Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge Uncut
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 2, 2018 00:10

mick64

it is possible that this collection comes out in Cd alone and also the From the vault

The Audio alone is available as Download and can be burned on a CD-R: 7digital.com , [www.Qobuz.com] . San Jose '99 too: 7digital.com , [www.Qobuz.com] .

Posted by: nick ()
Date: December 2, 2018 01:30

The I Go Wild single is the benchmark. The audio on VL Uncut is simply defective.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 2, 2018 03:34

GivenToFly15
kowalski
On thing to keep in mind about this mix is it's not as loud as previous archive releases. This may give the impression that the guitar are burried in the mix. But if if you listen on a good audio equipement you can hear everything clearly, including the guitars. In comparison, the mix on San Jose '99 is louder and more upfront.

No it’s not only a matter of volume. As documented previously in this thread (by comparing between the two official mixes of I Go Wild). The guitars are mostly buried here. I doubt that someone even did any extra work for this release. Anyone with a little taste would have tried to improve this. Maybe Eagle didn’t have access to the masters. Anyhow it’s a rip off.

Maybe B. Clearmountain used a different source for the CD-single.

The current mix has a very narrow soundstage. It could be almost mono. And actually from time to time it sounds more like an improved bootleg than a professional recording. But I like the fact the mix is not always in your face like previous archive releases.

According to credits available on Qobuz, the involved engineers on VL Uncut are :
Tim Young, Mastering Engineer
Sam Wheat, Mixer
Dave Hewitt, Mixer, Recording Engineer
[www.qobuz.com]

The credits for No Security - San Jose :
Tim Young, Mastering Engineer
Sam Wheat, Mixer
[www.qobuz.com]

So except for the recording engineer, they are the same people.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 2, 2018 15:46

Anemic and lifeless guitars. So buried on the mix. The weakest live álbum IMHO.Very nice setlist, but very little energy. Please, no more releases post 1990

Date: December 2, 2018 16:32

The best........rocks off unedited and keith's marvellous little sólo at the end of beast of burden
In general a dissapointing release

Date: December 2, 2018 16:55

mine will be here Monday

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: December 3, 2018 00:30

Rank Stranger
These different versions of the Voodoo Lounge Uncut release seem to make me a bit dizzy.

There are three bonus cuts on iTunes:

29 You Got Me Rocking (Live) 3:19

30 Miss You (Live) 9:33

31 It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It) [Live] 5:00

Are these iTunes exclusives?
At first glance I cannot see these on the CD/DVD releases...

Does anyone know from what concert these three songs come from? New Jersey ?

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: December 3, 2018 15:16

WOW .... the original single, like everyone has mentioned, is much more like the concert, you really need those guitars crisp and loud. Keith hates digital because he says it's too crisp....but you folks have proven the Voodoo Uncut is just a bit muddy.

GivenToFly15
So I dusted my old I Go Wild single and I did the same thing as ironbelly, but I put both versions in the same file (both in mono).

The first half is from Voodoo Lounge Uncut (obviously...) and the second half from the single.

As I've said before, it is pretty obvious there is a huge problem here. Or maybe they expect us to buy a "Remastered" version of VL Uncut? Oh wait, it was supposed to be "remastered"... angry smiley

[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 3, 2018 16:30

I still think it sounds interestingly different rather than bad.

Would I like the guitars up a bit in the mix ? Yes.

But I can hear them fine.. and whole sound breathes better than some of the overly loud & compressed releases we've suffered in recent years.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 16:40

Spud
I still think it sounds interestingly different rather than bad.

Would I like the guitars up a bit in the mix ? Yes.

But I can hear them fine.. and whole sound breathes better than some of the overly loud & compressed releases we've suffered in recent years.
Agreed to a point.

One thing I will say is that this concert has always sounded refreshingly LIVE...sometimes the sound is so clinical that it doesn't jibe with what you're watching onscreen (Live At the Max being an EXTREME example).

And I don't understand the people saying that the band performance itself is tired and lacking in energy. I think this is a great Stones show from start to finish...I just wish the sound had been captured a bit better.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 3, 2018 16:48

FWIW I've found Totally Stripped to be perhaps the best balanced of all the archive live and "vaults" releases.

It sounds almost like a wonderfully good audience recording ...and what else could you ask of a live album ?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 3, 2018 18:17

Spud
FWIW I've found Totally Stripped to be perhaps the best balanced of all the archive live and "vaults" releases.

It sounds almost like a wonderfully good audience recording ...and what else could you ask of a live album ?

Agreed -
and now let's hope for a better (than VL-U.) release of "Voodoo lounge in Japan"... to do this great, great world tour (extra) justice.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 3, 2018 18:55

KeithNacho
Anemic and lifeless guitars. So buried on the mix. The weakest live álbum IMHO.Very nice setlist, but very little energy. Please, no more releases post 1990[/quote

Agreed on the guitar sound, very low and for me takes a lot of the magic out. The band performance is not lifeless, the setlist is a cracker, if the guitars had been more upfront we would have a terrific VL show here. Totally Stripped a much better sonic adventure, guitar wise, into the Voodoo Lounge.

Voodoo in Japan sounds similar to Uncut if I remember, full thing was/is still on YouTube.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: December 4, 2018 16:06

there are two dvd cd combos on the back puts the dvd logo and on the other cd dvd in yellow like mine.

Date: December 4, 2018 21:30

As much as i hear this thing more angry i get. Just hear the acoustic KR guitar at the begining of sweet virginia. it is loud and clear. in the middle of the song is in the very very back. Beast of burden KR guitar is unlistenable, but his solo at the end is the best thing of this release.
Jagger's voice is too much in front, and the guitars are bried
Just a big dissapointment

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: December 5, 2018 01:53

Ricky
Rank Stranger
These different versions of the Voodoo Lounge Uncut release seem to make me a bit dizzy.

These are single videos taken from the Miami show.

Date: December 5, 2018 06:01

mine arrived. it is mixed rather oddly

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 5, 2018 17:16

I finally watched the DVD after listening to the CDs. Wow. Definitely seems worse than the CD mix, and the CD mix is strange to begin with. I was initially bummed that I hadn't picked up the Bluray/CD combo rather than the DVD/CD version, but I now feel completely fine with the DVD/CD set. I usually try to get the bluray pack if for no other reason than to improve the audio, but improved quality of a crappy mix is still a crappy mix. While I'm glad to have this release, looks like I'm still keeping both my initial "Voodoo Lounge" DVD and my "Miami Dice" bootleg. Alas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-05 17:26 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: December 5, 2018 19:47

floodonthepage
I finally watched the DVD after listening to the CDs. Wow. Definitely seems worse than the CD mix, and the CD mix is strange to begin with. I was initially bummed that I hadn't picked up the Bluray/CD combo rather than the DVD/CD version, but I now feel completely fine with the DVD/CD set. I usually try to get the bluray pack if for no other reason than to improve the audio, but improved quality of a crappy mix is still a crappy mix. While I'm glad to have this release, looks like I'm still keeping both my initial "Voodoo Lounge" DVD and my "Miami Dice" bootleg. Alas.

The suround-mix is even poorer than the stereo-mix ...

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 5, 2018 22:28

glimmertwin1
floodonthepage

The suround-mix is even poorer than the stereo-mix ...

Yikes, really? So bizarrely bad.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: December 6, 2018 22:09

JMARKO
Ricky
Rank Stranger

These are single videos taken from the Miami show.

Many thanks !

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 8, 2018 19:40

I haven’t watched my DVD yet,
but can’t get enough audio of
‘Who Do You Love’ with Bo Diddley
and
‘Beast of Burden’ of course

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 8, 2018 22:03

I need a copy/rip of that one ....
mbozzi77@yahoo.com.ar

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: December 8, 2018 22:40

The DVD mix is so poor and the bluray mix is even poorer than poor and the DVD. The surround mix of the bluray is so bad and much worse then the worst stereo mix of the DVD and the worst mix ever. The mix of left channel of the CD is so awful that it is unlistenable but the right channel is even worse and the worst mix ever made in the whole wold at all timnes. The stereo mix of the bluray is the unbelievably poorest mix ever and even much poorer than the poorest surround mix of anything in the world ever.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 8, 2018 23:27

midnrambler
The DVD mix is so poor and the bluray mix is even poorer than poor and the DVD. The surround mix of the bluray is so bad and much worse then the worst stereo mix of the DVD and the worst mix ever. The mix of left channel of the CD is so awful that it is unlistenable but the right channel is even worse and the worst mix ever made in the whole wold at all timnes. The stereo mix of the bluray is the unbelievably poorest mix ever and even much poorer than the poorest surround mix of anything in the world ever.

Far out, man! Can it get even poorer than this? Whadd'ya think?

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 9, 2018 00:44

jajajajajaja

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 9, 2018 01:42

In summary, the Boot is superior Hoodoo U Voodoo, but it's a middling show and your better buying San Jose '99

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 9, 2018 02:54

SKILLS
In summary, the Boot is superior Hoodoo U Voodoo, but it's a middling show and your better buying San Jose '99

Finally, a voice of reason.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: December 9, 2018 07:47

retired_dog
SKILLS

Finally, a voice of reason.

Didn't stop me from paying $32.99 NZD for it

It's an addiction

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 9, 2018 12:36

I LOVE the version of JJF on my DVD...just LOVE it.

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home