 2018 22:54

KeithNacho
One of the best Rolling Stones age. A new group, a new style with the very same roots but with a new and fresh sound. A perfect reborn group ready to compete with punk and new wave .

I couldn't agree more thumbs up

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:32

That must be the same Arthur Collins who has the legendary tapes?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 25, 2018 01:41

The bootlegged versions of Its a Lie is from Paris, cut for either Some Girls (as I always assumed) or Emotional Rescue. Thats Sugar Blue on harmonica.

Can only assume they did overdubs for it in New York in '81.

Always thought it had great potential. Would love to hear a finished version of it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 25, 2018 03:06

Mr.D
That must be the same Arthur Collins who has the legendary tapes?

It's the same Art Collins who was so excited by Anita Morris flexing her breasts, the buttons on his trousers (don't ask) popped off and he spilled his product placement in a provocative fashion that made Julian Temple consider the shot to be art...or maybe that was just Art.

Date: August 25, 2018 04:18

Art Collins Obituary

Photo by Mike Watt

"Collins entered the music business in 1975, working in Atlantic Records' promotion department, and then joined
Rolling Stones Records where he eventually became president. In 1982 he turned to management; over the years his
roster included Joe Jackson, Marianne Faithfull and Marshall Crenshaw."

more: [www.iggypop.org]

more: [www.rocknrollspotlight.com]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 26, 2018 02:22

The Some Girls Deluxe set was the biggest missed opportunity ever!! The list of cool little outtakes fun songs from second golden period of 1977-1978 could fill 3 or 4 CDs - I hope we get a second shot someday.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 26, 2018 07:13

KeithNacho

thumbs up

Date: August 26, 2018 13:53

Lynd8
The Some Girls Deluxe set was the biggest missed opportunity ever!! The list of cool little outtakes fun songs from second golden period of 1977-1978 could fill 3 or 4 CDs - I hope we get a second shot someday.

Could you make a list of what would be on the 77-78+ that would fit on one or two CDs? What are your very best choices for the next Tattoo You?
I have no doubt Mick is in our group somewhere reading our comments. You could influence a future release or help put together a great
collection of songs (like the Lonely at the Top boot).

Date: August 26, 2018 20:32

exilestones

I'm always amazed at the knowledge and generosity of the people in our group here. It inspires me to post and work to share here. Thank you very much.

We definitely have another Tattoo You buried in the archives. I always loved "Tried to Talk Her in to It."

thumbs up
They have enough outtakes and hidden gems to make another Tattoo You:

[iorr.org]

Date: August 26, 2018 23:12

Lynd8

Yes if you just release the bootlegs but that will never happen, at least as long as Mick is still around. I can only really think of Yellow Cab and Fiji Jim that would have been up to the standards they set for the release.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 27, 2018 01:56

..i think there's a lot more than just one more "Tattoo You" type of record...they have a ton of out takes....listening to Keith's Love Is Strong today.......wow better than the released version...

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 27, 2018 15:37

There are more than 75 ideas almost finish or finish.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 27, 2018 18:17

that's 8 albums worth of what we know of.....then there's stuff no one's ever heard...

Date: August 27, 2018 18:47

KRiffhard
exilestones

thumbs up

[iorr.org]

THANKS

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 27, 2018 23:41

exilestones
I'm trying to figure out exactly where "I'll Let You Know," "Not the Way to Go" and "It's a Lie" should fit in to my collection. I'm thinking with Undercover even though they sound like Some Girls session. They don't have the dance grooves that came with some of the Undercover sound.

I know people consider "It's a Lie" a Some Girls outtake and maybe that's where it fits in best there. This info I found online says "It's a Lie" was recorded in March 20, 1981. Is it a 'Some Girls Outtake' or not since apparently it made after Some Girls? It reminds me of "Where the Boys All Go."

Also, what about "I'll Let You Know?" Is "I'll Let You Know" an Dirty Work outtake as some claim?

Are these considered Undercover lost gems? What's your opinion or information?
Thanks, as always to a great group of Stones fans here on IORR.

04 I'll Let You Know - unavailable on CD
05 Not The Way To Go - unavailable on CD
07 It's A Lie - harmonica intro version

[recordmecca.com]

Not the Way to Go:

[www.youtube.com]

It's a Lie:

[www.youtube.com]

I'll Let You Know:

[www.youtube.com]

Certainly not "A Grade" material. Just like lots of other stuff, it will lose any excitement once it leaves the bootleg domain and gets an official release.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 28, 2018 00:17

Rip This
..i think there's a lot more than just one more "Tattoo You" type of record...they have a ton of out takes....listening to Keith's Love Is Strong today.......wow better than the released version...
I quite agree---should have been a Keef song on the LP...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 28, 2018 01:27

diverseharmonics
Rip This
I quite agree---should have been a Keef song on the LP...

Could have worked well as a co-lead vocal with Keith singing the first part, while Mick comes in at the bridge.
As it is, gotta go with the Keith version also...there's something more sincere about it.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 28, 2018 02:01

"Misty Roads" is up there with "Yellow Cab" for me. I would like to have seen Mick finish that one up with the others.

Date: August 28, 2018 03:41

Ah yes, It's "Misty Roads"/"The Way She Held Me Tight" that didn't make it on SG Deluxe ;-)

--------------

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 28, 2018 04:16

TeddyB1018
"Misty Roads" is up there with "Yellow Cab" for me. I would like to have seen Mick finish that one up with the others.

There is one more good album in the SG sessions, not more, no less. "Misty Roads" definitely belongs on there.Along with the best tracks from SG Deluxe and "Fiji Gin", "A Different Kind", "I Need You" plus a few others, opening up the time frame a bit, for example "My First Plea" or "It Won't Belong".

Date: August 28, 2018 11:10

exilestones
KRiffhard
exilestones

thumbs up

[iorr.org]

THANKS

It's a pleasure talking about outtakes!!
They have enough good stuff to make another project ala 'Tattoo You': the best 10/12 outtakes from previous sessions.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home