Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: The smallest venues where you saw The Stones perform?
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 15, 2018 23:00

Rockman
…..anyone get inta The Double Door gig ….. ?????????????

Alas, I could have been there.....had I received my answer machine message sooner. A friend who owns a music store was friends with one of the owners of the Double Door and had called to tell me about the show and would have got me in. As fate would have it, I didn't get the message in time, as this was (of course) the days before cellphones and by the time I got home to check messages, the show was in progress. Twas not to be.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 15, 2018 23:56

deardoctor
potus43
DREAMTIME
someone else post first...
rehearsals. Wiltern. Thanks to JC. Was only one there other than security and techies etc. unreal

Clear winner...

Actually Scott Jones from San Diego (so-called richest Stones fan) was there too. He gave me a ride back to the Four Seasons

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: August 16, 2018 00:47

floodonthepage
They are really a different band in a small room.

Yes. Saw them at the El Mocambo in 1977.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 00:57

double door right at the back door and olympia, paris

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 16, 2018 01:05

floodonthepage

VERY true. That's why Scorsese's overblown treatment in Shine a Light is a shambles. The band started out to have a small show filmed (great!), but then by bringing in what was in effect an arena show (and lots of brought in airhead bright young things as carboard fans) it became less worthwhile.

Small club, small video crew, great sales.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 16, 2018 01:50

Planet Live, Bondy, France-November 8th 2012 ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 16, 2018 08:23

Beacon second show November 1st 2006. I was absolutely determined to see them in a small venue and I did, at the cost of a small fortune, way more than I have ever paid for any other show. And it disgusts me when I hear of people who got in for $50!

But what really bums me out is when I hear people trash the show for one reason or another like the person above, or say how hollow it was. Feels like I wasted my money. It was the second best show of that tour for me, behind the second O2 show, of the 27 ABB shows I saw.

How was it an "arena" show?

plexi

Date: August 16, 2018 08:26

CaptainCorella
strat72
All in London......

Brixton Academy in 95.
Shepherd's Bush Empire in 99.
The Astoria in 03.

I've been lucky......

I have several photo's of the queue at Shepherds' Bush .... from the number of people her who have posted that they were there (as was I), seems like I've got myself a real rogues gallery of iorr! (What's the best way to post them here?)

Not Stones, but I did see The Who in the terminally unlikely venue of The Assembly Rooms Worthing (if you know the UK you'll understand that adjective) which was (I guess) a warm-up gig to a 1973 or 73 tour. Couple of hundred people.

yes, would love to see those fotos, please do post.

plexi

Date: August 16, 2018 12:53

Hi Manofwealthandtaste,

Your post got me doing some research to see what I could find out and there is a DVD available from Amazon of which includes some tracks of the Marquee gig along with an interview with Alexis Korner. It's called Alexis Korner & Friends Live in London.

I had forgotten that Ian Stewart was playing that night although I remembered Ruby Turner was singing. For some reason I seem to recall Geno Washington made a guest appearance on a couple of numbers but maybe my memory is playing tricks with me.

Here is a link to the DVD - [www.amazon.co.uk]
You can also find a few clips on youtube - one of Bill singing!

Thanks Dartford! I think this was the setlist......
[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: August 16, 2018 15:59

I was at that show....it was incredible, including the ambiance. So many memories, starting with Jake Cohl calling me on my cell phone...and I would like to believe what he said to me...many will say are you crazy, The Stones could not have read your submission to a contest. It was a contest to write a short composition of why you deserve to see The Stones at The Beacon.

The train up to NYC...the mulling around central park, and meeting fans from all over. The lights outside the theater. Having Billy Gibbons return my wave as he walked by, talking to Little Steven in the aisle, having a beer next to Alec Baldwin and saying hello...the big movie camera with Albert Maysles not Martin Scorsese...grinning from ear to ear at the entrance just inside of the venue standing next to the group running the camera. All the people on the same page just so incredibly happy to be there...with emotions building of what was to come...celebrities being so open and friendly...the stage...the lighting...and so much more.

Ive seen the Stones from the 5th row or closer at many venues, arena's, and stadiums....and this was definitely a different feel, and sound....but you had to be there. They haven't yet been able to duplicate the feeling, the warm up, the vibration of sound on your body when they play, the looks they give each other...the music surrounds you...the closeness to the band you search for when watching them is like chasing the dragon.....always just out of reach....you always get so close....but it's elusive....

If critic who wasn't there wants to add commentary to the product, they may be doing so with something less then we have...something almost intangible...but we know what it is..we heard what The Stones intended...we were there.

Could you imagine being married to a critic?
You couldn't ever cook a steak right, every time you paint a wall it wouldn't be good enough...etc....if you know what I mean...there is always gonna be a critic...

timbernardis
Beacon second show November 1st 2006. I was absolutely determined to see them in a small venue and I did, at the cost of a small fortune, way more than I have ever paid for any other show. And it disgusts me when I hear of people who got in for $50!

But what really bums me out is when I hear people trash the show for one reason or another like the person above, or say how hollow it was. Feels like I wasted my money. It was the second best show of that tour for me, behind the second O2 show, of the 27 ABB shows I saw.

plexi

Posted by: sittinonafence ()
Date: August 16, 2018 17:26

Warner Theatre DC 1978
Toads Place 1989
Paradiso (both shows) 1995
Capitol Theatre Port Chester NY 1997
Tower Theatre 2002

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 16, 2018 19:26

onestep
I was at that show....it was incredible, including the ambiance. So many memories, starting with Jake Cohl calling me on my cell phone...and I would like to believe what he said to me...many will say are you crazy, The Stones could not have read your submission to a contest. It was a contest to write a short composition of why you deserve to see The Stones at The Beacon.

The train up to NYC...the mulling around central park, and meeting fans from all over. The lights outside the theater. Having Billy Gibbons return my wave as he walked by, talking to Little Steven in the aisle, having a beer next to Alec Baldwin and saying hello...the big movie camera with Albert Maysles not Martin Scorsese...grinning from ear to ear at the entrance just inside of the venue standing next to the group running the camera. All the people on the same page just so incredibly happy to be there...with emotions building of what was to come...celebrities being so open and friendly...the stage...the lighting...and so much more.

Ive seen the Stones from the 5th row or closer at many venues, arena's, and stadiums....and this was definitely a different feel, and sound....but you had to be there. They haven't yet been able to duplicate the feeling, the warm up, the vibration of sound on your body when they play, the looks they give each other...the music surrounds you...the closeness to the band you search for when watching them is like chasing the dragon.....always just out of reach....you always get so close....but it's elusive....

If critic who wasn't there wants to add commentary to the product, they may be doing so with something less then we have...something almost intangible...but we know what it is..we heard what The Stones intended...we were there.

You couldn't ever cook a steak right, every time you paint a wall it wouldn't be good enough...etc....if you know what I mean...there is always gonna be a critic...

timbernardis

plexi

Nice memories onestep as I'm sure it must have been intensely fun to be at that show considering all the hoopla surrounding it with celebrities, cameras, etc.

That said, I think any criticism of that show from people who were there and people who were not is not aimed at the show itself, but the resulting movie. While some of the performances were clearly not the best which can be seen and heard in the film, it was the overall atmosphere conveyed in the movie that makes it seem less than it probably was. It all seemed a bit artificial and overproduced, and with some of the guest collaborations, wasn't really the best document of what a Stones show is about. Add in the models in the first few rows, the phoniness of Scorcese not knowing the setlist, the inclusion of the Clintons, and the overall overproduced sterility. As you said, you had to be there, but based on the resulting film, it all came across more like a circus than an actual small club/theater show.

Date: August 16, 2018 21:07

well all i can say is that it was a good show, movie issues aside. but do have to admit that i will enjoy telling my granchildren that i can be seen in a martin scorsese rolling stones film.

plexi

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: August 16, 2018 22:44

Trabendo 2012, I was first row, less than 2 meters from Ronnie. Just unbelievable !!!

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: August 16, 2018 23:17

I agree, I went on a small tangent there, and I may well have missed the point.
Thanks for pointing that out, the production certainly controlled the front orchestra sections with models, and they had a choice of fans to send in photographs from which they chose...along with the other things you mention...that made the movie much more of a production.

Hairball
onestep

timbernardis

plexi

Nice memories onestep as I'm sure it must have been intensely fun to be at that show considering all the hoopla surrounding it with celebrities, cameras, etc.

That said, I think any criticism of that show from people who were there and people who were not is not aimed at the show itself, but the resulting movie. While some of the performances were clearly not the best which can be seen and heard in the film, it was the overall atmosphere conveyed in the movie that makes it seem less than it probably was. It all seemed a bit artificial and overproduced, and with some of the guest collaborations, wasn't really the best document of what a Stones show is about. Add in the models in the first few rows, the phoniness of Scorcese not knowing the setlist, the inclusion of the Clintons, and the overall overproduced sterility. As you said, you had to be there, but based on the resulting film, it all came across more like a circus than an actual small club/theater show.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: August 17, 2018 02:20

Hollywood Palladium.

Date: August 17, 2018 02:23

Also saw Keith play that place where Waddy and Bernard use to do a Monday night thing. it was on Pico in Boss Angeles.

Date: August 17, 2018 02:26

Saw Charlie twice in Paris at New Morning and Duc de Lombards.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: August 17, 2018 03:49

Marmalade
floodonthepage

Yes. Saw them at the El Mocambo in 1977.

WHOA!!! Nice.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: August 17, 2018 22:01

Vredenburg 2003

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: August 18, 2018 02:28

Manofwealthandtaste
Hi Manofwealthandtaste,

Your post got me doing some research to see what I could find out and there is a DVD available from Amazon of which includes some tracks of the Marquee gig along with an interview with Alexis Korner. It's called Alexis Korner & Friends Live in London.

I had forgotten that Ian Stewart was playing that night although I remembered Ruby Turner was singing. For some reason I seem to recall Geno Washington made a guest appearance on a couple of numbers but maybe my memory is playing tricks with me.

Here is a link to the DVD - [www.amazon.co.uk]
You can also find a few clips on youtube - one of Bill singing!

Thanks Dartford! I think this was the setlist......
[www.setlist.fm]

Thanks Manofwealthandtaste. So Geno Washington did make an appearance then. Interesting setlist and good to relive that night at the Marquee.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 18, 2018 03:34

timbernardis
CaptainCorella
strat72
All in London......

Brixton Academy in 95.
The Astoria in 03.

I've been lucky......

I have several photo's of the queue at Shepherds' Bush .... from the number of people her who have posted that they were there (as was I), seems like I've got myself a real rogues gallery of iorr! (What's the best way to post them here?)

Not Stones, but I did see The Who in the terminally unlikely venue of The Assembly Rooms Worthing (if you know the UK you'll understand that adjective) which was (I guess) a warm-up gig to a 1973 or 73 tour. Couple of hundred people.

plexi

If someone could point me to a way of posting images I'll give it a try...

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: August 18, 2018 07:26

CaptainCorella
timbernardis
CaptainCorella
strat72
All in London......

Brixton Academy in 95.
The Astoria in 03.

I've been lucky......

plexi

If someone could point me to a way of posting images I'll give it a try...

do u save any of yer fotos to some online repository such as photobucket or Flickr or there r others. Many are free. I used to use photobucket. Then once it's there, each foto has its own URL which you can then use to post. Just type in . bv has these instructions in the help pages.

Someone else may have better ways or other options, so please share so we can see these fotos he has. I suppose it's possible to do it with google photos or whatever it is called.

plexi

Posted by: TE ()
Date: August 18, 2018 13:34

Cirkus Krone.

And the rehearsel for Ronnie's concert in London 2010, Ambassadors Theatre.
Audience, 2 persons, LOL. Me, and you know who... A dream. Played almost the entire show. So got the show 3 times in one night!

TE
Oslo

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: August 19, 2018 00:45

Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor

The Troubadour, Earls Court, October 2013

"Friends and family" rehearsal for Royal Albert Hall

Capacity 110 (one of whom was Manofwealthandtaste)

Full story here [onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 19, 2018 01:26

Capital Theater, Passaic
Winos, Beacon
Keith with Dave Edmonds, Bottom Line

Edit to add: Up front at Julliard. Just the 4 of them plus bass. Loved it. The Q & A was funny too. Keith to reporter who questioned their true reason for touring: "YOU can take the money, man!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-19 01:36 by bleedingman.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 19, 2018 06:25

Ft Worth 1978 Will Rogers Auditorium..

Posted by: JohnnySnapps ()
Date: August 19, 2018 08:24

Roseland Ballroom. What an amazing show. Incredible version of CYHMK! I will never forget when Mick announced She Smiled Sweetly, I couldn't believe my ears! Still the best concert experience of my life. And I don't expect that it will ever be topped.

Date: August 19, 2018 20:43

Did not see them but heard them rehearse 6 songs before the first night of Desert Trip. I was in the tent where everyone was hanging, the Stones kids and friends. Heard a harmonica and suddenly the it turned into Come Together. Then i realized the Stones were in the next tent getting warmed UP. They played Ride 'Em Down and a few others.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 19, 2018 22:02

Delta
Did not see them but heard them rehearse 6 songs before the first night of Desert Trip. I was in the tent where everyone was hanging, the Stones kids and friends. Heard a harmonica and suddenly the it turned into Come Together. Then i realized the Stones were in the next tent getting warmed UP. They played Ride 'Em Down and a few others.

Listening in on rehearsals is always fun.Best for me was Hamburg last year when there were little pockets of fans all around the perimeter of the Stadtpark, listening in. This was repeated on show day, when Hamburg Police estimate that 15,000 fans listened outside for free. winking smiley

I wasn't one of them btw. I was in the Silver Pit with half the IORR band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-19 22:04 by grzegorz67.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home