Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 28
Re: New dvd release: Voodoo Lounge Uncut
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 30, 2018 00:25

exilestones
I looked forward to the “new” Voodoo songs when they played them in '94. That tour, the band/stage design crew put a good effort into the production values on those new songs. Whether it was flashing “Internet” lights during Sparks, or screen graphics, it made it interesting to the casual fan as well.

Great List….it would have been fantastic to have the DC show be the ‘bonus’ so the New Jersey show, only sold on VHS, could be released in it’s entirety unedited!! As you know, the beginning of a tour, including some stage props, Voodoo Men, Choreography/Costumes originally during Love is Strong changed to Sympathy, song arrangements and song choices ALWAYS changes from the first week of the tour to the end of the tour. Glad to get this release but it does seem strange not to get the hit single "Love is Strong."quote=exilestones

----------------------

video: [www.youtube.com]
Rolling Stones - Love Is Strong (MTV Video Music Awards 1994)

Very strange indeed that their "big hit" from this era is not included on DVD with this release. If they were not happy with the Giants Stadium version, including the Love Is Strong version you highlighted from the MTV 1994 show would have been a nice addition to this set. Sometimes, I just do not understand the thinking of the Stones organization. A lot of these re-releases they do half-assed-like releasing half of the 1971 Roundhouse gig (which is clearly superior performance wise to the Leeds show) on the Sticky Fingers re-release.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-30 00:31 by Sighunt.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 30, 2018 00:49

nick
USA & Japan Blu-ray's have the same region code. DVD's have different region codes.

THANKS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-30 12:28 by exilestones.

Date: September 30, 2018 12:50

Sighunt

Very strange indeed that their "big hit" from this era is not included on DVD with this release. If they were not happy with the Giants Stadium version, including the Love Is Strong version you highlighted from the MTV 1994 show would have been a nice addition to this set. Sometimes, I just do not understand the thinking of the Stones organization. A lot of these re-releases they do half-assed-like releasing half of the 1971 Roundhouse gig (which is clearly superior performance wise to the Leeds show) on the Sticky Fingers re-release.

The Roundhouse is great! Muck more kick-ass then Leeds '71. We don't know why the rest of Roundhouse wasn't released. There may have been a good reason. I'm thankful for what we got.

The MTV performance of "Love is Strong" is very good and would be the perfect fit for this project. I've noticed and heard inside stories about some of these projects. My conclusion is to why some of them are not better are two basic reasons. The projects are not done with the help of knowledgeable fans and money. It's business. There's a budget. There's material that would make some of these projects greater but there's thousands of dollars more it would cost to purchase.

Say a fan has some great recordings. The fan thinks that they should get thousands of dollars for their rare material. After all, the Stones and Eagle Rock (or whomever) are making thousands. The company doesn't want to spend the money and they really don't care about the best project possible.

Why didn't the Stones play "Love is Strong" at the pay-per-view? I'm guessing it was hard to play live? They also had guest stars to fit in.

Of course some footage of the Voodoo guy on stilts from DC would have been cool, even if it was just a photo for this project.

Dan wrote: "OH No…what an omission ("Love is Strong")!! That is a BAD MISTAKE!!!

There is a good version from 3/12/95 in Japan featured in the VooDoo in Japan laser disc. For this “Uncut” project, they would not want to use DC or NJ as Jagger was still in the “VooDoo” costume during “Love Is Strong” . Remember later in the tour, and at the Miami show they switched the outfit to use during “Sympathy For The Devil” .

Maybe they see the song as not essential as it was not the ‘hit’ that “Mixed Emotions” was from the previous album. I really like “Love Is Strong” it is one of their best 1989-2005 songs. The power of the guitars was welcome after a thinner sounding guitar tone on Steel Wheels. The ‘return’ to Mick’s blues harmonica playing harkens back to the band’s previous history in the early days. They won an award for the promotional video too. So what happened? The song a a BIG part of the VooDoo Lounge Tour set list. Short sided AGAIN, by the ‘powers that be’ I think.

And just when I thought they had a near perfect project."

Live at the 1994 MTV Video Music Awards, Radio City Music Hall, New York, September 8, 1994

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 30, 2018 12:59

Rolling Stones Store doesn't list catalog numbers. I'm assuming the CDs aren't SHM-CDs like Japan is offering?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 30, 2018 16:10

exilestones
Sighunt

The Roundhouse is great! Muck more kick-ass then Leeds '71. We don't know why the rest of Roundhouse wasn't released. There may have been a good reason. I'm thankful for what we got.

The MTV performance of "Love is Strong" is very good and would be the perfect fit for this project. I've noticed and heard inside stories about some of these projects. My conclusion is to why some of them are not better are two basic reasons. The projects are not done with the help of knowledgeable fans and money. It's business. quote=exilestones
------

quote=Sighunt] BINGO!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-30 16:14 by Sighunt.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 30, 2018 17:11

‘Ironically this photo is from the Babylon Tour’

still hot hot hot

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 1, 2018 02:19

35love
Paddy
keefriff99
I didn't get to see the Voodoo Lounge tour, but I do have a t-shirt from the tour that's 22 years old. It's pretty beat up but still wearable at concerts.

Commandment #2 of the rock n roll bible states:

"Thou shalt not wear a concert shirt from a concert you did not attend, lest you be smote"

Agree! There was a caveat added to the R & R bible commandment in 2015 *Zipcode:
If said rocker shows up online, on time, to try and painfully catch and surf a
LIVE FEED,
this constitutes a tee- shirt.

I’m glad to have been made aware of this amendment! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-01 02:20 by Paddy.

Date: October 3, 2018 13:13

Dan wrote: : "I think the omission from the Miami concert was due more to time constraints for the broadcast and length of set list with the ‘mini-unplugged/acoustic set”.

Maybe the band wanted less “new” songs in the set list for a wider Pay Per View audience…

“You Got me Rocking” is more upbeat and energetic for stadiums….

“I Go Wild”, with its choreographed walk by all 3 guitarist down the ramp together, was still a ‘showpiece’.

“Love Is Strong” had become just a regular new song in the set list when it lost the Jagger Voodoo costume change …now featured during “Sympathy…”

Easy cut from the set list. It was right back in the rest of the tour….

However, in the context of a true “UNCUT” representation of the Voodoo Lounge” Tour, it is an unforgivable omission from the project, regardless of the excuses or reasoning."

Yeah, the MTV live performance would have been a perfect bonus track even if Mick did wear the same outfit twice.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 3, 2018 15:57

Paddy
35love
Paddy
keefriff99
I didn't get to see the Voodoo Lounge tour, but I do have a t-shirt from the tour that's 22 years old. It's pretty beat up but still wearable at concerts.

Commandment #2 of the rock n roll bible states:

"Thou shalt not wear a concert shirt from a concert you did not attend, lest you be smote"

Agree! There was a caveat added to the R & R bible commandment in 2015 *Zipcode:
If said rocker shows up online, on time, to try and painfully catch and surf a
LIVE FEED,
this constitutes a tee- shirt.

I’m glad to have been made aware of this amendment! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 16:19 by keefriff99.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:00

I can't believe all off the bitching and moaning about Love is Strong! Jesus Christ... Just be glad you're getting something so soon after the San José release!

High points for the album are Angie/Dead Flowers/Monkey Man/Sweet Virginia/DooDooDooDooDoo...and I love the artwork design...

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:40

Any info on Moon is Up?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 3, 2018 16:59

Love Is Strong from the Tokyo Dome, March 12, 1995.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 3, 2018 18:59

It would be sad if this release is considered "marred" by the omission of LIS. A CD single or a download of it could smooth things over. Sweet Summer Sun Japan CD 3 has bonus track Happy all alone so it's not out of the question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-03 20:32 by nick.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 3, 2018 19:07

Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

pretty sure this show will get an official blu ray release someday,
even it will only be a japan only vault release.

Date: October 3, 2018 19:10

nick
It would be sad if this release is considered "marred" by the omission of LIS. A CD single or a download of it could smooth things over. Sweet Summer Sun Japan CD 3 has bonus track Happy all alone so it's not out of the question. The 25yr old LIS has been troublesome twice in the past 4 months. (The other being that organ variation on the vinyl set from this summer).

That was "Mixed Emotions"

Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 3, 2018 20:31

LOL Yeah it was. Thank you for the correction. I'm going to clear that out.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: October 4, 2018 14:56

falo01
Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

I always thought this was semi official, Given the quality

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 4, 2018 15:34

Anyone else got a reaction from Amazon.co.uk today, saying that the 2 CD + Blu Ray combi was “no longer available” (yeah, I thought that was pretty funny too smoking smiley ) and that they therefor had cancelled my pre-order?

Any chance (though I hope not) the ‘first’ Blu Ray + audio combi turns out to be a hoax after all?

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: October 4, 2018 18:22

They cancelled mine too! I dont think the set is a hoax as HMV have it listed as do the official site. Odd really as I always use Amazon.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 4, 2018 18:26

Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

None of the live versions of this song really catches the mood from the studio take. Mick can't hit those low notes and Charlie is kind of rushing the beat. It was the same with Anybody Seen My Baby, some songs just don't work well live.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-04 18:27 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 4, 2018 18:29

TheBlockbuster
Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

None of the live versions of this song really catches the mood from the studio take. Mick can't hit those low notes and Charlie is kind of rushing the beat. It was the same with Anybody Seen My Baby, some songs just don't work well live.
Definitely...both of those songs suffer the same fate live.

Date: October 4, 2018 18:59

SKILLS
falo01
Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

I always thought this was semi official, Given the quality

Yes , this one on two laser discs:
950927A 27th September: THE ROLLING STONES.
Video ‘Voodoo Lounge In Japan 1’ (Trycle Inn/Dolphin TCVP-1001). Incl.
first half of the concert at Tokyo Dome 12.3.95.
(Not Fade Away/Tumbling Dice/You Got Me Rocking/Live With Me/Rocks
Off/Sparks Will Fly/Satisfaction/Angie/Sweet Virginia/Rock And A Hard Place/
Love Is Strong)

950927B 27th September: THE ROLLING STONES.
Video ‘Voodoo Lounge In Japan 2’ (Trycle Inn/Dolphin TCVP-1002). Incl.
second half of the concert at Tokyo Dome 12.3.95.
(I Go Wild/Miss You/Band introduction/Honky Tonk Women/Before They
Make Me Run/Slipping Away/Sympathy For The Devil/Monkey Man/
Street Fighting Man/Start Me Up/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Brown Sugar/
Jumping Jack Flash)

Info from [www.nzentgraf.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-04 19:02 by Deltics.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 4, 2018 20:09

flairville
They cancelled mine too! I dont think the set is a hoax as HMV have it listed as do the official site. Odd really as I always use Amazon.

Cheerz, flairville.
Yeah; I agree. Don't really think it's a hoax, either...

Anyway: I re-ordered via JPC.de (which is good service as well and which is actually, a bit cheaper then amazon;co.uk too... smoking smiley So, no complaints here!)

We'll see what gives.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: October 4, 2018 20:40

How comes Amazon still don't have a pre order up for the blu ray?

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: October 5, 2018 20:53

[www.fnac.com]
Free shipping for France: comme d'hab!

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: October 5, 2018 20:56

Where can I order the coulored vinyl in Europe?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 5, 2018 22:11

spunky

Where can I order the coulored vinyl in Europe?

At least here: [Store.DigitalStores.co.uk] and here: [www.Bravado.de] .

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 5, 2018 22:23

keefriff99
TheBlockbuster
Deltics

[www.youtube.com]

Definitely...both of those songs suffer the same fate live.
The very same as mixed emotions

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: October 7, 2018 23:13

Mine is also cancelled from Amazon.uk

Per Arne

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 12, 2018 10:56

As of this morning Amazon UK lists the CD, and the Blu-Ray, and... that's it, apart from the option to buy individual tracks. No DVD and no sets at all.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1737
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home