Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge Uncut
Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: November 18, 2018 05:18

Sounds OK to me and I have good equipment. Watched the bluray twice. The original source was probably not that good to begin with. I wasn’t expecting IMAX Steel Wheels quality. The Voodoo Lounge concert in Oakland on Halloween night was one of my favorite concert experiences. Watched the NJ concert tape sold at the show that night with my cat Cuddles by my side and then went to bed and got up for work the next day.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 18, 2018 05:18

I bought it, amassing a collection for someone who doesn’t collect
I don’t watch them either I wanted CD’s for my auto
which is stuck on Brussels TD ‘ooh la la, ooh la la’ says Mick after
anyway back to Voodoo Uncut it sounds flat on Spotify (brickwalled!)
I am banking on the CD’s sounding richer for sure
and after internal debate decided
no reserve left
to check out/
‘Beast of Burden’
in spectacular blu buff Mick glory. Uh-uh. Nor the exquisite guitars.
Nope. I cannot take anymore smoke and fire ha ha ha smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2018 06:56

It's not uncut - Keith's destruction of SFTD's solo is missing.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: November 18, 2018 12:53

GasLightStreet

Yes, was looking forward to that one!

It does sound a bit muddy, but the ppv boot had the same. Or in fact most SBS from that tour. Compare NY 1994 to St. Louis 1997

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 18, 2018 13:57

the recording sounds muffled like the mics have been behind some curtain. It doesn't have anything to do with 90s technology – the recordings of the 95 club shows are brilliant; they sound crisp and clear

I made a somehow better sounding recording of a Voodoo Louge show with a simple tape recorder than the VL uncut recording

Or is there something wrong with my ears…?

(sorry if it has been discussed before)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 18, 2018 13:58

GasLightStreet

Very odd since you can hear the out of key destruction and the overdubbed solo at same time, it's like they didn't bother to mute the flubbed solo.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 18, 2018 14:41

keefriff99

The drums are crisper and louder but it seems to be at the expense of the guitars and horns, and Mick is so far out in front of the mix that he sounds like he's performing on a different stage.

And Keith's botched SFTD solo is still skillfully excised.
Second this. Too much Mick and Charlie (and in places - Darryl). Everything else sounds from under the veil.

The cure for SFTD solo is funny, though.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 18, 2018 15:17

nick
The frustration in some opinions on it's sound is justified. The live I Go Wild on the 1995 single is from the PPV and ALL of it is in your face.

Absolutely, and that's what what struck me too when I compared. Either they did not bother to dig out the original multitrack tapes again for this release and just tried to fiddle the EQ on a less than perfect old stereo mix tape or Clearmountain's replacement has no ears to mix the Stones and was just used because he offered to do the job much cheaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-18 15:18 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 18, 2018 15:30

retired_dog

Either they did not bother to dig out the original multitrack tapes again for this release and just tried to fiddle the EQ on a less than perfect old stereo mix tape or Clearmountain's replacement has no ears to mix the Stones and was just used because he offered to do the job much cheaper.

Time for a new Series (after Vault, Uncut) then: 'Restored' - Music as it was intended to be recorded / to be heard .... winking smiley

Date: November 18, 2018 15:35

Irix
retired_dog

Either they did not bother to dig out the original multitrack tapes again for this release and just tried to fiddle the EQ on a less than perfect old stereo mix tape or Clearmountain's replacement has no ears to mix the Stones and was just used because he offered to do the job much cheaper.

Time for a new Series (after Vault, Uncut) then : 'Restored' - Music as it was intended to be recorded / to be heard .... winking smiley

thumbs up

Date: November 18, 2018 15:42

On a more serious note, one has to ask why there's obviously no quality control from the band anymore...is there any input from the band at all in projects like this or just a "sign the deal, grab the royalties and let third parties do whatever they want with the material"-attitude?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: November 18, 2018 15:55

Who knows, maybe Clearmountain or someone close to him reads this forum, in fact I can not even explain the quality of the sound on these concerts. We are in 2018 and I can not explain the reason for the sound of certain Stones concerts!

Date: November 18, 2018 16:25

Irix
retired_dog

Time for a new Series (after Vault, Uncut) then: 'Restored' - Music as it was intended to be recorded / to be heard .... winking smiley
They will need new slogan. 'Meant to be heard' was already used for 2002 SACD/ABKCO campaign winking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 18, 2018 16:39

retired_dog
On a more serious note, one has to ask why there's obviously no quality control from the band anymore...is there any input from the band at all in projects like this or just a "sign the deal, grab the royalties and let third parties do whatever they want with the material"-attitude?
Certainly seems that way.

I watched about half the show yesterday and I did enjoy it, sound issues aside. Sparks Will Fly was actually the biggest revelation for me...never really enjoyed the album version but live, Keith and Ronnie really let it fly on the guitars.

Live With Me...the vocals were very jarring. Sheryl's voice just blared out on top of everything.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: November 18, 2018 16:43

Wish they released the new jersey bonus as audio i love shattered and cant get next to you from that show

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 18, 2018 16:43

ironbelly
Irix
retired_dog

They will need new slogan. 'Meant to be heard' was already used for 2002 SACD/ABKCO campaign winking smiley

they did a pretty good job! – compared to the remastered versions of the 1971-onwards remasters

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 18, 2018 18:00

Monkey man stands out for me.
Thanks to LISA... One SEXY Woman as hell.
Gezzz beautiful

All in all, the guitars are way too soft in the mix. no. i dont like this release. there are some good bits, like Rocks off, and Lisa.

But thats it.

Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-18 18:09 by corriecas.

Date: November 18, 2018 18:42

They sucked the life out of the original recording with this one. The sound comes and goes, the guitars wander in and out of the soundscape. The punch is gone.

Listen to the DF intro!

Well done...

Date: November 18, 2018 18:57

Hi all
I would like to buy this live which finally relesed complete version and i have one question, what you think sd blu ray would sound better or DVD? thanks

Best regards rts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-18 18:58 by RollingTbilisiStones.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 18, 2018 19:15

Well, the merchandise is great anyway. You can buy this in 50 ways. And probably 50 ways more. A completist's nightmare..

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 18, 2018 19:19

DandelionPowderman
They sucked the life out of the original recording with this one. The sound comes and goes, the guitars wander in and out of the soundscape. The punch is gone.

Listen to the DF intro!

Well done...
It's ironic that they fixed my biggest complaint with the original, which was that the drums were too quiet, and in doing so broke almost everything else.

Date: November 18, 2018 19:28

RollingTbilisiStones
Hi all
I would like to buy this live which finally relesed complete version and i have one question, what you think sd blu ray would sound better or DVD? thanks

Best regards rts
You will have the same mix. The only difference Bluray = lossless, DVD = lossy. If you can hear differences, lets say, between wav and mp3 320kb/sec - head for Bluray.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 18, 2018 19:47

I just listened to CD ‘Beast of Burden’ 3x
The guitar playing, I have to see it tonight on the blu ray.
I will be cleaved like I was watching ‘Totally Stripped’ BOB Keith acoustic
This particular RS composition with it’s lilts sounds driving to the trance of it for years.
I am quite pleased to hear and own this version.

I give thanks this Thanksgiving that
I GOT BEAST OF BURDEN AT TWICKENHAM 2018
grinning smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 18, 2018 19:58

I watched the DVD last night and totally enjoyed it. It’s a long show, which is a bonus, and what wouldn’t we give to see them do Stop Breaking Down these days? I didn’t notice any particular issues with the sound, but I wasn’t giving it too much scrutiny - just thought it was the perfect companion for a Saturday night’s viewing.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: November 18, 2018 20:10

Hi all. I haven’t posted in a while (those damn cancer treatments). But I got the Blu-ray and cds yesterday and threw on the video right away. I don’t get this mix - esp in DTS surround. Charlie’s cymbals are barely audible. ESP the ride and crash cymbals. The guitars are waaay to low in the mix, and lacking “crunch”. The whole thing is Mick, Chuck and the snare drum way out front, everything else mashed into an indestinct mash-up of background noise.

Reminds me of the Tokyo Dome vault show. Another great one absolutely ruined by a dreadful mix.

Remix voodoo uncut so it sound crisp and clean like Brussels. And for gods sake, find a clip of Love is Strong - even just the music video as an extra. It was the lead / comeback single from the whole voodoo project!

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: November 18, 2018 20:57

Seriously, someone with contact should warn the Stones regarding this problem, otherwise it will go on with future releases. WHoever was in charge clearly did not bother with the sound (and we know because we have another mix to compare it with: the I Go Wild single). This does not do justice to their music, especially the guitar work (aren't the Stones a guitars band?).

Anyway I should receive the colored-vinyl package tomorrow. I will most certainly sell it because I won't be listening to this stuff very often... Such a pity.

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: November 18, 2018 21:29

Well maybe they should try hire Giles Martin for that kind of releases next time . He`s a clever guy who did a very nice remaster-job for another english band ..

Posted by: nick ()
Date: November 18, 2018 22:03

Clearmountain did the I Go Wild live single. Product A (single) to Product B (uncut) is night and day. There are no problems with multi's. For a "Top Shelf" band that has made a history of tweeking and overdubbing live songs in a studio, to let this go by is ridiculous. I can say this because I am more a purchaser of the BRAND and NOT a fan of the band. I see right through that crap of "they will buy anything". This is absolutely piss poor product. Period. You got to get a knowledgeable fan in there with them otherwise these releases going forward are going to go downhill in quality. Plenty of people on this board alone could handle it better than whats going on now.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 18, 2018 22:13

I distinctly remember watching the pay per view of this show when it was originally broadcast and thought the sound was absolutely horrible. I have bought this new version but am in no hurry to watch it after what I have read here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 15:57 by donvis.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 18, 2018 22:40

keefriff99
retired_dog
Certainly seems that way.

I watched about half the show yesterday and I did enjoy it, sound issues aside. Sparks Will Fly was actually the biggest revelation for me...never really enjoyed the album version but live, Keith and Ronnie really let it fly on the guitars.

Live With Me...the vocals were very jarring. Sheryl's voice just blared out on top of everything.

Yeah Sparks was very good, and the quality is much better than my Tuff Bites bootleg. No real complaints...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1964
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home