Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
VIDEO: Live in Toronto 2002 - The secret club gig
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 8, 2018 17:15

A few songs missing but it's a great proshot. I've never seen this video before.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-08 17:40 by bv.

Re: VIDEO: Live in Toronto 2002 - The secret club gig
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 8, 2018 17:23

Pretty good for a warm up show, more rehearsed than the Double Door gig in '97. This pro-shot also has mono audio so they probably sounded even better being there.

Here's the same pro-shot with audio and pictures during the missing songs: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-08 17:24 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: August 8, 2018 17:41

Stonesdoug is in there, hehe smiling smiley

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 8, 2018 17:44

Man I dig that version of Happy.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 8, 2018 19:26

Stupid question, probably - but: what was the name of the club?

Date: August 8, 2018 19:28

RoughJusticeOnYa
Stupid question, probably - but: what was the name of the club?

Palais Royale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-08 19:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: August 8, 2018 19:54

very nice, thanks for posting.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 8, 2018 22:03

franzk
A few songs missing but it's a great proshot. I've never seen this video before.

[www.youtube.com]

Okay I don’t mean to be a sour puss however
2 minutes suffering all the lucky white folk getting into a dream gig for $10
then it cuts to right after the show and all the happy chicks leaving.
Either re edit
where is the tunes
First 2 minutes put me off

Date: August 8, 2018 22:33

35love
franzk

[www.youtube.com]

Either re edit
where is the tunes

They blast out Sad Sad Sad right after those first two minutes smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2018 05:32

They sound like they're starting to slow down after the peak of No Security. (Well, the Keith and Charlie peak). If You Can't Rock Me lacks the snap from 1975.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 10, 2018 06:33

You wouldn't think so by the time they played the Olympia in Paris or Twickenham in London the following year. Compare "If You Can't Rock Me" or "Don't Stop" here to Madison Square Garden in 2003 and you'll see they're just rusty. Best of all compare "Stray Cat Blues" here to the Olympia version which is just about as good as they could get after the sixties. Even this warm-up show turns up the heat by the time they tear through "I Can't Turn You Loose" and "Heart of Stone." What a pity that last gem didn't stay in the set list for the theater shows. Both soul tunes are works of art.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 10, 2018 09:03

Not sure how many theatre shows but Heart of Stone did get played at least early on, and it was pretty awesome...thumbs up

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 10, 2018 10:59

Like Lady Jane another super rarely played song and performed beautifully. Also Play With Fire. Wish they would bring these out more often.

Date: August 10, 2018 16:03

Rocky Dijon
You wouldn't think so by the time they played the Olympia in Paris or Twickenham in London the following year. Compare "If You Can't Rock Me" or "Don't Stop" here to Madison Square Garden in 2003 and you'll see they're just rusty. Best of all compare "Stray Cat Blues" here to the Olympia version which is just about as good as they could get after the sixties. Even this warm-up show turns up the heat by the time they tear through "I Can't Turn You Loose" and "Heart of Stone." What a pity that last gem didn't stay in the set list for the theater shows. Both soul tunes are works of art.

The Madison Square Garden 2003 "If You Can't Rock Me" was one of the worst on the tour. It was the bonus track on the Japanese "Live Licks". Probably one of the worst bonus tracks of all time. Whole verses edited out and others repeated in a failed attempt to disguise the mess.

The Los Angeles Staples Center "If You Can't Rock Me" was among the best.

And "Heart of Stone" was performed at the theater shows once the tour began. As stated above. At least 3 of them plus 1 arena show in Oakland.

Date: August 10, 2018 16:13

Winning Ugly VXII
Rocky Dijon

The Madison Square Garden 2003 "If You Can't Rock Me" was one of the worst on the tour. It was the bonus track on the Japanese "Live Licks". Probably one of the worst bonus tracks of all time. Whole verses edited out and others repeated in a failed attempt to disguise the mess.

The Los Angeles Staples Center "If You Can't Rock Me" was among the best.

And "Heart of Stone" was performed at the theater shows once the tour began. As stated above. At least 3 of them plus 1 arena show in Oakland.

I think Mick sang one verse twice on the MSG-gig. At least he does on Four Flicks.

Most of the Four Flicks-tracks sounded shite on CD, for some reason. I thought the DVD-set was very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-10 16:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 10, 2018 16:54

"If You Can't Rock Me" is looped and edited on the Japanese Live Licks bonus track.

It's not a sound quality problem.

It's an editing and performance problem.

Caused by the fact that they relied on certain concerts where there were performance problems on some songs. ("Rocks Off" from Twickenham is the other prime example.)

So they made edits and did a poor job with those edits.

Instead of using different , better performances from other concerts.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: August 10, 2018 17:05

this is a from the vault "must have", could be a good boxset ...

full-length + rehearsals

Date: August 10, 2018 17:08

Winning Ugly VXII
"If You Can't Rock Me" is looped and edited on the Japanese Live Licks bonus track.

It's not a sound quality problem.

It's an editing and performance problem.

Caused by the fact that they relied on certain concerts where there were performance problems on some songs. ("Rocks Off" from Twickenham is the other prime example.)

So they made edits and did a poor job with those edits.

Instead of using different , better performances from other concerts.

Is it different to the version on Four Flicks (where Mick sings two identical verses)?

Oh yes, it's definitely a mixing and sound quality-problem anyhow.

Date: August 10, 2018 18:37

Yes. Have you listened to it?? Yes. It's painfully obvious. Different from HBO MSG broadcast.

"Live Licks" was very well regarded on this board from a sound quality standpoint upon its release.

Sound quality and mix is a personal preference,I suppose ..... but,I can't remember anyone ever really objecting to the sound mix of "Live Licks".

The editing is a different story. People were irate over the poor editing.

The edits had to be inspired by the source tracks. Specifically in the cases of "Rocks Off" and "If You Can't Rock Me". Probably also the case with a few other songs on the album as well.

I have no problem with approximately half of the "Live Licks" tracks.

They took CYHMK from the Wiltern Theatre because it was better than the MSG version. (MSG version of CYHMK wasn't bad but Wiltern was a little bit better.)

My problem is that they should have done the same with "Rocks Off" and "If You Can't Rock Me" and a few others but,nobody made the extra effort that would have been required.

Date: August 10, 2018 19:43

I have Four Flicks, The Biggest Bang, Shine A Light, and finally San Jose '99. Since they started releasing Vault releases with Wyman, I haven't watched any of those, except San Jose '99. I'm not saying it's because of Wyman (although they a different, much better band with him), but it appears to coincide with their decline. Having something else from the Licks era would not excite me. Especially since you can see/hear almost all of that material done by a better, younger Stones.

Maybe a Voodoo Lounge release might be good, if for nothing else the little acoustic set they did in the middle. But there's nothing else out there after 1990 that is true, powerful Rolling Stones.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: August 10, 2018 21:14

Yep that was great, interesting to see how good Keith's playing was then compared to the years that followed.

Personally this was the last great Keith tour, the timing is all there, the moves , the power, and he's driving the band.

Keith had his moments during the Bigger Bang tour that followed but he never could quite command the stage again like we see here. I mean he almost outshines Mick with his stage presence.
Damn its a drag that people like him have to get old.

Ronnie is great here too, especially on If You Can't Rock Me, why they don't play that more often is beyond me.

Mick fantastic as usual, notice how Mick needs little space to move like Jagger, just a brilliant performance, Charlie doing it as it should be done as always, thanks for sharing.

Date: August 10, 2018 22:08

.02 cents from an audio only and video only experience with these eras:

1995 Totally Stripped ‘10’
LICKS 2002-2003 Keith Richards is magnificent Mick Jagger is not quite human good. The release on video, four flicks?! Pick your RS angle? All the songs in the setlists? ‘10’

Now, don’t think I’m crazy (too late maybe)
but the 1999 shows... this San Jose for instance... I sense Mick is unhappy. I don’t know, but it doesn’t pull me in at all.

and then, really, my boat floated when I jumped in live in 2015. Following along and attending 3 shows, yeah, floated my boat.

Date: August 10, 2018 22:31

oh and I loved ‘Shine A Light’. Yep.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 10, 2018 23:40

keithsman
Yep that was great, interesting to see how good Keith's playing was then compared to the years that followed.

Personally this was the last great Keith tour, the timing is all there, the moves , the power, and he's driving the band.

Keith had his moments during the Bigger Bang tour that followed but he never could quite command the stage again like we see here. I mean he almost outshines Mick with his stage presence.

Ronnie is great here too, especially on If You Can't Rock Me, why they don't play that more often is beyond me.

Mick fantastic as usual, notice how Mick needs little space to move like Jagger, just a brilliant performance, Charlie doing it as it should be done as always, thanks for sharing.

Strange because that's more or less exactly what a friend - not even a huge Stones fan - told me at one one of the Bridges shows: "Keith is far less dominant this time compared to VL shows", an observation that did not strike me as obvious back then - I was more concerned about the shitty sound system of the BTB tour compared to the full blast sound of VL or Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle which for me was the major backdrop at the time.

Date: August 11, 2018 03:22

Mick was rather absent on San Joe '99, but who cares? Keith and Charlie more than made up for it.

Date: August 11, 2018 03:54

retired_dog
keithsman

Strange because that's more or less exactly what a friend - not even a huge Stones fan - told me at one one of the Bridges shows: "Keith is far less dominant this time compared to VL shows", an observation that did not strike me as obvious back then - I was more concerned about the shitty sound system of the BTB tour compared to the full blast sound of VL or Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle which for me was the major backdrop at the time.

Well yes i see what you mean retired dog, i suppose it's fair to say Keith has been in steady decline since 1990, some would say even before that but i would not agree. As a soloist he developed and improved from the 70's onwards up to 1990, as a rhythm player not so sure, he was playing very intense rhythm in the Taylor years but definitely his solo playing and stage moves developed more through the 80's and early 90's.
I'm relieved to say we are seeing marked improvement in his all over playing this year, so who knows what's in store, possibly some solo shows from Keith at some point, all depends on if the Stones keep on going.

Date: August 11, 2018 04:49

keithsman
retired_dog
keithsman

Well yes i see what you mean retired dog, i suppose it's fair to say Keith has been in steady decline since 1990, some would say even before that but i would not agree. As a soloist he developed and improved from the 70's onwards up to 1990, as a rhythm player not so sure, he was playing very intense rhythm in the Taylor years but definitely his solo playing and stage moves developed more through the 80's and early 90's.
I'm relieved to say we are seeing marked improvement in his all over playing this year, so who knows what's in store, possibly some solo shows from Keith at some point, all depends on if the Stones keep on going.

Keith's last peak was in 1999. It's was a slow decline until Fiji. He was terrible coming back from the long layoff in 2012. It's taken him six years to get some semblance of his playing back. Why would you want to pay to see that in a solo show? His solo album wasn't very good.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 11, 2018 05:02

Keith getting sober for this last tour made a huge difference in his playing, concentration, and by all appearances his overall health.
No reason to think, like Ronnie after he got sober, the current incline in his playing won't continue to improve over the next few tours.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 11, 2018 06:49

DandelionPowderman
35love
franzk

[www.youtube.com]

Either re edit
where is the tunes

They blast out Sad Sad Sad right after those first two minutes smiling smiley

No IORR was the best thing that could happened to this view. From my perspective, starting the show with Sad Sad Sad was a unexpected gem. It felt great, it looked great and it sure sounded great.

Date: August 11, 2018 09:42

24FPS
keithsman
retired_dog
keithsman

Keith's last peak was in 1999. It's was a slow decline until Fiji. He was terrible coming back from the long layoff in 2012. It's taken him six years to get some semblance of his playing back. Why would you want to pay to see that in a solo show? His solo album wasn't very good.

That's a bit like saying Tattoo You wasn't very good, there are many many fans that love Crosseyed Heart along with many reviewers.

To say it was a snooze fest would be the same as saying the second side of Tattoo You was a snooze fest, what you mean was you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't any good.
As for Keith playing a solo tour, of course he could, he plays and sings very well on his Stones set almost every night, his voice is as good as ever, especially on ballads.

As for Keith's last peak being in 1999, did you seen him in 02' 03' he was magnificent at the Palais Royale Ballroom, The Joint , Toronto, The Olympia, Twickenham, The Astoria London and many many other gigs on that tour with lots of footage evidence of his peek playing and stage presence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-12 00:00 by keithsman.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home