Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Woodstock 50th Anniversary Concert?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 10, 2018 18:02

I am sure there are a number of people who'd attend this, if it happens, but, really? I doubt many of the aged boomers who might attend would - or could - run around stoned, naked, sharing vibes of peace and love, but I could be wrong. And I must admit, seeing Sha Na Na back on stage would be something to behold and hear (said with tongue firmly implanted in cheek). Which brings up the question: What about a 50th anniversary Altamont reunion, minus the Angels and violence, of course?

[whatupintown.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-17 18:58 by bv.

Re: OT: Oh my - a 50th anniversary replay of Woodstock
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 10, 2018 19:28

If they do it Desert Trip style, it could be great and I would attend depending on which bands are on the lineup. Whatever the case, they should think hard about the pricing as sales for the original overpriced tickets for Desert Trip stalled out pretty quickly. When discounted tickets start being sold on Costco (or groupon, etc.) that's a sign that they expected too much. And even when those didn't sell, and people were able to buy three day Pit passes for a fraction of the original price as I did (paid apprx. $325 vs. original $1500+ official price), then you know they are struggling to unload the tix.

Unfortunately Jimi Hendirx is no longer alive (along with many others), and many of those bands from the original no longer exist. The only other bands I'd want to see from the original are The Who, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young (which would be a small miracle if they ever reunite). Can't imagine who else they could add to make it worthy - maybe Dylan, Stones, Macca, Neil, The Who, and Roger Waters ala Desert Trip - but doubt that will ever happen again. Maybe some of the bands that participated in the the Woodstock '94 festival (Woodstock 2)- but out of all of those there's a very small handful I'd pay to see. All that said, the brand name alone would help sell many tickets, and if it's all done right it could be one for the ages....maybe.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 11, 2018 01:34

It has great potential doesn't it?

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2018 01:41

….. whats the use …. cant ever top Mr Jimi's bomb-droppin' Star Spangled Banner ………....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 11, 2018 01:52

Most of the original Santana Band is still around, Dead & Company has 3 guys who were there, and Hot Tuna is still playing, so Jorma & Jack could represent for them and the Jefferson Airplane. Arlo Guthrie is still performing too.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2018 01:57

…...would they use the original Woodstock toilets ??????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: batcave ()
Date: August 11, 2018 02:47

After attending the fiasco that was Woodstock '99, I think it's best to let the name rest in peace...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 11, 2018 03:02

I think it could be OK if they invited younger, newer bands eg, Strokes, Black Keys, etc

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 11, 2018 03:19

The idea stinks. They'd just be cashing in on the name. Can you imagine the branding that would go on? Samsung Galaxy 9, the official IPhone of Woodstock 2019! There's very, very little talent under 30 that could get on that stage and even approach the magic of the performers back then. I don't want to see some weird senior citizen Jefferson Airplane revival. Hell, I don't even want to see the Stones anymore. This is all for venting sake. There's too much money to be made. It will be done. I'll pass.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 11, 2018 04:10

I very much doubt Michael Lang has any intention of staging a reunion of the surviving musicians from 1969. That's not how he went about booking the talent for Woodstock '94 and it's certainly not what Woodstock '99 was about. In fact, only TWO people who played at the original Woodstock also played Woodstock '99.

Mickey Hart and John Entwistle.

If the three Woodstock festivals had anything in common, it was that they showcased new acts. Most of the artists at the original festival had been recording for only a couple of years. Santana hadn't even released their first album yet. If there is a Woodstock '19, it'll feature whoever happens to be hot at that moment, including, probably, some people that aren't even on the general public's radar yet.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-11 04:16 by tatters.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 11, 2018 04:22

What I most enjoyed about my days at the festival was a 'B' stage setup they had elsewhere on the property. One of the LP slicks they used for the Soundtrack; the one with the little kid and drumkig in it; was actually photographed at THAT stage. The bands were just super excellent and hot but not real famous if famous at all; i think they were a really hip mixture of bands that had it REALLY VERY together; probably performing tri-state area shows, but not the star power of the big deal stage that Who, Carlos, Airplane, Janis and many others played; i missed most all of them at that series of shows that weekend but had a super great time; i was super comfortable in the large jammed main crowd; it was a gas and i['m so glad i experienced it; but i'm not much for the sardine thing for too very long; i liked the open woods and even little ponds you passed on the short hike where it opened up into a very sweet meadow; with a pro stae and sound system; and i was actually more comfortable, even at the age of newly turned 18, with stepping away from the large crush crowds for extended periods no matter what act was performing; unless it was like STones or Dylan or Van or Kinks or somet5hing like that; i would have, and HAVE GONE, through any and everything to get to those shows tho i never did see The Kinks except footage.

now that my memories are refreshed somewhat; i'm sure that 'b' stage area,
(they didn't refer to it as "B" stage per se) was pretty much administrated
by Wavy Gravy's (Hugh from Frisco who 'led' the famous/infamous 'hippie'
school bus that was painted psychedlic style; and the travelling home
for the San Francisco based hippie culture that was also represented
by young Carlos and that AMAZING AMAZING performance; it's a blessing
it was filmed. that drummer was super young at the time and i could
hardly believe his intensity. Also, obviously...Carlos had his skills
and vision really together. I hadn't been aware till just now
reading this thread that they were pretty much totally unknown
at the time cause the that first killer LP hadn't been released yet...
this was a really well-rounded and well-thought-out affair as far
as the booking; also, it was very well and sensitively oranized;
i don't think the promoters or Michael or anybody doing administration
are to blame for the massive influx of near a half million people...
i mean that was a SURPRISE. i remember being surprised upon
setting my first foot down when I got off the bus.
I didn't have a ticket; but did bring money to buy one; tho the
fences were down when I got there and I got there early Day 1...
...i was lucky as i was visiting family upstate NY and it was a short
hop on a rural bus route that got me really close to the actual farm,
so I didn't have all that nightmare traffic or being stuck...
then again, the stuck people seemed to be very into being stuck man.
lol
true tho
.far out.

so....it surprised the people who went there to hear music as well as the promoters and everyone else; the movie and album and all that stuff,
well i have VERY mixed emotions about what happened to the business
once the 'LIFE Magazine" sort of general public popular magazines
starting really zoning in the 'rock culture and music' and in many ways
that exploitation was wonderful and put so much good energy into
the business and even the united spirit of a LOT of people in this country
because the line-up was so diverse stylistically; and from vastly
different traditions....
i guess maybve that last scene with Jimi playing the national anthem
at that odd hour; and the edited-in shots of all the garbage from
the very many who had started back home on Day 3....that was
commensurate with that performance....was in some ways almost
ominous; and well....it was beautiful but painful.
i guess in some ways my lifestyle was to exemplify some of that
'back to earth' spirit of those social and cultural movements,
(always anchored by music and songs...a political threat until
it was absorbed and co-opted; appropriated, or however one puts that....
i had just graduated high school then turned 18 just shortly before
the festival...in ensuing years, little by little at first, as
a result of some short-term jobs deep in the mountains and forests
waaay north of Bethel, Woodsstock and all those towns; up to the
States bordering Canada...i didn't have a color tv till i was in
my thirties; and hadn't watched at all for most of my twenties..
i love it but we were in the waaaay mountains and one channel came
in fuzzy; the kids grew up doing things other than staring at
screens of Any kind for the most part; took em to Star Wars when
it came out; hey we're not primitives we just get this way
when there are more bears and moose in your town than people.
a LOT more and they know it hahhaaa...

yeh guess what EVERYBODY ; about ten million of them i counted,
were asking and wondering among the heavy rumors that day...
i guess maybe cause it was NY too; but almost everyone
was hoping Bob would be there. lol maybe he was in the next
tent but laying low...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-11 13:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 11, 2018 05:29

There may be other festivals that I'm unaware of, but the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival in San Francisco is the closest to how festivals were back in the day that I've found.
Not all (or even the majority) bluegrass music,
I've seen some great bands there over the years, with big names (Elvis Costello, Robert Plant, Rosanne Cash, Lucinda Williams, X etc) in a wide variety of genres. Have discovered great new bands to follow as well. Eight stages in Golden Gate Park, Three days.. and free. Great if you can deal with crowds cool smiley

As for another Woodstock, no thanks.
Gathering all the legends that they could for Desert Trip was as close as anyone could or should come in a throwback/legends festival, as for new acts, there's already plenty of festivals to choose from.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 11, 2018 06:10

Javadave
Most of the original Santana Band is still around, Dead & Company has 3 guys who were there, and Hot Tuna is still playing, so Jorma & Jack could represent for them and the Jefferson Airplane. Arlo Guthrie is still performing too.

Melanie just performed in Buffalo last Sunday at a local establishment. Tickets were $40 and $75 bought you a meet and greet.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 11, 2018 15:50

No. No. No. Woodstock 99 killed Woodstock dead. Leave it that way.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 11, 2018 17:21

batcave
After attending the fiasco that was Woodstock '99, I think it's best to let the name rest in peace...

Agreed. If somebody wants to have a new festival - free or otherwise- so be it. But anything using the name "Woodstock" is just a money-grab cashing in on the name and misguided nostalgia wannabeism.

Time to come up w/ something new.

To whoever posted about CSN&Y: No chance Neil Young would be involved. He was openly critical of what he called "Greedstock"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 11, 2018 19:58

stickyfingers101
batcave

Agreed. If somebody wants to have a new festival - free or otherwise- so be it. But anything using the name "Woodstock" is just a money-grab cashing in on the name and misguided nostalgia wannabeism.

To whoever posted about CSN&Y: No chance Neil Young would be involved. He was openly critical of what he called "Greedstock"

What was Desert Trip then?
Did the musicians donate their mega huge pay cheques to charity?
Not aware that any did.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2018 20:09

stickyfingers101

I mentioned CSN&Y, but I did end the sentence with "which would be a small miracle if they ever reunite".
Woodstock '19 or not, very slim chance they will ever reunite for any reason, but never say never...

*Hopkins also might have mentioned CSNY in his lengthy post, but haven't had time to thoroughly decipher it all yet winking smiley, and now that it's been heavily edited I have to start from scratch.

Cheers Hopkins! smoking smiley

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 11, 2018 20:19

But anything using the name "Woodstock" is just a money-grab cashing in on the name and misguided nostalgia wannabeism.

So pretty much like 60%-80% of all "produced" "entertainment" these days

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 12, 2018 00:46

terraplane
I think it could be OK if they invited younger, newer bands eg, Strokes, Black Keys, etc

Neither of which are currently active.

Date: August 12, 2018 02:36

jlowe
stickyfingers101
batcave

What was Desert Trip then?
Did the musicians donate their mega huge pay cheques to charity?
Not aware that any did.

Well, Desert Trip was a festival that didn't call itself "Woodstock."

As for the money being given to charity, I doubt it...but, the point I was making was about using the name "Woodstock" to make money (which I find cheesy and transparent) - I assumed Neil Young called it "Greedstock" for the same reason but I'm not him or his friend, so take my opinion for what it is - uninformed.

If NY "Anti-Festival for Profit" then he's a hypocrite for playing DT....if he's "Anti-Using the Name Woodstock for Profit" then I get his point.

I simply think it is best to let some things stay in the past as what they were - trying to recreate them often ruins them (which is what WS '99 proved, IMO).

Date: August 12, 2018 02:37

Hairball
stickyfingers101

I mentioned CSN&Y, but I did end the sentence with "which would be a small miracle if they ever reunite".
Woodstock '19 or not, very slim chance they will ever reunite for any reason, but never say never...

*Hopkins also might have mentioned CSNY in his lengthy post, but haven't had time to thoroughly decipher it all yet winking smiley, and now that it's been heavily edited I have to start from scratch.

Cheers Hopkins! smoking smiley

Agree on all fronts.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 12, 2018 02:37

OMG no.

Date: August 12, 2018 02:56

Leonioid
But anything using the name "Woodstock" is just a money-grab cashing in on the name and misguided nostalgia wannabeism.

Not sure I get your point.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: August 12, 2018 04:12

stickyfingers101
Leonioid

Not sure I get your point.

Its OK, it's not that important.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-12 06:50 by Leonioid.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 12, 2018 06:47

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-12 07:03 by hopkins.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 15, 2018 23:47

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-18 00:53 by schillid.

Stones to headline Woodstock 50th anniversary next year ??
Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: August 17, 2018 02:37

With the Stones coming back to the US next summer
and Michael Lang putting together a 50th anniversary
Woodstock festival next summer as well,any chances The Stones headline ??

Re: Stones to headline Woodstock 50th anniversary next year ??
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 17, 2018 02:50

trolling speculation on your part. Does it bring you pleasure?

plexi

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 17, 2018 04:53

jaggerman is no troll. Nothing wrong with speculation. It's a question worth posing at this juncture with the band considering a North American tour.

I say this with all respect, plexi, only because I think you misjudged his intent.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 17, 2018 05:15

We need a 50th anniversary of Altamont.with the size of the average American being about 100 pounds more than in 1969 we would have no problem finding naked fat people.hand out some ecstasy and we’re off to the races.
I would volunteer to help”ok,chunky run down the hill and knock over those motorcycles.”

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1516
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home