Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge Uncut
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 9, 2018 13:11

midnrambler
The DVD mix is so poor and the bluray mix is even poorer than poor and the DVD. The surround mix of the bluray is so bad and much worse then the worst stereo mix of the DVD and the worst mix ever. The mix of left channel of the CD is so awful that it is unlistenable but the right channel is even worse and the worst mix ever made in the whole wold at all timnes. The stereo mix of the bluray is the unbelievably poorest mix ever and even much poorer than the poorest surround mix of anything in the world ever.

I think it's even worse.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 11, 2018 03:18

Today I have watched the Sweet Summer Sun: Live in Hyde Park DVD and I have to say that in my opinion this is the concert with the best sound. High guitars in the mix (listen to IORR), but all sound good. The only exception to Ruby Tuesday where Keith's acoustic guitar is not heard, on the other hand you can hear it on the CD. However this in my opinion is a very intense concert and the sound is fantastic, beautiful MR with Taylor and fantastic the solo of Ronnie in You Can not Always Get What You Want, great emotion on You Got the Silver!

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: December 17, 2018 14:03

BowieStone
Why is Blondie Chaplin mentioned in the booklet as backup singer/percussion?
Or has this been covered already? I missed it.

Wondering about the same? Might be from overdubs?

All the Best!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 17, 2018 14:48

Testify
Today I have watched the Sweet Summer Sun: Live in Hyde Park DVD and I have to say that in my opinion this is the concert with the best sound. High guitars in the mix (listen to IORR), but all sound good. The only exception to Ruby Tuesday where Keith's acoustic guitar is not heard, on the other hand you can hear it on the CD. However this in my opinion is a very intense concert and the sound is fantastic, beautiful MR with Taylor and fantastic the solo of Ronnie in You Can not Always Get What You Want, great emotion on You Got the Silver!

Sweet Summer Sun sounds pretty good via the two channel mix to vinyl as well.

It's also very interesting that the theatre gigs from the VL tour enjoyed a very different treatment for Totally Stripped, which to my ears sounds rather like a really good audience recording...
.. and much closer to the sound in the room than VL Uncut is to the sound in that much bigger space.

I'm not sure whether there is any right or wrong when it coms to deciding how to mix & present live recordings . Do you try to make it sound like it did in the audience ?
...or do you go for more clarity & precision to offset the lack of visual information ?

Sadly, some releases have either fallen between those two stools or have just failed on both counts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 14:50 by Spud.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 17, 2018 17:42

After playing I Go Wild from the CD Single I can hear it's superior to this release. Wish it wasn't true but it seems we've been failed on this one. Hopefully the Tokyo release will be amazing. Fingers are crossed.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 17, 2018 21:10

frankotero
After playing I Go Wild from the CD Single I can hear it's superior to this release. Wish it wasn't true but it seems we've been failed on this one. Hopefully the Tokyo release will be amazing. Fingers are crossed.

Be careful, you're gonna experience new sarcasm from some people here.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 17, 2018 21:36

But how do we know the CD single is real live?
It may have overdubs and sound better for that reason.

Date: December 17, 2018 22:00

Whale

Because you can hear the same riffs on VLU. Do you mean the Stones could have bothered enough to redo the same riffs as (louder?) overdubs - for a bside?

Date: December 18, 2018 09:57

I'll have to dig out that CD single [got it somewhere] and hear what the fuss is about.

I suspect what I might hear [at least in part] is just the typical exciting ,mid & upper bass forward, singles mix.

Dig out your old Brown Sugar or IORR 45s and compare them with the album cuts ...you'll hear a very similar difference.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-18 10:10 by Spud.

Date: December 18, 2018 14:35

Just listen to the sound files that we shared here. We’ve had this discussion before, right here.

It’s kind of insulting to insinuate that this (very) critical opinion on VLU might just be based on nothing. If you are happy with it, that’s great for you. Don’t pretend there’s no issue because of that.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 18, 2018 15:14

Everyone here is talking about mixes. As if the sound was stellar to begin with. It wasn't. To mix the Miami gig is like trying to polish off a turd. Dirty Work...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 18, 2018 15:24

Stoneage
Everyone here is talking about mixes. As if the sound was stellar to begin with. It wasn't. To mix the Miami gig is like trying to polish off a turd. Dirty Work...
Well my HOPE was that the original PPV release was a just a quick cash grab (with audio right off the TV feed), but that there were masters that could be used to cobble together something more listenable.

And apparently there were but they managed to make it slightly LESS listenable.

Date: December 18, 2018 15:30

GivenToFly15
Just listen to the sound files that we shared here. We’ve had this discussion before, right here.

It’s kind of insulting to insinuate that this (very) critical opinion on VLU might just be based on nothing. If you are happy with it, that’s great for you. Don’t pretend there’s no issue because of that.

I'm not pretending there's no issue ...but the issue is in part differing opinions as to what things should sound like...and I certainly don't intend to get upset about it .

If you've read any of my earlier posts on this subjects you'll find that I'm as critical as most with regard to the decisions taken in the mastering suite...I just don't think VLU is as bad as some folks think .

On a good turntable the vinyl is quite an enjoyable listen...and arguably preferable to some of the overly loud, brick walled and in yer face offerings we've been subjected to on occasion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-18 16:11 by Spud.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 19, 2018 11:46

The original I go wild single is louder than the the version on VL uncut.. To me that's the main difference in sound.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 19, 2018 14:59

kowalski
The original I go wild single is louder than the the version on VL uncut.. To me that's the main difference in sound.

the crispness & clarity of the guitars, gently weaved together, distinctively in front (where they should be) of the mix... didn't ring a bell?

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: December 21, 2018 17:07

there are 2 different combos on the spine, one puts on a dvd cd and the other puts on the dvd logo

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 23, 2018 05:02

Maybe they'll release the August 14th New Jersey show as a vault release.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 23, 2018 17:14

There was an edited, official version of this concert on DVD. Some parts of this release appeared on YouTube, e.g. Beast of Burden. The sound was crisp and clear, the guitars upfront and loud. Now these videos are vanished. If you search for Beast of Burden Miami 1994, you get a lousy video with the same muffled sound like on the Uncut release. Thus I think that there are some very good sounding sources of this concert (I Go Wild in the nineties is an example), but Eagle Rock used, I guess, the lousy PPV version.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 23, 2018 18:21

Eagle Rock can only work with the crap they were sent.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 23, 2018 18:50

RobertJohnson

There was an edited, official version of this concert on DVD.

New Jersey 14-Aug-1994 unofficial DVD (2008): [www.Amazon.com] , [www.Discogs.com] . Original Setlist (24 Tracks): [iorr.org] .

Date: December 23, 2018 21:15

The difference is always the work of post production, one thing is to take the live and remaster it as it is, another is to do a post-production work, raising the guitars in some places, raising the voice in others. The post-production work does not alter what has been played, but highlights some things compared to others, on VLU in my opinion there was no post-production work, they did the bare minimum.

Date: December 23, 2018 22:11

GivenToFly15
Whale

Because you can hear the same riffs on VLU. Do you mean the Stones could have bothered enough to redo the same riffs as (louder?) overdubs - for a bside?

Highly highly unlikely. Unless they were working on a live album while on tour - not the way they work. It's always after a tour. A B-side? Nahhhh..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 23, 2018 22:15

Testify

The sound is terrific. Pity that it appears to be directed by someone with ADHD, rendering it pretty much unwatchable.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 24, 2018 05:35

Gazza
Testify

The sound is terrific. Pity that it appears to be directed by someone with ADHD, rendering it pretty much unwatchable.

Good to know...I thought I was having an aneurysm.

Date: December 24, 2018 05:55

Whale

The liner notes usually give that away. They had already recorded songs for what became part of STRIPPED before I Go Wild was released as a single.

If you listen to I Go Wild live, you'll notice there are no overdubs. It would be obvious.

Date: December 24, 2018 14:20

treaclefingers
Gazza
Testify

However, when I listen to IORR with finally the high guitars in the mix it is a nice pleasure! Above all, it's nice to listen to Wood's guitar, which is often stifled in the mix.Merry Christmas

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 24, 2018 19:17

Testify
treaclefingers
Gazza
Testify

However, when I listen to IORR with finally the high guitars in the mix it is a nice pleasure! Above all, it's nice to listen to Wood's guitar, which is often stifled in the mix.Merry Christmas

Indeed, Merry Christmas!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 4, 2019 21:48

The Miami Voodoo Lounge Uncut ‘Miss You’ has an EXPLICIT rating.

I think it’s my favorite live ‘Miss You’

It begs to be asked,
Will ‘Miss You’ in Miami Spring 2019 make an appearance explicitly ?
Woo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo.

Seriously, I haven't watched my blu Ray all the way
and I know some of y’all have issues with the sound
but this show is huge.
‘Miss You’

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 4, 2019 21:56

Its about time the Stones skip this Miss You song during the live gigs. Well, let them do it in the USA, but when they hit South America, please: no more Miss You.
Boring stuff.
jeroen

Date: January 4, 2019 22:05

...let's hope not! I love Miss You played live, it's one of the best moments of the concert, wonderful versions of Miami 94.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 26 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home