Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge Uncut
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:38

Yeah, I still have this gathering dust as a VHS tape of the actual broadcast. They have the individual tracks available on ITunes, so I'll scan those at my leisure and see if anything stands out. For the most part it's the same old tired setlist they've been handing us post-Wyman. If I remember the highlight of that tour was the mini-acoustic set. Maybe there's something decent there.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 20, 2018 21:40

On the issue of quality, I decided to to compare Tumbling Dice from the new Uncut and the LaughingSam mix. I only played the first minute so if someone else has time to dig deeper please do and share your findings. Using the program Spek the Uncut version has 20khz compared to LaughingSam at 16khz. With Nero Sound Waves I can see there is almost no brick walling while LaughingSam has some. Just listening I can hear the instruments clearer (including Keith). Also LaughingSam version sounds noisier to my ears. I did however notice some drop outs in the guitars and agree Micks voice is a bit high on Uncut. However I prefer the new release. To each is own but I thought I would share this information.

Date: November 20, 2018 21:56

<For the most part it's the same old tired setlist they've been handing us post-Wyman>

Really?

I must have missed the 1997-2018-versions of the following tracks smiling smiley

“Not Fade Away”
“Sparks Will Fly”
“Stop Breakin’ Down”
“Who Do You Love?”
“I Go Wild”
“Out Of Tears”
“I Can’t Get Next To You”

+ many songs they very rarely play, like:

Shattered
Monkey Man
The Worst
It's All Over Now
Heartbreaker
Sweet Virginia
Live With Me
Rocks Off
Beast Of Burden

Hardly the «the same old tired setlist»...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 16:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: November 20, 2018 22:12

Shade
Would love an official video release of “Terrifying” with CD’s
Saw it on Pay Per View, had it taped on VHS which eventually got chewed by player
That had Eric and John Lee, right?

soon

Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: November 20, 2018 23:06

I hope this isn't the wrong way to ask about official stuff but can somebody post the extra dvd songs to youtube. I bought the album but I dont have Shattered, Out Of Tears and All Down The Line. Didnt mean to offend anybody, I love this site, Jacksonville here I come! Thanks frtylicks

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:41

Mine finally came in the mail yesterday .So now I wont have to send out dead flowers to my wedding . I will be watching it over the Thanksgiving break

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:44

Rockman
"So Flood and keefriff are tit men ………"
Flood:
"
No, I'm actually an ass man, but I won't pass up a good pair of tits…"

Come to think of it, I think most of us Stones fanatics are ass men...? Something to do with that low down stuff we all love..

Now how about the ladies on this site, what do you prefer when it comes to us gentlemen??

Considering the mix, maybe it got to do with the different amps and pickups. For instance, the Junior Single Cut Sunburst '57 that Keith uses got a very different P-90 sound than his other two TV coloured ones (56's if I remember correctly). Also his Tom Anderson used on Monkey and Beast got a different sound than the ones he is using nowadays, the TV 56 Single Cut and Black 355. But considering the great mix on the San Jose '99 release it is strange that they didn't get that dangerous "crunch" on this one?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-21 16:50 by MadMax.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: November 21, 2018 16:50

frankotero
On the issue of quality, I decided to to compare Tumbling Dice from the new Uncut and the LaughingSam mix. I only played the first minute so if someone else has time to dig deeper please do and share your findings. Using the program Spek the Uncut version has 20khz compared to LaughingSam at 16khz. With Nero Sound Waves I can see there is almost no brick walling while LaughingSam has some. Just listening I can hear the instruments clearer (including Keith). Also LaughingSam version sounds noisier to my ears. I did however notice some drop outs in the guitars and agree Micks voice is a bit high on Uncut. However I prefer the new release. To each is own but I thought I would share this information.

Thanks. I wanted to do the same thing and compare I Go Wild from the new VL Uncut and the single version. If I have time, i'll do it. But I can confirm that the mix is much better on the single. For instance, a few riffs are inaudible on Uncut whereas everything is crystal clear on the single mix. Not to mention the vocals or the drums. To be continued...

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 21, 2018 20:57

I haven't read thru all 23 pages, but what's puzzling me is that the bootleg DVD I bought in Thailand in 2003 (original 17 track version) seems to have better picture and audio quality than VL Uncut.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 22, 2018 00:04

Maybe it was mentioned somewhere on this thread, but is it truly the case that there is no BluRay/CD combo of "Uncut" in the U.S., only imports? My local (last surviving) music store looked it up on their system and told me it was only available as DVD/CD in the States....so I bought it that way. What's confusing is that it looks like Amazon has U.S. BluRay/CD combos, but I'm uncertain because Amazon has (in my experience) NOT had the greatest grasp on format differences and has been rather loose with their product descriptions at times.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:34

floodonthepage
Maybe it was mentioned somewhere on this thread, but is it truly the case that there is no BluRay/CD combo of "Uncut" in the U.S., only imports? My local (last surviving) music store looked it up on their system and told me it was only available as DVD/CD in the States....so I bought it that way. What's confusing is that it looks like Amazon has U.S. BluRay/CD combos, but I'm uncertain because Amazon has (in my experience) NOT had the greatest grasp on format differences and has been rather loose with their product descriptions at times.

Agree that Amazon US can be vague regarding the latest DVD/CD combos. I believe the only option is Blu-ray, I have Blu-ray.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:38

DandelionPowderman

Really?

I must have missed the 1997-2018-versions of the following tracks smiling smiley

“Not Fade Away”
“Sparks Will Fly”
“Stop Breakin’ Down”
“Who Do You Love?”
“I Go Wild”
“Out Of Tears”

Shattered
Monkey Man
The Worst
It's All Over Now
Heartbreaker
Sweet Virginia
Live With Me
Rocks Off
Beast Of Burden

The same old tired setlist started with the stadium shows from the LICKS tour and has been present ever since. VOODOO and BRIDGES/NS had fantastic setlists in comparison to anything from 2002 onward.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:47

The Worst wrote: "I haven't read thru all 23 pages, but what's puzzling me is that the bootleg DVD I bought in Thailand in 2003 (original 17 track version) seems to have better picture and audio quality than VL Uncut."

That's funny, I remember I got my (bootlegged) DVD of the show in Kuala Lumpur in january 2004. Hilarious!!! Must've been from the same source and warehouse!!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 22, 2018 01:51

DandelionPowderman

Really?

“Not Fade Away”
“Sparks Will Fly”
“Stop Breakin’ Down”
“Who Do You Love?”
“I Go Wild”
“Out Of Tears”

Shattered
Monkey Man
The Worst
It's All Over Now
Heartbreaker
Sweet Virginia
Live With Me
Rocks Off
Beast Of Burden

Many of those songs were part of the VL album they were carrying around, others were played only that particular evening.

Date: November 22, 2018 02:18

Testify
DandelionPowderman

Really?

“Not Fade Away”
“Sparks Will Fly”
Stop Breakin’ Down
Who Do You Love?”
“I Go Wild”
“Out Of Tears”

Shattered
Monkey Man
The Worst
It's All Over Now
Heartbreaker
Sweet Virginia
Live With Me
Rocks Off
Beast Of Burden

Many of those songs were part of the VL album they were carrying around, others were played only that particular evening.

Those in bold of that particular evening, everything else was the usual.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 22, 2018 10:28

Picked it up yesterday on my usual vinyl.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the sound quality.

Not stupid loud or compressed, so may sound a bit soft to some...

...but played via good equipment the sound is quite open & natural.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 10:36 by Spud.

Date: November 22, 2018 11:05

The Worst.
I haven't read thru all 23 pages, but what's puzzling me is that the bootleg DVD I bought in Thailand in 2003 (original 17 track version) seems to have better picture and audio quality than VL Uncut.

Even the VHS-mix (the official release from 1995) sounds better..

Date: November 22, 2018 11:08

GasLightStreet
Testify
DandelionPowderman

Really?

“Not Fade Away”
“Sparks Will Fly”
Stop Breakin’ Down
Who Do You Love?”
“I Go Wild”
“Out Of Tears”

Shattered
Monkey Man
The Worst
It's All Over Now
Heartbreaker
Sweet Virginia
Live With Me
Rocks Off
Beast Of Burden

The usual? I replied to a post that claimed that all these tunes were «the same ol' tired songs ever since (1997-2018). That's clearly false smiling smiley

PS: Was Shattered really a staple in the setlist on the VL tour in the US?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 11:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: November 22, 2018 16:55

DandelionPowderman

Really?

“Not Fade Away”
“Sparks Will Fly”
“Stop Breakin’ Down”
“Who Do You Love?”
“I Go Wild”
“Out Of Tears”

Shattered
Monkey Man
The Worst
It's All Over Now
Heartbreaker
Sweet Virginia
Live With Me
Rocks Off
Beast Of Burden

Who do you love? was played once 2012 with Black keys. But anyway it's still very rare.

Date: November 22, 2018 16:59

That's right, Harry thumbs up

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 22, 2018 17:04

Got mine and listened the other day. While there are a few tracks that stand out (I think it’s a stellar Before They Make Me Run especially), I have a hard time with some of the half-assed-ness of a number of tunes that stand out in this. Sympathy, for example, starts and ends so quickly it’s as if they’re just try8ng to get it out of the way— Also sounds like the guitar solos are not really properly rehearsed, as K+R seem to collide instead of give each other space. Monkey Man starts out sweet, but then the drums come in too fast and ruin the feel, and Keith can barely keep up with him. It’s one of my favorite Stones songs ever, yet they cannot seem to put anything into it on stage. The climax, “I’m a monkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....” is always so subdued and tame. I know they’re not in their twenties in 1994, but they were every bit youthful enough to put a little more heart and soul into these songs. A number of them seem especially phoned in in this release, auditorily. And sadly, I feel the guitars are mixed too low in much of the duration, which unfortunately brings Chuck Leavell’s overemphasis on the right third of his piano right up front, way too often. Street Fighting Man should NEVER have cutesy, festive, tinkering, high piano notes at any point. I loved the two (!) VL shows I attended in ‘94, but this release highlights all that has been wrong with the Stones live shows from ‘89 onward, imho.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: November 22, 2018 18:34

floodonthepage

Blue ray/cd combo is available in US ....I picked mine up in local record store outside Philadelphia

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: November 22, 2018 19:34

If I am correct the orginal VHS was mixed by Bob Clearmountain. Why they didn't use that one.
Who can help me out and want to send me the audio of bonustracks from New Jersey?

marnix025@hotmail.com

Date: November 23, 2018 04:13

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Testify
DandelionPowderman

Really?

“Not Fade Away”
“Sparks Will Fly”
Stop Breakin’ Down
Who Do You Love?”
“I Go Wild”
“Out Of Tears”

Shattered
Monkey Man
The Worst
It's All Over Now
Heartbreaker
Sweet Virginia
Live With Me
Rocks Off
Beast Of Burden

The usual? I replied to a post that claimed that all these tunes were «the same ol' tired songs ever since (1997-2018). That's clearly false smiling smiley

PS: Was Shattered really a staple in the setlist on the VL tour in the US?

Sorry. "The usual" meaning for the VOODOO tour, which includes Shattered, played at most shows in 1994.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: November 23, 2018 10:16

They got rid of the titz?

That was always one of my favourite bit!

Date: November 23, 2018 10:24

Monkeytonkman
They got rid of the titz?

That was always one of my favourite bit!

eye rolling smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: November 23, 2018 10:32

Who mixed this release? Chuck? It's horrible, a childhood memory destroyed :O

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 23, 2018 15:23

Lorenz
Who mixed this release? Chuck? It's horrible, a childhood memory destroyed :O

Chuck's not to blame for this terrible mix...but it's very disappointing...

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 23, 2018 15:35

Maybe Chuck should have.

Date: November 23, 2018 15:51

Give it another listen...and turn it up .

The dynamics are more natural than with many recent live releases and it needs a bit of volume to come alive.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 23 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1891
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home