Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Devil's Disciple question (and your favorite boot)
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 5, 2018 23:31

Just picked this up at a local shop (I've gotten 3 Stones' boots on vinyl here in the Shoals, took me years to come across them in the big city, guess the country is where to go)

First time I've heard this and it's become a favorite -- Mostly cuz I love hearing the guy in the audience yell stuff between songs AND the crowd singing along with Satisfaction is great!

My question: Anyone familiar with this recording know if it's normal to have multiple speedups on this? Realize it's from the tape transfer, but there seem to be quite a few on this album.

And if you feel so inclined, shout out your favorite boot if you could only choose one -- Thx !

Re: Devil's Disciple question (and your favorite boot)
Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: August 5, 2018 23:43

One of the great boots of all time--an excellent show from '69...probably top five of the tour. Listen to it frequently. My copy doesn't have any tape warble or sound problems. Impossible to name a favorite boot out of thousands.

Date: August 6, 2018 00:03

diverseharmonics
One of the great boots of all time--an excellent show from '69...probably top five of the tour. Listen to it frequently. My copy doesn't have any tape warble or sound problems. Impossible to name a favorite boot out of thousands.

So if your copy doesn't have tape warble does that mean copies have been struck at different times over the years? Not sure how "official" boots are made, but obviously our copies sound different.. Mine speeds up for brief periods

thx

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: August 6, 2018 00:10

Looks like a good find!

My favorite bootleg is the Crystal Cat recording from Cirkus, Stockholm 2003, awesome show and the great sound quality almost make you feel like you were there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 00:10 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 6, 2018 05:07

Favorite boot? CD or vinyl?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 6, 2018 05:15

Wow. My hometown. Alas, I was elsewhere serving in the military at the time. If you can, would you upload this to we transfer for us to download?

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 6, 2018 05:24

A gem of a recording from a legendary tour notable for the "Ya-Ya's" LIV and the Hey Jude SFTD. I wish ABKCO would release any and all the "raw" tapes from this tour, a "Ya-Ya's" naked release.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 6, 2018 13:58

From the lukpac files:

"Baltimore 11/26/69; 60 min; 6.5 m; "Devil's Disciple"
Decent audience tape of one of the best 1969 shows. First available on the
"Devil's Disciple" LP, now the entire tape is on CD in better sound. The
listed VGP CD, using the title of the old LP, is said to be slightly superior
to "Baltimore 1969" though it's the same source tape. The listed CD also
includes Little Queenie from a rare Gimme Shelter outtake video. A new source
tape for the first 30 minutes of the concert started circulating in the summer
of 1995 and was soon made into the misleadingly titled "Live in Washington
1969" CD; later pressings have the title corrected to Baltimore. Its quality
is even better. Love in Vain on "Ya Yas" is from this show, not NYC as
claimed."

VGP-211
DAC-015
DIGGER PRODUCTION [DP 9305]

download from here:
[www.iorr.org]

Date: August 6, 2018 14:00

pmk251
...I wish ABKCO would release any and all the "raw" tapes from this tour, a "Ya-Ya's" naked release.

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2018 14:19

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2018 15:50

According to my notes, the vinyl has speed problems and suffers from wow and flutter.
So a vinyl rip should be useless.

Get the DAC bootleg here:

[iorr.org]

Date: August 6, 2018 17:42

oldschool

Let's say your fav vinyl boot.. Everything in the world is now available on some digital format, but the vinyl finds are a fun throwback

Date: August 6, 2018 17:44

Rank Stranger
According to my notes, the vinyl has speed problems and suffers from wow and flutter.
So a vinyl rip should be useless.

Get the DAC bootleg here:

[iorr.org]

Thanks for this! .. Yes there is some warblely sped up sound.. However I've been spinning it non-stop since acquiring and I don't really hear it anymore smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 17:46 by snoopy2.

Date: August 6, 2018 17:48

Rockman

Thx Rockman! There is no Street Fighting Man, You Gotta Move or Jumping Jack Flash on the vinyl, would love to hear those (I didn't realize they were playing You Gotta Move live then) .. I'll start tracking down that CD (is it a CD?) for the car

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 17:50 by snoopy2.

Date: August 6, 2018 18:37

Comment from dbboots:

"Three different sources availbale.
Source 1: used on "Devil's disciple" (VGP) or "Baltimore 1969" (Digger Production)
source 2: used on "Live in Baltimore 1969 and more" (Moonlight Records), has a better sound but has only 5 songs.
source 3: contains "Street Fighting Man" but has the worst sound.
DAC-015 "Some satanic tour" is a combination of the 3 sources"

[www.dbboots.com]

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 7, 2018 01:07

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-09 02:44 by MILKYWAY.

Date: August 7, 2018 04:03

snoopy2
diverseharmonics

So if your copy doesn't have tape warble does that mean copies have been struck at different times over the years? Not sure how "official" boots are made, but obviously our copies sound different.. Mine speeds up for brief periods

thx
Just played it again--no sound problems. Probably was repressed way back when but a better sounding tape surfaced after vinyl boots had all but died out.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 7, 2018 04:52

snoopy2
oldschool

Let's say your fav vinyl boot.. Everything in the world is now available on some digital format, but the vinyl finds are a fun throwback

I am a bit biased as the 69 tour is my favorite so I have been collecting vinyl boots from that tour. While the Oakland "Liver" boot is the best sounding, IMHO, my favorite from that 69 tour is "Stoned-MSG" on Head records.

The 69 San Diego "Stoneage" (on K&S records) and the 69 Detroit "We Never Really Got It On Till Detroit" (on Contraband) vinyl boots are also good sounding boots. I also think Detroit is one of the best shows of the tour.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 04:57 by oldschool.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 7, 2018 18:31

>>...and the 69 Detroit "We Never Really Got It On Till Detroit" (on Contraband) vinyl boots are also good sounding boots. I also think Detroit is one of the best shows of the tour.[/quote]

As far as I can tell, the Detroit performance of SFTD is the first one with a Taylor solo. IMO hence Jagger's comment about this show. It is fascinating to listen to the band evolve so quickly in those three short weeks with its new lead guitarist.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: August 7, 2018 21:49

My favorite boot is Welcome to New York '72. Crappy sound but iconic cover and unbelievable version of Bye Bye Johnny.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: August 7, 2018 23:49

micwer
My favorite boot is Welcome to New York '72. Crappy sound but iconic cover and unbelievable version of Bye Bye Johnny.

Crappy sound ?????? we dont have the same ears or maybe the same bootleg !!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 23:51 by 5strings.

Date: August 9, 2018 03:18

5strings
micwer

Crappy sound ?????? we dont have the same ears or maybe the same bootleg !!smileys with beer
Quite right---NY 72 is one of the best boots ever---amazing for its time and still terrific! Detroit 69 also very good gig

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 9, 2018 03:25

OH YEAH …. New York 72 ….throttles wide open … fire box glowin' ...….cripplin' stuff

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 9, 2018 07:47

Does anyone know an online store that sells vinyl boots, I’ve picked a few up over the years they are rare enough to find though...I prefer the boot version of Brussels affair to the released version so that’s my fav boot

Date: August 9, 2018 10:17

Paddy
Does anyone know an online store that sells vinyl boots, I’ve picked a few up over the years they are rare enough to find though...I prefer the boot version of Brussels affair to the released version so that’s my fav boot

The boot-version is a collection of different shows than the official one (save BS, MR, SFM and the solo on ADTL).

There are also several versions of the bootleg (fill in the blanks):

Brussels Affair
Bedspring Symphony
Rock Out, Cock Out
Europe '73
etc.

IMO, Europe '73 is the best-sounding bootleg, although I grew up with the boot Brussels Affair.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 9, 2018 10:50

Detroit exists as an 8/16?-tracks pro recording so maybe one day...

The Stones really need a Dick's Picks archival line of releases, not the faint glimmer in the vaults we've had so far.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-09 11:28 by dcba.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 9, 2018 15:17

Stoned-MSG on Head Records and We never really got it on till Detroit were my first bootlegs in the early 70's. Loved both of them.
Stoned-MSG sounded quite good on vinyl.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: August 9, 2018 17:32

Nobody for "Charlie Watts & His Fabolous Rolling Stones"?

I love those versions of Heartbreaker, Rambler and Sympathy. For me the best boot ever, even if the sound is muffled in places.

Date: August 9, 2018 17:40

silkcut1978_
Nobody for "Charlie Watts & His Fabolous Rolling Stones"?

I love those versions of Heartbreaker, Rambler and Sympathy. For me the best boot ever, even if the sound is muffled in places.

All those tracks are released officially in better sound quality (From The Vault).

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: August 9, 2018 17:43

My 1st Stones vinyl boot along with Welcome to New York and In Exotic Honolulu. WISH the full Baltimore show would be released by ABKCO since it was obviously recorded

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home