Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Is Willie Nelson a great one?
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 13, 2018 20:32

he's up there with the greats yes

if you can write songs like 'Crazy' youre mostly there.

Willie has maintained his career his way, had many hits, has a real distinctive style in music, particularly his guitar playing, which I love.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 13, 2018 20:37

You know Willie must be great when even IORRians can't disagree about it. grinning smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 14, 2018 01:34

You bet he is.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2019 20:36

Happy Birthday to Willie just turned 86 a couple days ago, and released a great tune w/video.

Via Rock Cellar ( Willie):

Watch Willie Nelson’s Video for ‘Ride Me Back Home,’ Released in Time for His 86th Birthday
By Rock Cellar Magazine Staff on May 1, 2019

Earlier this week, the great Willie Nelson celebrated his 86th birthday and took the opportunity to premiere a new music video for the title track off his forthcoming studio album, Ride Me Back Home, which has a street date of June 21 and can be pre-ordered here.

In keeping tradition with how Willie’s released new music over the past few years and albums, the video is a straightforward treatment of the song that showcases Nelson in the studio, singing along to the song as it plays. It’s quite elegant:

Video: Willie Nelson - Ride Me Back Home

Some insight on the title track, via the official news release:

The title track “Ride Me Back Home” is Willie’s sublime rendering of a song co-written by Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame member Sonny Throckmorton expressing a love for horses and their spirituality. “Sonny lives right by Willie’s Luck studio,” longtime friend/producer/musical compadre Buddy Cannon pointed out. “He said he wrote that song because he was over there and saw Willie’s horses. I don’t even know if Willie knows that or not.” The horses to which Cannon refers are a group of more than 60 that Willie has adopted over the years, rescuing them from the slaughterhouse and giving them a home on his “Luck” ranch.

Ride Me Back Home will feature new original songs and some fun covers, a few of which might raise eyebrows upon discovery:

Alongside his new compositions on the album and the title track (which Throckmorton co-wrote with his daughter Debby, Joe Manual & Lucinda Hinton), Willie pays musical tribute to a variety of pop and country songwriters and performers, covering Billy Joel (“Just the Way You Are”), Mac Davis (“It’s Hard to Be Humble” with Lukas Nelson and Micah Nelson) and a pair of songs by the late American country/folk artist Guy Clark (“Immigrant Eyes” and “My Favorite Picture of You,” the title song from Clark’s 2014 Grammy-winning Best Folk Album).

Filling out Ride Me Back Home are Willie’s soulful interpretation of Buzz Rabin’s classic country composition “Maybe I Should Have Been Listening,” his take on Skip Denenberg & Dan “Bee” Spears’ “Nobody’s Listening” (before his death in 2011, bassist Spears had played with Willie for more than forty years)and the artist’s 2019 return to “Stay Away From Lonely Places,” an outlaw country deep cut Willie first wrote and recorded for his 1972 album The Words Don’t Fit The Picture. “I’m the biggest Willie Nelson fan there is, and I thought I knew every song that he ever did. But I had never heard that song. It sounded totally new to me,” said Buddy Cannon, who lobbied to get Willie to revisit the track. “He’s a born troubadour. It’s the greatness: That early genius that was him and his songs is still there.”

This will be Nelson’s first album since the release of My Way, his record of Frank Sinatra covers, which came out in Fall 2018.

Ride Me Back Home‘s track listing:

01. “Ride Me Back Home”
02. “Come On Time”
03. “My Favorite Picture of You”
04. “Seven Year Itch”
05. “Immigrant Eyes”
06. “Stay Away From Lonely Places”
07. “Just The Way You Are”
08. “One More Song To Write”
09. “Nobody’s Listening”
10. “It’s Hard To Be Humble” (with Lukas Nelson and Micah Nelson)
11. “Maybe I Should’ve Been Listening”

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 1, 2019 20:39

Willie also has a great cover article in Rolling Stone:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 1, 2019 21:43

Seems Willie Nelson and Keith share the same dentist....smiling smiley

...Of course he´s a great one - for those who like him, me I don´t.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 1, 2019 22:18

Definitely one of the greats

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 1, 2019 22:25

Of course

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 1, 2019 22:26

He's playing Forest Hills stadium on 9/11 this year. Nice lineup:
Willie Nelson & Family and Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Alison Krauss, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: May 2, 2019 00:23

yes one of ,he greats, he can take any song and make it his own, my personal favs of his is his version of blue skies nails it

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: May 2, 2019 10:36

Definitely, he's one of the greatest ever

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 2, 2019 12:09

Willie is clearly a great one! For me he is one of the original outlaws, along with larger-than-life geezers like George Jones, Johnny Paycheck, Cash, Waylon and of course Hank Williams. Red Headed Stranger is a masterpiece and such a joy to listen to. I grew up with his voice along with Cash's and Richard Pennimans, those were the Three first voices I got in my system as a kid. I may not share his love for the Maria Juana as I prefer the Maradona/Gallagher/Paycheck way of recreation (red wine and football that is ;-)

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 2, 2019 18:02

Love everything about Willie except his music.

Drew

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2019 18:52

drewmaster
Love everything about Willie except his music.

Drew

Lol that's funny, but at least he's putting out new music - him and Neil Young and countless others....even The Who have a new album in the works!
Unlike the Stones who regurgitate nothing but a HONK for their fans...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2019 00:29

Willie is not just one of the greats. He’s one of the absolute top country guys out there. He’s always a good experience. I was so delighted last year when I was completing Red Dead Redemption 2’s epilogue missions (it’s a PlayStation game set in the Wild West for all you old timers out there). I was riding down to a city called Strawberry from the Pronghorn Ranch, and slowly the soundtrack came on. It was Willie playing Cruel Cruel World. It was such an awesome moment, knowing how the story panned out, it was so fitting.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 3, 2019 00:51

He wrote Crazy … Patsy Cline
recorded the song and it went on to
become the most played juke-box record of all time ………

ROCKMAN

Date: May 3, 2019 02:46

Did someone already mention it? But he is a great lead guitarist.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home