Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT:Aerosmith to play Vegas residency.Stones next ?
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 16, 2018 05:20

People who think the Stones only perform live only for the money just dont get it.
People who think like, say things like that are saying more about them self than about The Stones.

Reading through the comments nothing surprising here... same old names... mostly the same old big mouths, big mouthing BS, like they always do... everyday, all day... nothing else better to do in their lives than talk sht about The Stones. Kind of sad.

Of course the money is nice for playing live gigs,
of course it is part of the motivation... but it is about more than just money...

I would be willing to bet cash money The Stones will never do more than 2-3 shows in a row in Vegas.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2018 05:21

MisterDDDD
Nobody knows (or cares) about the political friends or affiliations of the billionaire from San Diego who hired the band for
his wife's birthday during Zip Code tour.

Because it doesn't matter.
Only those still butthurt over the Vegas cancellation care about Kraft's affiliation, because it fuels their false narrative that "Mick wasn't really sick"
or "they should have rescheduled" eye rolling smiley

Haha you have serious issues.
Mick was obviously sick for the *Vegas '16 shows as has been said many times, and in fact I've said they should have cancelled the second one as well. And I have no ill feelings over the first show cancellation as I had no intention of going in the first place. I do however feel sorry for the many people who traveled from afar - some who of were even more upset that the Stones went ahead and played a show for Trumps billionaire friend - so upset they even wrote about it on this very forum. That's not my narrative, that's a fact. But hey, it's only business...

lem motlow
Hairball
Certain people have a tendency to read politics into anything - if just the name "Trump" is reason for someone to be offended, don't know what to say - the fact is Kraft is one of Trumps billionaire friends.
And believe it or not, people can still be friends despite their political leanings as the article above states, not sure why anyone feels the need to read into it any further.
As I've always been somewhere in the middle, it's always been interesting to see the reactionary extremes of certain people on either side, but enough on that from me.

Exactly-they’re so wound up they completely missed the point which was that the Stones are absolute sellouts.
DT wrote them a check in Atlantic City ,his friend wrote them one in Boston and they will soon be cashing in more from his friends in Vegas.
It’s comical,we hate you in public but,where do we sign?

Yes, some are so irrational that even the name "Trump" sets alarms off in their heads. And some can't help themselves when it comes to defending the Stones - they're like angry little watchdogs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 05:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:07

The Stones are ABSOLUTELY sellouts. We've known this for decades.

My issue is with Lem insinuating that the Stones are "extra sellout-y" for taking Kraft's money, as if his sole claim to fame is being Trump's friend (how anyone can stand to be in the presence of that...thing...for more than 10 seconds is beyond me, but I digress).

Kraft is an ACTUAL billionaire (unlike some people) who's been a successful business for decades and who has presided over perhaps the the greatest modern NFL dynasty ever.

Just because the Stones have expressed some mild antipathy for Trump doesn't mean they can't do business with Kraft. That's an absurd guilt-by-association.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:29

*I’d be lyin if I said I didn’t want the RS to do a Vegas residential gig.

‘Aerosmith VIP Experiences will be available as an add on to any ticket. VIP Experiences may include a Meet & Greet with Band Members, exclusive backstage tour and access to the Aerosmith Memorabilia Exhibit.’

*But you got to pay to run with the big dogs:

“ROCKIN VEGAS NIGHTS"
STEVEN TYLER AND JOE PERRY ROCKIN' VEGAS NIGHTS VIP MEET & GREET PACKAGE
Meet & Greet with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry

"VIVA LAS VEGAS"
JOEY KRAMER, TOM HAMILTON AND BRAD WHITFORD VIVA LAS VEGAS VIP PACKAGE

"AEROSMITH BACKSTAGE"
AEROSMITH BACKSTAGE TOUR AND MUSEUM VIP PACKAGE
Exclusive Backstage tour - go behind the scenes of the Aerosmith "Deuces are Wild" show with your Aerosmith VIP Host

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 16, 2018 06:34

Leonioid
People who think the Stones only perform live only for the money just dont get it.
of course it is part of the motivation... but it is about more than just money...

The strangest thing of all to me is we're all fans of the greatest rock band in history. If you had their talent and their legacy, wouldn't you expect to be well paid for being out there when you're 75 or 77 years old? If people truly have a problem with success, stick to street performers or open mike nights at a club. They made their living as a band and then their music made their name. That takes you out of halls and into arenas and then stadiums. Not maximizing that potential is betraying the dream. To succeed at anything requires discipline and at times ruthlessness. They demonstrated that along with their creativity. That's how they went the distance. I see no shame in this. Their work ethic is one of their few undeniably admirable traits if one is upset they take a bohemian approach to their private lives.

Date: August 16, 2018 07:16

35love

Yeah, I thought the same for quite a long time - from around the Licks tour up until a few years ago, seemed a Vegas residency would have suited them well. But when you consider how high the prices were for the *Vegas 16 shows in a large arena, you have to wonder how high they could be for a residency in a smaller setting such as Aerosmith is doing. Not to mention the multiple overpriced VIP packages w/ a laminate, etc. And then you have to factor in that the Stones had difficulty in selling those two *Vegas '16 arena shows, having massive price drops of entire sections w/large amounts of unsold tickets readily available for both of them around the time of Desert Trip. Then the first show was cancelled leaving only the second show, but even then there were tickets at the box office the day of the show, and stubhub was dumping them by the truckload at the fraction of the price. All that said, not sure if they can pull off a residency these days as there might not be the demand at the prices they'd ask, and as someone else mentioned, why bother when they can jam people into a few stadiums around the country.

Date: August 16, 2018 07:46

Hairball
35love

Yeah, I thought the same for quite a long time - from around the Licks tour up until a few years ago, seemed a Vegas residency would have suited them well. But when you consider how high the prices were for the *Vegas 16 shows in a large arena, you have to wonder how high they could be for a residency in a smaller setting such as Aerosmith is doing. Not to mention the multiple overpriced VIP packages w/ a laminate, etc. And then you have to factor in that the Stones had difficulty in selling those two *Vegas '16 arena shows, having massive price drops of entire sections w/large amounts of unsold tickets readily available for both of them around the time of Desert Trip. Then the first show was cancelled leaving only the second show, but even then there were tickets at the box office the day of the show, and stubhub was dumping them by the truckload at the fraction of the price. All that said, not sure if they can pull off a residency these days as there might not be the demand at the prices they'd ask, and as someone else mentioned, why bother when they can jam people into a few stadiums around the country.

* well, I don’t agree about the not sold out theory, Clinton / Trump debate week, desert dust extended stage in heat right before, blah blah don’t care,
selfishly Las Vegas is a close direct flight, and if they are indeed ever to play together again,
it’s an easy location,
and it’d be a blast.
I was making fun of the VIP top tier ticket gets you 2,
next VIP level the other band members,
3rd VIP an employee walks you through only.
IDK. At this point, it’s taking advantage of the old folks (old boomer fans)
The Stones have class. To meet them (and ALL not degrading your band mates as less than) it was $20k to charity on the No Filter.
The Stones evolve.
I also like what Rocky Dijon wrote about their work ethic and success.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 07:46 by 35love.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 16, 2018 07:52

Rocky Dijon
Leonioid

The strangest thing of all to me is we're all fans of the greatest rock band in history. If you had their talent and their legacy, wouldn't you expect to be well paid for being out there when you're 75 or 77 years old? If people truly have a problem with success, stick to street performers or open mike nights at a club. They made their living as a band and then their music made their name. That takes you out of halls and into arenas and then stadiums. Not maximizing that potential is betraying the dream. To succeed at anything requires discipline and at times ruthlessness. They demonstrated that along with their creativity. That's how they went the distance. I see no shame in this. Their work ethic is one of their few undeniably admirable traits if one is upset they take a bohemian approach to their private lives.

yes. much appreciated ty. frankly though, I had to grow and 'mature' quite a bit myself to accept their natural changes; I'm still pissed there's not more
cohesion with the bass haha; and that is NOT a Darryl diss (anymore) lol.
it seriously isn't tho; i've always liked his presecence and enjoyed it;
i figure if he's there, integrate the bass thing more; but fans are like that.
we pick nits; we listen to records that are a half-century old, and it sometimes
doesn't register the human reality of their personal adventures with the band. Each of them individually has been fed up and wanted out.
We've had the benefit,
and loss, of their high and low moments without each other.

yeh i'm more comfortable just digging them; as I did when I was 21 and it was NA 72. Sometimes there are moments, and full performances, that make me almost
cry; like a few places at Fonda. I Got The Blues and most of sticky?
Ron showed totally up.
Mick was GENUINELY getting off on BS and you could feel HIM feeling the POWER of the band behind him,
and surfing free on it; not trying to compensate and ignore a few of 'em to sorta keep the note or key or song together...
Fonda was a beautiful homage to Rolling Stone Mick Taylor imo,
and Ron has always been so gracious about that.
For years, when i thought
he was floating; didn't know he was cracking backstage and etc...
...I actually stayed away from their, then, contemporary stuff for periods,
but sure enough, on anthropological digs inspired by the horribly distracting and passionate fans here...
...I'm just super Ok with loving them; and standing up for them no matter what. i kknow they're bastids, to quote a poster I don't see here anymore....they are my kind of pirates I guess.
they stunk in periods other fans like; then when i had mostly given up
and made peace with my ongoing adventures wih the key Stones songs
I STILL LIVE BY, then they show up for the last go-rounds really into it and each other. i like The Stones; hoary old lazy rich juveniles selling tee shirts
and dressing, except for Charlie, like idiots.
smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2018 08:16

35love
Las Vegas is a close direct flight, and if they are indeed ever to play together again,
it’s an easy location,
and it’d be a blast

Yes, for me it's only a six hour drive through the desert, and when all band members are healthy, some of my favorite Stones shows have been in Vegas - at the MGM. I also saw them at a club show at the Joint in the Hard Rock Hotel, but the MGM shows were for the most part better. I was there at the MGM the night Mick's dad passed away - he was a trooper and it was one of the great shows of that tour. Not sure if this was the same show (I've seen quite a few in Vegas), but immediately after the Stones show ended at MGM, my wife and I took a cab over to the Rio to see Prince in a small club. The show started after midnight and went on for at least a few hours. I'd seen Prince once before at the L.A. Coliseum '81 (where he was booed off the stage), and was familiar with alot of his hits afterwards, but didn't know what to expect in Vegas. Let's just say it was one of the funnest nights I've ever had in Vegas - a Stones show at MGM followed by a Prince show in a small club...memories for a lifetime. If the Stones ever return to Vegas, I'll do my best to be there.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 16, 2018 08:54

The Stones are leaders and not followers. This being said, I hope they stay away
from the vegas residency trap. As far as Aerosmith, I love the 70’s Aerosmith and
not so much the rest. I suppose, admittedly, this doesn’t make me much of a fan.
But honestly I haven’t taken the time to listen to the deeper cuts of their latter cds - so I may be missing something.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 16, 2018 08:56

i would b there regardless AND i would try to get a meet and greet ticket to cap off my stones career, oh, EXCEPT that i havent seen them in buenos aires yet. i imagine that bit about various levels of aerosmith meet and greets was facetious, tho.

but not for 20K.

the who did it and i expect the stones will too.

waiting to hear gazza's thoughts, I think he doesnt believe they will do it.

peace/plexi

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 11:56

Rocky Dijon
Leonioid

Well, their admirable work ethic hasn’t produced many albums in the last 20 years…Call it the way of the music world these days but they tour and they tour and they tour some more solely for the money – if they were still selling millions of records I doubt anyone on here would be entertaining the notion of a Vegas residency. But like you I don’t see anything particularly wrong with that. But I also understand fans who feel somewhat betrayed by the money-grabs. I mean nobody is expecting 100 free shows a year and nobody is begrudging them their riches – they earned it (er, at least up to say around 1989). They deserved to be filthy rich and I’m happy to have purchased several of their albums more than once. But I think there are fans who perhaps feel that based on their recent output and shabby performances (I mean compare the 78 live version of Miss You that Dandy recently posted with anything from the recent tours and you realize that even on their best nights they can’t come close to sounding that good anymore…not even close) a little humility is in order. I think those fans, somewhere deep down…it probably is a base emotion…want Mick to get on Twitter and admit that he should be lowering the ticket prices, not raising them. Just admit it, that’s all…the prices can keep going up up up up upppp!!!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 16, 2018 12:58

keefriff99
lem motlow
keefriff99
lem motlow
Hairball
Certain people have a tendency to read politics into anything - if just the name "Trump" is reason for someone to be offended, don't know what to say - the fact is Kraft is one of Trumps billionaire friends.
And believe it or not, people can still be friends despite their political leanings as the article above states, not sure why anyone feels the need to read into it any further.
As I've always been somewhere in the middle, it's always been interesting to see the reactionary extremes of certain people on either side, but enough on that from me.

Exactly-they’re so wound up they completely missed the point which was that the Stones are absolute sellouts.
DT wrote them a check in Atlantic City ,his friend wrote them one in Boston and they will soon be cashing in more from his friends in Vegas.
It’s comical,we hate you in public but,where do we sign?
I hope that's sarcasm on your part because that's utterly ridiculous.

If you listen to Howard Stern he has a home in the Hamptons and that’s where alot of rich New Yorkers spend their summers.he talks about going to the billionaires parties sometimes.
They set up large tents and hire musicians to play what is basically a giant backyard barbecue.
Paul Mcartney,Springsteen,Tom Petty and others have played these gigs.the press are kept away so it doesn’t really get a lot of notice.
I know it’s hard to see your childhood heroes turned into trained monkeys to entertain the Uber rich but that’s what happens.
And yeah Bye Bye Johnny that’s the same schedule I saw,the Stones will be doing one similar.light work load,big money.as long as the check clears.wasnt an actual Vegas act where this was headed all along?
I used to listen to Howard Stern regularly and I know what you're talking about.

What I was referring to was you calling the Stones hypocrites for accepting money from Kraft because of his tangential association to Trump. Kraft is far more than "Trump's friend", so just because the Stones appear to find Trump distasteful doesn't mean they should also shun Kraft.

Also, when the Stones took his money in the '80s, Trump was known as a NY tabloid clown, so it's not like they had a crystal ball to see what an insidious force he'd turn into.
Just like in Star Wars when Anakin becomes Darth Vader and is ruled by the "Dark Side"

OT: Aerosmith Vegas residency
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 16, 2018 13:56

timbernardis
i imagine that bit about various levels of aerosmith meet and greets was facetious, tho.

It's not.

[www.ticketmaster.com]

Re: OT: Aerosmith Vegas residency
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 16, 2018 14:50

bye bye johnny
timbernardis
i imagine that bit about various levels of aerosmith meet and greets was facetious, tho.

It's not.

[www.ticketmaster.com]
Wow, maybe The Stones will do something similar Mick and Keith meet and greet,and another one with Charlie and Ron,lots of money to be made. A Vegas residency will be perfect for the band at this stage of their career,a light schedule maybe three shows a week in one place,no traveling,no money spend in fancy stages,no huge crew to pay,they could just do the same greatest hits show and rake in lots of money,without all the hassle of a big tour...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 15:24

To get somewhat back on topic...Aerosmith announcing and performing on The Today Show:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Not sounding too sharp, but it's early in the morning for these old men.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 16:54

Kurt
Hairball
If the money's right, there's a possibility.
Since they played a private show for one of Trump's billionaire friends (along with other private shows for rich folks), there's a possibility.
Will it ever happen? Hard to say.

I keep seeing this phrase repeated here on IORR in various threads.

STOP.

Robert Kraft is the owner of the New England Patriots and is a registered DEMOCRAT.

Enough politics, eh?!

Correct, he is a Democrat but also a good friend of Trump. I read an article where Bob Kraft said that Trump called him once a week for a year, after his wife died to make sure he was doing Ok.

Date: August 16, 2018 17:00

35love
Sorry, I was referring to this story and pics from Daily Mail,
Aerosmith put on their costumes for the Today show, Al Roker trying to ride the audience
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

In contrast, here’s the man himself everyone tries emulate on Monday, but in Paris France looking his consistently fit fine white tee trainer shoe sexy MF making an exit
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: August 16, 2018 19:55

Well, I just heard ‘Dream On’ on the radio,
I don’t mean to judge on Aerosmith
I saw them myself in 82 and have rocked out to their oldies
so if they’re makin people happy,
thumbs up

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 16, 2018 20:36

Original Aerosmith tourbus has been found:

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: August 16, 2018 21:55

Haven't past Stones meet and greets turned out to be something of a joke? I recall reading (but can't recall where) that groups of four or five people are led into a room where the Stones await. They are told in advance- no individual pictures, no autographs, no questions, etc. They gather around for a picture with the Stones, say "hi", maybe shake hands and then are escorted out. The whole thing lasts for less than a minute.

Can someone either confirm or refute this narrative?

Date: August 16, 2018 22:25

Roscoe
Haven't past Stones meet and greets turned out to be something of a joke? I recall reading (but can't recall where) that groups of four or five people are led into a room where the Stones await. They are told in advance- no individual pictures, no autographs, no questions, etc. They gather around for a picture with the Stones, say "hi", maybe shake hands and then are escorted out. The whole thing lasts for less than a minute.

Corporate meet and greets- banking executive type etc. saw it on a film somewhere

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 16, 2018 22:29

Roscoe

Here's a first person report from 2006 > [iorr.org]

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 16, 2018 22:30

Roscoe

Here is what they did for the No Filter tour $20,000 pounds,around $27,000 dollars.
[www.thesun.ie]

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: August 16, 2018 22:44

ROPENI
Roscoe

Here is what they did for the No Filter tour $20,000 pounds,around $27,000 dollars.
[www.thesun.ie]

^ “Funds from this experience will benefit Community Links, an environmental, service-learning, immersion, volunteer, and international educational organization.”

The corporate meet and greets I saw on film were from the 90’s I think...

The Rolling Stones are class act been there, done that, invented it, MOFO’s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 22:50 by 35love.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 16, 2018 23:07

MisterDDDD
Nobody knows (or cares) about the political friends or affiliations of the billionaire from San Diego who hired the band for
his wife's birthday during Zip Code tour.

Because it doesn't matter.
Only those still butthurt over the Vegas cancellation care about Kraft's affiliation, because it fuels their false narrative that "Mick wasn't really sick"
or "they should have rescheduled" eye rolling smiley

Mick was definitely sick, i was unaware that people thought he was faking it.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 16, 2018 23:35

keithsman

Plenty of comments, with some denying it now, with the "if he was sick" comment.
Initially suggesting it was due to lack of sales, then suggesting the illness was fake because he then played the private gig. Some have clarified that it wasn't the cancelled gig that left them so butthurt, it was the shortened by one song setlist and pricing that did it. Left a real mark on some.

Date: August 16, 2018 23:53

MisterDDDD
keithsman

Plenty of comments, with some denying it now, with the "if he was sick" comment.
Initially suggesting it was due to lack of sales, then suggesting the illness was fake because he then played the private gig. Some have clarified that it wasn't the cancelled gig that left them so butthurt, it was the shortened by one song setlist and pricing that did it. Left a real mark on some.

If you read through the Vegas threads, there was only one crazy person who started a conspiracy theory of Mick really not being sick - he was laughed off immediately, not only by me but many others. Mick was sick as a dog, and that's what made the 2nd show inferior - read through all the reviews and it's as clear as day - nobody has ever denied he was sick except the one clown. In fact Mick was so sick and not into it, it might have made more sense if the second show was cancelled also.The show itself was an anomaly though as I've never been to a Stones show before where one of the members was so sick, and when it's the lead singer/frontman, it has a major effect on the show itself. It's like a football team with their star quarterback having a knee injury yet decides to play anyways - quite brave and noble, but really doesn't do the rest of the team any good.

Don't know what you're smoking MisterDDD, but you might want to ease up a bit as it's causing you memory problems, and causing you to obsess over imaginary stories you've invented.
Yet here you are trolling and stalking again, like an angry little watchdog...eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-16 23:59 by Hairball.

Date: August 16, 2018 23:56

Roscoe

Confirmed, I have a friend who did it in Vegas years ago, and while he did end up with a nifty photo of himself and other fans standing with the band,
that's about the only positive that came out of the entire situation. In other words, waste of time and money.

Date: August 17, 2018 00:10

Hairball
Roscoe

Confirmed, I have a friend who did it in Vegas years ago, and while he did end up with a nifty photo of himself and other fans standing with the band,
that's about the only positive that came out of the entire situation. In other words, waste of time and money.

What did he pay? Maybe he doesn’t think it a waste.
Even if you paid the $20k, had the time of your life, but were broke 10 years down the line and started to regret paying the $20k, you say:
It went to charity and I helped others.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2054
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home