Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge Uncut
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: November 23, 2018 17:43

Spud
Give it another listen...and turn it up .

The dynamics are more natural than with many recent live releases and it needs a bit of volume to come alive.
I noticed this too. But still the tonality is bad, dull sounding and no power in the low end. With a Hifi-EQ switch (boosting treble and bass) it sound much better and then when you turn it up it's really listenable. Still there are a lot of phase issues on this release...

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 23, 2018 18:49

I agree about the mix. It’s bizarrely bad. One should not have to adjust treble and bass, etc, for a $23 release, especially in 2018. There also appear to be some unfortunate edits. I’m disappointed with the release overall.

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: November 24, 2018 19:23

Is it just me or are the guitars even more buried in the Dolby 5.1 mix than in the stereo mix ?

Overall I like the CDs (besides phasing & guitars buried)

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 24, 2018 20:59

Not happy with it.waste of money

Jeroen

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 26, 2018 13:07

I watched up until Satisfaction and the sound was okay and I could hear the guitars clearly as well as all the other instruments . Ronnie and Keith's guitars sounded fine !Very good performance from the entire group . Very well oiled and smooth as the US tour had been on the road since summer time and they performed very well .

Posted by: stickytom ()
Date: November 26, 2018 15:09

Problem is, independent from the assessment of the Audio Mix, i think always, when comes a release from an official Label, they have better Quality Sources, than the non-official releases before, perhaps directly from the original Producer or a clear & sharp Master Tape from a TV or Radio Station, but it looks like they have only the same Source, ok Picture Quality is a little bit better, but also no cracker for 1994. ........ certainly is a lot material archived, also in HD Quality ... i think all three Concerts from 1990 in East-Berlin, Turin & London where complete filmed for the “Live at the Max” Movie, or what is with all the Hal Ashby filmed Material from 1981 Movie “Rocks Off “, also have Scorsese filmed 2006 guaranted both Shows complete before he cutted it for the Movie “Shine a Light” ..... or is all this not used Material indeed landed in the Trashcan ?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 26, 2018 17:50

mjmjr
floodonthepage
Maybe it was mentioned somewhere on this thread, but is it truly the case that there is no BluRay/CD combo of "Uncut" in the U.S., only imports? My local (last surviving) music store looked it up on their system and told me it was only available as DVD/CD in the States....so I bought it that way. What's confusing is that it looks like Amazon has U.S. BluRay/CD combos, but I'm uncertain because Amazon has (in my experience) NOT had the greatest grasp on format differences and has been rather loose with their product descriptions at times.

Blue ray/cd combo is available in US ....I picked mine up in local record store outside Philadelphia

Shoot......really? Well, damn. Although I know BluRay won't do much for the image on this release, it would have helped with the audio....although the sound isn't terribly well mixed anyway....so maybe I'll just move on and keep the DVD/CD edition as is. Thank you for the update, mjmjr.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 19:46 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 26, 2018 19:20

OK, guys.
Please show me loud and clear guitars. Just the first 50 seconds in mp3
I Go Wild from CD single I Go Wild [VSCDX 1539], 1995
It is claimed on the back cover of the single - recorded in Miami, Florida, November 25, 1994.
[www.dropbox.com]
I Go Wild from the recent Voodoo Lounge Uncut CD, 2018
[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 19:21 by ironbelly.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 26, 2018 19:30

Ironbelly wrote"OK, guys.
It is claimed on the back cover of the single - recorded in Miami, Florida, November 25, 1994.
[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]"

Oh Dear… . The Uncut 2018 sounds awful in comparison. For me, get Keef and Ronnies guitar as crisp as possible, 2, Charlie as crisp as possible, 3, Chuck shall be inbetween them, especially the organ must be audible. How hard could it be?!?!?!?!?!angry smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-26 19:31 by MadMax.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: November 27, 2018 04:54

The show was cool. Not my favorite live release. The band seemed a bit nervous and self concious. Cheryl Crow sucked. Mick seemed nervous/high/tense. Jumpin Jack Flash is excellent Keiths set Miss You and Brown Sugar standed out aswell. I loved the good version of Sparks too.

The highlight for me are the.bonus tracks. The band is loose and on fire there.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2018 06:18

ironbelly
OK, guys.
[www.dropbox.com]
[www.dropbox.com]

Wow, what a difference.

Date: November 27, 2018 13:25

Sheryl Crow, I just remembered guested on Live With Me and what was noteworthy was that she sang the first verse instead of Mick . I should have said she screamed the lyrics . I really Love Sheryl Crow smoking smiley

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: November 27, 2018 16:20

So I dusted my old I Go Wild single and I did the same thing as ironbelly, but I put both versions in the same file (both in mono).

The first half is from Voodoo Lounge Uncut (obviously...) and the second half from the single.

As I've said before, it is pretty obvious there is a huge problem here. Or maybe they expect us to buy a "Remastered" version of VL Uncut? Oh wait, it was supposed to be "remastered"... angry smiley

[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-27 16:22 by GivenToFly15.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 27, 2018 16:27

GivenToFly15
So I dusted my old I Go Wild single and I did the same thing as ironbelly, but I put both versions in the same file (both in mono).

The first half is from Voodoo Lounge Uncut (obviously...) and the second half from the single.

As I've said before, it is pretty obvious there is a huge problem here. Or maybe they expect us to buy a "Remastered" version of VL Uncut? Oh wait, it was supposed to be "remastered"... angry smiley

[soundcloud.com]
Wow, that is a stark contrast.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 27, 2018 16:37

I still think it sounds OK .

Different...maybe...but on vinyl I've found it enjoyable & interesting.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: November 27, 2018 20:08

is not my favourite edited show and i read a lot of bad comments...

Which the best option to buy??

- DVD alone or Blu-Ray alone?

- Vinyl or 2CD+ DVD (or Blu-ray)?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 27, 2018 20:29

It’s been a long running problem with most ‘video’ releases last couple of years... (both, but especially Keith’s) guitars waaaaaaaay down in the mix... pro’ly cause Commander has a firm hand on its releases; whereas ‘the string section’ can’t be bothered really...?!

Anyway: on these last couple of releases, I‘ve been in serious doubt over whether future generations will consider the Stones a guitar-based band or not, based on material like thát.

Still have to listen to VLUnc.; but it’s starting to look gloomy, reading all these comments.

P.S.: I quite remember the VHS being rather OK - also in the guitar department?!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 28, 2018 13:16

RoughJusticeOnYa
It’s been a long running problem with most ‘video’ releases last couple of years... (both, but especially Keith’s) guitars waaaaaaaay down in the mix... pro’ly cause Commander has a firm hand on its releases; whereas ‘the string section’ can’t be bothered really...?!

Anyway: on these last couple of releases, I‘ve been in serious doubt over whether future generations will consider the Stones a guitar-based band or not, based on material like thát.

Still have to listen to VLUnc.; but it’s starting to look gloomy, reading all these comments.

P.S.: I quite remember the VHS being rather OK - also in the guitar department?!

But Rough Justice you haven’t listened, and form opinion on others who are quite critical. Yes the mix is disappointing but still an upgrade IMO. It’s a well played show nonetheless.

Date: November 28, 2018 13:29

rogerriffin
is not my favourite edited show and i read a lot of bad comments...

Which the best option to buy??

- DVD alone or Blu-Ray alone?

- Vinyl or 2CD+ DVD (or Blu-ray)?
Best Bang for your buck would be 2CD+DVD (Blue Ray )

Date: November 28, 2018 14:56

Maindefender
RoughJusticeOnYa

But Rough Justice you haven’t listened, and form opinion on others who are quite critical. Yes the mix is disappointing but still an upgrade IMO. It’s a well played show nonetheless.

Yea, you’re right maindefender; I realise that.
But you’re misreading me (or I’m expressing myself badly here... cool smiley ); I’m nót “forming an opinion” on anyone or anything, other than the latter day video releases (“Vaults” etc.) Much as I like the fact that they’re released, I just think the balance between guitars & rest of the band, Keith’s channel in particular, is uneven ánd ‘un-Stonesy’ to my ears.
And I am genuinly afraid that it will turn out to be like this yet again, with VL (one I have been particularly looking forward to, cause I loved that tour.)
That’s all. But rest assured: I’ll give it a decent spin! smoking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 28, 2018 15:12

RoughJusticeOnYa
Maindefender
RoughJusticeOnYa

But you’re misreading me (or I’m expressing myself badly here... cool smiley ); I’m nót “forming an opinion” on anyone or anything, other than the latter day video releases (“Vaults” etc.) Much as I like the fact that they’re released, I just think the balance between guitars & rest of the band, Keith’s channel in particular, is uneven ánd ‘un-Stonesy’ to my ears.
And I am genuinly afraid that it will turn out to be like this yet again, with VL (one I have been particularly looking forward to, cause I loved that tour.)

My takeaway is the guitars were not allowed to shine like they should have. Could have been a modern era classic...

Posted by: Lucab12 ()
Date: November 28, 2018 21:08

Im glad it wasnt just me that thought the mix was bad. Compared to Clearmountain doing Brussels 73 I thought this was worse than the bootlegs

Posted by: Lucab12 ()
Date: November 28, 2018 23:43

[www.dailymotion.com]

At 3:47 you can see the “uncut” implants on ht women

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: November 29, 2018 01:28

I forgot about Axl.....Salt of the Earth. They did a good job.
I enjoyed the stage and lighting as well, it was a great show.
I remember feeling so excited that the Stones were back and out on the road

Date: December 1, 2018 13:08

Maindefender
RoughJusticeOnYa
Maindefender
RoughJusticeOnYa

My takeaway is the guitars were not allowed to shine like they should have. Could have been a modern era classic...

Deeply, deeply disappointed with what I heard, yesterday evening, from my "VL Uncut" Blu ray.
In fact, this release is 100% redundant for me.
NO guitars. 40% of what comes out of the speakers, is Jagger's voice. Not to take anything away from him: this AIN'T the Stones. Period!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 1, 2018 14:13

On thing to keep in mind about this mix is it's not as loud as previous archive releases. This may give the impression that the guitar are burried in the mix. But if if you listen on a good audio equipement you can hear everything clearly, including the guitars. In comparison, the mix on San Jose '99 is louder and more upfront.

Date: December 1, 2018 14:35

...I have PERFECT (hi-fi) audio equipment - rest assured.
Annd it IS a matter of 'balance' ( > mixing); nót (just) 'volume'.
OK; maybe it's not as 'loud' as previous releases... but then one only has to turn up the volume, right? Only to hear mr. Jagger even lóuder...

Those guitars are mixed like f.i. the guitars of a Billy Joel backing band;
nót for a guitar-driven sound like the Stones (should) have.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: December 1, 2018 16:42

They probably put some hotshot millennials in charge of this release. It's not really their fault but they likely have no idea what it should sound like....

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 19:20

kowalski
On thing to keep in mind about this mix is it's not as loud as previous archive releases. This may give the impression that the guitar are burried in the mix. But if if you listen on a good audio equipement you can hear everything clearly, including the guitars. In comparison, the mix on San Jose '99 is louder and more upfront.

No it’s not only a matter of volume. As documented previously in this thread (by comparing between the two official mixes of I Go Wild). The guitars are mostly buried here. I doubt that someone even did any extra work for this release. Anyone with a little taste would have tried to improve this. Maybe Eagle didn’t have access to the masters. Anyhow it’s a rip off.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: December 1, 2018 20:29

it is possible that this collection comes out in Cd alone and also the From the vault

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home