Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Jagger/Carly Simon "lost" duet 'Fragile'
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 22, 2018 18:31

Mick Jagger and Carly Simon's lost duet 'Fragile' finally uncovered

Tobias Schwarz

The Associated Press
Published Aug. 22, 2018

A lost Mick Jagger duet with Carly Simon has been found more than 45 years after it was first recorded.

The song, apparently never heard in public, appears to have been recorded in 1972 and was found recently on a tape owned by Rolling Stones collector Matt Lee.

Believed to be named "Fragile," at least according to Rolling Stones fan websites, the song is a slow love ballad that has Jagger and Simon seemingly sitting together at a piano and singing.

Simon spoke about the lost duet in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine about two years ago, saying the tape of the recording had been lost for decades.

"We had this little back and forth at the piano for about an hour," Simon says in the Rolling Stone interview, published Nov. 29, 2016, according to the magazine's website. She also sang a line of the song from memory, "Funny, funny, funny, funny, funny, How love can make you cry."

That matches with Lee's recording, except Jagger and Simon appear to sing "change" instead of "cry." Jagger does most of the singing, with Simon adding some harmonies.

When the song ends, a female voice believed to be Simon's gasps: "Good song."

Simon and Jagger worked together in 1972 when the Rolling Stones frontman supposedly sang backup vocals on Simon's hit "You're So Vain." For many years, it was thought that Jagger was the subject of that song, but Simon has denied that.

Lee, an entrepreneur from London, declined to say where the tape of the song came from. But he said Wednesday that he sent a digital copy of the song to Rolling Stone magazine because they promised to give it to Simon.

"I'm not doing it for the money," Lee said. "I'm a collector. My motive for sending it to Rolling Stone was to pass it to Carly."

Representatives from the Rolling Stones did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

While the song will be new to most listeners, it is not completely unknown to hardcore Stones fans. But it's not exactly easy to find, either.

A snippet of the song, with its passage of Jagger repeatedly singing, "It's funny, funny, funny," is briefly heard in a scene in the publicly unreleased documentary about the 1972 Rolling Stones tour of America. The name of the film is obscene in itself, stemming from the obscene name of an obscene song the band recorded a few years earlier to fulfill a recording contract they didn't want to actually fulfill.

In cleaner terms, and as a hint to the name of the tour movie, that song is often referred to as "Schoolboy Blues."

The new finding comes two years after another previously unheard Rolling Stones song was uncovered. That song, "No One Loves You More Than Me," is believed to have been recorded in 1964 and was found in 2016. The tape of that song was reportedly sold at auction.

The Rolling Stones, who wrapped up a tour of Britain and Europe in July, have said they are working on a new studio album. A short video clip of Jagger playing a guitar was posted on his Instagram account over the weekend.

[www.usatoday.com]

Re: Mick Jagger/Carly Simon "lost" duet 'Fragile'
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 22, 2018 18:50

Matt Lee, he's the man!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 22, 2018 19:44

Great story. Raising a glass to you Matt!

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 22, 2018 22:11

is this the thing we hear in CS Blues?- it's funny..... funny... funny

Date: August 22, 2018 22:20

According to the AP story, yes.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 22, 2018 22:41

hbwriter
is this the thing we hear in CS Blues?- it's funny..... funny... funny

Acc. to the super-reliable Herr Zentgraf this would be the 1st version with a solo Mick on piano.
The version dug out by Matt would have been recorded in Sept.72 in London :
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 22:42 by dcba.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 22, 2018 23:04

Wow... Matt that's incredible!

Will the rest of us ever get to hear it?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 22, 2018 23:26

Matt!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 22, 2018 23:29

Thanks for posting, bye bye johnny. This is a great find! Congratulations, Matt! smileys with beer

Date: August 23, 2018 00:01

schillid
Will the rest of us ever get to hear it?

Sometime between "not now" and "never"? grinning smiley

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 23, 2018 00:12

bye bye johnny
The new finding comes two years after another previously unheard Rolling Stones song was uncovered. That song, "No One Loves You More Than Me," is believed to have been recorded in 1964 and was found in 2016. The tape of that song was reportedly sold at auction.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Date: August 23, 2018 00:16

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2018 01:13

drewmaster
bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Sounds alot like a Beatles song.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 23, 2018 01:23

Hairball
drewmaster
bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Yup. I can see why they buried it.

Drew

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 23, 2018 02:24

drewmaster
Hairball
drewmaster
bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Yup. I can see why they buried it.

Drew

*I thought it was just me

Matt Lee so suave and in the Daily Mail!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 03:01

drewmaster
bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

This almost sounds like a left over from Metamorphosis? Why does the news article say Mick supposedly sang on You're So Vain? I thought it was pretty common knowledge. Is Matt a member on here?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 23, 2018 03:16

DGA35
drewmaster
bye bye johnny

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

This almost sounds like a left over from Metamorphosis? Why does the news article say Mick supposedly sang on You're So Vain? I thought it was pretty common knowledge. Is Matt a member on here?

*Yes, he is the keenest RS collector, see this thread for pics and info
[iorr.org]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 23, 2018 03:25

Matt is certainly The Man!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: August 23, 2018 04:17

CaptainCorella
Matt is certainly The Man!

No Comment

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 23, 2018 04:31

i wanna hold your HAANNNNND....

like it anyway; ty for posting.
love to hear 'fragile' this'll do!!

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: August 23, 2018 08:58

This is strange..I offered the "Your So Vain" sessions to Carly Simon back in the
80's.. She said she had the masters back in L.A. (I believe).. The recordings are
very good there is a lot of talking between Carly and Mick on tape.. Another song Mick does was "Your Angel Steps Out Of Heaven" The session is mostly Mick & Carly
at the piano. I can't believe she or her people would have lost these recording.
Maybe one day Carly (with Jagger's permission) would release them as bonus tracks
on a rarities CD...

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 09:48

First of all, congradulations to Matt.
On top of that, his finding confirms what I've been thinking about the sessions where a RS is guested: what we know is just the top of an iceberg and hundreds of hours of un-heard tapes must exist.
Generally speaking, I don't believe that this happened with the Andrew Oldham Orchestra as he was always tight in money for tapes and costs of personnel.
Still, I can't believe that we know all what Chris Farlowe recorded with MJ or that important side-men of the RS family like John Paul Jones did not give a hand
in more recordings we still don't know. Again: it's not uncommon that new versions appear when an album is re-processed in sight of a re-issue (like whan Line Records managed the catalogue of Immediate).
And what about Marianne Faithfull's records? Should we believe that 'Sister Morphine' was not pre-produced, while the creative process was going on?
Some of this music arrived to the acetate stage (like in case of 'Memo From Turner'), some remained on tapes (like a stage appearance MJ did in Mustique with a local band)
I live in Italy and this cuts me off, but English or America music detectives can come across these jewels, from time to time.
I totally agree with Matt: it's not a matter of money, it's a matter of preservation and restoration of a unique creative experience in human history.
You can't find another body of work 55-year long in art history, even in fine arts or literature, but this is never underlined, at any level. Now, I stop as this topic - to which I'm very sensitive - would carry me too far and I'd become a little bit boring...
Congradulations, Matt,
LUca

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 09:50 by 1963luca0.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 23, 2018 11:46

Yes, apparently "Matt" is da man...

...but where da frig is da tape of da song?

Frankly, I'd much rather hear the sessions that VideoJames has posted about above.

We already know the "It's Funny" tune from the 1972 unreleased tour movie --

...sounds like an unfinished idea.

Just a tune with a hook.

Where's da song?

Date: August 23, 2018 12:18

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 12:23 by dcba.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: August 23, 2018 15:32

stonehearted
Yes, apparently "Matt" is da man...

...but where da frig is da tape of da song?

Frankly, I'd much rather hear the sessions that VideoJames has posted about above.

We already know the "It's Funny" tune from the 1972 unreleased tour movie --

...sounds like an unfinished idea.

Just a tune with a hook.

Where's da song?

a da da, a dada!
Are you a Bourvil's grandchild! confused smiley

Date: August 23, 2018 16:10

Dada was a rolling stone ...

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: August 23, 2018 16:41

Great find, Matt, congratulations !!

Satisfied since 1976

Date: August 23, 2018 17:33

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 23, 2018 18:02

This is great news and all, but unless we, the general public, get to hear it... So what?

Date: August 23, 2018 18:08

Matt Lee,
You probably think this thread is about you

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2155
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home